Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Can I run these two different latency RAM sticks together? Dominator and Vengeance?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I run these two different latency RAM sticks together? Dominator and Vengeance?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I just bought the CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB kit from Fry's because they had a really good deal on it for $30 after a $30 rebate.

I am currently running a Corsair Dominator 6Gb kit and was wondering if you guys think they will play nice with each other as long as i relax the timings to run with the Vengeance timing of 9-9-9-24?


What do you guys think?
Work in progress
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @ 4.5 ASRock Extreme6 Z77 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengence 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256GB SSD / 2TB Raid 0 / 750gb backup Sony DVD-DL LG Bluray Burner Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 1440p CM Storm XT Corsair 850w Antec P280 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Corepad Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
Work in progress
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @ 4.5 ASRock Extreme6 Z77 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengence 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256GB SSD / 2TB Raid 0 / 750gb backup Sony DVD-DL LG Bluray Burner Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 1440p CM Storm XT Corsair 850w Antec P280 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Corepad Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
Each set run at different voltages, so it's tricky to give a definitive answer if they'll play nice.

Fully populated memory banks may harm your overclock headroom, so that's something to keep in mind.
 
X79 Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6950X @ 4.0Ghz Asus Rampage V Extreme [Bios:3101] 2x EVGA GeForce Titan X SC Editions in SLI 32GB (4×8) Corsair Dominator Platinums (3000Mhz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Nvme 2x 256GB Vertex 4 SSD (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda [Storage] Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x 27" Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 144hz  Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX 80 Plus Titanium 
CaseAudio
Lian Li PC-O8WX ATX Cube Case Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930K (C2) @ (4.6Ghz) Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Bios 3204) 3x EVGA GTX780Ti's SC Editions 32GB (4x8GB) G-Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4's (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 64MB Cache Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro 64Bit & Win10 Pro 64Bit Asus ROG Swift (2560x1440 @144hz) Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RED sleeved cables Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra 
  hide details  
Reply
 
X79 Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6950X @ 4.0Ghz Asus Rampage V Extreme [Bios:3101] 2x EVGA GeForce Titan X SC Editions in SLI 32GB (4×8) Corsair Dominator Platinums (3000Mhz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Nvme 2x 256GB Vertex 4 SSD (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda [Storage] Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x 27" Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 144hz  Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX 80 Plus Titanium 
CaseAudio
Lian Li PC-O8WX ATX Cube Case Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930K (C2) @ (4.6Ghz) Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Bios 3204) 3x EVGA GTX780Ti's SC Editions 32GB (4x8GB) G-Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4's (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 64MB Cache Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro 64Bit & Win10 Pro 64Bit Asus ROG Swift (2560x1440 @144hz) Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RED sleeved cables Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
should you mix 2g sticks with 4g sticks , I would have thought NO
X58 Beast
(20 items)
 
Work Beast
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Team Group Inc. Team Group Inc. Team Group Inc. 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair F120 WD Cavier Green WD Cavier Green Heatkiller GPU 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cuplex Kryos CPU Mora3 9X 140mm HTF4 3 X 140mm Win 7 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Acer GD245HD Corsair 1200 HafX Asus Xonar essence STX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA X58 3X SLI N560GTX-Ti Hawk N560GTX-Ti Hawk 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX WD Green WD Green N/A 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Megashadow Excalibur fan Win7 64x Corsair TX650M 
Case
Cardboard box 
  hide details  
Reply
X58 Beast
(20 items)
 
