Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › PC Piracy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Piracy - Page 8  

Poll Results: Do you pirate?

 
  • 5% (5)
    Yes, I'll never pay!
  • 22% (19)
    No, piracy is bad and should be done away with!
  • 52% (44)
    Yes, Im not spending 60$ to see if I like a game or not. Will buy it if I like it.
  • 19% (16)
    Other?
84 Total Votes  
post #71 of 86
The only game I ever "had without buying" was Fallout 3. After a good 10 hours or so of gameplay I bought the GOTY edition right away.

Whats the big deal? Make some demos and people will get to see the game without pirating. If its any good they will buy it.

I think its just a poor excuse to make them console only games so they have less time and money spent on porting the game. A 12 year old could hack an xbox and burn the .iso files to a dvd.
post #72 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z32 View Post

I am hoping developers realize that the inconvenience of some types of DRM make purchasing the game look like a mistake. I am afraid of running out of activations on many of my software because of being a system builder, and re-installing windows several times.

Steam FTW... PC FTW...
That said, i'm sure as hell not paying $50 for a full priced PC title unless it's REALLY designed for PC.

I know exactly what you mean, I have a copy of Warhead on my steam that has run out of activations. I can't be bothered to call EA to beg for more activations. When that happened, I said to myself that I wont buy Crysis 2 and I haven't, don't even care for it.

They just lost me as a customer due to their stupid activation limitation DRM. And if Mass Effect 3 requires Origin I will NOT buy it.
post #73 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILNOK View Post

If you got it without paying for it you stole it, plain and simple. You can call it piracy or hopscotch or whatever you want. It is still stealing. Your trying to make piracy out as legitimate way to obtain a game and it isn't. No matter how you try to twist and turn it. rolleyes.gif

What You consider stealing may not be what someone else considers it to be. Whats your opinion on giveaways on sites like this one. Where someone else gives an item they bought to you? Is that stealing? You didn't pay for it, so it must be stealing.

No matter how people look at piracy I think of it as free advertising. I have bought numerous games because I downloaded them and decided that they were worth my money.
Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time even considering them. Thus they still wouldn't have gotten my money pirated or not.
Gaming System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k - 4.2GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H EVGA gtx 960 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+ 12GB 1600 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Gateway HD2200 2x Acer G235H Corsair TX750w Coolermaster HAF 912 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Gaming System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k - 4.2GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H EVGA gtx 960 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+ 12GB 1600 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
Gateway HD2200 2x Acer G235H Corsair TX750w Coolermaster HAF 912 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
post #74 of 86
Piracy is just bad and should not be done. Even if you're downloading just to demo, its still a bad choice. When devs/publishers look at torrent downloads of their games they don't think "I wonder how many people only downloaded just to demo". They assume that its a bunch of cheap losers pirating for the fun of it. Which in turn influences their decision on bringing their game to the PC platform. I understand that some people just want to demo the game before they buy it. And it is the fault of the developers and publishers for not releasing a demo. However, they don't understand that you want demo the game and will just think that you didn't want to pay.

PIRACY FTL!!!!!!!
What's going on.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz ASUS P8Z77-V PRO EVGA GTX 670 2gb 8gb of DDR3 G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD w/ 250gb HDD Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit Shimian 27" 2560x1440p DELL 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 watt Antec 1200 Full Tower Logitech G400 Blue colored 
  hide details  
What's going on.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz ASUS P8Z77-V PRO EVGA GTX 670 2gb 8gb of DDR3 G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD w/ 250gb HDD Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit Shimian 27" 2560x1440p DELL 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 watt Antec 1200 Full Tower Logitech G400 Blue colored 
  hide details  
post #75 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkatral View Post

Haha I thought I was the only one who did this. thumb.gif

lol, I am sure if everyone knew how easy it was to not have to put the disc in the tray...oh wait that kinda gets blocked by the fact that console gamers have to do that every time. rolleyes.gif sorry

Anyway,
My stance is simple. Every properly founded business big or small will put it into their budget to account for shrink (Shrink is theft or loss of good to be sold)
I do not wish to hear some big shot developer cry about how 95% of the PC community will steal their game. First off...I doubt even 95% of the pc gaming community has even heard of warez. Let alone figure out the simple method of acquiring said merchandise without a price tag.

