Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › New build: 6770 or 6850 for video editing? 2600k or more RAM?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New build: 6770 or 6850 for video editing? 2600k or more RAM?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi, I am all new on this forum. I have been doing a lot of research including on this forum but never posted anything yet :-)
Thank you for your help!

I have also updated the config:

Purchase Date: Within a week
Budget Range: 1200-1500 dollars
Country: Netherlands (but not Dutch lol)
Monitor Resolution: not sure??


Main use by priority:
1Video editing with camcorder (once a week)
2A bit of gaming but not latest games (1-2 times a week)
3Browsing the web + lots of windows opened (every day)
4A bit of overclocking for the fun of it (Aim: 4.3-4.5Ghz)



Build I have in mind:********(Price target)
CPUIntel® Core™ i5-2500K********(250)
MotherboardASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ********(160)
RAMG.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2x4GB 1600 ********(50)
Windows 7Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit EN******(120)
CPU coolerCooler Master Hyper 212 Plus********(40)
Hard drive"Seagate ST2000DL003 2TB interne 5900 rpm Green(200)
Video cardAsus Video card Radeon 6670,1GB (Silent)********(120)
TowerZalman Z9 Plus?********(90)
PSU Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master... still checking********(55)
DVD driveLG DVD Brander DVR DL 24X,SATA??********(25)
Monitor Samsung 22 inch SyncMaster B2230N?22 inch?********(150)


Then in a year or so, I would get these:
SSD drive for boot(OCZ Technology SSD Vertex Plus - 60GB)
Raid of 2x 500GB HDD

Some questions:
1Memory + 212plus => no problem with 1st ram slot?
2Is video card ok? Is nvidia better? Any brands adviced?
3Is it an acceptable config for video editing? (especially for video editing) What would need upgraded for better?
4For the tower.. So much choice… But here is me: Not many components, not too complex, not too noisy, good front ports (does the extreme3 allow for USB front ports?) (or CoolerMaster Elite 430?? cooler master cm 690 II?? Storm Enforcer? , fractal design arc)
5What watt power do I need for all this? (400-500?) Any brand recommended? (not too expensive (60 about) Modular?
6Is a silent video card a good idea? (I had twice fans dying before…)

New question also:
Is it worth it taking 4x4GB but 1333 or better keep 2x4GB with 1600. I am thinking mainly about video editing here
Edited by menicolas - 11/29/11 at 5:49am
post #2 of 13
RAID probably isn't worth it at all. Your money would be better spent on a SSD setup and forgetting about RAID. Your CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and cooler choices are all optimal. I would suggest that you get the Windows 7 Professional OEM 64 bit instead of the home premium, because you can buy that for the same price or less than you listed your Home Premium for.

I would suggest that you avoid the Seagate Green drives and get a Western Digital Caviar Black instead. They're a 7,200 RPM drive and they have much more cache and quicker response times. They're about $40 more than the one you listed, but you get what you pay for there. (However, now is not the time to buy HDDs due to the flooding in Thailand affecting supply.)

I'd suggest that you not skimp on a PSU. I recommend a 650W PSU from a good company like Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master, or the like. It will probably cost you more than $55 but it's money well spent, especially if you plan to upgrade the video card later and OC your CPU. Plan on spending $90+ on a PSU.

Your video card is definitely the weak link in your system but you said that you were not concerned with playing the latest games, so it seems that you are aware of that. I've heard good things about MSI and Gigabyte video cards. Some people like Sapphires also, although I do not have experience with them. (I've been using eVGA cards but they aren't making the model you want.) Consider a GTX 460 instead: check this out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133394 It's a recertified GTX 460 for $105. Yeah, I know that it's recertified, which means it's been used and repaired but since you're not going to be doing heavy work with it, I'll bet that it'll be ok. You can't beat the performance to price ratio of that 460 and it will blow the card you listed away in terms of performance. The nvidia GTX 460 1GB is roughly comparable to the Radeon 6850s.

Buy a functional case if you're on a budget. Many companies are marketing great looking designs for use with lights and specialty items but you can make things work efficiently with a plain looking but functional case if you're not big on frills.

