Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [emsnews] Japan: TEPCO predicts possible "china syndrome".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[emsnews] Japan: TEPCO predicts possible "china syndrome". - Page 8

post #71 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis888 View Post

I didn't see any mention of the graphite pad inside the concrete, and this leads me to believe the OP's article(s) are just fear mongering to attract viewers and make more money from advertising. It looks like it's based on false assumptions and basically says "IF this happens, then DOOM . . . but we're going to focus more on the DOOM than on the IF because our readers don't know that what we're describing can't really happen."

What are you going on about? Can't happen..... care to explain why it can't happen?

http://hawaiinewsdaily.com/2011/03/when-the-fukushima-meltdown-hits-groundwater/
post #72 of 242
Quote:
That wasn't a plant explosion. That was TN's horrible environmental laws at work when lake-sized retention pool gave way.

Not an explosion but a pretty bad example of a fossil unit destroying the surrounding area, baically what you were talking about in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

What are you going on about? Can't happen..... care to explain why it can't happen?
http://hawaiinewsdaily.com/2011/03/when-the-fukushima-meltdown-hits-groundwater/

That article is from right after this whole mess started and the fuel was hot, everything right now points to it being cool (relative term, <212 F). The fuel still has 6+ feet of concrete to go through which is not going to happen if its cooled.

And willis Im not sure all of the reactor designs have a graphite (or other moderator) pad below the reactor. I know some of the new designs do but not sure about the older designs.
Shrinkage
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
Shrinkage
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
post #73 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis888 View Post

I didn't see any mention of the graphite pad inside the concrete, and this leads me to believe the OP's article(s) are just fear mongering to attract viewers and make more money from advertising. It looks like it's based on false assumptions and basically says "IF this happens, then DOOM . . . but we're going to focus more on the DOOM than on the IF because our readers don't know that what we're describing can't really happen."


The Reactors at Fukushima do not have Graphite in them or under them...

Google is your Friend.

Perhaps the absence of this Graphite is the reason why the article says nothing about it. Why bother, if the material was never used in the first place?
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
MOS Technology 6502B @ 1.79mhz! Atari XL Series 8bit w/ 24K ROM ANTIC/CTIA - Color Television Interface Adaptor 64K RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Atari 1050 5½ Floppy Disk Drive Atari 1050 5½ Floppy Disk Drive Atari 1010 Cassette Deck Tape Drive One 12" A/C Desk Fan. 
OSOSOSMonitor
DOS 3.0 on 5½ Floppy Disk!! Atari BASIC on 24k ROM!! Atari BASIC Cartridge!! Samsung 32" LCD Television 
KeyboardAudio
Built-In Television Audio! 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
MOS Technology 6502B @ 1.79mhz! Atari XL Series 8bit w/ 24K ROM ANTIC/CTIA - Color Television Interface Adaptor 64K RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Atari 1050 5½ Floppy Disk Drive Atari 1050 5½ Floppy Disk Drive Atari 1010 Cassette Deck Tape Drive One 12" A/C Desk Fan. 
OSOSOSMonitor
DOS 3.0 on 5½ Floppy Disk!! Atari BASIC on 24k ROM!! Atari BASIC Cartridge!! Samsung 32" LCD Television 
KeyboardAudio
Built-In Television Audio! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrr View Post

That article is from right after this whole mess started and the fuel was hot, everything right now points to it being cool (relative term, <212 F). The fuel still has 6+ feet of concrete to go through which is not going to happen if its cooled.
And willis Im not sure all of the reactor designs have a graphite (or other moderator) pad below the reactor. I know some of the new designs do but not sure about the older designs.
The article was posted on Dec 1st, 2011. Not sure where you got that it was from "right after this whole mess started and the fuel was hot."

Also, how do you know the fuel is cool (< 212 F)? Some workers are reporting steam coming through cracks in the ground. That would certain indicate fuel being hotter than 212F.