Listen, It is a lot easier for people to steel something over the Internet (And feel no accountability) than to walk into a store and shop lift or forbid...hold up the store owner for cash.

Put it into perspective, how many times have you had to get angry over some troll or Internet tough guy talking smack...where in real life he would just fall in line and not say a word. In this digital age I see things escalating and all the super social networking hype IMO has not really brought us closer together, but has brought us to or is bringing us to a world like the movie Surrogates.

Without accountability things are just not worth it.

That goes for the consumer and goes double for the big shot developer/Publishers. (IE: CoD)

Now, what would you say if I told you Piracy is what keeps Microsoft on top of the OS market?

I am absolutely crazy right?

Nope. Actually if it weren't for the ability to pirate the Windows OS so easily they may have slipped a heck of a lot further with their release of windows 7 from the Top of the ladder.

Think of it this way.

Those people who stole vista and windows 7. They are using windows instead of say a Linux distro or MAC OS. Microsoft is not benefiting financially from this issue, but they sure are benefiting from the outcome. They remain as the number one contender still in the 90% range for saturation. Due to the fact that people can run their Next, Next Finish OS, choosing that over taking the time to learn how to do things another way. We all are reluctant to change, but you could ask anyone who pirates if they had NO CHOICE but to buy the product or find something else....If the product is not worth the price with the frequency in which a new product comes out to replace it...sure they are going to learn how to use Linux or something else.

If I wanted all the headaches, I would run Cedega or Wine to play games. (These headaches may not apply to all, but I am no Linux Guru)

If I was absolutely hurting for resources, I would build my game servers on Linux.

just my $0.02

and...I realize I started this post with my stance is simple...I guess it did not turn out that way.
Edited by NitroNarcosis - 11/28/11 at 1:35pm
post #76 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILNOK View Post

If you got it without paying for it you stole it, plain and simple. You can call it piracy or hopscotch or whatever you want. It is still stealing. Your trying to make piracy out as legitimate way to obtain a game and it isn't. No matter how you try to twist and turn it. rolleyes.gif

What You consider stealing may not be what someone else considers it to be. Whats your opinion on giveaways on sites like this one. Where someone else gives an item they bought to you? Is that stealing? You didn't pay for it, so it must be stealing.

No matter how people look at piracy I think of it as free advertising. I have bought numerous games because I downloaded them and decided that they were worth my money.
Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time even considering them. Thus they still wouldn't have gotten my money pirated or not.

Are you seriously comparing someone giving away a game code that hasn't been used was obtained legitimately to piracy?The giveaways you are talking about are codes that haven't been used and aren't tied to someones account. Just like gifting a game to a steam friend. Legitimate and allowed. Not sure if you are just trying to be a troll or you really don't know the difference.
post #77 of 86
lack of demo's for games is the only thing really that makes me consider it. everyone needs to try before they buy unless they have more money than sense...
post #78 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by patlefort View Post

Do you know how much my internet/tv/phone cost per month? 150 canadian $. That's 3 AAA title per months. Maybe they should stop pirating my money each month while putting more and more limits and increasing cost from their almost monopoly?


+1

Prices are always increasing but my wages seem to stay the same. The way I look at it is that these corporations are rich beyond what I could ever imagine. Are they really going to miss out on the copies that people are pirating? How many companies have gone out of business because of pirating? I think most consumers legitimately pay and if a game is garbage well - they weren't going to make much off of it anyway.

