Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG] Zelda: Skyward Sword review scores sneak out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CVG] Zelda: Skyward Sword review scores sneak out - Page 6

post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojinglebells View Post

wow, talking as if its the hands-down best Zelda game ever says it all...however I still couldn't agree with a perfect score. Still no voice acting? I can kinda understand the weird fetish of not giving Link a voice, but the other characters? c'mon, we're on DVD now and have the capacity, there's simply no excuse at this juncture. Wii U Zelda titles better buck this terrible trend.
also, Zelda titles simply don't have the replay value other games have, particularly with complete lack of multiplayer (ie not even co-op), so that would be at least another half a point for me

I'm not so sure I want a Zelda game voiced.

Although I personally prefer single player games, I think it would be kind of cool to have a Four Swords-esque co-op mode. Maybe you could have Link, Zelda/Sheik, Impa, and... I don't know... Navi? Epona? The skull kid? Dark Link? Kind of hard to find a fourth one, really.
post #52 of 79
If anyone could add decent co-op to a game like Zelda, I think it'd be Nintendo. However, it'd have to be a separate game built for co-op like Four Swords, because I don't play any kind of multiplayer and the last thing I want in a singleplayer Zelda (or any game) is to get stuck with some AI sidekick and be forced through countless puzzles obviously designed with two human players in mind.

I'm also not opposed to voice acting, but it's not essential. I'd like Link to remain silent though, he doesn't need any sort of dialogue outside of his little yells and grunts.
post #53 of 79
Nintendo. *heart*
Apollo
(16 items)
 
Project Greyscale
(24 items)
 
Zeus
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus Sabertooth X99 ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX  Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Samsung SH-224BB CM Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 x64 Pro Asus PB278Q (1440p) Gigabyte Aivia Osmium (Cherry Red) Corsair AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF X Gigabyte Aivia Krypton Razer Goliathus Extended Speed Edition Realtek ALC1150 8-Channel + Logitech z906 + Sam... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-4790K EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA GTX 780Ti EVGA GTX 780Ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Dominator Platinum Spinpoint F3 Spinpoint F3 510 Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
510 Series 320 Series XSPC AX120 XSPC AX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC AX240 EK Supremacy EK FC780 GTX Ti WIndows 8.1 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X 10.9.3 Yamaski Catleap 120Hz HCP-1200 Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Table Avid Fast Track Duo HiFIMan HE-400 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 @4.5GHz GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 GIGABYTE Radeon RX 460 G.SKILL Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial 64GB m4 1TB WD Black Samsung SH-224BB CM Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 x64 Pro Asus PB278Q (1440p) Gigabyte Aivia Osmium Corsair AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM 690II Gigabyte Aivia Krypton Razer Goliathus Extended Speed Edition Realtek ALC889 + Logitech z906 + Samson SR850 
  hide details  
Reply
Apollo
(16 items)
 
Project Greyscale
(24 items)
 
Zeus
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K Asus Sabertooth X99 ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX  Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Samsung SH-224BB CM Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 x64 Pro Asus PB278Q (1440p) Gigabyte Aivia Osmium (Cherry Red) Corsair AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF X Gigabyte Aivia Krypton Razer Goliathus Extended Speed Edition Realtek ALC1150 8-Channel + Logitech z906 + Sam... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-4790K EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA GTX 780Ti EVGA GTX 780Ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Dominator Platinum Spinpoint F3 Spinpoint F3 510 Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
510 Series 320 Series XSPC AX120 XSPC AX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC AX240 EK Supremacy EK FC780 GTX Ti WIndows 8.1 
OSMonitorPowerCase
OS X 10.9.3 Yamaski Catleap 120Hz HCP-1200 Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Table Avid Fast Track Duo HiFIMan HE-400 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 @4.5GHz GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 GIGABYTE Radeon RX 460 G.SKILL Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial 64GB m4 1TB WD Black Samsung SH-224BB CM Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 x64 Pro Asus PB278Q (1440p) Gigabyte Aivia Osmium Corsair AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM 690II Gigabyte Aivia Krypton Razer Goliathus Extended Speed Edition Realtek ALC889 + Logitech z906 + Samson SR850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 79
mmm, better than ocarina of time? REALLY? biggrin.gif

That with FF7 are my 2two favourite games of all time.
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeful View Post

I'd rather just buy the game and support Nintendo.

