Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › This might be offtopic but, plexiglass tips?? anyone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This might be offtopic but, plexiglass tips?? anyone

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I would like to build my own reservoir using Lexan or Plexi from my local home depot. Would any of you with any experience be able to recommend a good method or guide to building with this material? I would like tips on cutting it as straight as possible.

I am going to eventually try and build some bubble tubes for a cool effect also but I need to practice on building a water coolant res for my caselabs TH10 case first.

Many thanks and if this is not the appropriate location for this topic I sincerely apologize.
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
6 Core Battle Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7-3930K Asus Rampage IV Extreme Powercolor Radeon HD 6990 LCS Edition Diamond Radeon HD 6990 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3-1600 32GB Samsung HD103SJ Crucial M4 60GB SSD Corsair Force3 120GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom build water cooling loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus Pro 24" Pro-IPS 16:10 x 3 in eyefinity Razer Black Widow Ultimate Cherry Blue switches 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX-1200 GPU PSU and Antec True Power New Caselabs TH10 Razer Deathadder 1800dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
2 best methods I have found.

Tape on both sides where you cut will be (helps prevent splintering)

if it is thin enough use a straight edge and score it multiple times with a razor blade or knife. It should then just snap cleanly along the line

for the bigger stuff a miter saw (thinner blade the better) make sure to tape once again and slowly easy through the cut
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 EVGA P55 SLI GTX 480 8gb Mushkin DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ agility 120gb Hyper 212 Win 7 Pro x64 PX 2710MW 
PowerCase
Silverstone ST75F-P 750W CM 692 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 EVGA P55 SLI GTX 480 8gb Mushkin DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ agility 120gb Hyper 212 Win 7 Pro x64 PX 2710MW 
PowerCase
Silverstone ST75F-P 750W CM 692 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Take a look at my ex-res (Swiftech Micro Res). After several months of usage, brownish stain developed at joints. Up to this date, I have found no explanation. I suspect the coolant (Propylene Glycol based) was reacting with the glue used for joining.
450

If you will use pure distilled water, I suppose this is not a concern.
However, if you plan to use Propylene Glycol/water mixture, choose the type of glue carefully. (And I do not know what type of glue would/would not react with propylene glycol)
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire View Post

Take a look at my ex-res (Swiftech Micro Res). After several months of usage, brownish stain developed at joints. Up to this date, I have found no explanation. I suspect the coolant (Propylene Glycol based) was reacting with the glue used for joining.
450
If you will use pure distilled water, I suppose this is not a concern.
However, if you plan to use Propylene Glycol/water mixture, choose the type of glue carefully. (And I do not know what type of glue would/would not react with propylene glycol)

the joint is actually acrylic through and through, the solvent they used to, for a lack of a better word i'll use "weld", the acrylic pieces together evaporates relatively quickly after you allow it to cure, which you can bet swiftech would have done, that there actually looks like a manufacturing defect, like a polished or unclean edge not letting the solvent into the pores to melt it onto the other piece letting residue settle into the not completely bonded sections, since it's not leaking that's the only way it could "react" to the seem on the outside
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebadlemonade View Post

the joint is actually acrylic through and through, the solvent they used to, for a lack of a better word i'll use "weld", the acrylic pieces together evaporates relatively quickly after you allow it to cure, which you can bet swiftech would have done, that there actually looks like a manufacturing defect, like a polished or unclean edge not letting the solvent into the pores to melt it onto the other piece letting residue settle into the not completely bonded sections, since it's not leaking that's the only way it could "react" to the seem on the outside

I think I understand what you are saying but then only partially. Your one big sentence is just too long for me to comprehend.

Would you mind rephrasing? I will even give you a rep when you actually use shorter sentences.biggrin.gif

I wonder how did stains at A and B get developed as they did not come into direct contact with the coolant. Coolant vapour perhaps?
post #6 of 11
I cut plexi using a circular saw or table saw with the blade mounted backwards. I don't tape it like the above poster, but that's only because the stuff I've bought in the past has an adhesive sheet already on both sides. I do all of my cutting first and don't take the sheet off until the last possible step in the assembly process.

Normally, as the blade spins the point of the blade strikes the surface; by flipping the saw blade around, the blades "brush" the surface, a gentler method that helps avoid chipping and splintering.

Also the type of blade matters. The more teeth per inch the better. (ie, many small teeth rather than fewer, larger teeth.) I use a plywood sawblade. Very good results with zero melting issues, gives a nice smooth edge.

