Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Help me upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me upgrade

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
In February or March 2012 i'll sell my 6870s, add cash and buy a GTX 780 (Kepler). I pretty much decided on this. What i can't decide on is what should i do afterwards.

In 2012 summer i'll go Germany to work and save money. I'll get back to where i live in September. That leaves me lots of upgrade options as both Ivy Bridge and AMD Piledriver will be out by then as well as dual gpu cards from both AMD and NVIDIA.

So in September i can either leave my current CPU-RAM-MOBO combination intact and get a GTX 790 and SLI with my GTX 780 for some 3-way SLI awesomeness or i sell cpu, mobo and ram then build a rig from scratch (using Ivy Bridge or Piledriver). The thing is, i can't decide whether my cpu, ram and mobo will be bottlenecking aforementioned GPU setup. I really don't care about e-peen and don't want to waste money on hardware which is basically 5-10% percent faster than my current one. All i care is the performance i get in video games in terms of solid FPS not 0.001 more points in some benchmarks. Because my money will be limited (around 1500-2000€)

Oh and one other thing i'm pretty much decided on buying is a new 1080p 24" LED monitor as my current 20", VGA LCD with 1680x1050 res is clearly not the monitor to use with the PC i'm planning to build. I'm pretty sure some people think it's plain dumb to buy a GTX 790 and 780 just for 1080p but let me remind you i'm not just gamer but a BOINCer as well. I'll be running Seti@Home.

TY in advance for constructive and helpful replies.
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/ EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB 2x3TB 7200RPM HDDs EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/ EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB 2x3TB 7200RPM HDDs EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
From what I've heard, we won't see replacements for the GTX 570/580 till Q2 2012. And I'm pretty sure that Kepler will be the GeForce 6xx series.

I myself was looking for a new 24" screen and many people suggested the Samsung BX2450. If you have more money to burn then I'm sure that a Dell screen would serve you better, but considering the BX2450's original RRP was $500 and it's now $200 I know which I'd go for.
Edited by MercurySteam - 11/8/11 at 5:19am
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySteam View Post
From what I've heard, we won't see replacements for the GTX 570/580 till Q2 2012. And I'm pretty sure that Kepler will be the GeForce 6xx series.
I hope that rumour is false because i'm very impatient.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySteam View Post
I myself was looking for a new 24" screen and many people suggested the Samsung BX2450. If you have more money to burn then I'm sure that a Dell screen would serve you better, but considering the BX2450's original RRP was $500 and it's now $200 I know which I'd go for.
Thanks i'll note that.
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/ EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB 2x3TB 7200RPM HDDs EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/ EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB 2x3TB 7200RPM HDDs EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
I hope that rumour is false because i'm very impatient.
Here's a nice read: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvidi...s-225329.shtml

Kepler is definitely the 600 series.

EDIT: Looks like we may see the first desktop GPUs with Kepler architecture as early as April 2012: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nvidi...t-222800.shtml
Edited by MercurySteam - 11/8/11 at 5:28am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
In February or March 2012 i'll sell my 6870s, add cash and buy a GTX 780 (Kepler). I pretty much decided on this. What i can't decide on is what should i do afterwards.

In 2012 summer i'll go Germany to work and save money. I'll get back to where i live in September. That leaves me lots of upgrade options as both Ivy Bridge and AMD Piledriver will be out by then as well as dual gpu cards from both AMD and NVIDIA.

So in September i can either leave my current CPU-RAM-MOBO combination intact and get a GTX 790 and SLI with my GTX 780 for some 3-way SLI awesomeness or i sell cpu, mobo and ram then build a rig from scratch (using Ivy Bridge or Piledriver). The thing is, i can't decide whether my cpu, ram and mobo will be bottlenecking aforementioned GPU setup. I really don't care about e-peen and don't want to waste money on hardware which is basically 5-10% percent faster than my current one. All i care is the performance i get in video games in terms of solid FPS not 0.001 more points in some benchmarks. Because my money will be limited (around 1500-2000€)

Oh and one other thing i'm pretty much decided on buying is a new 1080p 24" LED monitor as my current 20", VGA LCD with 1680x1050 res is clearly not the monitor to use with the PC i'm planning to build. I'm pretty sure some people think it's plain dumb to buy a GTX 790 and 780 just for 1080p but let me remind you i'm not just gamer but a BOINCer as well. I'll be running Seti@Home.