That's an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

You can buy Wii games, and choose to play them on Dolphin instead, 'cause it looks 10x better.
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post

Sometimes leaving things up to the imagination isn't such a bad idea.
sure, that's like never asking someone out because you can always just imagine what it would be like instead of actually living
Quote:
You know how some people prefer books more than their movie interpretations, right?
Books are often preferred because of their ability to go into depth of detail that you simply cannot get from established industry restrictions with typical movies (ie can't really have a movie much longer than 2 hours), however that doesn't mean book reading is more popular. Most people are limited by their own imagination which is why video is so very successful; people can be shown things they would never dream of on their own, or even put together through textual description.
Quote:
If Nintendo had included voice actors, not everyone would have the same opinion of the voice acting.
Right, just like not everyone has the same opinion of their art direction (particularly Wind Waker), but my point still stands from before, you'll never know if you don't try. Might as well make this a text based game so no one is disappointed, right? rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_Plow View Post

I agree.
I feel bojinglebells, I feel like the things you're suggesting are so outside of what "Zelda" is it would change (and in my opinion, ruin) the franchise. Calling the lack of voice acting a "terrible trend" seems like saying bad graphics is a terrible trend that needs to stop. It certainly is true from a technological standpoint, there is the possibility to improve these things, but I'd rather the effort be put into a great storyline/gameplay. I look at graphics and voice acting as a style choice and I think the idea of no one talking fits perfectly for every Zelda game I've played.
Alternatively there's the theory that they are speaking, it's just in Hyrulian/Hylian and we're reading the subtitles.
Re-playability in these games comes from the desire to get everything and/or replay the great story. I don't want or need (non-co-op) multiplayer in Zelda.

At this point you're just defending the game just to defend the game, puhlease, things don't have to be perfect when they are not, you are allowed to be let down.

I'm glad the game is being reviewed so well, and if they are putting all their efforts into making a quality game first and neglecting details like voice acting thats fine, but at the end of the day you cannot convince me having voice acting would be a bad thing. I suppose going 3D with OoT in '98 was a huge mistake as well, prior to then Zelda had only been a top down or side scrolling 2D game rolleyes.gif Just because we've never had dialog voice acting in Zelda before doesn't mean it will be a mistake. Even if it doesn't match your wildest fantasy, that's like falling out of love with your dream girl just because you discovered she can't sing after never letting her talk. That simply isn't a deal breaker, but imagine if your mute dream girl could sing...

Heck, don't get me wrong here, I actually prefer watching my movies and playing my games with subtitles so that I don't miss something should accents and/or slurred speech get in the way, but video as a medium is simply an order of magnitude more immersive with quality voice acting if that's what the story entails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars Unseen View Post

I'm not so sure I want a Zelda game voiced.
Although I personally prefer single player games, I think it would be kind of cool to have a Four Swords-esque co-op mode. Maybe you could have Link, Zelda/Sheik, Impa, and... I don't know... Navi? Epona? The skull kid? Dark Link? Kind of hard to find a fourth one, really.

Lawl, yeah, way to find the one example of where voice acting would be a terrible idea. thumb.gif But IIRC Nintendo stupidly gave up creative control for that abortion of a series, (not unlike their mistake with allowing the CD-i abominations). However if they actually tried for voice acting I'd have all the faith in the world they wouldn't screw it up. Heck, how many triple A titles with voice acting can you name as being disappointing because of the voice acting?

Also and again, the whole multiplayer comment was just a comment on one aspect Zelda typically misses out on, I never said that it should have it, but its just one area where the game simply can't stack up. There's no way the average player could find the same amount of play time with Zelda as they could with a game like Skyrim (no multiplayer but multiple ways to play) or Battlefield 3 (multiplayer), but that doesn't mean Skyward Sword has any less of a chance at being game of the year, I was merely illustrating that the series typically doesn't have that strong a replay value because its very much on-rails relative to other games and doesn't have much in it that constitutes playing it over and over once you have beaten it.

As far as extra characters, you're thinking too limited as new characters can always be created, granted, with co-op you really only need two, and I wouldn't mind seeing Zelda come to more of the forefront over her own legend tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox me View Post

If anyone could add decent co-op to a game like Zelda, I think it'd be Nintendo. However, it'd have to be a separate game built for co-op like Four Swords, because I don't play any kind of multiplayer and the last thing I want in a singleplayer Zelda (or any game) is to get stuck with some AI sidekick and be forced through countless puzzles obviously designed with two human players in mind.
I'm also not opposed to voice acting, but it's not essential. I'd like Link to remain silent though, he doesn't need any sort of dialogue outside of his little yells and grunts.

