Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Sean's SSD Buyers Guide & Information Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sean's SSD Buyers Guide & Information Thread - Page 42

post #411 of 2376
If you have a reliable SSD, and still have space on it, you basically don't need to worry! smile.gif And the M4 is still a great drive, it's just that better value HAS moved into town, as it always does with tech... thumb.gif
post #412 of 2376
I have read pages and pages of threads on SSD's and I'm still I'm not up to speed.
Yea, I'm slow. Give me a day or two or a year to catch up. Lol!

Currently I have a 500 gig drive as my boot drive listed in my sig with 35 gigs used. The only other program I would install is Adobe CS3 Master Collection but only parts of it.

It looks like a 64gig SSD will fill my needs for an OS drive. All of my data is stored on a second HDD. I'm not opposed to purchasing a 128 gig SSD though.

Both drives are imaged using True Image to an external USB HDD as restoring an image is faster than re-installing windows and software independently.


Questions I have:

Can imaging software like True Image or Norton's Ghost image SSD's?
I have read about windows imaging feature and it seems that it only images drivers from your os drive and not the entire drive.

Are the 128 gig SSD drives faster than the 64 gig?

Would anyone care to suggest a drive for me?

Also a 3.5" to 2.5" drive bracket for the suggested drive. I'm reading on NewEgg where holes don't line up correctly for some purchaser's.


Thanks!
Edited by Turtley - 4/1/12 at 5:35am
Windy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 XFX Radeon R9 380 G.Skill Sniper 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper 1600 128GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 256GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" HP DVD 270 LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium Dell ST2220L - 23" LED Dell Standard Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX Core Edition PRO550W Antec 300 Dell Optical Realtek High Definition Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Windy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 XFX Radeon R9 380 G.Skill Sniper 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper 1600 128GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 256GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" HP DVD 270 LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium Dell ST2220L - 23" LED Dell Standard Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX Core Edition PRO550W Antec 300 Dell Optical Realtek High Definition Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #413 of 2376
Is Plextor a Chinese-owned company? I'm having second thoughts regarding their warranty based on my experience with other Chinese-owned companies.
post #414 of 2376
Samsung 830 512gb is up to $780 on newegg now o_O - the hell?

I'd like to grab the Plextor M3 Pro because of the 5yr warranty but who knows how long they will be out of stock ph34r-smiley.gif
Edited by jtheby - 4/1/12 at 9:37am
 
Murc
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930k ASUS Sabertooth x79 EVGA GTX 680 8x4Gb Samsung DDR3 1600 1.35V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830  Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 7 Professional 64bit HP ZR24w BenQ XL2420TX 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
DasKeyboard Ultimate SeaSonic 860w Platinum Bitfenix Shinobi XL Logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
SteelSeries QcK PreSonus Monitor Station JBL LSR2325P (Pair) Sennheiser HD595 
Other
Beyerdynamic DT770 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 P6T DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 OCZ  
RAMRAMRAMRAM
OCZ  OCZ  OCZ  OCZ  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ  OCZ Agility 2 Western Digital Raptor ASUS BW-12B1ST 
OSMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 64bit Professional HP ZR24w Samsung SyncMaster 2333 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Murc
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930k ASUS Sabertooth x79 EVGA GTX 680 8x4Gb Samsung DDR3 1600 1.35V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 830  Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 7 Professional 64bit HP ZR24w BenQ XL2420TX 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
DasKeyboard Ultimate SeaSonic 860w Platinum Bitfenix Shinobi XL Logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
SteelSeries QcK PreSonus Monitor Station JBL LSR2325P (Pair) Sennheiser HD595 
Other
Beyerdynamic DT770 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 P6T DELUXE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 OCZ  
RAMRAMRAMRAM
OCZ  OCZ  OCZ  OCZ  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ  OCZ Agility 2 Western Digital Raptor ASUS BW-12B1ST 
OSMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 64bit Professional HP ZR24w Samsung SyncMaster 2333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #415 of 2376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtley View Post

I have read pages and pages of threads on SSD's and I'm still I'm not up to speed.
Yea, I'm slow. Give me a day or two or a year to catch up. Lol!