Work Beast
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 950 X58A-UD3R NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Team Group Inc. Team Group Inc. Team Group Inc. 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair F120 WD Cavier Green WD Cavier Green Heatkiller GPU 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cuplex Kryos CPU Mora3 9X 140mm HTF4 3 X 140mm Win 7 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Acer GD245HD Corsair 1200 HafX Asus Xonar essence STX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA X58 3X SLI N560GTX-Ti Hawk N560GTX-Ti Hawk 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX WD Green WD Green N/A 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Megashadow Excalibur fan Win7 64x Corsair TX650M 
Case
Cardboard box 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Yea, i was just thinking about that. I have the dominators at 1.65 and the Veng will run at 1.5.. Tricky tricky. I thought i saw Xmisery run them at 1.5 somehow.. Cant remember.
Work in progress
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @ 4.5 ASRock Extreme6 Z77 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengence 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256GB SSD / 2TB Raid 0 / 750gb backup Sony DVD-DL LG Bluray Burner Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 1440p CM Storm XT Corsair 850w Antec P280 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Corepad Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
Work in progress
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @ 4.5 ASRock Extreme6 Z77 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengence 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256GB SSD / 2TB Raid 0 / 750gb backup Sony DVD-DL LG Bluray Burner Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 1440p CM Storm XT Corsair 850w Antec P280 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Corepad Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
I'd be running 3 of the 4GB Vengeance (for 12 GB total, populating DIMM slots #2, #4, and #6) at 9-9-9-24 if you're doing things that use a huge amount of RAM like video production or major rendering projects. With your motherboard, I think the triple-channel RAM works best in the blue slots, but it might favor the black slots. Check your manual.

If you are looking for more performance with gaming and such, then I'd be using the 3 of the 2GB (for 6GB total, populating DIMM slots #2, #4, and #6) at 8-8-8-24-2T as the more aggressive timings will suit you better and 6 GB is plenty for every game that I know of.

I've never played with triple-channel RAM before.


If you were going to mix and match RAM you would have to put like RAM in like colored slots for triple-channel to work. Thus you'd have to have the 4 GB DIMMs in the black slots and the 2 GB DIMMs in the blue slots and you'd have to populate all six slots for the 18 GB total. Your motherboard is almost guaranteed to run at the slower of the two timings and in fact is highly likely to slow the timings down even further, perhaps as low as 11-11-11-31 or something, before it's stable.

That's the downside to populating all of the DIMMs and especially with mixing and matching RAM.

If you try to put a 2 GB DIMM and a 4 GB DIMM both in a black slot (or both in a blue slot) on your motherboard, it's going to revert to single channel mode and kill your performance.

EDIT: The Vengeance are at a lower voltage and although you may get both DIMMs to play nicely at 1.5V you will not get them to play nicely at 1.65V and you may harm the Vengeance pair in so doing. Assuming you can even get it past POST with all 6 DIMMs populated...

I'd just stick with the Vengeance for 12 GB total in the black (or blue) slots in triple-channel mode and sell the Dominators in triple-channel mode. (Although your motherboard can do dual-channel mode if you wanted to stick with 2 in the black, or 2 in the black and 2 in the blue.)
Edited by shad0wfax - 11/23/11 at 2:20am
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamdam View Post

I just bought the CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB kit from Fry's because they had a really good deal on it for $30 after a $30 rebate.

I am currently running a Corsair Dominator 6Gb kit and was wondering if you guys think they will play nice with each other as long as i relax the timings to run with the Vengeance timing of 9-9-9-24?


What do you guys think?


Yes, you could. They will run at Intel Flex mode. One set must populate one color DIMM slot and do not mix them. Let the BIOS select the timing and sub-timings and voltages.

 

The 18GB will run at Tri-Channel configuration.

 

 

dual4.jpg

 


Edited by Ken1649 - 11/23/11 at 2:38am
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post



Yes, you could. They will run at Intel Flex mode. One set must populate one color DIMM slot and do not mix them. Let the BIOS select the timing and sub-timings and voltages.

The 18GB will run at Tri-Channel configuration.

512x192px-LL-dcc21465_dual4.jpeg

Nice to know..
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wfax View Post

