This build is still ongoing, its time for another update (apologies its been so long as I have been busy with work and other stuff in evenings)Aquaero
In the spare time I have had In the evenings In the last few weeks I did manage to do some important pre-installation stuff with the Aquaero and PowerAdjusts, that will hopefully prevent some headaches further down the road.
After some reading I found out that "out of the box" a set-up with multiple power adjusts won't necessarily work - the PA's need to be each given a different "address" so that the Aquaero 5 XT can find and use each one. To do this I used my current PC an internal USB cable and the various versions of the aquasite software to do the following...
1) Update firmware on Aquaero XT 5 (finally I can disable the touch buttons and not worry about them being overly sensitive
2) Check/Update the firmware for each PowerAdjust
3) Set the three power adjusts to addresses 51,52,53 (or was it 50-52??
I don't have any pictures of the above being done, but thought it was worth pointing out/reminding others that may be using a similar set-up that its worth doing this first to prevent fiddling around with cables on an installed unit.
Once I had some more time this week I was able to build some new cables. - Firstly each of the Aquaero and PowerAdjusts has a molex power connector so I made a cable with four molex ends and a long lead to come up from the PSU which will be mounted in the rear of the CaseLabs M8 at the bottom.
The cable with four ends was pretty tricky to make and I am still a bit of a beginner with sleeving, I am happy enough with the results for the moment and might revisit this one in future to tidy things up (I probably had the leads between the PA's a bit too short)
I also made some tiny aquabus leads - these are basically jumpers that join the three PA2's and the Aquaero, they're short and simple!
The finished result is reasonably neat. I quite like the twist effect you naturally get with the short molex spans, if I redo the cables at any time I might play a bit more with that.
Finally to match the case I have black faceplates for both the Aquaero and PA2's
One thing that puzzles me though is why Aquacomputer don't supply some black countersunk screws with these really nice faceplates (basically you are expected to re-use the standard silver ones)
The pack of screws and fixing parts for the PA2 bay panel is actually quite extensive (but with no instructions) I'd rather have had less mounting posts, washers etc and have some matching screws instead - Anyway after some time searching around I ended up buying 20 of these black ones from on an online radio controlled car specialist, in my opinion they give a better finish than re-using the silver ones would against a black powder coated case like the M8.
Around the back the cable is routed around the access hole where the front panel switches are
The cable is neatly routed into the AX1200 - I have a plan of how I will route most of the other cables - its now really a question of if I can do it all with my poor sleeving and wiring skills. I am purposely leaving the more visible stuff until later in the build in the hope that some practice and experience will improve the results.
Eventually I might replace the cable tie bases with some lovely MDPC-X cable clips, but to do that would mean firstly finishing the build completely to see where to place them and which ones are needed, and then a complete tear down of the system to drill holes.Edited by alstorm - 12/21/11 at 2:45pm