Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Need Help Starting 2600k Overclocking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Help Starting 2600k Overclocking

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
So I just set up my 2600k build last night. I am using this motherboard and ram:

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

Gskill 1600 ddr3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&cm_mmc=BF2011_listing-_-147-_-N82E16820231428&nm_mc=BF2011_listing

So this is my first time overclocking Intel, and I am using the newish UEFI Bios. I am completely unfamiliar with specific Intel overclocking settings and this Bios. However, I have a solid understanding of the basic overclocking principles like voltage, temps, stability testing, etc.

So I have a few questions:

-My old CPU did not have an unlocked multiplier so I have no experience of using multipliers rather then FSB. Since I now have a multiplier should I just use that by itself? Or do many people use combinations of MULTI and FSB even with Intel 2500k or 2600ks?

- Right now everything is on stock. What is a really low (yet reasonable) voltage level to start at so I can move slowly up from stock speeds and voltage?

-Do I need to turn off turbo boost?

-I guess basically what are all the settings you should change right off the bat if your at stock in UEFI Bios? I am prepared to make a slow trek upwards in my voltage and speed. But I need a starting point of what settings need to be adjusted to begin with.

I will be continuing to research and try to find out everything about overclocking Intel. But right now I am just beginning and hopefully I can get some good answers to accelerate this process. Thanks for all the help!
My computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600k ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti G.skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1x 500gb 7200 rpm 1x 250gb 7200 rpm Windows Ultimate 64 bit 23'' LG Flatron W2353V Corsair 650 Watt 80 plus certified 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
My computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600k ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti G.skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1x 500gb 7200 rpm 1x 250gb 7200 rpm Windows Ultimate 64 bit 23'' LG Flatron W2353V Corsair 650 Watt 80 plus certified 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokadub View Post

So I just set up my 2600k build last night. I am using this motherboard and ram:
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792
Gskill 1600 ddr3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&cm_mmc=BF2011_listing-_-147-_-N82E16820231428&nm_mc=BF2011_listing
So this is my first time overclocking Intel, and I am using the newish UEFI Bios. I am completely unfamiliar with specific Intel overclocking settings and this Bios. However, I have a solid understanding of the basic overclocking principles like voltage, temps, stability testing, etc.
So I have a few questions:
-My old CPU did not have an unlocked multiplier so I have no experience of using multipliers rather then FSB. Since I now have a multiplier should I just use that by itself? Or do many people use combinations of MULTI and FSB even with Intel 2500k or 2600ks?
- Right now everything is on stock. What is a really low (yet reasonable) voltage level to start at so I can move slowly up from stock speeds and voltage?
-Do I need to turn off turbo boost?
-I guess basically what are all the settings you should change right off the bat if your at stock in UEFI Bios? I am prepared to make a slow trek upwards in my voltage and speed. But I need a starting point of what settings need to be adjusted to begin with.
I will be continuing to research and try to find out everything about overclocking Intel. But right now I am just beginning and hopefully I can get some good answers to accelerate this process. Thanks for all the help!

From what ive experienced, most ppl dont touch the FSB, multiplier only.

try 1.3-1.35, that should get you to about 4.5Ghz - also try using offset voltage instead of the manual voltage. (you'll have to read up on that, im not sure why you use one over the other, ive had much more success with the offset though)

turbo boost i would leave on.

as for the other settings ill let other chime in since im no where near my rig right now.

check out the sandy stable club in my sig, a lot of great ppl will be able to help you there and you'll get an idea as to what voltages will get you where. smile.gif

goodluck and enjoy the new chip biggrin.gif:thumb:
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
OK, so I am definitely liking how easy it is to overclock with a multiplier. All I have really done so far is up the multiplier from 38. I started at 39, and am going up 1 every time. So right now I am working on 44 which is 4.4 GHZ turbo boost.

I have left pretty much everything else on the default settings in the bios, except I had to reset the ram to 1600 so the timings were correct.

I did notice however that the default voltage is pretty high. So I am using the offset voltage settings with the + and - adjustments to the CPU voltage.

