Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › MSI 990FXA-GD80 questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MSI 990FXA-GD80 questions - Page 2

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hmm, just noticed the manual says that I have to put my two sticks in slot 1 (nearest the CPU) and slot 3 for dual-channel operation. This will be impossible with my TRUE rev.C and fan (and I imagine most large coolers), so how am I supposed to use this board? My current board lets me put two sticks in the slots furthest away from the CPU.
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k Asus Z97-A Powercolour HD6950 2GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F4 2TB Scythe Kotetsu Windows8.1 x64 Dell U2412M & P2314T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS X4 Sidewinder eVGA SuperNova G2 750W Coolermaster HAF XB A4Tech 
Audio
Onboard Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k Asus Z97-A Powercolour HD6950 2GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F4 2TB Scythe Kotetsu Windows8.1 x64 Dell U2412M & P2314T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS X4 Sidewinder eVGA SuperNova G2 750W Coolermaster HAF XB A4Tech 
Audio
Onboard Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
So now I need to buy 8GB low-profile DDR3 (and sell off the Corsair Vengeance I already bought which won't fit!) and so I'm looking for some advice on what will work and overclock (i.e. give the best speeds) with this board.

I can get 1.35v Mushkin Blackline for £36

or 1.65v Corsair XMS3 for £30

or 1.5v Corsair XMS3 for £41.76

I've also seen some 1.5v Crucial Rendition, which would be the cheapest at £26 for 8GB, but I think I'd prefer something with some sort of cover/heat spreader http://www.ebuyer.com/291000-crucial-4gb-ddr3-1333mhz-rendition-memory-module-cl9-1-5v-rm51264ba1339-rm51264ba1339

All of these are 9-9-9-24 sticks

I realise the Rendition is 1333Mhz whilst the rest are 1600Mhz, but the tests I've seen don't seem to show much benefit and there's no guarantee anything would run at 1600Mhz with a Phenom II X4 (which only officially supports 1333Mhz) anyway. If I recall correctly, running 1333Mhz with tighter timings (i.e. tighter than 9-9-9-24) gives more of a boost, so if anyone knows if any of the above (or something else) will run at tighter timings, that would be useful information as well.

I'm also a bit confused, as I've been told that this board supports 2x16 CF (if slots 2 and 4 are empty) but I just read this article which says that one of the advantages of the 1090fx chipset will be "2x16 CF"!
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k Asus Z97-A Powercolour HD6950 2GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F4 2TB Scythe Kotetsu Windows8.1 x64 Dell U2412M & P2314T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS X4 Sidewinder eVGA SuperNova G2 750W Coolermaster HAF XB A4Tech 
Audio
Onboard Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k Asus Z97-A Powercolour HD6950 2GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F4 2TB Scythe Kotetsu Windows8.1 x64 Dell U2412M & P2314T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS X4 Sidewinder eVGA SuperNova G2 750W Coolermaster HAF XB A4Tech 
Audio
Onboard Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by doveman View Post

Hmm, just noticed the manual says that I have to put my two sticks in slot 1 (nearest the CPU) and slot 3 for dual-channel operation. This will be impossible with my TRUE rev.C and fan (and I imagine most large coolers), so how am I supposed to use this board? My current board lets me put two sticks in the slots furthest away from the CPU.

You can use slot two and four for your RAM and dual channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doveman View Post

So now I need to buy 8GB low-profile DDR3 (and sell off the Corsair Vengeance I already bought which won't fit!) and so I'm looking for some advice on what will work and overclock (i.e. give the best speeds) with this board.
I can get 1.35v Mushkin Blackline for £36
or 1.65v Corsair XMS3 for £30
or 1.5v Corsair XMS3 for £41.76
I've also seen some 1.5v Crucial Rendition, which would be the cheapest at £26 for 8GB, but I think I'd prefer something with some sort of cover/heat spreader http://www.ebuyer.com/291000-crucial-4gb-ddr3-1333mhz-rendition-memory-module-cl9-1-5v-rm51264ba1339-rm51264ba1339
All of these are 9-9-9-24 sticks
I realise the Rendition is 1333Mhz whilst the rest are 1600Mhz, but the tests I've seen don't seem to show much benefit and there's no guarantee anything would run at 1600Mhz with a Phenom II X4 (which only officially supports 1333Mhz) anyway. If I recall correctly, running 1333Mhz with tighter timings (i.e. tighter than 9-9-9-24) gives more of a boost, so if anyone knows if any of the above (or something else) will run at tighter timings, that would be useful information as well.
I'm also a bit confused, as I've been told that this board supports 2x16 CF (if slots 2 and 4 are empty) but I just read this article which says that one of the advantages of the 1090fx chipset will be "2x16 CF"!