Here's a pretty nice case with two 120mm fans and no power supply for $35 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147113

Here's a really nice Antec case for $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042 It's got a 120mm fan and a 140mm fan and comes with washable filters for dust abatement. The stock fans are a little noisy, but you can always replace them or use a fan controller to dial them down a bit.
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
Your build looks good, the 1200-1500$ budget allows for a pretty fast rig. A few answers:

*the motherboard is ok, but maybe a bit overkill. It would be worth it if you plan on using the Z68/QuickSync for encoding, else a P67 is cheaper and just as good
*my 212+ is sufficiently high above normal RAM. However I had briefly some RAM with very tall heatspreaders which didn't fit under the 212+
*a 5750 / 6750 or GTS 450 would be a far better choice if it would fit the budget
*a 2600K would be faster, so if you plan on encoding many hours per day the ~20% speed increase may be visible. If you plan to encode only from time to time or to leave it do the job during nights the 2500K is largely enough; I would get 8GB DDR3
*for the tower the reviews from this site are very thorough even if the author complains a bit too much on the lack of toll-less designs: http://www.anandtech.com/tag/casecoolingpsus My favorite is the Fractal Design Arc Midi (about 100$), depending on what you favor colling VS silence there are quite a few cases tested
*a PSU such as the Antec Eco 400W is a good fit even if OCing
*nah, any graphics card that is fast enough for games will need active cooling. Those that are passive need very good case airflow (so fans). Favor graphics cards with huge coolers and big slow spinning fans, a HSF something like the Accelero Twin Turbo.

Cheers
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
Centurion
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 @3.3GHz 1.25V Gigabyte 790X-DS4 XFX 5850 8GB OCZ DDR2-800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force 3 TRUE Win 7 Pro x64 ACER 23" TN  
PowerCase
400W Silverstone Strider Antec P182 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks a lot for your reply! I really appreciate smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wfax View Post

RAID probably isn't worth it at all. Your money would be better spent on a SSD setup and forgetting about RAID. Your CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and cooler choices are all optimal. I would suggest that you get the Windows 7 Professional OEM 64 bit instead of the home premium, because you can buy that for the same price or less than you listed your Home Premium for.

Raid is just an idea... to make most important data more secure.
SSD is definitly ont thing i will go with... but I can wait a little tongue.gif
Quote:
I would suggest that you avoid the Seagate Green drives and get a Western Digital Caviar Black instead. They're a 7,200 RPM drive and they have much more cache and quicker response times. They're about $40 more than the one you listed, but you get what you pay for there. (However, now is not the time to buy HDDs due to the flooding in Thailand affecting supply.)

Actually the only part I bought was this HDD... and that was because of the flooding. I got it for about 200 dollars... as I was afraid of prices going too much up by the time I researched it all. The WD were already too expensive...

And yes I have got to look more at PSU, and can spend a little more than 55

Quote:
Your video card is definitely the weak link in your system but you said that you were not concerned with playing the latest games, so it seems that you are aware of that. I've heard good things about MSI and Gigabyte video cards. Some people like Sapphires also, although I do not have experience with them. (I've been using eVGA cards but they aren't making the model you want.) Consider a GTX 460 instead: check this out... It's a recertified GTX 460 for $105. Yeah, I know that it's recertified, which means it's been used and repaired but since you're not going to be doing heavy work with it, I'll bet that it'll be ok. You can't beat the performance to price ratio of that 460 and it will blow the card you listed away in terms of performance. The nvidia GTX 460 1GB is roughly comparable to the Radeon 6850s.
I have to admit I probably didn't look enough at video cards. I don't have access to newegg since I am in Europe, but I will look at what you suggest.
Is nvidia better for video editing?
Quote:
Buy a functional case if you're on a budget. Many companies are marketing great looking designs for use with lights and specialty items but you can make things work efficiently with a plain looking but functional case if you're not big on frills.
Here's a pretty nice case with two 120mm fans and no power supply for $35 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147113
Here's a really nice Antec case for $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042 It's got a 120mm fan and a 140mm fan and comes with washable filters for dust abatement. The stock fans are a little noisy, but you can always replace them or use a fan controller to dial them down a bit.
We unfortunatly don't have Rosewill in Europe :-(
I was also looking at that "Antec Three Hundred" before, but it didn't have a window with some nice blue lights. Not that I really need that... but thought why not? A fan with blue light I could always add anyway... and the window I could live without really
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks a lot also for your reply. A lot of useful info for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post