So now I am wondering if my results (settings) at 4.4 GHZ are typical or good/bad right now. I am at offset voltage + .015volts.

I am a little confused about the voltage settings in Intel. When I first launch my bios it says CPU 1.152volts. When I run Prime 95 it says my voltage is 1.272v in CPU-z. However my temperatures in CoreTemp is reaching 75 degrees Celsius which is causing me some concern.

-So is CPU-z an accurate voltage monitor? Or is another program better?

-Is 1.272v good for 4.4 GHZ?

-Is CoreTemp accurate for the temperatures? Or is another program better?

-Why is my temperature maxing at 75 degrees Celsius even with a voltage reading of 1.272v? Is this typical of a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus? And is this temperature even safe? I thought 72 degrees was the max?

-It sort of looks like my cpu is really good with voltage, but my CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus is not good enough?
My computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600k ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti G.skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1x 500gb 7200 rpm 1x 250gb 7200 rpm Windows Ultimate 64 bit 23'' LG Flatron W2353V Corsair 650 Watt 80 plus certified 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
My computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600k ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti G.skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1x 500gb 7200 rpm 1x 250gb 7200 rpm Windows Ultimate 64 bit 23'' LG Flatron W2353V Corsair 650 Watt 80 plus certified 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokadub View Post

OK, so I am definitely liking how easy it is to overclock with a multiplier. All I have really done so far is up the multiplier from 38. I started at 39, and am going up 1 every time. So right now I am working on 44 which is 4.4 GHZ turbo boost.
I have left pretty much everything else on the default settings in the bios, except I had to reset the ram to 1600 so the timings were correct.
I did notice however that the default voltage is pretty high. So I am using the offset voltage settings with the + and - adjustments to the CPU voltage.
So now I am wondering if my results (settings) at 4.4 GHZ are typical or good/bad right now. I am at offset voltage + .015volts.
I am a little confused about the voltage settings in Intel. When I first launch my bios it says CPU 1.152volts. When I run Prime 95 it says my voltage is 1.272v in CPU-z. However my temperatures in CoreTemp is reaching 75 degrees Celsius which is causing me some concern.
-So is CPU-z an accurate voltage monitor? Or is another program better?
-Is 1.272v good for 4.4 GHZ?
-Is CoreTemp accurate for the temperatures? Or is another program better?
-Why is my temperature maxing at 75 degrees Celsius even with a voltage reading of 1.272v? Is this typical of a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus? And is this temperature even safe? I thought 72 degrees was the max?
-It sort of looks like my cpu is really good with voltage, but my CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus is not good enough?

Its normal to see your voltage lower and increase once you run prime95. I feel like im wrong saying this but i think that the voltage you end up getting is a combo of the voltage in the bios, plus your offset and the load line calibration. (someone please correct me if im wrong, i would like to have the correct info myself)

CPU-Z pretty much what everyone uses to check their voltage so i do beleive that it is accurate.

1.272V seems pretty on par for 4.4Ghz, i needed 1.30V for 4.5Ghz

Coretemp or realtemp are 2 great programs for temperature monitoring.

75 seems kinda high for that voltage and clock and im gonna go with the Hyper 212 being the culprit. The temps your at are safe but i wouldnt push it too much further. Personally and from what ive read ppl are trying to keep their chips under 80, myself being on water, i dont like to see temps past 70.

