Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCG]Interview: Bohemia Interactive’s CEO on fighting piracy, creative DRM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCG]Interview: Bohemia Interactive’s CEO on fighting piracy, creative DRM - Page 3

post #21 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

I see where you're coming from, and from an uninformed perspective your argument would hold some weight. That said, I assume you're smart enough to see where I'm going with this.
There have been studies which show that your average pirate actually spend up to 10 times as much on games legally as those who don't pirate. It's a simple numbers game. A pirated copy is not a stolen copy. No product was actually removed from it's owner. Yes, someone got a copy without paying for it, but there is little reason to believe that same person would have actually paid for a copy if they couldn't pirate it. And at the end of the day, pirates will often buy buy legal copies of the games they really care about, either out of ethical obligation, support for the developers, or simply to "unlock" support and possibly additional content for the game.
As for PC gamers being the "whiniest bunch", quite frankly, there is a difference between being whiny, and simply being treated as second-class consumers and not being ignorant of that fact. We spend more money on our gaming platform. Believe it or not, that money IS going to game companies, albeit indirectly. So why do we have to deal with further delayed releases, more restrictive DRM, buggier games, lack of support, and half-hearted development for cross-platform games, or even worse, straight ports, when we arr paying the same thing console owners pay (and ultimately MORE through hardware company subsidization and lack of console-title-fees)? To add insult to injury, the majority of these developers got where they are today thanks to PC gaming - They're essentially telling their fans "Hey, you know that thing we had you invest a lot of money into? Toss it out the window and buy this new thing that is actually inferior because we're only supporting that now. Kthxbai".
I'd like to see console gamers swallow that same pill as gracefully as PC gamers do. "you guys" flip out over far more shallow and trivial things as is.

The reason for second rate PC games is due to the simple fact PC games are harder to code for. Also devs know that most of the money is going to come from consoles so they no longer feel a need to put effort into making a legit PC version of a game. Just because we pay more for our hardware does not mean anything, the devs don't care. Intel, AMD, or Nvidia need to step and up make sure PC games are made to a higher level, we need a face of PC gaming.
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwadeson View Post

isn't pirating what has killed pc gaming?

PC gaming is not dying.

Sorry. But we have received the same amount of quality games per year for the past decade.
post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post

PC gaming is not dying.
Sorry. But we have received the same amount of quality games per year for the past decade.

Agreed. In fact PC gaming has started to gain a ton of momentum over the past few years.

Piracy isn't an issue either. It's only an issue if you make a bad game from the beginning. As someone else said earlier in this discussion the only reason they would pirate it is because it lacks a demo. There is also the case with Valve games being pirated in Russia. They saw that the cracked Russian copies had better localization than the original copy. So naturally they improved the localization on their products. Now the Russian people are Valve's second best customers in Europe.

It's all about basic economics and common sense. Give your customers a good product and they will buy it. Give your customers a bad product and they won't buy it.
Deimos (G4.P)
(18 items)
 
 
Arcturus (G4.S)
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930K @ 4.3 Ghz ASUS X99 Deluxe II eVGA Titan X SC (1420/3900) 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4/2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 750 400GB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HEATKILLER IV PRO CPU Block 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
HEATKILLER IV XL GPU Block Windows 8.1 Pro Dell P2715Q Corsair K95 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX860i Silverstone Fortress 2 Silver eVGA TORQ X10 Carbon Denon AVR-S510BT 
AudioAudio
JBL Studio 530 Dayton SUB-120 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.0 Ghz ASUS Z87-PRO eVGA Titan X SC (1435/4000) 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-U14S Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2415Q 24" 4K Display Corsair K90 RGB (MX Brown) SeaSonic M12II 850W SilverStone FT02S-W 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
eVGA Torq X10 Carbon eVGA Torq X10 Pad JBL Studio 530 Dayton SUB-120 12" Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon D-1521 Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4/2133 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB bequiet! Silent Wings 2 120mm Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Corsair SF450 
Case
Fractal Design Node 202 
  hide details  
Reply
Deimos (G4.P)
(18 items)
 