TY in advance for constructive and helpful replies.
Get a Sandy Bridge-E or sli by buying two gtx680.
Cyrus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100T Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 MSI HD6950 TF III PE 2GB unlocked @ HD6970 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 @ 1800MHz ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HP dvd1260 Zalman CNPS 9900 NT Windows7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster P2250 21.5" 1920x1080 Logitech G105 Corsair gs600 80+ Bronze Corsair Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Spectre Starcraft II  Razer Goliathus Dragon AgeII Edition (speed) 
  hide details  
Reply
Cyrus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100T Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 MSI HD6950 TF III PE 2GB unlocked @ HD6970 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 @ 1800MHz ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HP dvd1260 Zalman CNPS 9900 NT Windows7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster P2250 21.5" 1920x1080 Logitech G105 Corsair gs600 80+ Bronze Corsair Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Spectre Starcraft II  Razer Goliathus Dragon AgeII Edition (speed) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket View Post
Get a Sandy Bridge-E or sli by buying two gtx680.
It looks to me that Sandy Bridge E CPUs will cost a fortune. Not mentioning über elite and thus helluva expensive X79 mobos plus 4 channel ram kits... seems to be it's a waste of money don't ya think?
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/ EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB 2x3TB 7200RPM HDDs EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
BACI DESTROYER
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7 w/ EK Monoblock ASUS Maximus Gene VIII NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Gskill DDR4 3200Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB 2x3TB 7200RPM HDDs EK Revo D5, Nemesis GTS 420 + 280 rads, 5x 14cm... Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schiit Stack DAC&AMP + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Your talking ahead quite a few months here mate. Ivy is Q2 2012, and so is the GTX600 series, making decisions for you at this point in time wouldn't be logical, since you also mention summer 2012 when you return from Germany.

Buy what you need at the time....
 
X79 Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6950X @ 4.0Ghz Asus Rampage V Extreme [Bios:3101] 2x EVGA GeForce Titan X SC Editions in SLI 32GB (4×8) Corsair Dominator Platinums (3000Mhz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Nvme 2x 256GB Vertex 4 SSD (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda [Storage] Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x 27" Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 144hz  Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX 80 Plus Titanium 
CaseAudio
Lian Li PC-O8WX ATX Cube Case Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930K (C2) @ (4.6Ghz) Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Bios 3204) 3x EVGA GTX780Ti's SC Editions 32GB (4x8GB) G-Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4's (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 64MB Cache Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro 64Bit & Win10 Pro 64Bit Asus ROG Swift (2560x1440 @144hz) Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RED sleeved cables Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra 
  hide details  
Reply
 
X79 Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6950X @ 4.0Ghz Asus Rampage V Extreme [Bios:3101] 2x EVGA GeForce Titan X SC Editions in SLI 32GB (4×8) Corsair Dominator Platinums (3000Mhz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Nvme 2x 256GB Vertex 4 SSD (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda [Storage] Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x 27" Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 144hz  Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX 80 Plus Titanium 
CaseAudio
Lian Li PC-O8WX ATX Cube Case Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930K (C2) @ (4.6Ghz) Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Bios 3204) 3x EVGA GTX780Ti's SC Editions 32GB (4x8GB) G-Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4's (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 64MB Cache Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro 64Bit & Win10 Pro 64Bit Asus ROG Swift (2560x1440 @144hz) Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RED sleeved cables Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
It looks to me that Sandy Bridge E CPUs will cost a fortune. Not mentioning über elite and thus helluva expensive X79 mobos plus 4 channel ram kits... seems to be it's a waste of money don't ya think?
Sandy bridge-E will be awsome!
There is no doubt about that,
but only for gaming an i5 2500k is way more than enough.
Your i7 950 will serve you nicely,keep it & get 2x gtx680.
Cyrus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100T Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 MSI HD6950 TF III PE 2GB unlocked @ HD6970 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 @ 1800MHz ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HP dvd1260 Zalman CNPS 9900 NT Windows7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster P2250 21.5" 1920x1080 Logitech G105 Corsair gs600 80+ Bronze Corsair Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Spectre Starcraft II  Razer Goliathus Dragon AgeII Edition (speed) 
  hide details  
Reply
Cyrus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100T Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 MSI HD6950 TF III PE 2GB unlocked @ HD6970 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 @ 1800MHz ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HP dvd1260 Zalman CNPS 9900 NT Windows7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster P2250 21.5" 1920x1080 Logitech G105 Corsair gs600 80+ Bronze Corsair Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Spectre Starcraft II  Razer Goliathus Dragon AgeII Edition (speed) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Help me upgrade