Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Ten thousand thundering typhoons!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ten thousand thundering typhoons!

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, huge problem. As you can see in my sig, iv'e been running my a 125w unlocked X3 445-turned- Phenom X4 B45 processor on a 95w ASUS M5A78L-M LE @stock speeds. I never really worried about a catastrophic VRM blowout courtesy of ASUS' trademark VRM protection technology. Worst- case scenario would have been CPU throttling. Here's where i had my heart in my mouth; This morning i opened up my cabinet for a little post-spring cleaning when i noticed that two of the VRMs looked a little brownish towards the sides and a little on the top. Couldn't quite make out but it looked as if a bit of the black coating on the VRMs peeled off to expose some brown rusty stuff. It can't be rust can it? Or are the VRMs starting to burn out or something? I got scared and locked the processor back into a tri-core. What do you guys make of this? It isn't winter so i'm ruling out moisture and rust (besides, VRMs aren't made of metal!). Also recently, while playing games, be it Assassin's Creed or Rage, the computers been restarting and BSODing. Any help appreciated. I'll be buying the UD7 in a few months but for now what's the scenario like?
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 32
Thread Starter 
Oops sorry wrong Forum biggrin.gif
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkX 1 View Post

Hey guys, huge problem. As you can see in my sig, iv'e been running my a 125w unlocked X3 445-turned- Phenom X4 B45 processor on a 95w ASUS M5A78L-M LE @stock speeds. I never really worried about a catastrophic VRM blowout courtesy of ASUS' trademark VRM protection technology. Worst- case scenario would have been CPU throttling. Here's where i had my heart in my mouth; This morning i opened up my cabinet for a little post-spring cleaning when i noticed that two of the VRMs looked a little brownish towards the sides and a little on the top. Couldn't quite make out but it looked as if a bit of the black coating on the VRMs peeled off to expose some brown rusty stuff. It can't be rust can it? Or are the VRMs starting to burn out or something? I got scared and locked the processor back into a tri-core. What do you guys make of this? It isn't winter so i'm ruling out moisture and rust (besides, VRMs aren't made of metal!). Also recently, while playing games, be it Assassin's Creed or Rage, the computers been restarting and BSODing. Any help appreciated. I'll be buying the UD7 in a few months but for now what's the scenario like?

congrats! your mobo is failing. If your into high overclocks watch out on the UD7. it suffers from some harsh Vdroop and Boost. I got the UD3 and have been happy with it, Vdroop is minimal and I have not seen any boost.
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 32
Are you using the stock cooler?
GE60
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5 4200M Geforce GTX760M 750GB WD Scorpio Black Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
15.6" CM Quickfire Rapid CM Xornet Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
GE60
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5 4200M Geforce GTX760M 750GB WD Scorpio Black Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
15.6" CM Quickfire Rapid CM Xornet Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing View Post

congrats! your mobo is failing. If your into high overclocks watch out on the UD7. it suffers from some harsh Vdroop and Boost. I got the UD3 and have been happy with it, Vdroop is minimal and I have not seen any boost.

By failing you mean the VRMs? What if i keep it locked as a tri with a marginal overclock? That way will my mobo hold out for a couple of months till i get the 970A-UD3? I had my sights set on the Crosshair V, But that's only by next year's end.
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post

Are you using the stock cooler?

Yeah, using the stock cooler.
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 32
It's very well possible your VRM's have been slowly degrading/burning over time, because they aren't designed to handle that kind of power output. Yes, Asus does offer protective VRM technology (Usually protective shutdown or throttling to save VRM insta-death).. but that is only reduce the chance of failure. They still can fail, and it looks like yours have been slowly taking a dump unfortunately. It's good you noticed when you did, because sooner then later your PC just might not have turned on. frown.gif I'd revert it back to stock speeds if you haven't already & do some stress testing on STOCK settings.

If you are not stable under stock settings then you might want to look into a new board. If in which case you ARE stable.. then I think it'd be best to stay that way as the VRM's could be on the edge of failure.
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkX 1 View Post

By failing you mean the VRMs? What if i keep it locked as a tri with a marginal overclock? That way will my mobo hold out for a couple of months till i get the 970A-UD3? I had my sights set on the Crosshair V, But that's only by next year's end.

By failing I meant that you have pushed that board to hard for to long. Scaling back might help extend the boards life somewhat but if the coating has peeled off and they are rusting its only a matter of time before that board fail's. It might even pose a fire hazard pending on how bad the Vrams where cooked. It would be in your best intrest to obtain a new board as soon as your budget allows.
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

It's very well possible your VRM's have been slowly degrading/burning over time, because they aren't designed to handle that kind of power output. Yes, Asus does offer protective VRM technology (Usually protective shutdown or throttling to save VRM insta-death).. but that is only reduce the chance of failure. They still can fail, and it looks like yours have been slowly taking a dump unfortunately. It's good you noticed when you did, because sooner then later your PC just might not have turned on. frown.gif I'd revert it back to stock speeds if you haven't already & do some stress testing on STOCK settings.
If you are not stable under stock settings then you might want to look into a new board. If in which case you ARE stable.. then I think it'd be best to stay that way as the VRM's could be on the edge of failure.

Yeah i've just locked it back into a tri @ stock speeds. I'll do a stress test and report back. But could i atleast keep a marginal overclock with the processor as a tri?
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkX 1 View Post

Yeah i've just locked it back into a tri @ stock speeds. I'll do a stress test and report back. But could i atleast keep a marginal overclock with the processor as a tri?

The VRM's could be perfectly fine, but more then likely they are not. It's better to be cautious than be wrong and end up with a dead board. Even overclocking the processor without raising the voltage increases the TDP slightly. I am going to recommend you leave it stock, but that is up to you and I'm not sure how long your going to continue using this board.

I'd just stress test first, then let's see where that leaves you. thumb.gif
Edited by iinversion - 11/20/11 at 12:24am
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Ten thousand thundering typhoons!