 
Arcturus (G4.S)
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5930K @ 4.3 Ghz ASUS X99 Deluxe II eVGA Titan X SC (1420/3900) 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4/2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 750 400GB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HEATKILLER IV PRO CPU Block 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
HEATKILLER IV XL GPU Block Windows 8.1 Pro Dell P2715Q Corsair K95 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX860i Silverstone Fortress 2 Silver eVGA TORQ X10 Carbon Denon AVR-S510BT 
AudioAudio
JBL Studio 530 Dayton SUB-120 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.0 Ghz ASUS Z87-PRO eVGA Titan X SC (1435/4000) 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-U14S Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2415Q 24" 4K Display Corsair K90 RGB (MX Brown) SeaSonic M12II 850W SilverStone FT02S-W 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
eVGA Torq X10 Carbon eVGA Torq X10 Pad JBL Studio 530 Dayton SUB-120 12" Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon D-1521 Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4/2133 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB bequiet! Silent Wings 2 120mm Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Corsair SF450 
Case
Fractal Design Node 202 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 77
we gonna have console port arma3 next year *cough*
people still don't know they have under ground servers for pirate console games *cough cough*
b
(21 items)
 
a
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 4930k Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EVGA GTX 780 SLI 64G G.SKILL Ripjaws Z DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M550 1TB SanDisk Extreme II 480G WD Caviar Black 1TB x 2 LG BH14NS40 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100i Windows 7 BenQ XL2420T Samsung SyncMaster 930B 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG KBT Race, Filco MJ Tenkeypad, DSI left hand key... Seasonic X-1250 Gold Cooler Master Cosmos II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga, Steelseries Ikari Roccat Raivo, destructor 2, Razer Invicta, Stee... Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus PC360, Apple earpods 
Other
scythe usb triple foot Switch I & II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Asus P5Q3 WiFi-AP@n Deluxe Edition EVGA GTX 580 SC 8G OCZ3P1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Black 1T x2 Seagate Barracuda 1T x2 Samsung SSD 840 Series SAMSUNG SpeedPlus 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
PIONEER DVR-217D LG BH14NS40 Windows 7 Professional x64 BenQ XL2420T 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 930B KBT Race, Filco MJ2 TKL, FKB22MB, KBC-3500B PC Power&Cooling Silencer 610W CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic Razer Scarab, Invicta, SX, 9HD,  Asus Rog Xonar Phoebus Sennheiser PC 360 
Other
scythe foot switch Triple x 2, Stinky Footboard 
  hide details  
Reply
b
(21 items)
 
a
(21 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 4930k Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EVGA GTX 780 SLI 64G G.SKILL Ripjaws Z DDR3 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M550 1TB SanDisk Extreme II 480G WD Caviar Black 1TB x 2 LG BH14NS40 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H100i Windows 7 BenQ XL2420T Samsung SyncMaster 930B 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG KBT Race, Filco MJ Tenkeypad, DSI left hand key... Seasonic X-1250 Gold Cooler Master Cosmos II 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga, Steelseries Ikari Roccat Raivo, destructor 2, Razer Invicta, Stee... Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus PC360, Apple earpods 
Other
scythe usb triple foot Switch I & II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Asus P5Q3 WiFi-AP@n Deluxe Edition EVGA GTX 580 SC 8G OCZ3P1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Caviar Black 1T x2 Seagate Barracuda 1T x2 Samsung SSD 840 Series SAMSUNG SpeedPlus 
Optical DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
PIONEER DVR-217D LG BH14NS40 Windows 7 Professional x64 BenQ XL2420T 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 930B KBT Race, Filco MJ2 TKL, FKB22MB, KBC-3500B PC Power&Cooling Silencer 610W CM Cosmos 1000 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic Razer Scarab, Invicta, SX, 9HD,  Asus Rog Xonar Phoebus Sennheiser PC 360 
Other
scythe foot switch Triple x 2, Stinky Footboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty0610 View Post

Well see that makes people mad. PC gamers in general are the whiniest of the bunch when compared to console gamers. There is a general air amongst PC gamers that make them feel entitled to something. Like with BF3 the fact that it is tied to an account people hate that cause then they can't trade it.

Take things away from people and they become "whiny", PC or console. Games made for PC(ie non-ports), video settings, dedicated servers, etc. for PC, only thing I can think of for consoles is the PS3 Linux bit. Although I'm sure someone who is more into console gaming can tell you more. But in general, PC gaming is becoming more about ports which essentially means features that were standard are being taken away because consoles either can't handle it or simply don't have a need for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by byardz View Post

The reason for second rate PC games is due to the simple fact PC games are harder to code for. Also devs know that most of the money is going to come from consoles so they no longer feel a need to put effort into making a legit PC version of a game. Just because we pay more for our hardware does not mean anything, the devs don't care. Intel, AMD, or Nvidia need to step and up make sure PC games are made to a higher level, we need a face of PC gaming.