How much tim did you apply? maybe a reseat is in order to see if thats the problem. If that doesnt work i would invest in some better cooling, you did spend like $300 for that chip, might as well spend a little more to make it last smile.gif
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I am paranoid about temperatures. I would rather be as far away from 72 degrees as possible. But it seems Prime95 is the only thing I've done so far that can get me over 72. So if I stay under 72 degrees 99.9% of the time am I 100% safe? Or would i prolongue the processor lifespan by going water and maybe my max load might be like 60 degrees or something (not sure what temps to expect).
My computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600k ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti G.skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1x 500gb 7200 rpm 1x 250gb 7200 rpm Windows Ultimate 64 bit 23'' LG Flatron W2353V Corsair 650 Watt 80 plus certified 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
My computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600k ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti G.skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1x 500gb 7200 rpm 1x 250gb 7200 rpm Windows Ultimate 64 bit 23'' LG Flatron W2353V Corsair 650 Watt 80 plus certified 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
most people will say anything under 80*c while stress testing is fine, are you on the stock air cooler?
left the red team
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series  Mushkin blackline 9-11-9-27 ddr32000 @1866.. 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin  WD raptor 300gb 10k + Barracuda 1tb samsung blu-ray XSPC and other watercooling bits 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
7 ultimate 64bit razer blackwidow ultimate  thermaltake 850watt modular cooler master cm690II advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudio
razer deathadder raser gaming mouse pad klipsch pro media 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
left the red team
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2700k P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series  Mushkin blackline 9-11-9-27 ddr32000 @1866.. 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin  WD raptor 300gb 10k + Barracuda 1tb samsung blu-ray XSPC and other watercooling bits 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
7 ultimate 64bit razer blackwidow ultimate  thermaltake 850watt modular cooler master cm690II advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudio
razer deathadder raser gaming mouse pad klipsch pro media 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Hmm, Im at 4.6Ghz and I use hyper 212+ also. With AS5. 1 Hour prime highest temp 67c. Try to disable HT unless u really need it, I set core Voltage to 1.285.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
I am also using the hyper 212+, but with the stock thermal paste. Does AS5 perform much better then the stock paste?

I am at 4.4GHZ with 1.272v according to CPU-z when I run Prime95. I do although have HT enabled.

Do you think HT could account for the 8 degree max temperature difference we are seeing?

I am starting to wonder if I may have applied a bit to much thermal paste, although it seemed fine at the time.

Also how good is your case fan set up? I have the Cooler Master HAF 912, but only with the 2 stock fans in it. Although my ambients aren't too high so I am not sure if this is the cause of any temperature differences at load.
My computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600k ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti G.skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1x 500gb 7200 rpm 1x 250gb 7200 rpm Windows Ultimate 64 bit 23'' LG Flatron W2353V Corsair 650 Watt 80 plus certified 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
My computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600k ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti G.skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1x 500gb 7200 rpm 1x 250gb 7200 rpm Windows Ultimate 64 bit 23'' LG Flatron W2353V Corsair 650 Watt 80 plus certified 
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Sometimes with hyperthreading disabled it reduces the temps as well as the voltage needed to achieve a certain clock. With hyperthreading off you will be in the high 60s, but it depends if you need it or not smile.gif
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokadub View Post

I am also using the hyper 212+, but with the stock thermal paste. Does AS5 perform much better then the stock paste?
I am at 4.4GHZ with 1.272v according to CPU-z when I run Prime95. I do although have HT enabled.
Do you think HT could account for the 8 degree max temperature difference we are seeing?
I am starting to wonder if I may have applied a bit to much thermal paste, although it seemed fine at the time.
Also how good is your case fan set up? I have the Cooler Master HAF 912, but only with the 2 stock fans in it. Although my ambients aren't too high so I am not sure if this is the cause of any temperature differences at load.

Your temps seem high to me for your voltage (although maybe you just live in a warmer climate). A few possibilities there:

1. Yes, AS5 will help drop your temps, but often not significantly vs. stock paste.
2. If your paste didn't apply evenly, this could be part of the problem.
3. If there's too much paste, this could be part of the problem.
4. Yes, a different heatsink is likely to provide better cooling.
5. Case air flow can certainly affect heat. Make sure your fans are helping move air through your case and not fighting.
New Computer
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700k 3.5Ghz stock, clocked at 5Ghz ASRock Z68 Professional7 Gen3 XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 (DOA -- RMA) 2xG.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 3 – MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-240G 2xSeagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM Corsair H100 
  hide details  
Reply
New Computer
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700k 3.5Ghz stock, clocked at 5Ghz ASRock Z68 Professional7 Gen3 XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 (DOA -- RMA) 2xG.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 3 – MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-240G 2xSeagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM Corsair H100 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Need Help Starting 2600k Overclocking