Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [Xbit] Apple May Dump High-End Mac Pro Desktops
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Xbit] Apple May Dump High-End Mac Pro Desktops - Page 10

post #91 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riou;15528341 
Source

This would mean Apple is abandoning the workstation market. Is this why Final Cut Pro X was so terrible? wink.gif

Now will high end professionals have to settle with low end iMacs? It is probably cheaper to get a high end workstation from Dell, HP or other boutique.

High end professionals don't use Mac.

Photoshop, Illustrator and Final Cut are not high end usages.

I guarantee you that 99% of the Mac Pros out there in use are complete and utter overkill for the loads they handle.

Secondly, buisnesses don't have warm fuzzy feelings towards corporations and their products like users tend to develop. If I'm running a studio, I really couldn't care less if my desktop towers are made of smooth metal...all I care is what's in them and how much it costs to run them. Apple's Mac Pro is a MAJOR fail on those fronts and will cost you 3-4x the price for the same performance you could get elsewhere.

Trust me, I did price it out for some reason when buying new workstations just to see what the deal really was.

You can't pillage business wallets like you can with personal wallets, that's likely one of the main reasons for getting out of the market. It's simply not going to be as profitable as selling "shinies" to people that don't know better or don't care to know better.

REMEMBER THIS: Apple is now more profitable than the biggest and most evil oil companies on this planet. If you think they do ANYTHING that wouldn't directly increase their profit margins no matter the cost to their customers, you are a damned fool.
Edited by kweechy - 11/2/11 at 1:05am
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
post #92 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweechy View Post
High end professionals don't use Mac.

Photoshop, Illustrator and Final Cut are not high end usages.

I guarantee you that 99% of the Mac Pros out there in use are complete and utter overkill for the loads they handle.

Secondly, buisnesses don't have warm fuzzy feelings towards corporations and their products like users tend to develop. If I'm running a studio, I really couldn't care less if my desktop towers are made of smooth metal...all I care is what's in them and how much it costs to run them. Apple's Mac Pro is a MAJOR fail on those fronts and will cost you 3-4x the price for the same performance you could get elsewhere.

Trust me, I did price it out for some reason when buying new workstations just to see what the deal really was.
High end professionals don't use Macs? You're joking right?

Additionally, it isn't 3-4x the price. The single processor base model will cost you $1000 more (regardless of whether you upgrade the CPU or not) over the competition and the dual processor model is on par with its competition.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #93 of 221
Also I need to add that I personally think you're a sucker if you buy a computer these days that cannot be overclocked. The amount of headroom in current architctures above the stock speeds makes it no longer excusable to buy into locked BIOS platforms.

Previously, the headroom on top of high end chips for heavy OCing was under 30% and you needed great cooling etc to make use of that.

Now, you can basically OC the Sandy chips nearly 50% out of the box with an $80 closed cooling loop.

So not only are you adding Apple's markup (for example, this applies to any prebuilt workstation mfg they just happen to mark up the highest of them all) to the cost of the components, but you end up with a machine that is 50% slower than it should be.
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
post #94 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweechy View Post
Also I need to add that I personally think you're a sucker if you buy a computer these days that cannot be overclocked. The amount of headroom in current architctures above the stock speeds makes it no longer excusable to buy into locked BIOS platforms.

Previously, the headroom on top of high end chips for heavy OCing was under 30% and you needed great cooling etc to make use of that.

Now, you can basically OC the Sandy chips nearly 50% out of the box with an $80 closed cooling loop.

So not only are you adding Apple's markup (for example, this applies to any prebuilt workstation mfg they just happen to mark up the highest of them all) to the cost of the components, but you end up with a machine that is 50% slower than it should be.
People who buy Macs don't really over clock. Additionally, the majority of Macs have a laptop, HTPC, or all-in-one form factor, which you really can't safely over clock due to heating. That leaves the Mac Pro, which has a very small market segment -- it would be useful, but you know what you're getting into before you purchase it so it obviously isn't a large factor in your purchase.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #95 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
High end professionals don't use Macs? You're joking right?

Additionally, it isn't 3-4x the price. The single processor base model will cost you $1000 more (regardless of whether you upgrade the CPU or not) over the competition and the dual processor model is on par with its competition.
I am not joking. I am talking about truly high end professionals. The type that are able to 100% saturate all threads for days on end and require the hardware for that.