Also, how do you know the fuel still has 6+ feet of concrete to go through? How do you know that it hasn't already gone through the cement layer and is now in the ground?
post #75 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post

The article was posted on Dec 1st, 2011. Not sure where you got that it was from "right after this whole mess started and the fuel was hot."
I was taking about the article aweir posted which says
Quote:
When the Fukushima Meltdown Hits Groundwater
March 28, 2011
Quote:
Also, how do you know the fuel is cool (< 212 F)? Some workers are reporting steam coming through cracks in the ground. That would certain indicate fuel being hotter than 212F.
Also, how do you know the fuel still has 6+ feet of concrete to go through? How do you know that it hasn't already gone through the cement layer and is now in the ground?
[/QUOTE]

Did you even look at the 200+ page PDF in the OP? Although I cannot read Japanese I saw very few (if any) temperatures that are still above 212F. Again I could be wrong as I can't read Japanese but between articles saying that they can read cold shutdown soon and that data it seems things may be under control.

As for the amount of concrete to go through again look at the the OP PDF. It showed fuel position and something to the effect of 3+ meters to the bottom of the concrete.
Shrinkage
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
Shrinkage
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
post #76 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post

Some workers are reporting steam coming through cracks in the ground. That would certain indicate fuel being hotter than 212F.

Do you know what temperature water boils at? 100C. 212F.

Since when does steam mean that the temperature is high?
..
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T@3445MHZ 1.2V/ SB Pentium G620@0.84v ASUS M4A79XTD EVO/ ASUS P8P67 Sapphire 6870/ Club 3D 5770 2x2gb Kingston DDR3 1333mhz @ 1467mhz 7-7-7-17 
Hard DriveOSPower
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Windows 7 Home 64bit Corsair 600W 
  hide details  
Reply
..
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T@3445MHZ 1.2V/ SB Pentium G620@0.84v ASUS M4A79XTD EVO/ ASUS P8P67 Sapphire 6870/ Club 3D 5770 2x2gb Kingston DDR3 1333mhz @ 1467mhz 7-7-7-17 
Hard DriveOSPower
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Windows 7 Home 64bit Corsair 600W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrr View Post

Did you even look at the 200+ page PDF in the OP? Although I cannot read Japanese I saw very few (if any) temperatures that are still above 212F. Again I could be wrong as I can't read Japanese but between articles saying that they can read cold shutdown soon and that data it seems things may be under control.
As for the amount of concrete to go through again look at the the OP PDF. It showed fuel position and something to the effect of 3+ meters to the bottom of the concrete.
I did not look at the PDF, will have to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmaypoop View Post

Do you know what temperature water boils at? 100C. 212F.
Since when does steam mean that the temperature is high?
This makes no sense as a response to my post. I said that, since there is steam, the core must still be hotter than 212F...
post #78 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmaypoop View Post

Do you know what temperature water boils at? 100C. 212F.

Water at atmospheric pressure (sea level) boils at 100C which equals 212F.
Quote:
Since when does steam mean that the temperature is high?

See above on when water boils. There are cases where it does not boil at those temps but we will leave that alone as it seems you don't have the basics down.
Shrinkage
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
Shrinkage
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
post #79 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmaypoop View Post

Do you know what temperature water boils at? 100C. 212F.
Since when does steam mean that the temperature is high?

There will be water a different spots too, all it takes is some intense heat from under and the top surface water will boil and steam. Also 100c isn't the distinct only temperature water boils at, it changes with elevation changes.
Edited by Eagle1337 - 12/2/11 at 2:15pm
post #80 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post

Also 100c isn't the distinct only temperature water boils at, it changes with elevation changes.

Pressure changes to be exact.


Plant parameters (temp pressure ect) in english about 2/3 down the page. Shows the location of each temperature monitoring location also.
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/index-e.html
Shrinkage
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
Shrinkage
(8 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [emsnews] Japan: TEPCO predicts possible "china syndrome".