Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › [Build Log] 3930k/ Rampage IV/ GTX 580 SLI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Build Log] 3930k/ Rampage IV/ GTX 580 SLI

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Greetings!

Today starts another adventure into a new build, as I just ordered my motherboard a few hours ago. This will be my 4th build for myself. I've done countless hours of research of various parts and brands so hopefully this build goes smoothly. My main goal of this build is to run a 3 monitor gaming setup with occasional video/photo editing, since after trying a friend's setup, I was totally hooked. smile.gif This build does include 3 new monitors, as my current one consists of different size monitors that are quite old. I'm also trying some new things (SSD, SLI) as well as some serious overclocking down the road if possible.

I'm open to all suggestions/comments/etc on the parts and whether or not anything should be changed. I do have some questions of my own but I'll post those after the parts list.

Here's the current main list:

Intel Core i7 3930k
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
EVGA GTX 580 3GB x2
G.Skill RipJaw Z 32GB 1600
Corsair AX1200 PSU
CoolerMaster HAF X
Crucial M4 Sata 3 128GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black Sata 3 2TB
ASUS DVD Writer/Reader
ASUS VH238H-P Monitors x3
Corsair H100

I have another list on FrozenCPU consisting of cosmetic cables and Scythe GT fans.


My first question is of the power supply. I've used Corsair PSUs in the last two builds with no problems what so ever, but after reading recent threads, people are having problems with the 1200w. Should I look into a different brand? The new Seasonic X 1250w caught my eye as well as the CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200w. Also, if I do end up with the Corsair, seeing as it only has 6 total PCIE connectors, will a molex to PCIE adapter suffice the extra PCIE slot on the motherboard for the video cards, or is that only for 3/4 way sli?

Since this will be my first build with an SSD, I've looked at lots and read lot of forum threads on them. The Crucial M4 seems to be a favorite among the builders. Any others I should look at?

I can order the reference GTX 580 3GB and still have an amazing build. Is the Classified really a step up over the reference as well as actually finding them? Sure it's only $10 more, but it does require another PCIE cable.


I'll be on vacation next week (Orlando, can't wait!), so anything I order I won't receive until next weekend. I can wait till say Tuesday and still have the parts by the weekend if I order then.

Again, let me know what you guys think! smile.gif

Thanks!
Edited by Jayyde - 12/3/11 at 1:13am
post #2 of 14
To be quite honest, FrozenCPU cables are quite shoddy.
Why not get some quality cables? We have a artisan on OCN that does some nice cable extensions if that's what you're looking for.
Not to mention, you can choose the colors to match your board. smile.gif

http://www.overclock.net/t/1159606/lutro0-customs-fully-custom-extensions-for-sale-free-shipping-on-the-next-two-orders
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post

To be quite honest, FrozenCPU cables are quite shoddy.
Why not get some quality cables? We have a artisan on OCN that does some nice cable extensions if that's what you're looking for.
Not to mention, you can choose the colors to match your board. smile.gif
http://www.overclock.net/t/1159606/lutro0-customs-fully-custom-extensions-for-sale-free-shipping-on-the-next-two-orders

Thanks for the link! Those look to be very well done with lots of color options! thumb.gif

EDIT: Oh and your sig - Love that song smile.gif
Edited by Jayyde - 12/1/11 at 6:44pm
post #4 of 14
Unless you are planning to Tri-SLI in the future a good 850w psu is all you need. I suggest the Corsair AX850:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015

I would just go with the regular one. As having extra PCI-E cable is annoying IMO. With those in SLI there isn't really a need for you to OC that much plus unless you watercooling the Classifieds you won't be getting any 'enormous' amounts of OC gains over the regular ones. Not worth the wait or extra power cords. If anything grab the MSI GTX 580 3GB Lightning Xtreme Ed. Performance on par with the EVGA Classified, but only uses 2 x 8-pin PCI-e cable.

Yes the M4 is one of the best ones right now, that the one I will get.

No need for the Ram cooler. With all that cooling in your case its enough, you won't be OC your ram to enormous amounts anyways.

Grab a Noctua NH-D14:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

Overclocking that CPU and on that board is as easy as a couple of settings. It be a total waste for not OC that CPU at all. thumb.gif

I personally will go for a smaller case. Big full towers like the HAF X is made for water cooling. If you don't plan to water cool it might not be that good of a air cooler compared to its smaller brother the HAF 932. Remember these are only fans blowing air, if the case so darn big it won't be as efficient as smaller case blowing direct exact air onto your computer components.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213
Edited by mcc21 - 12/1/11 at 6:43pm
MCC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MSI GTX 680 Lightning Ed. Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120 gb SSD Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D  CM Storm Quick Fire  Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Sensei Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
MCC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MSI GTX 680 Lightning Ed. Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120 gb SSD Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D  CM Storm Quick Fire  Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Sensei Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 14
The AX1200 is a beast of a PSU, what have you read/heard bad about it? It will be more then enough for you rig since your going only for 2 gpus
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc21 View Post