Game devs keep coming out with titles and charging ridiculous amounts - all it is, is greed - on both ends.
Obsidian
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Z68X-UD5-B3 Sapphire 6970 G.Skill 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Samsung F3 Something cheap Swftech Apogee HD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK FC-6970V2 MCP 355 XSPC EX360 Windows 7  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Samsung XL2370 OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Corsair Obsidian 800D Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Obsidian
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Z68X-UD5-B3 Sapphire 6970 G.Skill 2x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Samsung F3 Something cheap Swftech Apogee HD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK FC-6970V2 MCP 355 XSPC EX360 Windows 7  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Samsung XL2370 OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Corsair Obsidian 800D Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
post #79 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNarcosis View Post

lol, I am sure if everyone knew how easy it was to not have to put the disc in the tray...oh wait that kinda gets blocked by the fact that console gamers have to do that every time. rolleyes.gif sorry
Anyway,
My stance is simple. *snip*
Despite your case regarding Microsoft, the same can not be said for games. Games do not have a market share per say. Sure, lets say X pirating COD will reduce the chance of X playing BF3 but that's not important. OSes are pretty much one or the other (unless you dual boot hence the 'pretty much') and if X pirates Windows 7 chances are X won't use OSX.

However, I do agree with the accountability factor; people typically are more confident and aggressive on the internet; in fact in my experience the most aggressive/confident people on the internet are the least aggressive/confident people in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post

What You consider stealing may not be what someone else considers it to be. Whats your opinion on giveaways on sites like this one. Where someone else gives an item they bought to you? Is that stealing? You didn't pay for it, so it must be stealing.
No matter how people look at piracy I think of it as free advertising. I have bought numerous games because I downloaded them and decided that they were worth my money.
Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time even considering them. Thus they still wouldn't have gotten my money pirated or not.
Right, lets set this straight.
Piracy = A file/serial/whatever is copied, both parties have the same file, neither party suffers a consequence from the other party using that software.
Giveaway = A file/serial/whatever is transferred, the giver loses the file/serial/whatever and the receiver receives the file/serial/whatever.
And more importantly, in piracy the developer is not paid per party using it, more of a one off (i.e. Bethesda gets $60 from one copy being sold, yet two people have the game). In giveaways, the developer is paid per party (using the same example, Bethesda gets $60 from one copy being sold and only one person has the game).
I'm unsure what your trying to suggest Quesenek. This is a really poor argument your presenting me with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakel2 View Post

+1
Prices are always increasing but my wages seem to stay the same. The way I look at it is that these corporations are rich beyond what I could ever imagine. Are they really going to miss out on the copies that people are pirating? How many companies have gone out of business because of pirating? I think most consumers legitimately pay and if a game is garbage well - they weren't going to make much off of it anyway.
Game devs keep coming out with titles and charging ridiculous amounts - all it is, is greed - on both ends.

Actually, game titles haven't increased much in price, or at least as far as I know. I can remember getting NFS: Most Wanted roughly at launch and paying ~£30 for it. Most modern releases (with a bit of shopping around) cost £25-£30. Not to mention, Steam Sales make games much more affordable, with prices that wouldn't have been possible pre-download (e.g. LIMBO, cost me £1.99, whereas shipping + manufacturing would have probably cost that much alone).
Edited by 5867dude - 11/28/11 at 2:18pm
The Budget Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ Stock Gigabyte M720-US3 Asus EAH6850 DirectCU @ 920/1150 Stock Volts. 4GB DDR2 800Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Acer V223w (1680x1050) Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Corsair CX400 
Mouse
Logitech G400 
  hide details  
The Budget Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ Stock Gigabyte M720-US3 Asus EAH6850 DirectCU @ 920/1150 Stock Volts. 4GB DDR2 800Mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Acer V223w (1680x1050) Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Corsair CX400 
Mouse
Logitech G400 
  hide details  
post #80 of 86
Game prices haven't gone up, but the quality have gone down, at least for the PC. I don't think 10$ or less games are very much affected by this, it's mostly the 50$+ games.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › PC Piracy