Skip those Crucial and the mushkin at 1.35V, AMD have some problem with RAM at lover voltage. The XMS3 for 30 looks good, but if you can get this ones: http://www.ebuyer.com/274035-corsair-8gb-2x4gb-ddr3-1600mhz-low-profile-vengeance-memory-kit-cl9-cml8gx3m2a1600c9 it would be much better option.
The New One
(19 items)
 
Ocing rig z97
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Gigabyte Z170X Ulta Gaming GTX 1080 HoF Mushking 4*4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 Crucial M500 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Toshiba Raystorm Pro CPU Windows 10 Professional BenQ XL2420Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Corsair AX1200i HAF X Thermaltake Saphira 
Mouse PadAudioOther
QCK Gamecome 780 APC 1500VA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core G3258 Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum G.Skill TridentX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Crucial MX100 Extreme cooling Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 
Power
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300V G2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum Crucial Ballistix Tracer 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Crucial M4 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 Toshiba LG EK Supreme HF Full Nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-320QP Swiftech MCP655-D XSPC Reservoir Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420z TT eSports Meka G1 Corsair AX1200i Cooler Master HAF X 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
TT eSports Saphira QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Profess... Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
The New One
(19 items)
 
Ocing rig z97
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Gigabyte Z170X Ulta Gaming GTX 1080 HoF Mushking 4*4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 Crucial M500 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Toshiba Raystorm Pro CPU Windows 10 Professional BenQ XL2420Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Corsair AX1200i HAF X Thermaltake Saphira 
Mouse PadAudioOther
QCK Gamecome 780 APC 1500VA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core G3258 Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum G.Skill TridentX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Crucial MX100 Extreme cooling Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 
Power
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300V G2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum Crucial Ballistix Tracer 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Crucial M4 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 Toshiba LG EK Supreme HF Full Nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-320QP Swiftech MCP655-D XSPC Reservoir Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420z TT eSports Meka G1 Corsair AX1200i Cooler Master HAF X 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
TT eSports Saphira QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Profess... Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint19 View Post

You can use slot two and four for your RAM and dual channel.

Not on this board you can't. Stupid and annoying I know, but there it is!
Quote:
Skip those Crucial and the mushkin at 1.35V, AMD have some problem with RAM at lover voltage. The XMS3 for 30 looks good, but if you can get this ones: http://www.ebuyer.com/274035-corsair-8gb-2x4gb-ddr3-1600mhz-low-profile-vengeance-memory-kit-cl9-cml8gx3m2a1600c9 it would be much better option.

Phew, luckily I ordered that Corsair LP last night and not the Mushkin 1.35v, mainly because the only supplier that had it wanted £7 delivery and I got free delivery on the Corsair. From ebuyer smile.gif (they also had the TIM and TIM remover I needed and a couple of fans, which got my order over £50)
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k Asus Z97-A Powercolour HD6950 2GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F4 2TB Scythe Kotetsu Windows8.1 x64 Dell U2412M & P2314T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS X4 Sidewinder eVGA SuperNova G2 750W Coolermaster HAF XB A4Tech 
Audio
Onboard Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k Asus Z97-A Powercolour HD6950 2GB 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F4 2TB Scythe Kotetsu Windows8.1 x64 Dell U2412M & P2314T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS X4 Sidewinder eVGA SuperNova G2 750W Coolermaster HAF XB A4Tech 
Audio
Onboard Realtek 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 15
Nice wink.gif
The New One
(19 items)
 
Ocing rig z97
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Gigabyte Z170X Ulta Gaming GTX 1080 HoF Mushking 4*4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 Crucial M500 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Toshiba Raystorm Pro CPU Windows 10 Professional BenQ XL2420Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Corsair AX1200i HAF X Thermaltake Saphira 
Mouse PadAudioOther
QCK Gamecome 780 APC 1500VA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core G3258 Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum G.Skill TridentX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Crucial MX100 Extreme cooling Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 
Power
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300V G2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum Crucial Ballistix Tracer 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Crucial M4 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 Toshiba LG EK Supreme HF Full Nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-320QP Swiftech MCP655-D XSPC Reservoir Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420z TT eSports Meka G1 Corsair AX1200i Cooler Master HAF X 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
TT eSports Saphira QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Profess... Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
The New One
(19 items)
 
Ocing rig z97
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Gigabyte Z170X Ulta Gaming GTX 1080 HoF Mushking 4*4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 Crucial M500 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Toshiba Raystorm Pro CPU Windows 10 Professional BenQ XL2420Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Corsair AX1200i HAF X Thermaltake Saphira 
Mouse PadAudioOther
QCK Gamecome 780 APC 1500VA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core G3258 Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum G.Skill TridentX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Crucial MX100 Extreme cooling Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 
Power
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300V G2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum Crucial Ballistix Tracer 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Crucial M4 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 Toshiba LG EK Supreme HF Full Nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-320QP Swiftech MCP655-D XSPC Reservoir Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420z TT eSports Meka G1 Corsair AX1200i Cooler Master HAF X 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
TT eSports Saphira QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Profess... Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › MSI 990FXA-GD80 questions