Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [gamepur] Arkham City now Region Restricted
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[gamepur] Arkham City now Region Restricted - Page 7

post #61 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Back in the 90's/early 00's. Well not really, but you get what i mean.
Other than that, it's to prevent certain games (or even a certain version of the game) from entering a region it wasn't meant to be distributed in.

The specific problem with GFWL at least, is that it isn't officially supported in many regions.
It works fine, and the games are also sold locally by local vendors, and imported in by official distributors.

But, because its not officially supported, you get locked out of steam or origin or other services.
This is mainly an issue if you pre-order a game, and suddenly "sorry, you payed but can't play".
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

The specific problem with GFWL at least, is that it isn't officially supported in many regions.
It works fine, and the games are also sold locally by local vendors, and imported in by official distributors.
But, because its not officially supported, you get locked out of steam or origin or other services.
This is mainly an issue if you pre-order a game, and suddenly "sorry, you payed but can't play".

gotcha. but sounds more of a liability issue.
post #63 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Back in the 90's/early 00's. Well not really, but you get what i mean.
Other than that, it's to prevent certain games (or even a certain version of the game) from entering a region it wasn't meant to be distributed in.

The specific problem with GFWL at least, is that it isn't officially supported in many regions.
It works fine, and the games are also sold locally by local vendors, and imported in by official distributors.

But, because its not officially supported, you get locked out of steam or origin or other services.
This is mainly an issue if you pre-order a game, and suddenly "sorry, you payed but can't play".

That's bloody retarded. I know XBL/GWFL isn't officially supported all over the globe (We only got official XBL support here last year, but my account is still on US tho), but seriously??? :|

Moral of the story. Don't pre-order. It's never worth it...
Psylem Seeker
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.0 Ghz / 1.28v Asus P7P55D-E Premium Powercolor HD7870 Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Toshiba 2.5in External 500GB Toshiba 1TB StorE Alu2 External Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB External DVD Writer Thermalright Silver Arrow OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SyncMaster P2350 @ 1920x1080 (Dead: Using 15in ... Microsoft All-In-One + Cheapie Logitech kb Seasonic M12II 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Coolermaster 690-II Advanced Cheapie Logitech Ozaki WoW WR580 2.2ch Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 
OtherOtherOther
UMVC3 Hori Fight Stick Launchpad S + Launch Control Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (incoming) 
  hide details  
Reply
Psylem Seeker
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 4.0 Ghz / 1.28v Asus P7P55D-E Premium Powercolor HD7870 Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Toshiba 2.5in External 500GB Toshiba 1TB StorE Alu2 External Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB External DVD Writer Thermalright Silver Arrow OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SyncMaster P2350 @ 1920x1080 (Dead: Using 15in ... Microsoft All-In-One + Cheapie Logitech kb Seasonic M12II 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Coolermaster 690-II Advanced Cheapie Logitech Ozaki WoW WR580 2.2ch Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 
OtherOtherOther
UMVC3 Hori Fight Stick Launchpad S + Launch Control Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (incoming) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles37 View Post

Are you aware that you completely missed my point? Like by a mile?
Which was that it's on the developers to create ways to encourage people to pay. I don't care if it is multiplayer or freebies or extra content whatever, but it's impossible to expect most consumers to pay money when you don't offer them more value than a pirated version would. I said myself I was just giving quick, simplistic examples of creating value off the top of my head, so please don't use those to base an argument. It doesn't matter what they do so long as they do it. And just because you and I might lack the creativity or ingenuity to create a way to make paying for the game worth more than not paying doesn't mean it's not possible. It's completely possible.

And I am telling you that there is no way, not one because every bonus feature etc can be pirated. You say its up to the developers but you cannot come up with one example in history that this has worked out for a dev, even including little physical collectibles will not help as the pirates just want the game itself. I dont see computer stores giving a bonus ssd to any and every videocard purchase for the sole purpose of preventing people to stealing the card of the shelves, why should game companies?
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Redbox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5ghz Asus P8P67 GTX 970 Strix 12GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M500 Caviar Black 1TB Western Digital 500G DVD multirecorder 
OSPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64bit edition Antec Truepower 650 watt HAF 932 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausageson View Post

And I am telling you that there is no way, not one because every bonus feature etc can be pirated. You say its up to the developers but you cannot come up with one example in history that this has worked out for a dev, even including little physical collectibles will not help as the pirates just want the game itself. I dont see computer stores giving a bonus ssd to any and every videocard purchase for the sole purpose of preventing people to stealing the card of the shelves, why should game companies?

First of all, don't ever say "I am telling you" as if you are my superior. You are no where close. Nor do you absolutely know that this cannot be done just because you perceive it hasn't been done yet. The fact that you lack imagination doesn't mean somebody else can't come up with something.

Secondly, "why should game companies" be responsible for finding a way to discourage piracy? Because they have to, which is the impetus for innovation and change. The law is doing all it can (which is almost nothing), and it's completely unrealistic to put the burden on the consumer. If these companies don't figure something out, well then, they will simply continue to lose to piracy. One way to go.

Duh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [gamepur] Arkham City now Region Restricted