Currently I have a 500 gig drive as my boot drive listed in my sig with 35 gigs used. The only other program I would install is Adobe CS3 Master Collection but only parts of it.

It looks like a 64gig SSD will fill my needs for an OS drive. All of my data is stored on a second HDD. I'm not opposed to purchasing a 128 gig SSD though.

Both drives are imaged using True Image to an external USB HDD as restoring an image is faster than re-installing windows and software independently.


Questions I have:

Can imaging software like True Image or Norton's Ghost image SSD's?
Yes
Quote:
I have read about windows imaging feature and it seems that it only images drivers from your os drive and not the entire drive.
What? No I use it all the time, it creates a system image just like the other programs.
Quote:
Are the 128 gig SSD drives faster than the 64 gig?
Usually in writes and usually have 2x the life span.
Quote:
Would anyone care to suggest a drive for me?
Cheapest from these like in the Recommended SSD section lol
  • Crucial M4
  • Corsair Performance Pro
  • Intel 510/520
  • Plextor M3/M3 Pro
  • Samsung 830
Quote:
Also a 3.5" to 2.5" drive bracket for the suggested drive. I'm reading on NewEgg where holes don't line up correctly for some purchaser's.

Any will do, you really don't even need one at all since you can put it where ever you want in your case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994085
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Is Plextor a Chinese-owned company? I'm having second thoughts regarding their warranty based on my experience with other Chinese-owned companies.
ok so? You already have M4s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtheby View Post

Samsung 830 512gb is up to $780 on newegg now o_O - the hell?

I'd like to grab the Plextor M3 Pro because of the 5yr warranty but who knows how long they will be out of stock ph34r-smiley.gif

LOL, check Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-Series-MZ-7PC512B-Internal-2-5-Inch/dp/B0077CR6B0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333308587&sr=8-3
post #416 of 2376
Sean,

Good info! Thank you!

The drive you listed are they in order of preference?

I've never tried the windows image since I always used True Image


Hmmm, still hard to choose one. Lol!

I may go with the Intel 520.

Thanks again!
Windy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 XFX Radeon R9 380 G.Skill Sniper 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper 1600 128GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 256GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" HP DVD 270 LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium Dell ST2220L - 23" LED Dell Standard Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX Core Edition PRO550W Antec 300 Dell Optical Realtek High Definition Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Windy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 XFX Radeon R9 380 G.Skill Sniper 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper 1600 128GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 256GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" HP DVD 270 LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium Dell ST2220L - 23" LED Dell Standard Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX Core Edition PRO550W Antec 300 Dell Optical Realtek High Definition Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #417 of 2376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtley View Post

Sean,

Good info! Thank you!

The drive you listed are they in order of preference?
Nah, just alphabetically by brand name.
Quote:
I've never tried the windows image since I always used True Image
since you have True Image you should be set.
Quote:
Hmmm, still hard to choose one. Lol!

I may go with the Intel 520.

Thanks again!
Should do you good. smile.gif
post #418 of 2376
I guess that a SSD is seen by image software like True Image is any other HDD then.

My version of True Image is a few years old but no problem of getting a newer version either.


Thanks again.
Windy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 XFX Radeon R9 380 G.Skill Sniper 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper 1600 128GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 256GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" HP DVD 270 LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium Dell ST2220L - 23" LED Dell Standard Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX Core Edition PRO550W Antec 300 Dell Optical Realtek High Definition Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Windy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 XFX Radeon R9 380 G.Skill Sniper 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Sniper 1600 128GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 256GB Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" HP DVD 270 LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium Dell ST2220L - 23" LED Dell Standard Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
XFX Core Edition PRO550W Antec 300 Dell Optical Realtek High Definition Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #419 of 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

ok so? You already have M4s

Well, in case I buy SSDs in the future I want to know what I'm buying especially after-sales support, yes?
post #420 of 2376
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

ok so? You already have M4s

Well, in case I buy SSDs in the future I want to know what I'm buying especially after-sales support, yes?

Wait till you are going to buy it lol. And I don't know how warranty service is for you since you are not in America, but in here I am sure I will have no issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Sean's SSD Buyers Guide & Information Thread