Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Multi-parts advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-parts advice

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
ok my current project white chocolate is in the works but i need some advice. i would of put this in the graphics area, but since it has multi parts, i figured i put it in the general area.

im a father, so not much spare cash so im trying to keep cash spent to a minimum. current cpu is an i3 2100. screen kept at 1920 x 1080.

i'm looking for a mobo that is all black, affordable (-100$), and is a m-atx (sli is prefered. & atx is ok if it's within price range), i currently have a bfg gtx 260 768. here are my q's

1) need suggestions for the mobo
2) graphics: do i try and get another 260, or should i go for 460 sli? i had found a guy with a reference 470 that i haggled down to 120, but i had to pay a bill i'd snatch that if i could.
3). lastly i was looking for a hale90 550w. but can't seem to find them. they discontinued?

i have parts i don't need but cant sell cause of rep.
post #2 of 10
ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 z68 is $124.99 shipped off newegg. It's an absolutely solid motherboard for 1155, and its solid black (full crossfire / SLI support too). It's ATX though. For a mATX board, you're going to need to spend a little more, as the GOOD ones are spendy. Asus Gene-z and the P8P67 Pro-m / z68 variant. The good mATX boards aren't solid black either. They're black / red or black / blue.

As far as the GPU, honestly.....ditch that 260 if you can. A single 460 1GB will double the 260 that you have now in performance. Dual 460's (1GB) in SLI will destroy any game out there. If you can get a 470 or a 560Ti for cheap, those are also solid options.

Not sure about the PSU. But if you stick with the 460's in SLI, you'll be wanting around 550w worth of a solid PSU. If you jump into 470's or 560Ti's, you'll be wanting about 650w (for SLI). There's a TON of solid PSU's in that wattage range, right around $50-60 new at newegg. Just have to make sure its a quality unit.

And selling your old gear....craigslist or ebay. Sadly you cannot sell here until you reach 35 rep points. You CAN, however, offer what you've got to somebody that already has a wanted thread up.
Edited by pioneerisloud - 11/7/11 at 12:04am
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
I understand 100% with the build on the budget thing. Im doing my systems one piece at a time with fun money i get.

As for the REP. Start trying to help people. Working on it myself. Otherwise ebay is your friend thats always bugging you for money.

But onto your Qs.

MOBO MSI H61M-E23-B3 Not many black M-ATXs. normaly reserved for full size boards. Cant comment at all about it but seeing as you have an i3 2100, OCing is not a concern.

You have a 560 in your sig rig, so did you mean to say a second 560 to SLI?
Top Heavy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570k ASUS P8z77-I Deluxe MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Samsung MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo ThermalRight Macho Rev B Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung SyncMaster P2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 3200 Rosewill GreenPower 630W Custom Built mITX bench made from the carcas of... Logitech M510 
Audio
Onboard 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Top Heavy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570k ASUS P8z77-I Deluxe MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Samsung MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo ThermalRight Macho Rev B Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung SyncMaster P2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 3200 Rosewill GreenPower 630W Custom Built mITX bench made from the carcas of... Logitech M510 
Audio
Onboard 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 z68 is $124.99 shipped off newegg. It's an absolutely solid motherboard for 1155, and its solid black (full crossfire / SLI support too). It's ATX though. For a mATX board, you're going to need to spend a little more, as the GOOD ones are spendy. Asus Gene-z and the P8P67 Pro-m / z68 variant. The good mATX boards aren't solid black either. They're black / red or black / blue.

As far as the GPU, honestly.....ditch that 260 if you can. A single 460 1GB will double the 260 that you have now in performance. Dual 460's (1GB) in SLI will destroy any game out there. If you can get a 470 or a 560Ti for cheap, those are also solid options.

Not sure about the PSU. But if you stick with the 460's in SLI, you'll be wanting around 550w worth of a solid PSU. If you jump into 470's or 560Ti's, you'll be wanting about 650w (for SLI). There's a TON of solid PSU's in that wattage range, right around $50-60 new at newegg. Just have to make sure its a quality unit.

And selling your old gear....craigslist or ebay. Sadly you cannot sell here until you reach 35 rep points. You CAN, however, offer what you've got to somebody that already has a wanted thread up.
i got the 260 so i can have a vid card. the hd2k just wasn't cutting it. i just was looking at the ASRock Extreme3. and 2x checking the 470, im thinking if i go the 470 route. i will just need a single card. if thats the case i could get a h67. something like a ecs H67H2-M
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_safe_HAVEN View Post
I understand 100% with the build on the budget thing. Im doing my systems one piece at a time with fun money i get.

As for the REP. Start trying to help people. Working on it myself. Otherwise ebay is your friend thats always bugging you for money.

But onto your Qs.

MOBO MSI H61M-E23-B3 Not many black M-ATXs. normaly reserved for full size boards. Cant comment at all about it but seeing as you have an i3 2100, OCing is not a concern.

You have a 560 in your sig rig, so did you mean to say a second 560 to SLI?
yes a friend here told me about my sig rig. i had did a major part out for obvious reasons i havent updated it yet. ill do that now.

Also the H61M-E23-B3 looks nice. but i may need a sound card? i don't think that one will power my speakers. but should be ok with headphones? on the otherhand father's need 1 ear free to listen lol
Edited by _TRU_ - 11/7/11 at 12:14am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by _TRU_ View Post
i got the 260 so i can have a vid card. the hd2k just wasn't cutting it. i just was looking at the ASRock Extreme3. and 2x checking the 470, im thinking if i go the 470 route. i will just need a single card. if thats the case i could get a h67. something like a ecs H67H2-M
You COULD hypothetically go for any old cheap H67 board, yes.

However, it would be nice to have that "future proof" capability of grabbing something P67 or Z68. Just in case you grabbed another i5 2500k, or an Ivy Bridge next year or something. Not to mention SLI / Crossfire capabilities. Budget or not, it COULD come up later on.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
You COULD hypothetically go for any old cheap H67 board, yes.

However, it would be nice to have that "future proof" capability of grabbing something P67 or Z68. Just in case you grabbed another i5 2500k, or an Ivy Bridge next year or something. Not to mention SLI / Crossfire capabilities. Budget or not, it COULD come up later on.
true
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
this one is nice ECS P67H2-A2 hmmm. i suppose getting a p67 or z68 and 1 card would leave room for a cpu upgrade and sli in future? so you were right. i see it now. ok. ty for advice. ill get a p67 / z68 and shoot for a single 470 for the moment. looks to be cheaper than SLI'ing 460's atm. since i want them to be reference cards.
Edited by _TRU_ - 11/7/11 at 12:27am
post #9 of 10
Hey heads up man. Ran across this earlier.

http://www.overclock.net/main-compon...power-ecs.html
Top Heavy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570k ASUS P8z77-I Deluxe MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Samsung MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo ThermalRight Macho Rev B Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung SyncMaster P2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 3200 Rosewill GreenPower 630W Custom Built mITX bench made from the carcas of... Logitech M510 
Audio
Onboard 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Top Heavy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570k ASUS P8z77-I Deluxe MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G Samsung MV-3V4G3D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo ThermalRight Macho Rev B Windows 7 Professional 64bit Samsung SyncMaster P2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 3200 Rosewill GreenPower 630W Custom Built mITX bench made from the carcas of... Logitech M510 
Audio
Onboard 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_safe_HAVEN View Post
Hey heads up man. Ran across this earlier.

http://www.overclock.net/main-compon...power-ecs.html
saw that too. but it's a b2 version
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Multi-parts advice