Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Forbes] Reddit Users Aim To Build A New, Censorship-Free Internet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Forbes] Reddit Users Aim To Build A New, Censorship-Free Internet - Page 7

post #61 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post

Yep there is the dont look for it if you dont want it to be there but it will still be there. Easy to find. The point is to make it harder to find for a reason. The internet makes alot of things easier nowdays than it use tio be ie "free" piracy and thats whaqt this bill aims to stop. Realy i cannot see any legal reson a site hosting illigal content should not be blocked (the bill has the powers to drop dns only i think)
Why is noone crying about the blatent censorship in the media? Or Why is there a 9pm watershed? I mean hey no censorship right?
biggrin.gif

The problem isn't necessarily that, more how they intend on going about it. SOPA for example will give the DOJ/Government too much power and make it easy for them to get a site shut down. It sets a dangerous precedent that most fear will eventually evolve from just stopping piracy to silencing opposition or freedom of speech all together perhaps under the guise of security.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post

Well I'm sorry to inform you, but your entire world is a combination of both freedom and censorship practices. Might be a little hard for you to understand though.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy476 View Post

Again if something is censored then you cannot argue freedom. You cannot by definition have both you must trade one for the other it is to what extent you are willing to trade. You gave three examples that you feel need to be censored so let me ask you if we could wipe that off the internet but in tern the internet itself is heavily censored and anonymity is completely gone would you make that trade, how much are you willing to give up?
.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1174707/forbes-reddit-users-aim-to-build-a-new-censorship-free-internet/40#post_15794751

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy476 View Post

Everything has its price doesn't it.
Freedom vs. Security - how much of one are you willing to trade for the other.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1174707/forbes-reddit-users-aim-to-build-a-new-censorship-free-internet/10#post_15789234

Sure looks that way hugh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbNub View Post

Agreed.
Maybe because the reduced profits help deter it? If it isn't censored there is much more money to be made off of it and much more of it will be made.

That is not how that particular "culture" works. Most of the arrests made come from people "trading" that type of content usually operating in "groups" or "clubs" and most of it is personal "user generated" content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post

Yep there is the dont look for it if you dont want it to be there but it will still be there. Easy to find. The point is to make it harder to find for a reason. The internet makes alot of things easier nowdays than it use tio be ie "free" piracy and thats whaqt this bill aims to stop. Realy i cannot see any legal reson a site hosting illigal content should not be blocked (the bill has the powers to drop dns only i think)
Why is noone crying about the blatent censorship in the media? Or Why is there a 9pm watershed? I mean hey no censorship right?
biggrin.gif

It is too far gone. People are trying to stop it before it starts this time around. The funny thing is the only regulated TV is CBS, ABC, NBC ect...basic cable USA, FX, Comedy Central ect....all self regulate because of sponsorship pressure. So in theory FX or USA could show content like that seen on HBO, Showtime, Starz.
Edited by Zippy476 - 11/30/11 at 4:40am
ThomasK
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k P67 980TI 8GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
850 W7 1200 P2 
  hide details  
Reply
ThomasK
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k P67 980TI 8GB 
Hard DriveOSPower
850 W7 1200 P2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 91
Also do they honestly believe that politicians will sit back and watch it happen.... I think not.
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 91
I agree that once you give someone some power they will attempt to make this grow. But is that not what the government does best? They aim to control everything and may not always work in favour of the people. If the Gov wants something then they are gonna get it sooner or later (comes up with a plan to make it so that the .gov websites hosts some copywrited content to take it down)


I disagree with what i know about the act and i think its a stupid idea (ima jus playing devils advocate here!) Its a disastrous Idea that would never work. but at the same time noble (in the sense of they are wanting to prevent something that is nigh impossible to stop but is illigal)

I am reading though the proposed act fully now (god they are a pain to read compared to UK ones xD)


C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\SLSTROKOFF\APPLICATION DATA\ < white text != not there haha yay i have his user name xD and VerDate Nov 24 2008
??? the bills since 2008?


Technically feasible is used allot in the bill, could you argue that its not technically feasible to mes with dns resolution


(still reading)
Also as a side note, if the T&c's of a site say no americans would this circumvent the bill as it's audience is non american? or say it would be a econmic burden? (maybe a loophole)
Escobar
(9 items)
 
Supercomputer ^_^
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T M4A88T-D EVO USB3 ATI 6850 4 GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
DVD RW Windows 8 Pro lp1900 + 2 X 15 inch dell Microsoft Comfort Curve 
PowerCase
600watt thermaltake antec 200 
  hide details  
Reply
Escobar
(9 items)
 
Supercomputer ^_^
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T M4A88T-D EVO USB3 ATI 6850 4 GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
DVD RW Windows 8 Pro lp1900 + 2 X 15 inch dell Microsoft Comfort Curve 
PowerCase
600watt thermaltake antec 200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post

Censor this, censor that.  But at the end of the day, there is content on the internet that should be censored.  And just to give them a heads up, this censorship has been going on for some time.  It is meant for the protection of the people.  Unless these people are for some of the nasty of nasty content there is.

