Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Is it my cpu?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it my cpu? - Page 8

post #71 of 98
Thread Starter 
ignore this
Edited by TheGrayDon10 - 2/5/12 at 9:09am
post #72 of 98
Thread Starter 
ignore this
Edited by TheGrayDon10 - 2/5/12 at 9:10am
post #73 of 98
Thread Starter 
Damn computer triple-posted...

Are you referring to the entire thread? If so, pay it no mind. It's mostly become my new ocn computer blog, since they did away/ erased my old blog when they updated.

If you are referring to my latest post and me moving my boot data, I moved it because my old boot drive was a green drive. When I built the pc I was 1000% a newb and didn't know any better (I'm still about 70% newb now).

What I did was partition my boot files away from my other files in order to make it small enough to clone to the 160gb drive. It somewhat worked, but not how I planned. I instead installed a fresh copy of Windows onto the new drive and just used my back-up of the old drive to manually transfer all the data over. A great deal of my programs made the smooth transition, but others I had to repair or reinstall all together. In the process of partitioning manually (lots of shrinking and expanding of the partions due to limited free space) via disk management, the old (green) boot drive changed from a basic primary to a dynamic drive. (I've since started using EaseUS for my partitioning and back-ups.)

In other news, between yesterday and today, I got Skyrim back up and running and recovered my deleted save files via Recuva. I also overclocked my system back up to 3.524 ghz from 3.100 stock. and maximaized my gfx card's oc via MSI Afterburner. core= 775->850 mhz and memory= 1000->1050.

My next upgrade will be swapping out my Freezer Pro 7 rev.2 for a cpu cooler that actually fits my board.
Edited by TheGrayDon10 - 2/5/12 at 9:30am
post #74 of 98
Maybe get a h60/80
My pc
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k@4.7ghz Biostar tp67xe 7850 1050/1250mhz gt520 1010 /2020mhz 1040mhz 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ddr3 1600mhz mushkin redline 500g seagate,500g wd, 640g wd, in raid 1 lg 22x optical drive h60 push/pull 
OSPowerCaseAudio
win7 home premium tr2 rx-850w cm 690 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
My pc
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k@4.7ghz Biostar tp67xe 7850 1050/1250mhz gt520 1010 /2020mhz 1040mhz 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ddr3 1600mhz mushkin redline 500g seagate,500g wd, 640g wd, in raid 1 lg 22x optical drive h60 push/pull 
OSPowerCaseAudio
win7 home premium tr2 rx-850w cm 690 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 98
Thread Starter 
I don't know much about those or anything really about liquid cooling. Are the H-series stand-alone parts are must they be attached to a loop and pump? I'm primarily a fan of air cooling btw.
Edited by TheGrayDon10 - 2/5/12 at 9:44am
post #76 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrayDon10 View Post

Damn computer triple-posted...
Are you referring to the entire thread? If so, pay it no mind. It's mostly become my new ocn computer blog, since they did away/ erased my old blog when they updated.
If you are referring to my latest post and me moving my boot data, I moved it because my old boot drive was a green drive. When I built the pc I was 1000% a newb and didn't know any better (I'm still about 70% newb now).
What I did was partition my boot files away from my other files in order to make it small enough to clone to the 160gb drive. It somewhat worked, but not how I planned. I instead installed a fresh copy of Windows onto the new drive and just used my back-up of the old drive to manually transfer all the data over. A great deal of my programs made the smooth transition, but others I had to repair or reinstall all together. In the process of partitioning manually (lots of shrinking and expanding of the partions due to limited free space) via disk management, the old (green) boot drive changed from a basic primary to a dynamic drive. (I've since started using EaseUS for my partitioning and back-ups.)
In other news, between yesterday and today, I got Skyrim back up and running and recovered my deleted save files via Recuva. I also overclocked my system back up to 3.524 ghz from 3.100 stock. and maximaized my gfx card's oc via MSI Afterburner. core= 775->850 mhz and memory= 1000->1050.
My next upgrade will be swapping out my Freezer Pro 7 rev.2 for a cpu cooler that actually fits my board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrayDon10 View Post

I don't know much about those or anything really about liquid cooling. Are the H-series stand-alone parts are must they be attached to a loop and pump? I'm primarily a fan of air cooling btw.

Okay, that makes much more sense.

Reading spaced out paragraphs is much more follow-able compared to a wall of text.

IMO, I would've just fresh-installed (as you did), and did a Windows Easy Transfer (surprisingly easy) for my data, and re-do everything else.
I like to do this often, maybe at least once a year, or every MAJOR hardware change (i.e. mobo/cpu/hard-drive swap, etc).

As far as your new CPU cooler; I myself have a Hyper 212+. I love it, it moved my temps down to 25C, from well above 38-45 on the stock AMD cooler.

However, I have come across a few guys who think the 212+ and EVOs are now outmatched with a few new contenders.
These being the Sunbeam Twister, and the Enermax T40.

Twister 120:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207009

Enermax T40:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214023

The H-series water coolers are closed loop, in which the pump and radiator is all included.
Simply, you mount the cpu block (pump in this 'block') to the CPU, mount the radiator to the rear/any exhaust, attach a fan, plug it all in, and go.

I like my air cooling for now, but do see myself doing closed loop sometime in the future, if not full blown water looping.

Good luck!
post #77 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post

Okay, that makes much more sense.
Reading spaced out paragraphs is much more follow-able compared to a wall of text.
IMO, I would've just fresh-installed (as you did), and did a Windows Easy Transfer (surprisingly easy) for my data, and re-do everything else.
I like to do this often, maybe at least once a year, or every MAJOR hardware change (i.e. mobo/cpu/hard-drive swap, etc).
As far as your new CPU cooler; I myself have a Hyper 212+. I love it, it moved my temps down to 25C, from well above 38-45 on the stock AMD cooler.
However, I have come across a few guys who think the 212+ and EVOs are now outmatched with a few new contenders.
These being the Sunbeam Twister, and the Enermax T40.
Twister 120:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207009
Enermax T40:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214023
The H-series water coolers are closed loop, in which the pump and radiator is all included.
Simply, you mount the cpu block (pump in this 'block') to the CPU, mount the radiator to the rear/any exhaust, attach a fan, plug it all in, and go.
I like my air cooling for now, but do see myself doing closed loop sometime in the future, if not full blown water looping.
Good luck!

Thanks for the info and advice. can you do an easy transfer between two drives in the same system? i've only ever done it between computers from my laptop to my gaming rig when i first built it.
post #78 of 98
Not that I know of.
However, what I was saying was that before you reformatted, you could have Easy Transferred to an external hard drive, or into a regular hard drive, and save it as a file.

Then when a fresh install is up and running, plug that file in, and have it finish the transfer.
Should keep all the data intact.
post #79 of 98
Thread Starter 
no external drives available for that. all the available ones were internal and inside my sig.
post #80 of 98
Thread Starter 
Ok, so, i replaced my 5670 with a 4870 1gb. though it's a drop down from dx11.0, i don;t mind at all. I recently used overdrive/ amd ccc to overclock my gpu. clock is set to 750 and memory to 1030. in order to install that card, i hace to remove my pci wireless card, so i'm wiyout net on that comp til i get a new usb wireless adapter

I've noticed that i can no longer run cinemark 11.5's opengl bench nor 3dmark11. these areno biggies though.

one thing i've noticed thoygh is that my cpu overclock is no longer as stable as it was since replacing the card. and overdrive just makes my computer bsod almost immediately. even on stock.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Is it my cpu?