I'd be running 3 of the 4GB Vengeance (for 12 GB total, populating DIMM slots #2, #4, and #6) at 9-9-9-24 if you're doing things that use a huge amount of RAM like video production or major rendering projects. With your motherboard, I think the triple-channel RAM works best in the blue slots, but it might favor the black slots. Check your manual.
If you are looking for more performance with gaming and such, then I'd be using the 3 of the 2GB (for 6GB total, populating DIMM slots #2, #4, and #6) at 8-8-8-24-2T as the more aggressive timings will suit you better and 6 GB is plenty for every game that I know of.
I've never played with triple-channel RAM before.
If you were going to mix and match RAM you would have to put like RAM in like colored slots for triple-channel to work. Thus you'd have to have the 4 GB DIMMs in the black slots and the 2 GB DIMMs in the blue slots and you'd have to populate all six slots for the 18 GB total. Your motherboard is almost guaranteed to run at the slower of the two timings and in fact is highly likely to slow the timings down even further, perhaps as low as 11-11-11-31 or something, before it's stable.
That's the downside to populating all of the DIMMs and especially with mixing and matching RAM.
If you try to put a 2 GB DIMM and a 4 GB DIMM both in a black slot (or both in a blue slot) on your motherboard, it's going to revert to single channel mode and kill your performance.
EDIT: The Vengeance are at a lower voltage and although you may get both DIMMs to play nicely at 1.5V you will not get them to play nicely at 1.65V and you may harm the Vengeance pair in so doing. Assuming you can even get it past POST with all 6 DIMMs populated...
I'd just stick with the Vengeance for 12 GB total in the black (or blue) slots in triple-channel mode and sell the Dominators in triple-channel mode. (Although your motherboard can do dual-channel mode if you wanted to stick with 2 in the black, or 2 in the black and 2 in the blue.)

Thanks.. But, I didn't think there was that big of a performance gain running tighter timings, well, for gaming anyways..? Like, i wont see more fps by running the 6gb at 8-8-8-24 vs running just the 12gb at 9-9-9-24. Or for that matter, running all 18GB and letting my motherboard decide the voltages and timings, if that will even work correctly and in triple channel mode.. crossing fingers, but I am running two GTX480's, so the difference, if any, that running the ram at tighter timings will make, will probably not be noticeable.

Sorry for using so many comma's.
Work in progress
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @ 4.5 ASRock Extreme6 Z77 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengence 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256GB SSD / 2TB Raid 0 / 750gb backup Sony DVD-DL LG Bluray Burner Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 1440p CM Storm XT Corsair 850w Antec P280 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Corepad Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
Work in progress
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @ 4.5 ASRock Extreme6 Z77 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengence 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256GB SSD / 2TB Raid 0 / 750gb backup Sony DVD-DL LG Bluray Burner Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 1440p CM Storm XT Corsair 850w Antec P280 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Corepad Logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamdam View Post


Thanks.. But, I didn't think there was that big of a performance gain running tighter timings, well, for gaming anyways..? Like, i wont see more fps by running the 6gb at 8-8-8-24 vs running just the 12gb at 9-9-9-24. Or for that matter, running all 18GB and letting my motherboard decide the voltages and timings, if that will even work correctly and in triple channel mode.. crossing fingers, but I am running two GTX480's, so the difference, if any, that running the ram at tighter timings will make, will probably not be noticeable.

Sorry for using so many comma's.

It could be noticeable, depending on your motherboard. You'll definitely want to disable your page-file (aka swap file aka virtual memory) whether you're at 6 GB, 12 GB, or 18 GB. The issue is that you probably won't ever use more than 6 GB of RAM unless you're doing heavy video production. RAM isn't like CPU frequency. Going overboard on RAM doesn't do you any good; it only hurts your performance. It's always better to have about 20% more RAM than you need at the absolute maximum with your peak use. If you're heavy into video production, rendering, Maya, AutoCAD, or SolidWorks you might just need 18 GB of RAM. If you're editing 1 TB satellite images, for example, you're going to need huge amounts of RAM.

But your typical gamer and home PC user won't need more than 8 GB of RAM with the pagefile disabled and if you optimize a Windows 7 install and are careful with your resources, you can do just great without a pagefile running at 4 GB of RAM.

Having less RAM also gives you more OC headroom for your CPU. I'd personally keep a close eye on just how much RAM you're actually using with your pagefile disabled and then choose either 3 x 2 GB or 3 x 4 GB and stay with 3 DIMMs populated in triple-channel mode.
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Can I run these two different latency RAM sticks together? Dominator and Vengeance?