Photoshop and the Adobe suite is NOT professional grade. Their products aren't even gamma correct actually and are very fail at a lot of rudimentary math operations.

I work in high end film visuals at a studio that handles movies with budgets over $100M. I assure you, no companies like ours have a single Apple in sight other than employee's iPhones. They simply are not cost effective and Apple's preferred business model is essentially to gouge as hard as reasonably possible on each item sold; in markets where the users are too savvy to fall for it, that doesn't work.

The companies that ARE using Mac Pros, could be using $1,000 PCs to handle the same load with no discernable difference.
Edited by kweechy - 11/2/11 at 1:20am
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
post #96 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post
People who buy Macs don't really over clock. Additionally, the majority of Macs have a laptop, HTPC, or all-in-one form factor, which you really can't safely over clock due to heating. That leaves the Mac Pro, which has a very small market segment -- it would be useful, but you know what you're getting into before you purchase it so it obviously isn't a large factor in your purchase.
No I'm strictly talking about the Mac Pro or any of their machines you'd use for "professional application".

Totally understandable that you can't OC laptops and HTPCs, no need.
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
post #97 of 221
If you're not an enthusiast, which most people are not, then you have no interest in figuring out how to overclock. It is pointless for most people. They just want a computer that works when they turn it on, and runs the programs they install on it, simple as that.
SFF Goodness
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASRock z87m OC formula MSI GTX 780 GAMING 8GB G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk Extreme II 480 GB Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-D14 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM x3 Das Model S Professional Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w Silverstone SG10 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Xfi Titanium HD Audioengine 5+ Velodyne Impact 12 
  hide details  
Reply
SFF Goodness
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASRock z87m OC formula MSI GTX 780 GAMING 8GB G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk Extreme II 480 GB Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-D14 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM x3 Das Model S Professional Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w Silverstone SG10 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Xfi Titanium HD Audioengine 5+ Velodyne Impact 12 
  hide details  
Reply
post #98 of 221
This should shock no one, Apple is more and more a mobile device company, not a computer company.
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
SBD:
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte ga-z77x-up4 tb EVGA GTX 980 SC 32GB G.SKILL Trident X F3-1600C7Q-32GTX  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Western Digtal 2TB RE4 Plextor 24x DL Burner ThermalTake Water 2.0 Extreme 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Acer XB270HU 2560x1440, IPS-type panel, 144hz, ... EIZO FG2421 1920x1080 VA 120Hz QuickFire Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Lepa G1000 1kw Corsair 550D Logitech G400 Roccat Taito 
AudioAudio
Xonar Essence ST Niles SI-275 Amplifier 
  hide details  
Reply
post #99 of 221
19k for fully upgraded MAC Pro .... i could build that for 4k .... maybe 6 depending on RAM......

Dell build is about 11k for compairable build .... so idk ..... fail
Mini Dragon
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 ASRock H77M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H77 GIGABYTE 680  CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
MZ-7TD500BW Samsung 840  white laser ... corsair H90 Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Qnix QX2700 Asus VS247H-P Asus VS247H-P Asus VS247H-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky MK Green LED Full Board Silverstone Tek Strider Series ATX12V/EPS12V 55... Fractal Node 304 Logitech G9 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
X Trak M-AUDIO BX5 G930 
  hide details  
Reply
Mini Dragon
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 ASRock H77M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H77 GIGABYTE 680  CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
MZ-7TD500BW Samsung 840  white laser ... corsair H90 Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Qnix QX2700 Asus VS247H-P Asus VS247H-P Asus VS247H-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky MK Green LED Full Board Silverstone Tek Strider Series ATX12V/EPS12V 55... Fractal Node 304 Logitech G9 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
X Trak M-AUDIO BX5 G930 
  hide details  
Reply
post #100 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
If you're not an enthusiast, which most people are not, then you have no interest in figuring out how to overclock. It is pointless for most people. They just want a computer that works when they turn it on, and runs the programs they install on it, simple as that.
This is an artcile talking about Apple dumping their high end "professional" computers. Not the iMac or Mac Mini.
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [Xbit] Apple May Dump High-End Mac Pro Desktops