11/4/13 - UPDATE
Not really getting anymore love in this thread
I hope you guys enjoy looking at the pictures at least.
Well, I have a pretty big update here. The Narada is completely overhauled from what it was before, I merged my two rigs together, Nazara and Narada. So I think I will change the name to Nazarada which was actually my Star Wars TOR name lol.
Anyway, most of this update is from what happened last week to last weekend. I had received the motherboard from Newegg and man let me tell you, this board is TOP notch quality. It definitely pushed the idea in my head of getting it running early before I had ordered all the parts in
The case however was not ready for components to be installed yet. It still had a good amount of modifying to do.
Cut some aluminum and also made a new false floor, this time it being a little wider than the one I made before. I measured and cut the necessary amount out to accommodate the upright 360 rad and the fan holes for the 240. The other pieces closed the bottom that was originally cut out for the 240 rad, and the rear where the PSU had been located prior. After that I did a small mock up of how the rads would sit.
I did some airflow tests on how it'd perform running air two different directions through one radiator and it surprised me about how well it did. So the bottom fan of the 360 rad will be pulling air out of the case, and that air will be coming from the 480 rad (not pictured) that will be set sideways, pulling air in from the side and out the other side. The pull fan is there to help air not linger in the 360 rad. And the top two fans will be pushing air from the outside, in.
I had originally planned to assemble the case entirely and then powdercoating it, but a couple friends advised against it, only because they know how much further I modify things once I'm "done". So I decided to just spray paint it. I like to think I am quite skilled at it in fact
Once it was painted, I grommet-ted the edges to clean up the look.
After paint, I had decided it was finally time to disassemble Nazara and merge the two builds together as one. I was still unsure exactly about how tubing would be run, but usually I place everything in the case and figure it from there.
Here is the basic idea of how the bottom 480 will be setup; set sideways, bringing fresh air in from the side and back out on the other side, effectively exhausting warmer air that wont be directed into the case. Basically the idea Corsair got on the 900D from enthusiasts when George was asking them about how they'd like the new case to be designed. I have seen a few 800Ds have this idea implemented successfully, and it's a great idea, so I wanted to do it as well, but my take on it was also throwing in the 360 rad sideways as well. I try to be different as much as possible. Even if people dont agree with the result.
Nazara and Narada together for the last time.
Tubing is a bit hectic at the moment, only because I still need to buy the waterblock for the motherboard, another 7970, and MAYBE watercool the ram, but I plan on getting the Dominator Platinums and they look great as is.
I knew I needed to flush out the system once the tubing was all set because I had green residue inside the fittings and pumps from Narada, and the white Ice Dragon coolant residue from Nazara. And it's a good thing I did, because when I did flush out the loop with a 10:1, distilled:vinegar for about 4 hours, the liquid was a creamy green and looked liked poo lol. Once the vinegar water cycled in the system, I needed to disconnect the out from the pump and direct it in a water jug, while I poured fresh distilled water into the reservoir. This took about an hour and 4 gallons to completely flush out the creamy green vinegar water. Once I was satisfied with the result, it was time to fill the loop up properly. I had not taken photos of this process only because it was a bit hectic.
I had decided to dilute the Ice Dragon coolant and run the white with this build, since I wanted the black and white color scheme (with a streak of orange, forcibly
) and because I thought it'd be a cool tribute to Nazara, seeing as the whole scheme for him was white and black. Yes, I am a bit attached/nostalgic about my rigs. The Ice Dragon bottle says NOT TO DILUTE because it causes settling, but I decided to call their bluff. Reading about a few other OCN members here diluting their Ice Dragon Coolant as well without any repercussions was further motivation to do it.
It took about 3 hours for the system to fully bleed, and now it's whisper quiet, mainly because I wired the yate loons to a fan controller
I also decided to run a second pump for redundancy. I took one of the MCP350's and mounted at the bottom, wired up to a fan controller. Martin Labs did a write up about running two different pumps in the same loop and he actually recommended it for a few reasons. So, trusting his word, I decided to do that rather than buy another D5 and TRY to find a place for it. Plus, the AquaComputer DDC pump tops are amazing and I love using them when I can.
And here is how it sits right now
I need to straighten the 5.25" bay a bit but other than that I am quite pleased about the outcome of this madness modifying I have done lately. Hope you guys enjoy it! Please let me know what you think, thanks for looking!