Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Battlefield 3...windows low memory error...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battlefield 3...windows low memory error...

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Ok every time I play battlefield 3, after the game I get a message "windows is running slow do you want to change it to basic theme" or something like that...

My computer is not running slow, the game is the same, nothing is slow and I'm not sure if battlefield 3 can fill up 9gb of ram...does anyone know what the problem might be...I tried lowering from ultra to high, low, med, whatever...also my card is not overclocked neither is my cpu, here are the specs...

Intel i7-920
Motherboard: don't know
GPU: ATi Radeon 6870 1gb
9gb of ram
windows 7 64bit

Also I'm not running anything in the background it can't possibly take up all the ram...
post #2 of 10
It's just an issue with Aero that happens in multiple games, it really has nothing to do with your computer performing slow or anything like that.
post #3 of 10
Make sure you have a pagefile enabled and go into the compatibly section of the BF3.exe and set it to disable aero and background comp.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus X99-A 980 ti Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 BR/DVD/CD-R combo. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit 27" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Corsair 750 Rosewill Thor Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus X99-A 980 ti Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 BR/DVD/CD-R combo. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit 27" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Corsair 750 Rosewill Thor Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks, at least I know it's not my computer...but how do I enable pagefile and for the compatibility do I just click on battlefield 3 then properties under compatibility? What after? Sorry this is the first time I have a problem like this...
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clk55r1d3h View Post
Thanks, at least I know it's not my computer...but how do I enable pagefile and for the compatibility do I just click on battlefield 3 then properties under compatibility? What after? Sorry this is the first time I have a problem like this...
No problem.

Let's focus on setting up the compatibility for the .exe

1. Right click on your Battlefield 3 exe on your desktop, and click properties

2. Click the "Compatibility" tab, make sure these boxes are checked, Disable Visual Themes, Disable Desktop Composition, and Run this programs as an administrator

----

Once you've done that, we can work on the pagefile.

Click your windows start button and pull up control panel.

Once you have the control panel up we're going to want to go to System and Security, and from there System. On the left side of the system tab you should have "Control Panel Home" with 4 options. Device Manager, Remote Settings, System Protection, Advanced System Settings.

Click on Advanced System Settings. This should pull up a system properties box, if not already there, make sure you're on the Advanced tab, and under Performance, click settings. Click the advanced tab and "Change..." on virtual memory.

Once here, it should tell you at the bottom the minimum, recommended, and currently allocated virtual memory. Click the "Custom size" bullet, and in the Initial Size, and Maximum size enter the Recommended page file size, and click set, and then OK.

Your PC may ask you to restart, be sure to restart and try it out and report back.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus X99-A 980 ti Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 BR/DVD/CD-R combo. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit 27" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Corsair 750 Rosewill Thor Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus X99-A 980 ti Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 BR/DVD/CD-R combo. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit 27" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Corsair 750 Rosewill Thor Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost23 View Post
No problem.

Let's focus on setting up the compatibility for the .exe

1. Right click on your Battlefield 3 exe on your desktop, and click properties

2. Click the "Compatibility" tab, make sure these boxes are checked, Disable Visual Themes, Disable Desktop Composition, and Run this programs as an administrator

----

Once you've done that, we can work on the pagefile.

Click your windows start button and pull up control panel.

Once you have the control panel up we're going to want to go to System and Security, and from there System. On the left side of the system tab you should have "Control Panel Home" with 4 options. Device Manager, Remote Settings, System Protection, Advanced System Settings.

Click on Advanced System Settings. This should pull up a system properties box, if not already there, make sure you're on the Advanced tab, and under Performance, click settings. Click the advanced tab and "Change..." on virtual memory.

Once here, it should tell you at the bottom the minimum, recommended, and currently allocated virtual memory. Click the "Custom size" bullet, and in the Initial Size, and Maximum size enter the Recommended page file size, and click set, and then OK.

Your PC may ask you to restart, be sure to restart and try it out and report back.
Ok cool thanks alot I will try that when I get home...also what is the minimum and maximum size that I should use? What do you guys use?
post #7 of 10
I use the amount of my RAM so, 4095MB
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[ Q6600 2.4GHz ] [ ASUS P5K ] [ Radeon HD5830 ] [ 4GB 800MHz ] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[ WD 500GB SATA ] [ DVD Burner/Reader 16x ] [ W7 Ultimate x64 ] [ Viewsonic 19" ] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft [ 600W ] [ Antec 900 ] Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[ Q6600 2.4GHz ] [ ASUS P5K ] [ Radeon HD5830 ] [ 4GB 800MHz ] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[ WD 500GB SATA ] [ DVD Burner/Reader 16x ] [ W7 Ultimate x64 ] [ Viewsonic 19" ] 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft [ 600W ] [ Antec 900 ] Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clk55r1d3h View Post
Ok cool thanks alot I will try that when I get home...also what is the minimum and maximum size that I should use? What do you guys use?
Your page file should be larger than your amount of RAM by one half. I have 8 gig's so I have a 12 gig Page.file. If you use 4 gigs of RAM you should have a 6 gig page.file
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
I have the pagefile disabled for the sake of my SSD, my C drive, where BF3 is located. If I turn on pagefile for my D drive, my RAID, will that benefit this Aero situation at all?

I like to keep the themes/Aero on, even when gaming, so I won't apply the compatibility fixes; but the warning messages get to be annoying.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfemaN View Post
I have the pagefile disabled for the sake of my SSD, my C drive, where BF3 is located. If I turn on pagefile for my D drive, my RAID, will that benefit this Aero situation at all?

I like to keep the themes/Aero on, even when gaming, so I won't apply the compatibility fixes; but the warning messages get to be annoying.
Unless you game in windowed, as soon as you quit gaming the themes reappear, is it really that big of a deal? And the pagefile may help, yes, I would try it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus X99-A 980 ti Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 BR/DVD/CD-R combo. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit 27" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Corsair 750 Rosewill Thor Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus X99-A 980 ti Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung Spinpoint F3 BR/DVD/CD-R combo. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit 27" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Corsair 750 Rosewill Thor Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Battlefield 3...windows low memory error...