Use an edge guide or make a basic jig to get straight, clean cuts. Just drawing a line and trying to "trace" it will give you lackluster results.

If you want a glazed edge, a quick pass or two with a benzene torch along the edge will make it nice and slick.
Edited by Mjolnir - 11/29/11 at 8:22pm
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire View Post

I think I understand what you are saying but then only partially. Your one big sentence is just too long for me to comprehend.
Would you mind rephrasing? I will even give you a rep when you actually use shorter sentences.biggrin.gif
I wonder how did stains at A and B get developed as they did not come into direct contact with the coolant. Coolant vapour perhaps?

sorry i have dyslexia so, yea. . .

the bonded joints of any acrylic res are pretty much exclusively acrylic, since the solvent they use to "weld" the acrylic pieces together evaporates almost completely during the curing process.
the staining looks like they used a polished and/or dirty section since the solvent can't penetrate the pores to melt the acrylic, so it can't bond fully, leaving sections unbonded letting residue settle in those section.
either the residue was already there and cause the joints to not bond fully and it reacted with air causing the discoloration, or it settled in those defects in the joints were not bonding fully

properly bonded acrylic is seamless only letting solvents through the joints since they are slightly weaker there
Edited by somebadlemonade - 11/29/11 at 8:29pm
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Also, use a power saw on low speed when cutting, or it will melt rather than cut cleanly. Flame polish the edges by waving a torch past it. Practice on scrap first.

Edges must be perfectly mated for the solvent-weld to take. Caulk would only help if applied on the inside.

—John
Mercury
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition MSI 890FXA-GD70 GeForce GTX 560 GeForce GT 430 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB PC3-12800 OCZ Vertex EX2 ST33006 51AS Addonics HPM-XA System Version Hardware RAID 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
ST2000DL003 WD25EZRS Asus BW-12B1ST Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 etc. original "Das Keyboard" Seasonic X-Series 650 W Xigmatek Elysium 
MouseAudio
Kensington Trackball X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
Mercury
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition MSI 890FXA-GD70 GeForce GTX 560 GeForce GT 430 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB PC3-12800 OCZ Vertex EX2 ST33006 51AS Addonics HPM-XA System Version Hardware RAID 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
ST2000DL003 WD25EZRS Asus BW-12B1ST Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2711 etc. original "Das Keyboard" Seasonic X-Series 650 W Xigmatek Elysium 
MouseAudio
Kensington Trackball X-Fi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebadlemonade View Post

sorry i have dyslexia so, yea. . .
the bonded joints of any acrylic res are pretty much exclusively acrylic, since the solvent they use to "weld" the acrylic pieces together evaporates almost completely during the curing process.
the staining looks like they used a polished and/or dirty section since the solvent can't penetrate the pores to melt the acrylic, so it can't bond fully, leaving sections unbonded letting residue settle in those section.
either the residue was already there and cause the joints to not bond fully and it reacted with air causing the discoloration, or it settled in those defects in the joints were not bonding fully
properly bonded acrylic is seamless only letting solvents through the joints since they are slightly weaker there

Thank you for your taking a shot at explaining the phenomena. (+rep)

However, I am not fully satisfied.

If the discoloration is due to a certain reaction with air, stains at A and B can be explained easily. But then, stains C cannot be explained as it is always submerged under coolant and has no direct contact with air.

If the discoloration is due to a reaction with coolant, then stains A and B cannot be explained.

If the brownish residue was not 'born' at those locations but was carried around by the coolant and settled in those tiny crevices (caused by non bonding), then stains A and B cannot be explained as those sections have no direct contact with coolant.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire View Post

But then, stains C cannot be explained as it is always submerged under coolant and has no direct contact with air.
If the discoloration is due to a reaction with coolant, then stains A and B cannot be explained.
If the brownish residue was not 'born' at those locations but was carried around by the coolant and settled in those tiny crevices (caused by non bonding), then stains A and B cannot be explained as those sections have no direct contact with coolant.

how do things made of iron or steel rust under water? rusting is oxidation after all. . . you cannot eliminate the air content in a liquid, it's an impossibility, since the liquid is always moving there is always a possibility for aeration(the introduction of a gas, in this case basic air, into a liquid, in this case, a propylene glycol mixture with water i'm going to guess, which is more viscous than just water, making it hard for air to separate from the liquid. . .

<_< yes i know i'm a nerd for liking physics and chemistry, but it comes it handy so damn often
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › This might be offtopic but, plexiglass tips?? anyone