again, not having multiplayer was just one example I made of how Zelda can basically never be the perfect game, that's not to say its not basically perfect at what it does do

also I can completely understand keeping Link silent, heck, just look at Gordon in Half-Life, but just like HL, there's no truly good reason not to have voice acting for the supporting characters.
HK47
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930K ASUS Sabertooth X79 EVGA GTX780 Samsung Green 4 x 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2 x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD RAID-0 3 x 1.5TB Hitachi 7K3000 RAID-0 2 x 3TB Seagate 7200.14 RAID-0 XSPC Raystorm, EX280, D5 Variant pump 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1 BenQ XL2420T Dell U2711 Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum-1000 Silverstone FT02B-WRI Razer Abyssus Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
HK47
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930K ASUS Sabertooth X79 EVGA GTX780 Samsung Green 4 x 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
2 x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD RAID-0 3 x 1.5TB Hitachi 7K3000 RAID-0 2 x 3TB Seagate 7200.14 RAID-0 XSPC Raystorm, EX280, D5 Variant pump 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1 BenQ XL2420T Dell U2711 Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum-1000 Silverstone FT02B-WRI Razer Abyssus Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojinglebells View Post

Right, just like not everyone has the same opinion of their art direction (particularly Wind Waker), but my point still stands from before, you'll never know if you don't try. Might as well make this a text based game so no one is disappointed, right? rolleyes.gif
At this point you're just defending the game just to defend the game, puhlease, things don't have to be perfect when they are not, you are allowed to be let down.
I'm glad the game is being reviewed so well, and if they are putting all their efforts into making a quality game first and neglecting details like voice acting thats fine, but at the end of the day you cannot convince me having voice acting would be a bad thing. I suppose going 3D with OoT in '98 was a huge mistake as well, prior to then Zelda had only been a top down or side scrolling 2D game rolleyes.gif Just because we've never had dialog voice acting in Zelda before doesn't mean it will be a mistake. Even if it doesn't match your wildest fantasy, that's like falling out of love with your dream girl just because you discovered she can't sing after never letting her talk. That simply isn't a deal breaker, but imagine if your mute dream girl could sing...
Heck, don't get me wrong here, I actually prefer watching my movies and playing my games with subtitles so that I don't miss something should accents and/or slurred speech get in the way, but video as a medium is simply an order of magnitude more immersive with quality voice acting if that's what the story entails.
Lawl, yeah, way to find the one example of where voice acting would be a terrible idea. thumb.gif But IIRC Nintendo stupidly gave up creative control for that abortion of a series, (not unlike their mistake with allowing the CD-i abominations). However if they actually tried for voice acting I'd have all the faith in the world they wouldn't screw it up. Heck, how many triple A titles with voice acting can you name as being disappointing because of the voice acting?
Also and again, the whole multiplayer comment was just a comment on one aspect Zelda typically misses out on, I never said that it should have it, but its just one area where the game simply can't stack up. There's no way the average player could find the same amount of play time with Zelda as they could with a game like Skyrim (no multiplayer but multiple ways to play) or Battlefield 3 (multiplayer), but that doesn't mean Skyward Sword has any less of a chance at being game of the year, I was merely illustrating that the series typically doesn't have that strong a replay value because its very much on-rails relative to other games and doesn't have much in it that constitutes playing it over and over once you have beaten it.
As far as extra characters, you're thinking too limited as new characters can always be created, granted, with co-op you really only need two, and I wouldn't mind seeing Zelda come to more of the forefront over her own legend tongue.gif
again, not having multiplayer was just one example I made of how Zelda can basically never be the perfect game, that's not to say its not basically perfect at what it does do
also I can completely understand keeping Link silent, heck, just look at Gordon in Half-Life, but just like HL, there's no truly good reason not to have voice acting for the supporting characters.

I think a big part of rating a game like Zelda is to not compare it against dissimilar games. For them to give it a 10/10 means that it is perfect for that genre. Compared to other games that benefit from voice action to tell stories it would be short, but if you look at how the series is set up, it doesnt rely on it.

