Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › ASRock extreme3,4,5,6,7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASRock extreme3,4,5,6,7 - Page 2

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal777 View Post

just my advice, ive been through a few boards in my time, i overclock a lot as a hobby and ive done my fair share of going the cheapest path. personal preference to me really, but i believe that the key to an overclocking rig that wont have issues is a strong motherboard. the Extreme 3 would be fine for small overclocks but if you wanted to go for a 5ghz 2600K overclock or something like that then really you cant completely expect a cheap board to handle it trouble free. all it takes is a MOSFET to blow under load in the right conditions and it will take out the cpu, power supply and any expansion cards attached to the motherboard. its just not worth the risk over $100. also not to bad mouth AsRock as they have really picked up their game with producing some good boards lately, but their cheap boards are known to be pretty bad quality.

I bet you look at a mother boards price and see its in the ":good quality" section and buy it. Do research, don't ever buy because of price. Thats so stupid. An extra 100 dollars could mean, more usb 3.0, more headers, more features, yet still have the same VRM's and be over exaggerated.
Home Built
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500k Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 Sapphire reference 7950 G.Skill 8gb DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung EVO 840 WD Caviar Green 1tb WD Caviar Black WriteScribe Sata 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 8.1 Pro Ubuntu 14.10 ASUS VW193T Dell 1907FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate OCZ StealthXStream 600W Antec One Hundred gaming series Razer Spectre 
  hide details  
Reply
Home Built
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500k Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 Sapphire reference 7950 G.Skill 8gb DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung EVO 840 WD Caviar Green 1tb WD Caviar Black WriteScribe Sata 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 8.1 Pro Ubuntu 14.10 ASUS VW193T Dell 1907FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate OCZ StealthXStream 600W Antec One Hundred gaming series Razer Spectre 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonu42 View Post

I bet you look at a mother boards price and see its in the ":good quality" section and buy it. Do research, don't ever buy because of price. Thats so stupid. An extra 100 dollars could mean, more usb 3.0, more headers, more features, yet still have the same VRM's and be over exaggerated.

actually there is a few things i look at for a motherboard and price isnt one of them. i look at the phase count of the board because i will be using it for overclocking and know that more phases mean less stress on the VRM. i look at the heatsink design and think about if it will handle the heat ill be asking it to take, and if need be can i mount a fan to it. i also look for boards with digital MOSFET's, good layout of parts and high quality parts. when i find a board that fits into that i then research it to see if there are any common problems with the board (so not to buy a good looking board with issues) the amount of USB ports, SATA ports and all that fancy stuff doesnt concern me.

we can argue this all day, but the fact is that the Extreme 7 is a better board, and yes price 80% of the time does come into play for obvious reasons. as i said in my first post, if he has the extra $100 to spend he would be better off with the Extreme 7, it is the better board, not because of more USB ports, or SATA ports, but because it has a stronger VRM, better cooling and overall a better board.
Finally Finished!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930K Batch: 3135B495T Gigabyte X79 UD7 GTX 570 3-way SLi Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Vertex II / 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpoint EK Supreme HF Nickel, EK DCP4.0, Stealth GT 360... Windows 7 Ult 64bit Acer 22" G225HQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lacosa Mirror Edition Silverstone Strider 1500w  Aerocool X-Preditor  CM Storm Sentinel Advanced 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally Finished!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930K Batch: 3135B495T Gigabyte X79 UD7 GTX 570 3-way SLi Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Vertex II / 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpoint EK Supreme HF Nickel, EK DCP4.0, Stealth GT 360... Windows 7 Ult 64bit Acer 22" G225HQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lacosa Mirror Edition Silverstone Strider 1500w  Aerocool X-Preditor  CM Storm Sentinel Advanced 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal777 View Post

actually there is a few things i look at for a motherboard and price isnt one of them. i look at the phase count of the board because i will be using it for overclocking and know that more phases mean less stress on the VRM. i look at the heatsink design and think about if it will handle the heat ill be asking it to take, and if need be can i mount a fan to it. i also look for boards with digital MOSFET's, good layout of parts and high quality parts. when i find a board that fits into that i then research it to see if there are any common problems with the board (so not to buy a good looking board with issues) the amount of USB ports, SATA ports and all that fancy stuff doesnt concern me.
we can argue this all day, but the fact is that the Extreme 7 is a better board, and yes price 80% of the time does come into play for obvious reasons. as i said in my first post, if he has the extra $100 to spend he would be better off with the Extreme 7, it is the better board, not because of more USB ports, or SATA ports, but because it has a stronger VRM, better cooling and overall a better board.

Edit: for example one of the boards i own is a LanParty P45-T3Rs which is a $120 board when it came out (id consider this cheap) and it is easily one of the better overclocking boards for the LGA775 socket.
Finally Finished!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930K Batch: 3135B495T Gigabyte X79 UD7 GTX 570 3-way SLi Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Vertex II / 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpoint EK Supreme HF Nickel, EK DCP4.0, Stealth GT 360... Windows 7 Ult 64bit Acer 22" G225HQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lacosa Mirror Edition Silverstone Strider 1500w  Aerocool X-Preditor  CM Storm Sentinel Advanced 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally Finished!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930K Batch: 3135B495T Gigabyte X79 UD7 GTX 570 3-way SLi Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Vertex II / 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpoint EK Supreme HF Nickel, EK DCP4.0, Stealth GT 360... Windows 7 Ult 64bit Acer 22" G225HQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lacosa Mirror Edition Silverstone Strider 1500w  Aerocool X-Preditor  CM Storm Sentinel Advanced 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
So the extreme 7 is a better board than the fat?
Mike's Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 XFX 7970 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600  OCZ SSD  Samsung Blue Ray Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit HANNS-G 27inch Corsair k90 Corsair HX850 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 650D Corsair M60 Razer Scarab 
  hide details  
Reply
Mike's Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 XFX 7970 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600  OCZ SSD  Samsung Blue Ray Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64bit HANNS-G 27inch Corsair k90 Corsair HX850 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 650D Corsair M60 Razer Scarab 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ke1991 View Post

So the extreme 7 is a better board than the fat?

only just, thats a pretty hard one to answer, both are really good boards, i would recommend either.
Finally Finished!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930K Batch: 3135B495T Gigabyte X79 UD7 GTX 570 3-way SLi Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Vertex II / 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpoint EK Supreme HF Nickel, EK DCP4.0, Stealth GT 360... Windows 7 Ult 64bit Acer 22" G225HQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lacosa Mirror Edition Silverstone Strider 1500w  Aerocool X-Preditor  CM Storm Sentinel Advanced 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Finally Finished!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930K Batch: 3135B495T Gigabyte X79 UD7 GTX 570 3-way SLi Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Vertex II / 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpoint EK Supreme HF Nickel, EK DCP4.0, Stealth GT 360... Windows 7 Ult 64bit Acer 22" G225HQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lacosa Mirror Edition Silverstone Strider 1500w  Aerocool X-Preditor  CM Storm Sentinel Advanced 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed edition 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › ASRock extreme3,4,5,6,7