Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Question about Asus Radeon 5850 and Overclocking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about Asus Radeon 5850 and Overclocking

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I am having a really tough time trying to OC this card. I could really use some expert advise. I am using the AMD Vision Engine Control to OC by putting it into overdrive mode and I am not sure if this utility actually OCs the card or of it just shows that it is.

The reason I say this is because when I load up MSI Afterburner it still shows the clock speeds at the default speed.

Another thing I cannot understand is why I can't seem to OC this card. I read allover the internet about people ocing the **** out of this card with stock cooling and for some ****ed up reason I cannot get this card to OC.....

Can someone with some experience PLEASE guide me through this.

Thank you so much.
post #2 of 11
...why don't you use MSI afterburner to OC the card.
Black 2012
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Stock Asrock Z77 Extreme3 Motherboard XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 16GB (4x4gb) G. Skill Sniper 1333mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4  Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Elements Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s 
Optical DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
LG Lightscribe 22x DVD RW R+ R- Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Professional x64 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 750w Gold Fractal Design R4 (Windowed) Logitech G5 Ratpadz GS 
AudioAudio
Bose Companion 2 Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Black 2012
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k Stock Asrock Z77 Extreme3 Motherboard XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 16GB (4x4gb) G. Skill Sniper 1333mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4  Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Elements Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s 
Optical DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
LG Lightscribe 22x DVD RW R+ R- Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Professional x64 Logitech G11 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 750w Gold Fractal Design R4 (Windowed) Logitech G5 Ratpadz GS 
AudioAudio
Bose Companion 2 Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
my asus 5850 doesnt seem to overclock that well, ive also got a his, i took them both out and tried each card solo, i could get the HIS to run 1000/1300 on 1.3v perfectly fine in games. asus i couldnt get over 800/1200 @ 1.3v. Maybe we got a bad batch or something.
The RIG
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 750 @ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte P55 UD4 ATI 5850 ATI 5850 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x2 (4GB) Kingston Hyp-X 2000mhz OCZ Vertex 2 60G Boot 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400.LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400.LP Cooler Master V8 W7 64b Home Premium Dell 23" U2311h 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 23" U2311h Dell 23" U2311h Samsung 51" PS51D550 3D Plasma Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX-850 Coolermaster 922 Haf W/ Window Logitech G500 Razor Sphex 
AudioAudioAudioOther
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Logitech G35 Logitech Z-5500 NZXT 2M Red LED Lighting 
Other
Asus PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter 
  hide details  
Reply
The RIG
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 750 @ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte P55 UD4 ATI 5850 ATI 5850 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2x2 (4GB) Kingston Hyp-X 2000mhz OCZ Vertex 2 60G Boot 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400.LP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 5400.LP Cooler Master V8 W7 64b Home Premium Dell 23" U2311h 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 23" U2311h Dell 23" U2311h Samsung 51" PS51D550 3D Plasma Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX-850 Coolermaster 922 Haf W/ Window Logitech G500 Razor Sphex 
AudioAudioAudioOther
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Logitech G35 Logitech Z-5500 NZXT 2M Red LED Lighting 
Other
Asus PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissolution187 View Post

I am having a really tough time trying to OC this card. I could really use some expert advise. I am using the AMD Vision Engine Control to OC by putting it into overdrive mode and I am not sure if this utility actually OCs the card or of it just shows that it is.

The reason I say this is because when I load up MSI Afterburner it still shows the clock speeds at the default speed.

Another thing I cannot understand is why I can't seem to OC this card. I read allover the internet about people ocing the **** out of this card with stock cooling and for some ****ed up reason I cannot get this card to OC.....

Can someone with some experience PLEASE guide me through this.

Thank you so much.

If your card has voltage control then download latest MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 8 and follow this guide HOW TO: Enable UNOFFICIAL overclocking mode in MSI AfterBurner

If it doesn't have voltage control you should be able to overclock the core and memory with the stock voltage. Try the above Afterburner and see if it will let you overclock after enabling the unofficial overclocking.

You must exit CCC Overdrive and Afterburner prior to editing the .cfg file.

And do not install Catalyst Driver over Afterburner as it will override whatever changes you have made in Afterburner.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvanthos View Post

my asus 5850 doesnt seem to overclock that well, ive also got a his, i took them both out and tried each card solo, i could get the HIS to run 1000/1300 on 1.3v perfectly fine in games. asus i couldnt get over 800/1200 @ 1.3v. Maybe we got a bad batch or something.

You must disable ULPS while using Afterburner in Crossfire or it will crash.

- Go to regedit (start > search programs and files > "regedit").
- In drop down menu: find file > type "enableulps".
- For ALL instances (keep pressing F3) change the "1" value to a "0".
- Reboot PC.
Edited by Ken1649 - 11/19/11 at 10:17pm
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
I tried the walkthrough and I still cannot touch the voltage....For some ****ed up reason when I used MSI AB and OC my card crashes but when I used the OC tool in Catalyst it works without a problem...I had skyrim on ultra for 3 hours with my gpu at 800 and 1200 and not one crash.....as soon as I use MSI AB I get issues....

Any other suggestions aside from flashing the bios? I am really new at this so flashing the bios is the last thing I want to do but if I have to I will.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissolution187 View Post

I tried the walkthrough and I still cannot touch the voltage....For some ****ed up reason when I used MSI AB and OC my card crashes but when I used the OC tool in Catalyst it works without a problem...I had skyrim on ultra for 3 hours with my gpu at 800 and 1200 and not one crash.....as soon as I use MSI AB I get issues....

Any other suggestions aside from flashing the bios? I am really new at this so flashing the bios is the last thing I want to do but if I have to I will.

I guess your card is a non-reference Asus 5850. Download latest MSI Aftrerburner 2.2.0 Beta 8 if you haven't done so. Disable CCC Overdrive if you wish to use Afterburner to avoid crash.

And check this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/911896/smartdoctor-and-afterburner-for-5850
Edited by Ken1649 - 11/19/11 at 11:18pm
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Alright Ken...Thank you...I finally got the voltage unlocked thanks to that post.... Now I just have to figure out how to adjust the voltage correctly......for some reason it doesn't tell me what the voltage is in MSI AB.....lol jesus OCing is a headache frown.gif
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissolution187 View Post

Alright Ken...Thank you...I finally got the voltage unlocked thanks to that post.... Now I just have to figure out how to adjust the voltage correctly......for some reason it doesn't tell me what the voltage is in MSI AB.....lol jesus OCing is a headache frown.gif

Don't think of headache, overclocking is fun.

You can leave the stock voltage alone and adjust your core/memory clocks and try it by playing games.

If it arfacts or crash then you increase the stock volatge by 20mV in Afterburner then clcik apply for the changes to take effect. Run the test again until you find the stable OC.

Keep in mind, fullload temperature maintain it below 70-75°C by adjusting fan speed. I would stop at 1.25v or max load temperature whichever come fisrt. Increase the voltage by 20mV. Do not bump it up like 100mV at once, overvoltage will also crash as in any overclockings.

Take your time, you will enjoy it thumb.gif
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
When I go into MSI AB I can use the slider now to adjust the voltage but it does not show me the actual value of the voltage.....So messed up.
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
How do I know if I am adjusting by 20mV though lol I cant see the value in MSI AB frown.gif...Sorry I hope I am not annoying you Ken but this is killing me lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Question about Asus Radeon 5850 and Overclocking