Wut? PS3 is considered ridiculously hard to program for, which is why many developers stood away from it for the first couple of years. Programming for a 360, from my understanding, is about the same as programming for a PC. In fact, I'm pretty sure the whole XNA suite can actually be used to program for either PC or 360.
Edited by Futan - 11/18/11 at 1:48pm
v3.3.2
(15 items)
 
v4.0 (WIP)
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ Team Dark Pro 16GB (8GBx2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB Crucial BX300 480GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Corsair H90 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro Dell Ultrasharp U2311H Logitech G510s Corsair AX750 
CaseMouseOther
NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  APC BX1000G UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
v3.3.2
(15 items)
 
v4.0 (WIP)
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ Team Dark Pro 16GB (8GBx2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB Crucial BX300 480GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Corsair H90 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro Dell Ultrasharp U2311H Logitech G510s Corsair AX750 
CaseMouseOther
NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum  APC BX1000G UPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 77
That is a inflated number for sure, if you honestly think that's the ratio you are giving them too much credit as a developer. It's a very specific game type that isn't overly popular to begin with. Do they have any idea where most of this takes place I doubt it. Can they determine if it isn't a bot trying to log in? Probably not. My guess is most pirated copies of games like these end up in countries where it isn't available anyway.
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Angry Monster
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 4770K MSI Z87 G45 HIS R9 290 G-skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 640GB Sata III LG DVD RW Corsair H70 W8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
42" Sharp Aquos K800 EW 650W Antek 900 
MouseAudio
R.A.T. 9 Soundblaster xi-fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 77
I bought ArmA II Very fun if your playing with a bunch of people, its kind of hard and boring otherwise, I was in a lets Play it was awesome
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [Asus] P8P67 Pro [EVGA] 1050 Ti [Crucial] Ballistix Tactical 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
[Crucial] M4 128gb [WD] Cavier Black [Noctua] NH-D14 Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
[Asus] VG236 23 inch 120 Hz [HP]w2007 (Offset) [Logitech] G15 [Corsair] HX 750 
CaseMouseAudio
[Silverstone] RV02 [Logitech] G5 [Superlux] HD668B 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [Asus] P8P67 Pro [EVGA] 1050 Ti [Crucial] Ballistix Tactical 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
[Crucial] M4 128gb [WD] Cavier Black [Noctua] NH-D14 Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
[Asus] VG236 23 inch 120 Hz [HP]w2007 (Offset) [Logitech] G15 [Corsair] HX 750 
CaseMouseAudio
[Silverstone] RV02 [Logitech] G5 [Superlux] HD668B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 77
I now buy tons of game because i can and i did pirate when i was younger because i had no income. Also a good game will get the sale. If the game is very good (BF3) for example. Pirating has a positive effect because SP is like 10% of the game. I think i tried Arma II and took it down after 3 mins because it was not a game for me. If developers expect not to have pirates and have sale to their liking they are in the wrong business.
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello im sean View Post

I feel like if game companies forced each user to register online with a specific key code it would solve piracy for the most part. As long as they kept track of what codes have been sold and activated. Cracks shouldnt even work then. Kind of like how more recent games like BF3 do it.

There are ways around this. Look at Spore you had to activate online and they cracked it. Only way to beat it is sell a muilt player game like BF3 where you have to go online to play or even look up servers. Even BF3 is pirted for the single player.

All DRMs do is screw up your game if you bought it. The cracks work and activation doesnt/has problems.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K  Asus p8p67 Radeon HD 5850CF 8GB 1600mhz 9-9-9-34 
Hard DriveCoolingCase
Corsair Force Series 3 120GB NH-D14 push/pushpull/pull HAF-922 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K  Asus p8p67 Radeon HD 5850CF 8GB 1600mhz 9-9-9-34 
Hard DriveCoolingCase
Corsair Force Series 3 120GB NH-D14 push/pushpull/pull HAF-922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 77
No way this garbage game would have that many lost sales.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCG]Interview: Bohemia Interactive’s CEO on fighting piracy, creative DRM