Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › can any mobo w/x16 x16 run 2 dual gpu cards?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

can any mobo w/x16 x16 run 2 dual gpu cards?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
What I'm trying to figure out is can a mobo run twin cards each with dual gpus inside be run on any board with x16 x16 slots? the reason I ask is because they way manufacturers advertise is very confusing:mad:, some claim x16,x16 x4 but only say they support 3 way sli & sli. while others with same slot configuration say they support quad. If anyone can please tell me what each of these board can run I would like to be able to choose between regular sli,3way & two dual gpu card's e.g. gtx 580's.

THE BORDS IN QUESTION:

GIGABYTE 990FXA UD5
GIGABYTE990FXA UD3
ASROCK 990FX EXTREME 4
post #2 of 9
This one is real easy

You'll not find one, purely because the cards like the 590 and 560ti 2win are technically already in SLi. The 560ti 2 win doens't support having an additional 560ti 2win in SLi either.

The best you'll get is x8 x8 x8 and with that you'll loose around 3% performance. So I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Comps
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

This one is real easy
You'll not find one, purely because the cards like the 590 and 560ti 2win are technically already in SLi. The 560ti 2 win doens't support having an additional 560ti 2win in SLi either.
The best you'll get is x8 x8 x8 and with that you'll loose around 3% performance. So I wouldn't stress too much about it.
Comps

ok then why does the asrock say it suports quad sli when it only has 3 pcie slots? is it safe to say that if it has 3 pcie slots it supports 3 way sli?
post #4 of 9
Because the GTX590 is the only dual GPU card that can be SLi'ed with another one. Not sure about the 6990 and xfire, I know you can do trifire but not sure about quadfire.

If you've got 3 ports then yes, it'll probably do TriSli. However for TriFire you'd be better off with 1 6990 and a 6970.


Comps
Edited by compuman145 - 11/18/11 at 7:26am
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
this is what I mean
95
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

Because the GTX590 is the only dual GPU card that can be SLi'ed with another one. Not sure about the 6990 and xfire, I know you can do trifire but not sure about quadfire.
If you've got 3 ports then yes, it'll probably do TriSli. However for TriFire you'd be better off with 1 6990 and a 6970.
Comps

I am only interested in nvidia
post #7 of 9
in which case if you want Quad SLi you have to go with the GTX590.

That board will run Tri-Sli with 3 GTX580's. Probably at x8 x8 x4 without looking into it.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

Because the GTX590 is the only dual GPU card that can be SLi'ed with another one. Not sure about the 6990 and xfire, I know you can do trifire but not sure about quadfire.
If you've got 3 ports then yes, it'll probably do TriSli. However for TriFire you'd be better off with 1 6990 and a 6970.
Comps

You can quadfire two 6990...
For Sale!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.7 gHz ASRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 SAPPHIRE 6990 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Acer S231HLbid Das Keyboard - Cherry MX Blues 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Tagan 1100W TurboJet CosmoS Steel Series Ikari Steel Series I2 
  hide details  
Reply
For Sale!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.7 gHz ASRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 SAPPHIRE 6990 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Acer S231HLbid Das Keyboard - Cherry MX Blues 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Tagan 1100W TurboJet CosmoS Steel Series Ikari Steel Series I2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcujo View Post

ok then why does the asrock say it suports quad sli when it only has 3 pcie slots? is it safe to say that if it has 3 pcie slots it supports 3 way sli?


Quad SLI can be either two dual GPU cards (9800GX2, GTX 295, GTX 590 etc), or four single GPU cards (GTX 280, GTX 480, GTX 580 etc). Motherboards with only 3 slots can only Quad SLI with dual GPU cards. I think you're overthinking the issue here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › can any mobo w/x16 x16 run 2 dual gpu cards?