Your build looks good, the 1200-1500$ budget allows for a pretty fast rig. A few answers:
*the motherboard is ok, but maybe a bit overkill. It would be worth it if you plan on using the Z68/QuickSync for encoding, else a P67 is cheaper and just as good
*my 212+ is sufficiently high above normal RAM. However I had briefly some RAM with very tall heatspreaders which didn't fit under the 212+
*a 5750 / 6750 or GTS 450 would be a far better choice if it would fit the budget
*a 2600K would be faster, so if you plan on encoding many hours per day the ~20% speed increase may be visible. If you plan to encode only from time to time or to leave it do the job during nights the 2500K is largely enough; I would get 8GB DDR3
*for the tower the reviews from this site are very thorough even if the author complains a bit too much on the lack of toll-less designs: http://www.anandtech.com/tag/casecoolingpsus My favorite is the Fractal Design Arc Midi (about 100$), depending on what you favor colling VS silence there are quite a few cases tested
*a PSU such as the Antec Eco 400W is a good fit even if OCing
*nah, any graphics card that is fast enough for games will need active cooling. Those that are passive need very good case airflow (so fans). Favor graphics cards with huge coolers and big slow spinning fans, a HSF something like the Accelero Twin Turbo.
Cheers

I thought I would probably use the QuickSync for encoding... with my video editing. Did I miss understand?
Are the P67 really that much cheaper? I have read that you should now go for Z68, as they are not much more expensive... and allow for better upgrade later (not that I ever did...)
I will look more closely at teh video card and come back to you

Oh yes, I forgot to add the details of the memory. I will correct ( 2x4GB 1600)

Is the GTS 450 or 6750 that much better than 6670?
No MSI 6750 around here... but looking at mayeb Gigabyte or Sapphire then
But for my need, will nvidia be better or not?Ok for using fan on video card

You said it all perfect. I don't want to pay 100dollars more for just 20% extra that I can do during the night. And yes, I won't do many hours/day.

I will look further at case and PSU.

Cheers!
post #6 of 13
You're welcome. smile.gif

An alternative to RAID for data security is a USB 3.0 (or 2.0 high speed, or firewire or eSATA) external hard drive. It's not that RAID 5 (the only truly redundant array worth dealing with) is a bad idea, it's just costly and heavy on power consumption. Why not just have a nice external HDD to backup to and a fast SSD for OS/core programs and a HDD for your video storage?

NVIDIA vs AMD GPU debates can go on ad nauseum. Both companies make excellent GPUs and both companies have a niche. The GTX 580 is arguably the best single GPU on the market. The 6950 (OC'd to 6970) is, in most people's opinions, one of the best performance to cost ratio cards around. Both AMD and NVIDIA make excellent products; I couldn't say that one is "better" than the other for video encoding but perhaps a real video enthusiast can answer that for you. What may be important is that you have more video memory. In other words, you might be better off with a card that has less shaders but has 3 GB of DDR5 RAM instead of a faster card with more shaders and less (or slower) RAM. There are some GTX 580 "Classifieds" with 3 GB of RAM but they are ridiculously expensive. (like 60% of your total budget LOL) I'm not suggesting that you go that far with it, but you might look into cards that have 1.5 to 2 GB of video RAM on them. There are some cards that are better at shaders and lighting and worse at textures. If I recall, there were a few games that were very heavy on textures that an AMD card was dominating the similarly priced NVIDIA card in, but then when the tests went to games that were heavy on the shaders, the NVIDIA card dominated over the AMD card. Video encoding... I have no idea about. That may just be a case where the sheer speed and number of cores is most beneficial but I seem to recall that having more video RAM onboard helped.

