Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Forbes] Reddit Users Aim To Build A New, Censorship-Free Internet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Forbes] Reddit Users Aim To Build A New, Censorship-Free Internet - Page 5

post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex99 View Post

The US sets the precedent. If we let a bill like SOPA, or Protect IP get passed, other nations will follow. Domino effect, and before you know it, MLP will be the only thing allowed online*. As much as some like to deny it, most countries want to be like the United States.
*exaggeration, but you get the point

They would actually ban copyrighted content from being shown on the internet. Not even MLP would be safe. The internet would break from the butthurt of nearly every site going down. Most forums would probably go down because of those few people that would break the rules.

Say goodbye to your freedom of speech if this passes
Edited by lostmage - 11/27/11 at 5:01pm
Arcturus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690k @ 4.4ghz Asrock Z97 Pro4 Sapphire R9 390 G.Skill Sniper 2133mhz 8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 250gb WD Blue - 1Tb Mirrored Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
XFX TS 650w Corsair Carbide 200r Fiio E10/E9 Stack AKG Q701 
Audio
Grado SR325e 
  hide details  
Reply
Arcturus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690k @ 4.4ghz Asrock Z97 Pro4 Sapphire R9 390 G.Skill Sniper 2133mhz 8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 250gb WD Blue - 1Tb Mirrored Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
XFX TS 650w Corsair Carbide 200r Fiio E10/E9 Stack AKG Q701 
Audio
Grado SR325e 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex99 View Post

The US sets the precedent. If we let a bill like SOPA, or Protect IP get passed, other nations will follow. Domino effect, and before you know it, MLP will be the only thing allowed online*. As much as some like to deny it, most countries want to be like the United States.
*exaggeration, but you get the point

Unfortunately this is true. If anything like that passes in the US other countries will follow, and before we know it every country on the planet will be able to censor whatever they want on the internet.
post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post



 


Wrong, you can have both of them. Such as with google, you can find almost anything but it'll be hard to find child porn, beastality, video of a guy being tortured and killed,  etc.

Again if something is censored then you cannot argue freedom. You cannot by definition have both you must trade one for the other it is to what extent you are willing to trade. You gave three examples that you feel need to be censored so let me ask you if we could wipe that off the internet but in tern the internet itself is heavily censored and anonymity is completely gone would you make that trade, how much are you willing to give up?

I have found the internet to hold true to the saying 99.9% of the time : "you won't find it unless you are looking for it". So I honestly don't know what you are protecting people from....unless you are protecting people from themselves at which point you must not want banks because if banks didn't exist then bank robbers wouldn't rob banks.

As for SOPA most of you are missing the biggest problem with the bill; lack of due process. The copyright holder only has to make a complaint and bring it to the DOJ the DA then goes to a judge who signs a shut down order and the site is then removed from the internet. Nowhere in there does it give the website a chance to plead its case nor does the copyright holder have to prove with evidence of wrong doing. So let's say "youtube" is just getting off the ground and SOPA has been enacted, if this bill had existed "youtube" would not exist today. Another problem is competition, take youtube again but say that the major film companies launched something similar only you had to pay, one would think it would behoove them to try and get youtube shut down (get rid of the competition) and because they (establishment) have all the money and power, and a start up like youtube doesn't....who do you think would win? The biggest concern is what this bill could evolve into, once you give the government an opening they would take it and more, this bill while intended on stopping piracy will no doubt eventually trade freedom for security and end up costing us a lot long term.

It is easy to take peoples freedom away, you just do it little by little trading them for it until one day they wake up and find they have no freedom at all.
ThomasK
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k P67 980TI 8GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
850 W7 1200 P2 
  hide details  
Reply
ThomasK
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k P67 980TI 8GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
850 W7 1200 P2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy476 View Post

Again if something is censored then you cannot argue freedom. You cannot by definition have both you must trade one for the other it is to what extent you are willing to trade. You gave three examples that you feel need to be censored so let me ask you if we could wipe that off the internet but in tern the internet itself is heavily censored and anonymity is completely gone would you make that trade, how much are you willing to give up?
I have found the internet to hold true to the saying 99.9% of the time : "you won't find it unless you are looking for it". So I honestly don't know what you are protecting people from....unless you are protecting people from themselves at which point you must not want banks because if banks didn't exist then bank robbers wouldn't rob banks.
As for SOPA most of you are missing the biggest problem with the bill; lack of due process. The copyright holder only has to make a complaint and bring it to the DOJ the DA then goes to a judge who signs a shut down order and the site is then removed from the internet. Nowhere in there does it give the website a chance to plead its case nor does the copyright holder have to prove with evidence of wrong doing. So let's say "youtube" is just getting off the ground and SOPA has been enacted, if this bill had existed "youtube" would not exist today. Another problem is competition, take youtube again but say that the major film companies launched something similar only you had to pay, one would think it would behoove them to try and get youtube shut down (get rid of the competition) and because they (establishment) have all the money and power, and a start up like youtube doesn't....who do you think would win? The biggest concern is what this bill could evolve into, once you give the government an opening they would take it and more, this bill while intended on stopping piracy will no doubt eventually trade freedom for security and end up costing us a lot long term.
It is easy to take peoples freedom away, you just do it little by little trading them for it until one day they wake up and find they have no freedom at all.