Cant wait to play the game! Still gotta finish Twilight Princess though...
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 BE C3 @ 3.82  MSI 870a Fuzion Sapphire 6950 Kingston HyperX 4x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 1.5tb Lg somethin' Windows 7 Ultimate Princeton 20 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Stock HP (actually quite nice!) Antec earthwatts 650w Rosewill Destroyer Razer Tron 
Mouse Pad
wal mart special! 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Gigabyte Z170-X Gaming 7 Diamond 280x HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO LG Blu-Ray burner CM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P Stock HP Antec Earthwatts 650 Corsair Air 540 
Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 BE C3 @ 3.82  MSI 870a Fuzion Sapphire 6950 Kingston HyperX 4x2gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 1.5tb Lg somethin' Windows 7 Ultimate Princeton 20 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Stock HP (actually quite nice!) Antec earthwatts 650w Rosewill Destroyer Razer Tron 
Mouse Pad
wal mart special! 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Gigabyte Z170-X Gaming 7 Diamond 280x HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO LG Blu-Ray burner CM Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P Stock HP Antec Earthwatts 650 Corsair Air 540 
Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder  
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSRM View Post

I think a big part of rating a game like Zelda is to not compare it against dissimilar games. For them to give it a 10/10 means that it is perfect for that genre. Compared to other games that benefit from voice action to tell stories it would be short, but if you look at how the series is set up, it doesnt rely on it.
Cant wait to play the game! Still gotta finish Twilight Princess though...

That is how ratings work. You compare them to games in the same genre. You can't compare BF3 to GTA IV because they are two completely different games and GTAIV has more going on that you don't see(A.I and what not).

Zelda is one of those games that is an exception to that rule. You can only compare Zelda games to other Zelda games for the most part. Since there isn't really a game that comes close to what Zelda is. Its a Action/Adventure platformer RPG. Not many games are out there are similar to this.

I also thought Twilight Princess was great. Especially the Boss Fight with the Cog spinning around the room that you had to hop with.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k Asus p8z68v-lx Intel HD graphics 3000 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR 3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
320 GB WD Blue  1TB WD Black Samsung SH232 Win 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung P2770 1920x1080 Thermal Take 600 Watt Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k Asus p8z68v-lx Intel HD graphics 3000 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR 3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
320 GB WD Blue  1TB WD Black Samsung SH232 Win 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung P2770 1920x1080 Thermal Take 600 Watt Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 79
Interesting that they keep the digging mechanic from Twilight Princess for Link with those gloves.
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
Dynamix
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-860 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Radeon 7970 Corsair Domintor Twins + Other = 16 Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Black, 500gb OCZ Solid 3 Sony Optiarc Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung P2570HD + Other Logitech G110 Corsair 750W HX 
CaseMouse
Antec p183 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojinglebells View Post

At this point you're just defending the game just to defend the game, puhlease, things don't have to be perfect when they are not, you are allowed to be let down.
I'm glad the game is being reviewed so well, and if they are putting all their efforts into making a quality game first and neglecting details like voice acting thats fine, but at the end of the day you cannot convince me having voice acting would be a bad thing. I suppose going 3D with OoT in '98 was a huge mistake as well, prior to then Zelda had only been a top down or side scrolling 2D game rolleyes.gif Just because we've never had dialog voice acting in Zelda before doesn't mean it will be a mistake. Even if it doesn't match your wildest fantasy, that's like falling out of love with your dream girl just because you discovered she can't sing after never letting her talk. That simply isn't a deal breaker, but imagine if your mute dream girl could sing...
Heck, don't get me wrong here, I actually prefer watching my movies and playing my games with subtitles so that I don't miss something should accents and/or slurred speech get in the way, but video as a medium is simply an order of magnitude more immersive with quality voice acting if that's what the story entails.
.

I had to reread my post, but I still don't get where you're getting that I'm defending the game just to defend it? If I knew what you were referring to I would provide evidence to support the fact that this is not what I'm trying to do.

I can see this is just something that comes down to individual taste. Again, I think having no voice acting is a style choice for the game and (I personally think) one necessary for such a stylized series. My friend goes to an art school and he'll post little animated shorts on my facebook wall that he thinks are cool or clever. About 90% of them don't have any voices. Certainly you can say this is because they're low budget, student projects, or are made easier for international viewing this way but I think not having voices adds a lot of charm to each work. Obviously this isn't exactly the same thing since in those shorts there simply isn't dialogue and here we just have subtitles, but I think of it in the same way.
As far as relating this to the transition from 2D to 3D, do you really think this was a thoughtless, easy decision? They risked a lot (admittedly plenty of developers did when the N64/Playstation/Dreamcast came out) and if the transition wasn't done well they could have lost a lot of fans. Hell, I know a few people who still prefer the old 2D Zeldas because they didn't like what the transition did to the series.

Your point is noted about taking risks (lol at the repeated female analogies tongue.gif) and maybe I'll stand corrected and we'll have voice acting that keeps the tone and style of the series. I'm just saying that to me, the lack of spoken dialogue matches the games (we've seen) perfectly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG] Zelda: Skyward Sword review scores sneak out