I was trying to suggest some lower budget parts to compensate for higher budget parts elsewhere so that you could maintain your current budget. The pretty lighted cases look cool and if that's something you want, then go for it. I was trying to find ways to save money on frills so that you could spend more money on the weak points of your build such as the video card. Honestly, spend as much as you can afford to on the video card; you won't be disappointed. If you're planning to OC aggressively, don't skimp on the motherboard (get one with alot of phase control in the VRM). Don't skimp on the power supply either.
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by menicolas View Post


I thought I would probably use the QuickSync for encoding... with my video editing. Did I miss understand?
Are the P67 really that much cheaper? I have read that you should now go for Z68, as they are not much more expensive... and allow for better upgrade later (not that I ever did...)

Oh yes, I forgot to add the details of the memory. I will correct ( 2x4GB 1600)

Is the GTS 450 or 6750 that much better than 6670?

But for my need, will nvidia be better or not?Ok for using fan on video card

You said it all perfect. I don't want to pay 100dollars more for just 20% extra that I can do during the night. And yes, I won't do many hours/day.

(I cut some things out of your quote to just reply to the questions I could try to answer.)

Yes, P67 boards are significantly less costly than Z68 boards. However, the Z68 boards are supposed to be much better for video editing in outputs of MPEG-2/4/H.264 file.

Here's a review explaining why: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4330/asus-p8z68v-review/5

You picked a good choice in memory. You could spend a bit more for the same brand of RAM in a CL8 model or you could stay at your target budget with CL9 and probably not notice a difference.

The NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB (NOT GTS 450) and the AMD 6750 are both significantly better than the 6670. You definitely get what you pay for. I think that a GTX 460 is the better card, if you can afford it. (I'd try to make room to afford it.) Or get a 6850 if you can afford that. The GTX 460 1 GB and AMD 6850 are comparable cards and you can OC the 6850 to 6870 specs easily.)
Edited by shad0wfax - 11/25/11 at 6:40am
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wfax View Post

Yes, P67 boards are significantly less costly than Z68 boards. However, the Z68 boards are supposed to be much better for video editing in outputs of MPEG-2/4/H.264 file.
I had a good feeling about the extreme 3 as it is quite cheap... and has good review (overclocking unti 4.5Ghz).
Is it the P67 pro3 you are suggesting? But I would not be able to use the IGP... I thought it was nice to be able to use that... especially for video encoding...?
If it's the ASUS P8Z68-V, then it's a bit more expensive, and I am not sure if I will really use the extra it brings (more phase), since I don't aim to overclock passed 4.5Ghz
Quote:
The NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB (NOT GTS 450) and the AMD 6750 are both significantly better than the 6670. You definitely get what you pay for. I think that a GTX 460 is the better card, if you can afford it. (I'd try to make room to afford it.) Or get a 6850 if you can afford that. The GTX 460 1 GB and AMD 6850 are comparable cards and you can OC the 6850 to 6870 specs easily.)
Ok for budget RAM! Thanks!
You are right I think, it is probably worth going higher on video card
Why not GTS 450? Is GTS significantly lower than GTX?
If GTX 460 1 GB and AMD 6850 are comparable, then the GTX 460 is more expensive. 6850 about 170dollars, 460 about 200dollars. That starts to be expensive... and I am a little afraid that I have an overkill there...
Quote:
...Both AMD and NVIDIA make excellent products; I couldn't say that one is "better" than the other for video encoding but perhaps a real video enthusiast can answer that for you. What may be important is that you have more video memory. ...you might look into cards that have 1.5 to 2 GB of video RAM on them. There are some cards that are better at shaders and lighting and worse at textures.
I tried to look at more memory for 6770, but I cannot find anything... I would have to go down to 6570 for 2GB. But then the memory goes from GDDR5 to DDR3... does that matter?
Quote:
I was trying to suggest some lower budget parts to compensate for higher budget parts... The pretty lighted cases look cool and if that's something you want, then go for it...
Honestly, spend as much as you can afford to on the video card; you won't be disappointed.

