Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › What would it take to be able to record games at 60 FPS with Fraps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would it take to be able to record games at 60 FPS with Fraps? - Page 2

post #11 of 20
What you would probably want is a large drive (2 or 3TB) with high sequential write speeds.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1093353/caviar-black-or-blue-for-fraps/0_100#post_14599031

Any Hitachi 2TB/3TB drive would do - IF you can find it affordably. Most Hitachi 2TB's peak at around or over 150MB/sec. Since HDD prices have skyrocketed, you may have to shop around to find a good price. I found a few Hitachi Externals that were 7200RPM and had very nice sequential speeds. It's well worth popping those open to use. thumb.gif

Then you get to partition it. I'd put about 40% for recording, and ~60% for archiving. Why? Because speeds drop dramatically as you near the end of a drive, and that causes framerate drop. If you want to maintain high framerates at high resolutions like 1080p, you need to record to the fastest part of the drive and then copy the videos to your archiving section to make more room.

Use whatever percentages you feel you need, but be aware of that decline in speed the farther in you go.

hdtuneproahcibenchmarkvx.png
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6ghz 1.425v Sabertooth 990FX Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston Fury 1866mhz CL10 1T 1.5v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 2TB - HDS723020BLA64 Crucial M500 960GB - CT960M500SSD1 WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX WD 4TB Black - WD4001FAEX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate 2TB - ST2000DM001 WD 640GB Black - WD6401AALS Seagate 6TB - ST6000DM001 Micron M500 - MTFDDAK480MAV 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
Pioneer DVR-115DBK Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE LG GH22NS90 Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D15 Fractal Design 140mm Fan - FD-FAN-140 Fractal Design 120mm Fan - FD-FAN-120 Windows 7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Samsung 2343BWX 23" (2048x1152) BenQ GW2765HT 27" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1440) Genius Keyboard KB-G235 PA 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic Platinum 1000w PSU - SS-1000XP Fractal Design Define R5 Steelseries Rival 6500 dcpi Mousepad + Desk 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Onboard Realtek® ALC 892 Cyber Acoustics CA-2992 2.0 Speakers Razer Krait 1600 DPI nGear G-C1601 Card Reader 
OtherOther
Pisen Card Reader Gigabyte M7 Thor 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
VIA Eden C7 1200mhz Jetway J7F4K1G2ES-LF VIA Onboard 512MB PC2-4200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A-Data FlashDrive None Fanless Linux 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Headless None 65w Power Brick Antec ISK300-65 
MouseAudio
None Onboard VIA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Barton XP-M 2400+ FJQ4C Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 256MB BFG 7800GS OC 2x512MB Samsung PC3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Raptor 74GB/Seagate 120GB Windows 2000 Pro 60hz 17" CRT Brandless PS2 Keyboard 
PowerMouse
Antec Neo HE 550w Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 20
1)What resolution are you recording? 1920x1200?
2) Did you actually set fraps to 60fps? I ask because fraps will work in multiples of it. if you set it at 60 it will sync to 60, 120, 180, 240, etc. if it drops it won't sync to 30, but will try to go as fast as it can until 60fps. If it's syncing to 90, then 60, then 30, it sounds like it's set to 30.
3) Recording nearly raw video at that kind of data rate is very difficult to do smoothly. What is your recording drive? Have you done consolidation defragmentation? My guess is that your drive is either too full to where the heads have to skip around for writing space or you have some other process accessing the drive. Turn off any antivirus that does real-time scanning.
post #13 of 20
This is relevant to my interests.