Unless you are planning to Tri-SLI in the future a good 850w psu is all you need. I suggest the Corsair AX850:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015
I would just go with the regular one. As having extra PCI-E cable is annoying IMO. With those in SLI there isn't really a need for you to OC that much plus unless you watercooling the Classifieds you won't be getting any 'enormous' amounts of OC gains over the regular ones. Not worth the wait or extra power cords. If anything grab the MSI GTX 580 3GB Lightning Xtreme Ed. Performance on par with the EVGA Classified, but only uses 2 x 8-pin PCI-e cable.
Yes the M4 is one of the best ones right now, that the one I will get.
No need for the Ram cooler. With all that cooling in your case its enough, you won't be OC your ram to enormous amounts anyways.
Grab a Noctua NH-D14:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018
Overclocking that CPU and on that board is as easy as a couple of settings. It be a total waste for not OC that CPU at all. thumb.gif
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213

I'll look into the 850w. Haven't decided if I want to add a third video card down the road though. I was also looking at the MSI cards, but sadly they are out of stock too. frown.gif My only concern would be the way the fan setup is and how hot air can be left in the case, unlike the reference which is a blower style out the back. CPU cooling is still an on going debate, as I've used an H50 since release with no problems. I'd like to use air again but I'm not sure with the quad channel ram that the HSF won't end up hitting the ram sticks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank33 View Post

The AX1200 is a beast of a PSU, what have you read/heard bad about it? It will be more then enough for you rig since your going only for 2 gpus

I wouldn't say bad, because yes they are excellent PSUs, just quite a few people having troubles with them recently I've noticed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc21 View Post

I personally will go for a smaller case. Big full towers like the HAF X is made for water cooling. If you don't plan to water cool it might not be that good of a air cooler compared to its smaller brother the HAF 932. Remember these are only fans blowing air, if the case so darn big it won't be as efficient as smaller case blowing direct exact air onto your computer components.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213

Only real difference in terms of size is ~.5 inch in length of cases, but I see where you're coming from. There really isn't many Full Tower cases that I like, and HAF X was one of them.
Edited by Jayyde - 12/1/11 at 6:59pm
post #7 of 14
Don't worry about air begin dumped into your case. Either of the HAF case has a 200 mm fan on the side...just make it into an exhaust fan, and you will have no issues. Have the front intake fan to bring in cool air blowing onto the cards.

H100 is decent but for the price you aren't getting much more cooling degree over the H80. So I would rather grab a H80 or Antec 920 if you really want closed-loop coolers.

I really enjoy the air coolers because there isn't a pump noise to deal with.
MCC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MSI GTX 680 Lightning Ed. Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120 gb SSD Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D  CM Storm Quick Fire  Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Sensei Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
MCC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MSI GTX 680 Lightning Ed. Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120 gb SSD Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D  CM Storm Quick Fire  Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Sensei Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc21 View Post

Don't worry about air begin dumped into your case. Either of the HAF case has a 200 mm fan on the side...just make it into an exhaust fan, and you will have no issues. Have the front intake fan to bring in cool air blowing onto the cards.
H100 is decent but for the price you aren't getting much more cooling degree over the H80. So I would rather grab a H80 or Antec 920 if you really want closed-loop coolers.
I really enjoy the air coolers because there isn't a pump noise to deal with.

I gotta say, I really don't hear my computer once I put the headphones on. I'm also looking at the XSPC Rasa 720 RS240 Water Cooling kit. Seems to be an excellent intro kit for the price, which just above an H100.

Other then the CPU cooling, I'd say I'm set on this build. Between an H100, the Rasa 720, and an NH-D14 smile.gif + Rep for everyone who contributed. thumb.gif

And of course the 3930k is out of stock again...
Edited by Jayyde - 12/1/11 at 9:13pm
post #9 of 14
The RASA kit is different league on its own compared to the H100 and D14. But then you will have run a risk of spilling/leaks if you don't know what you doing. But for sure if you can manage it I go 100% RASA kit, but keep in mind there be more noise to deal with. Water cooling no matter what other says it can get noisy. The pumps in those kits aren't quiet, and some people ran into clicking/noise issues. Add another couple more fans on the radiator, it isn't going be silent.
MCC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MSI GTX 680 Lightning Ed. Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120 gb SSD Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D  CM Storm Quick Fire  Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Sensei Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
MCC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MSI GTX 680 Lightning Ed. Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120 gb SSD Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D  CM Storm Quick Fire  Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define R4 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Sensei Creative T20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 14
good choice with those 3gb cards. you might need a third one though for newer games, like crysis 2 and bf3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › [Build Log] 3930k/ Rampage IV/ GTX 580 SLI