Yes, lights on case looks cool.. but it will probably only be good for the first couple of days... not really sure I need the cool lights... You are probably right, it's a nice way to save money, and video card is definitly more needed
I was just trying to put a tiny little more money on a better case that I can reuse next time for an upgrade (I always buy a new case...)
Quote:
An alternative to RAID for data security is a USB 3.0 ...
External HDD to backup to + a fast SSD for OS/core programs + a HDD for your video storage is probably a good idea. I like that.
Quote:
I would suggest that you avoid the Seagate Green drives and get a Western Digital Caviar Black instead. They're a 7,200 RPM drive and they have much more cache and quicker response times. They're about $40 more than the one you listed, but you get what you pay for there. (However, now is not the time to buy HDDs due to the flooding in Thailand affecting supply.)

Coming back on the HDD... I am starting to wonder...
I might be thinking of returning the HDD I already have. Would a Western Digital WD15EARS Caviar Green 1.5TB (8.9 cm, 5400rpm, 8.9ms, 64MB Cache, SATA) be better than the Seagate 5900rpm I got?
THe WD greens seems to have the same amount of cache than mine...
I do like WD... and I trust them a little better
post #9 of 13
With overclocking to 4.5GHz and no further, you probably won't need as much phase control. In a nutshell, phase control lets you use a slightly lower voltage setting for the same over-clocked frequency while maintaining stability. (It simply reduces voltage fluctuation and gives you a tighter spread in your voltage variance. Sometimes, this lets you have a high OC at a lower voltage than would be possible than with another board.) Spending a little bit more on the motherboard for phase control may or may not be necessary, depending on luck and your situation. That's a personal decision and I can't say for sure which is best for you. From what I have read, but not from personal experience, the boards that have the Z68 in the part number (with the Integrated Graphics support) handle video encoding better. The boards with the P68 are essentially the same as the Z68 boards, but they don't have IGP and cost a bit less. Both are great chipsets and both will do what you want to do very well; one will just do it a little better.

I think that you'll be happy with a 6850. The AMD 6850 has been called by many people one of the best cards for the money. I don't think that it's overkill and I'm pretty sure that it will have sufficient video RAM to do anything that you need. It's also possible to clock the 6850 up to 6870 speeds and that's where it is very competitive with nvidia offerings. (Nvidia handles shaders better, AMD handles textures better, in the price range you're looking at. So some games AMD > Nvidia, other games Nvidia > AMD for that price range.)

If you're going to get a SSD for your OS/games and use your HDD for mass storage, that slow 5900 RPM Seagate is probably just fine. The WD Green is also just fine and there's no need to get a Black. My suggestion on a 7200 RPM WD Caviar Black was in lieu of the SSD. With a SSD, you could stick with your Seagate or upgrade to a WD Caviar Green at your option. You could even keep the Seagate you have (or have no HDD at all) and just have SSD + External backup, which might be the most economical option right now.
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks Shad0wfax for all your appreciated info.

I have decided to keep that z68

For the video card, I was going to go towards Sapphire 6770, as it seems better than GTS450.
Now looking at Sapphire 6850, I only see a difference of 28 euros (about 35-40american dollars).
Is that price difference worth it? From what you are saying, I suppose, the answer is yes.. I suppose that is for gaming...
But what about for video editing, is it worth it?
If I take the 6850 instead of the 6770, what does it mean for a PSU? how many more watt shall I plan for?

New question also:
Is it worth it taking 4x4GB but 1333 or better keep 2x4GB with 1600. I am thinking mainly about video editing here

Actually is it much better to go from i5 2500k to i7 2600k (hyperthreading), or from 2x4GB with 1600 to 4x4GB 1333? I ask that for video editing (more RAM good for video editing).
The move on RAM would cost me 40 more dollars, but the move on CPU would cost me 105dollars. So not comparable but is the move 2.5times better on the CPU?
Edited by menicolas - 11/29/11 at 5:49am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › New build: 6770 or 6850 for video editing? 2600k or more RAM?