Because my 250Gb is a Caviar running IDE, my Raptor doesn't have any space left, and my WD Green brings games down to 0fps when it has to start writing a new file. If it just takes a speedy HDD to do it, with plenty of space, that eases my mind a bit... there are two 640Gb WD Blacks here on OCN that could serve this purpose very well in RAID 0, right?
Little Black Box
(18 items)
 
Vostro
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S4
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX EVGA GTX 980 SC G. Skill Trident Z 16GB(2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 64GB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Seagate ST 2TB Seagate ST 500GB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H60 Win 10 Pro Planar PX2710MW AOC U2868PQU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RGB80 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech M705 
Mouse Pad
XTrac Ripper XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5670 Dell OEM Intel GMA 950 3Gb DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Blue 250Gb Linux Ubuntu 12.10 x64 15.4" Tru-Bright 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Snapdragon 600 MSM8960 Adreno 320 2GB LPDDR 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
16GB+16GB Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Black Box
(18 items)
 
Vostro
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S4
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX EVGA GTX 980 SC G. Skill Trident Z 16GB(2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 64GB Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Seagate ST 2TB Seagate ST 500GB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H60 Win 10 Pro Planar PX2710MW AOC U2868PQU 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RGB80 Corsair HX850 Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech M705 
Mouse Pad
XTrac Ripper XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5670 Dell OEM Intel GMA 950 3Gb DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD Scorpio Blue 250Gb Linux Ubuntu 12.10 x64 15.4" Tru-Bright 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Snapdragon 600 MSM8960 Adreno 320 2GB LPDDR 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
16GB+16GB Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post

(this was MW3 BTW, so I've easily got the horsepower)
1920x1080, I hit framerate cap at all times.

What settings? I have a 6950 which should be able to play CoD maxed out fairly easily, though when playing single player I do get some hiccups from time to time.
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crest View Post

1)What resolution are you recording? 1920x1200?
2) Did you actually set fraps to 60fps? I ask because fraps will work in multiples of it. if you set it at 60 it will sync to 60, 120, 180, 240, etc. if it drops it won't sync to 30, but will try to go as fast as it can until 60fps. If it's syncing to 90, then 60, then 30, it sounds like it's set to 30.
3) Recording nearly raw video at that kind of data rate is very difficult to do smoothly. What is your recording drive? Have you done consolidation defragmentation? My guess is that your drive is either too full to where the heads have to skip around for writing space or you have some other process accessing the drive. Turn off any antivirus that does real-time scanning.
1) Again, 1920x1080.
2) No, 30 FPS. I know from experience that the HDD can't write a 60 FPS recording fast enough.
3) Sig rig HDD. Defragmentation shouldn't be necessary, I did that not too long ago. I could try it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Try exiting and turning them off and see if it gives you an issue. When I record I always get a solid 60FPS nonstop for hours. (unless I set the gfx settings for more eyecandy and dip below 30 lol) I have no other program accessing my recording HDD.
I can't exit Steam when playing COD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post

What you would probably want is a large drive (2 or 3TB) with high sequential write speeds.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1093353/caviar-black-or-blue-for-fraps/0_100#post_14599031
Any Hitachi 2TB/3TB drive would do - IF you can find it affordably. Most Hitachi 2TB's peak at around or over 150MB/sec. Since HDD prices have skyrocketed, you may have to shop around to find a good price. I found a few Hitachi Externals that were 7200RPM and had very nice sequential speeds. It's well worth popping those open to use. thumb.gif
Then you get to partition it. I'd put about 40% for recording, and ~60% for archiving. Why? Because speeds drop dramatically as you near the end of a drive, and that causes framerate drop. If you want to maintain high framerates at high resolutions like 1080p, you need to record to the fastest part of the drive and then copy the videos to your archiving section to make more room.
Use whatever percentages you feel you need, but be aware of that decline in speed the farther in you go.
I know what short-stroking does. smile.gif I have noticed that recording becomes slower as I fill the HDD, thanks for reminding me why. Also, holy crap, haven't checked HDD prices recently. Knew about the flooding, but didn't think it'd affect us this much. Ugh, this is not the time to need a new HDD...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog View Post

What settings? I have a 6950 which should be able to play CoD maxed out fairly easily, though when playing single player I do get some hiccups from time to time.

