Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Double Checking -- Triple Monitor with 5770
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Double Checking -- Triple Monitor with 5770 - Page 3

post #21 of 27
Actually if you aren't going to be running Eyefinity (which is really only good for games and total bullocks for windows stuff) I believe you do not need to do the one monitor on a Display Port thing. Since you have 3 total non-DP you should be able to plug directly in with all 3. I'm not entirely sure on that but I believe that is the case (I wouldn't know though as I run a FleX card which allows me to forgo the need for Display Port even in eyefinity)
The Thubanator
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition @ 4.0937ghz Asus Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire FleX HD6950 + Twin Frozr II 6950 xfire 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x Seagate 500gb Barracuda RAID0 Asus 12x Blue Ray Writer Acer DVD Writer Antec Kuhler 620 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 x64 3x Acer 23" 5916x1080 Eyefinity Thermaltake TR2 1000w CoolerMaster HAF X 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga (MMOs/RTSs) Razer Death Adder (FPSs) Rocketfish gaming pad Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
The Thubanator
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition @ 4.0937ghz Asus Sabertooth 990FX Sapphire FleX HD6950 + Twin Frozr II 6950 xfire 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x Seagate 500gb Barracuda RAID0 Asus 12x Blue Ray Writer Acer DVD Writer Antec Kuhler 620 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 x64 3x Acer 23" 5916x1080 Eyefinity Thermaltake TR2 1000w CoolerMaster HAF X 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Naga (MMOs/RTSs) Razer Death Adder (FPSs) Rocketfish gaming pad Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushthezeppelin View Post

Actually if you aren't going to be running Eyefinity (which is really only good for games and total bullocks for windows stuff) I believe you do not need to do the one monitor on a Display Port thing. Since you have 3 total non-DP you should be able to plug directly in with all 3. I'm not entirely sure on that but I believe that is the case (I wouldn't know though as I run a FleX card which allows me to forgo the need for Display Port even in eyefinity)

I don't think that's correct. I only post this to hopefully be corrected if I'm wrong. I'm about to do the same setup discussed in this thread (but with a 6770) and have the Accell (" DisplayPort to DVI-D Active Single-Link Adapter Model B087B-005B, $30.99 newegg) recommend by ATI on the way. I would luv to not have to use it (short of buying a DP monitor).

I'm still not clear on the two card setup options. Is it best to do a "crossfire" setup or not for a standard triple monitor setup (ie. no eyefinity), and what is possible (crossfire/no crossfire) eyefinty wise with two cards? I've read about issues with display adapters (dieing, lines, etc..) and think a two card setup would be better long term....
post #23 of 27

You are correct, there's no way around it to setup Eyefinity without the Active Adapter if your third monitor has no native DisplayPort for all AMD reference cards.

 

As for crossfire/ dual-card setup, all monitors must hook to the primary/first card, otherwise crossfire will be disabled. Also, Eyefinity will only work if all monitors plugged to the same card. If you just want extended desktop, there shouldn't be any problems to plug monitors to the other cards and you still limited by 2 monitors/card.

 

Hope this clears it up.

ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 27
Thanks for the quick answer...

I've gotta say though, it strikes me as kind of stupid on ATI's part to have it setup this way (and/or not write new drivers). It seems to me that it would be much more profitable to make a crossfire type triple monitor setup. As I stated above, I would much rather buy a second card from ATI than a third party adapter...
post #25 of 27
I'm running a 6770 Flex and this adapter which runs four monitors just fine. I can even get it to run Battlefield 3 on one monitor. Basically, $30 will get you up and running on the third monitor. No need to buy another card.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1100t Asus m4A78T-E HIS 5850 4G 
Hard DriveOS
60 SS, + 3T Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1100t Asus m4A78T-E HIS 5850 4G 
Hard DriveOS
60 SS, + 3T Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm View Post

Thanks for the quick answer...

I've gotta say though, it strikes me as kind of stupid on ATI's part to have it setup this way (and/or not write new drivers). It seems to me that it would be much more profitable to make a crossfire type triple monitor setup. As I stated above, I would much rather buy a second card from ATI than a third party adapter...


Stupid or not smart enough, compare it to Nvidia which requires a second identical card to setup 3 monitors. Choice is yours though.

 

ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaff View Post

I'm running a 6770 Flex and this adapter which runs four monitors just fine. I can even get it to run Battlefield 3 on one monitor. Basically, $30 will get you up and running on the third monitor. No need to buy another card.

Yea, I've got this one already on the way. Chose it because it's the one recommended by ATI...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Double Checking -- Triple Monitor with 5770