This just sound like people trying to make big deals out of nothing again.  Sensor free is a big no-no.


Freedom and protection don't fall in the same boat. By choosing protection your are allowing the government to intervene in a place that they have no right to intervene in. You need to ask yourself where the freedom is in this bill. You might also consider asking yourself if our forefathers needed protection to create America and its freedoms. This is the first government brainwashed post I came upon. I have yet to read the rest of the thread.

People are actually defending this nonsense?!?!?!?!?
post #65 of 91
This bill has nothing to do with stopping piracy. This has as much to do with stopping piracy and protecting the internet as the patriot act is patriotic and stopping terrorism.

Yea it SOUNDS great. But it will be used to destroy it. This isn't a tool of good but a tool of destruction. Censoring any information regardless if you agree with it or not should not be tolerated. Yes you can find immoral things and such on the internet. But what I find immoral or wrong can be and is different then yours or anyone else for that matter.

For example, I don't like how the MSM spins everything toward a political agenda, do I think they should be censored because I completely disagree with them and their puppetry? No. However I'm not calling for their censorship as I know what the outcome of that would be. You cannot let these control freaks dictate your life.

This would give the precedence to shut down any website for anything they deem "unacceptable." Yet who makes that decision on what is unacceptable. Some people could say that the NFL is immoral and shouldn't be allowed to be viewed. However this isn't shared with others and they will oppose that. But that doesn't mean the NFL should be shut down.

Another example is the burning of religious books. Personally I don't care as all you're doing is burning a book. However some people get very offended that their precious is being burned. And want to call for acts of violence. I do not agree that it's good to do such things however it is freedom of speech and expression and while not breaking any laws people can be upset about it, but that doesn't give the people that are upset about it the right to suppress that information. Regardless of subject or matter. Because at one point or another, you will be the one being suppressed and will want it the other way around when it's your turn.

That's what really baffles me is that people are so quick to want to oppress people but if a slight inkling of any resistance to the oppression and they want to react insensibly, and don't think that maybe it was their initial oppression that started the resistance to begin with.
Edited by KusH - 11/30/11 at 6:34am
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post



 


Wrong, you can have both of them. Such as with google, you can find almost anything but it'll be hard to find child porn, beastality, video of a guy being tortured and killed,  etc.


Must...refrain....from.....stupidity....comment.

What freedom do you have if other people are deciding how to protect you? Your decision making has been taken away. Google is in no way a logical, thought out, or intelligent response.

No disrespect intended. Never did have any luck with admins.
Edited by rdasch3 - 11/30/11 at 6:39am
post #67 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGrimmReaper View Post

And how, pray tell, does censoring CP on the internet protect children?

It doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbNub View Post

Agreed.
Maybe because the reduced profits help deter it? If it isn't censored there is much more money to be made off of it and much more of it will be made.

Profit? Let me guess, you still believe that "child pornography is a multi-billionaire international business" crap right?
post #68 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post

What's the line?
There will never be a consensuses on where exactly that line is. Removing *some* content is vague and dangerous. The political unfavorable of the month could easily be censored under that "some".
No censorship what so ever is what we need. If you can't handle the content, don't look at it, don't browse to it, don't search for it. That's simple and should be plain enough for everyone to understand.
So you're ok with CP being widely available on the internet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by girugamesh View Post

It doesn't.
Profit? Let me guess, you still believe that "child pornography is a multi-billionaire international business" crap right?
It does.

If CP is more easily accessible, and doesn't carry the felony-and-sex-offender-for-life consequence, a lot more people would probably be in to that sort of thing (ewww). Since the overall industry revenue would be higher, it would allow there to be more "producers" of said content, thus more children forced into doing things they shouldn't be doing. Censoring that content DOES protect children, because the industry is smaller than it would be without censorship.
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post

So you're ok with CP being widely available on the internet?
It does.
If CP is more easily accessible, and doesn't carry the felony-and-sex-offender-for-life consequence, a lot more people would probably be in to that sort of thing (ewww). Since the overall industry revenue would be higher, it would allow there to be more "producers" of said content, thus more children forced into doing things they shouldn't be doing. Censoring that content DOES protect children, because the industry is smaller than it would be without censorship.

QFT

As humans, we need regulation, else we succumb to chaos.
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post

Censoring that content DOES protect children, because the industry is smaller than it would be without censorship.
You mean the same way the government has been so successful at stopping people from speeding, underaged drinking, or using drugs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Forbes] Reddit Users Aim To Build A New, Censorship-Free Internet