It's irrelevant. I have repeatedly said that I hit framerate cap. Recording doesn't make the graphics card works harder.
That said, it's maxed out.
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Linux Mint 
  hide details  
Reply
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Linux Mint 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post

1) Again, 1920x1080.
2) No, 30 FPS. I know from experience that the HDD can't write a 60 FPS recording fast enough.
3) Sig rig HDD. Defragmentation shouldn't be necessary, I did that not too long ago. I could try it though.

You're recording.. 30fps? I thought the objective was 60? Do you mean to say you wish to record 30 and play at 60? Fraps has a nasty habit of being set in its ways and isn't too flexible with this type of thing too much. Even if you set it to 30fps, and ask it to not sync the framerate, it will simply drop to 30 and rarely ever pop back up to 60-90-120-150-180 due to the framerate already being pretty low.

I would check out DXtory. You can leave the framerates unsynced and play at much higher framerates. I've been using it exclusively for months now for gameplay, playthroughs, etc because I don't feel the framerate hit, so in that way it's much more passive. And I record a lot of game footage and edit it a lot since I run a decently active youtube channel.

Downside is that without sync it's grabbing frames when it can, so you will perhaps see microstutter occasionally since not all frames are 33.33333ms in in-game time. There is an option for sync mode in the options, but then you might as well use fraps.
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crest View Post

You're recording.. 30fps? I thought the objective was 60? Do you mean to say you wish to record 30 and play at 60? Fraps has a nasty habit of being set in its ways and isn't too flexible with this type of thing too much. Even if you set it to 30fps, and ask it to not sync the framerate, it will simply drop to 30 and rarely ever pop back up to 60-90-120-150-180 due to the framerate already being pretty low.

I would check out DXtory. You can leave the framerates unsynced and play at much higher framerates. I've been using it exclusively for months now for gameplay, playthroughs, etc because I don't feel the framerate hit, so in that way it's much more passive. And I record a lot of game footage and edit it a lot since I run a decently active youtube channel.

Downside is that without sync it's grabbing frames when it can, so you will perhaps see microstutter occasionally since not all frames are 33.33333ms in in-game time. There is an option for sync mode in the options, but then you might as well use fraps.

I'm recording 30 FPS, want to play at 60 FPS while doing that.

I gave Dxtory a try and it's pretty darned good. Too bad it's so expensive. I also tried Bandicam which seems like a nice free alternative. Xfire had high averages, but seemed to freeze or stutter. Have to say, I'm surprised Fraps is performing so poorly. I've tried Bandicam once before and it ran like crap back then. Seems they've fixed the code or something. I'm gonna look for some free programs and then do some performance/quality tests.
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Linux Mint 
  hide details  
Reply
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Linux Mint 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 20
Fraps and DXtory are all you'll find that provide the most consistent experience. I've gotten my money back already though youtube, so DXTory was a wise investment.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post

I'm recording 30 FPS, want to play at 60 FPS while doing that.
I gave Dxtory a try and it's pretty darned good. Too bad it's so expensive. I also tried Bandicam which seems like a nice free alternative. Xfire had high averages, but seemed to freeze or stutter. Have to say, I'm surprised Fraps is performing so poorly. I've tried Bandicam once before and it ran like crap back then. Seems they've fixed the code or something. I'm gonna look for some free programs and then do some performance/quality tests.

So.. you want to play @ 60 but record @ 30?
Could have just said that from the start you know.

It's not a Hdd problem, it's because fraps doesn't have that feature.

As far as I know dxtory is the only good recording program that I able to do this. And there are ways to get it for free, if you catch my drift.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog View Post

So.. you want to play @ 60 but record @ 30?
Could have just said that from the start you know.
It's not a Hdd problem, it's because fraps doesn't have that feature.
As far as I know dxtory is the only good recording program that I able to do this. And there are ways to get it for free, if you catch my drift.

Fraps can do it, the problem is it only works in multiples of the framerate. recording at 30, the game will run at 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 180, etc. But the even bigger issue is that if it ever drops it will almost always just sit at 30 and never jump back up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › What would it take to be able to record games at 60 FPS with Fraps?