Really this is it, people say that they want things like CP removed from the internet, thats understandable, but at the same time, how often do you "stumble" upon such a thing. If you dont search for it, you wont find it.

EDIT: taken from the freenet site
Quote:
While most people wish that child pornography and terrorism did not exist, humanity should not be deprived of their freedom to communicate just because of how a very small number of people might use that freedom.

Edited by 10halec - 11/27/11 at 9:36pm
Coming Soon!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 Sapphire Toxic HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveOSCase
Crucial m4 128gb (boot/games), SAMSUNG F3 1tb Windows 7 Ultimate, Fedora 14 Corsair 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
Coming Soon!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 Sapphire Toxic HD 6950 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveOSCase
Crucial m4 128gb (boot/games), SAMSUNG F3 1tb Windows 7 Ultimate, Fedora 14 Corsair 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy476 View Post

I disagree you either have freedom or censorship you cannot have both. I for one don't need "protection", and protection I might add from what? Who deems what people need protection from and what they don't?

Well I'm sorry to inform you, but your entire world is a combination of both freedom and censorship practices. Might be a little hard for you to understand though.
post #46 of 91
There really needs to be a digital rights set of amendments outlining a US citizens basic digital freedoms. It should be intelligent and well written in the same spirit of the Bill of Rights, in that it more limits what our government can't do instead of what we (as citizens) can do.
Ereshkigal
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS P5B DELUXE EVGA 8800GTS 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
western digital 200GBSATA XP SP2 Home 19" generic Saitek Eclipse Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
stock 410W / TT dedicated GPU 250W PSU INWIN x710 Logitech MX1000 ... Uhhhh my desk 
  hide details  
Reply
Ereshkigal
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS P5B DELUXE EVGA 8800GTS 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
western digital 200GBSATA XP SP2 Home 19" generic Saitek Eclipse Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
stock 410W / TT dedicated GPU 250W PSU INWIN x710 Logitech MX1000 ... Uhhhh my desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfroth View Post

There really needs to be a digital rights set of amendments outlining a US citizens basic digital freedoms. It should be intelligent and well written in the same spirit of the Bill of Rights, in that it more limits what our government can't do instead of what we (as citizens) can do.

The smartest thing anyone has said in this entire thread. Kudos to you sir. thumb.gif
Air 540
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.8ghz MSI z77 MPower  MSI GTX 780 Lightning Sli 8GB Corsair Vengeance White  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series 120GB WD Caviar Black 1TB NZXT Havik 140 W7-Home Edition x64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23.5@ 1920x1080 120hz Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlit Corsair AX 750 Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G700  GIGABYTE GP-MP8000 Extreme Accuracy Gaming Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Air 540
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.8ghz MSI z77 MPower  MSI GTX 780 Lightning Sli 8GB Corsair Vengeance White  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series 120GB WD Caviar Black 1TB NZXT Havik 140 W7-Home Edition x64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23.5@ 1920x1080 120hz Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlit Corsair AX 750 Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G700  GIGABYTE GP-MP8000 Extreme Accuracy Gaming Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 91
lol be careful, my threads about SOPA have been banned
post #49 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10halec View Post

Really this is it, people say that they want things like CP removed from the internet, thats understandable, but at the same time, how often do you "stumble" upon such a thing. If you dont search for it, you wont find it.
I don't want CP on the internet to protect the children, not because I might accidentally stumble upon it.
post #50 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post

I don't want CP on the internet to protect the children, not because I might accidentally stumble upon it.

And how, pray tell, does censoring CP on the internet protect children?

Do you think the freaks that develop CP will just up and quit? There was CP before the internet. It will just go back to the way it was.

Censorship doesn't protect. It's just an outlet for fear mongers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Forbes] Reddit Users Aim To Build A New, Censorship-Free Internet