Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [REG-HARDWARE] Swiss insist file-sharers don't hurt copyright holders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REG-HARDWARE] Swiss insist file-sharers don't hurt copyright holders - Page 2

post #11 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzorkX View Post

[
I think we need to make it legal world wide. It does NOT hurt the industry.

Put your self in their shoes. You just spent the last few years making a game or a movie, It's legal to download it without having to pay for it, everyone then downloads it without paying. Therefore you don't get any money to make the next game or movie. Which means it does hurt the industry.
post #12 of 284
Its officially illegal in the US, but there is absolutely nothing they can do to enforce it here. They mostly go after the ones who pirate and create copies to sell for $$$. And IMO those are the ones they should be going after instead of the small guy who just wants to play a game they can't afford.

If one looks at the profits for the gaming industry, they are by no means suffering in the slightest, even during these hard economic times they are getting record sales on some games.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1080ti (3 fans) Adata AX4U300038G16-DRG 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Trion 480GB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Turbo Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200w Gold 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70F 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1080ti (3 fans) Adata AX4U300038G16-DRG 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Trion 480GB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Turbo Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200w Gold 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosblade02 View Post

Its officially illegal in the US, but there is absolutely nothing they can do to enforce it here. They mostly go after the ones who pirate and create copies to sell for $$$. And IMO those are the ones they should be going after instead of the small guy who just wants to play a game they can't afford.
If one looks at the profits for the gaming industry, they are by no means suffering in the slightest, even during these hard economic times they are getting record sales on some games.

well they can enforce it if SOPA passes, which there is a chance since congress is heavily lobbied

also, i mean, sure its cool that Switzerland is pretty progressive with their laws and stuff but that just means, legally, nobody in the country would have to pay for any movies or games at all, then technically in Switzerland all the revenue that goes to the artists would have to be "donations".

That means, all the game and movie producers can do is rely heavily on DRM which nobody wants in the first place, because now they technically can't rely on the government. I could host a website in switzerland that has pirated downloads to any games or movies, and it cannot be taken down since its not illegal. Put yourself in the shoes of the people who work hundreds of hours developing the games
post #14 of 284
common sense wins against greed
Old Crap
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Gigbyte EP45-UD3P  ATI Radeon HD 4830 OCZ Fatality 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ  WD Caviar Black NEC DVD-RW ND-3550A ZEROtherm Nirvana NV 120 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Home Prem 64 Samsung T220 (22") Logitech G11  PC Power&Cooling 750W Silencer 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Rocketfish Aluminum Full Tower  Logitech G9 SteelPad 5L Logitech X-530 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Crap
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Gigbyte EP45-UD3P  ATI Radeon HD 4830 OCZ Fatality 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ  WD Caviar Black NEC DVD-RW ND-3550A ZEROtherm Nirvana NV 120 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Home Prem 64 Samsung T220 (22") Logitech G11  PC Power&Cooling 750W Silencer 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Rocketfish Aluminum Full Tower  Logitech G9 SteelPad 5L Logitech X-530 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkeyprince View Post

I could host a website in switzerland that has pirated downloads to any games or movies, and it cannot be taken down since its not illegal. Put yourself in the shoes of the people who work hundreds of hours developing the games

Its not illegal to download pirated stuff but its probably illegal to distribute it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X Sapphire HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 Edition / Unlocked ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3-1600 CL9 Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 830 256GB LG BH10LS30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Venomous-X Black Edition 2x Noiseblocker S-Series M12-P Windows 7 Ultimate x64 HP 2510i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair vengeance K90 EVGA SuperNOVA P2 Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkeyprince View Post

well they can enforce it if SOPA passes, which there is a chance since congress is heavily lobbied
also, i mean, sure its cool that Switzerland is pretty progressive with their laws and stuff but that just means, legally, nobody in the country would have to pay for any movies or games at all, then technically in Switzerland all the revenue that goes to the artists would have to be "donations".
That means, all the game and movie producers can do is rely heavily on DRM which nobody wants in the first place, because now they technically can't rely on the government. I could host a website in switzerland that has pirated downloads to any games or movies, and it cannot be taken down since its not illegal. Put yourself in the shoes of the people who work hundreds of hours developing the games

The gaming industry is going as strong as it ever was, the piracy as an excuse for lack of sales just isn't flying with me. Its more about professional developers also being professional whiners. And SOPA won't stop anything, because even most 14 year olds know how to setup a proxy. Even if it does pass, there will always be a way around it, because there always is with stuff like this.
Edited by chaosblade02 - 12/8/11 at 5:17am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1080ti (3 fans) Adata AX4U300038G16-DRG 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Trion 480GB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Turbo Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200w Gold 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70F 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1080ti (3 fans) Adata AX4U300038G16-DRG 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Trion 480GB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Turbo Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200w Gold 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuut View Post

Its not illegal to download pirated stuff but its probably illegal to distribute it.

Yes. It's perfectly legal to download it and use it for your self, just don't let anyone see or hear what ever it is you downloaded.

Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
post #18 of 284
I'm also not feeling any remorse for companies like EA when they resort to stuff like this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1167642/rps-ea-forum-bans-are-still-affecting-games
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1080ti (3 fans) Adata AX4U300038G16-DRG 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Trion 480GB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Turbo Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200w Gold 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70F 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1600x MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Gigabyte GTX 1080ti (3 fans) Adata AX4U300038G16-DRG 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Trion 480GB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Turbo Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Cooler Master Silent Pro 1200w Gold 
Case
Lian Li PC-A70F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 284
it's the same here in the philippines. the government has a lot more things to worry about than piracy. we can pretty much buy pirated software, games etc. pretty much everywhere. malls, small markets, stalls etc. jailbraking ipods, ps3's, psp's xbox etc.
post #20 of 284
I thought jailbreaking iPods and other electronics was legal confused.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [REG-HARDWARE] Swiss insist file-sharers don't hurt copyright holders