Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › ESD? Electrostatic discharge?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ESD? Electrostatic discharge? - Page 2

post #11 of 22
If it doesn't have fibers, it's anti static. Wood, metal, glass, plywood, poster board, paper, etc. Static bands can actually cause more ESD. They have a little resistor inside of them and that difusses all the electricity to it, however if your clip becomes ungrounded you've got a wrist full of static waiting, just waiting to discharge.


I've built all rigs I've ever worked on carpet. In a wool sweater, with some awesome socks on. ESD isn't as real as you'd think it is. I've even carried around a fan holding the ground in my mouth with my fingers on the red cable. It spun up quick lol but still worked fine.
Edited by redsunx - 12/10/11 at 9:58pm
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 22
I just power down and leave it plugged in to the wall, then make sure to constantly ground myself to the case, never had a problem
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-7700K Delidded 5.0Ghz Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-GamingK5 EVGA GTX1080FTW.Hybrid.Scythe GT/AP-15 P/P 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Savage Black 2800CL13 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 1.5TB Hitachi 7K3000 TTWater 360mm w/ Corsair Sp120PWMs 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 144Hz GSync Razer BlackWidow Chroma v2 Corsair AX750 Corsair Carbide 600C Inverse 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma ALC1220 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-7700K Delidded 5.0Ghz Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-GamingK5 EVGA GTX1080FTW.Hybrid.Scythe GT/AP-15 P/P 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Savage Black 2800CL13 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 1.5TB Hitachi 7K3000 TTWater 360mm w/ Corsair Sp120PWMs 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 144Hz GSync Razer BlackWidow Chroma v2 Corsair AX750 Corsair Carbide 600C Inverse 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma ALC1220 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunx View Post

If it doesn't have fibers, it's anti static. Wood, metal, glass, plywood, poster board, paper, etc. Static bands can actually cause more ESD. They have a little resistor inside of them and that difusses all the electricity to it, however if your clip becomes ungrounded you've got a wrist full of static waiting, just waiting to discharge.
I've built all rigs I've ever worked on carpet. In a wool sweater, with some awesome socks on. ESD isn't as real as you'd think it is. I've even carried around a fan holding the ground in my mouth with my fingers on the red cable. It spun up quick lol but still worked fine.

Just what I was trying to say.
2nd Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[Intel] 2500k [4.5ghz] [1.3 volts] [AsRock] P67 Extreme 6 [Sapphire] 6950 Toxic [Unlocked to 6970 spec] Powercolor reference 6950 [Unlocked to 6970 spec] 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
[Samsung] Low voltage memory [@1866 mHz 9-10-9-28] [GSkill] Sniper 1866 9-10-9-28 1.5V [Corsair] 120gb Force GT WD 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x Seagate Crapstellation ES 2TB [Raid 1] [Coolermaster] V8 Windows 7 [Gateway] FDH2402 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Dell] S2316M [CM Storm] QuickFire TK [XFX] Core Edition PRO850W [In Win] Dragon Rider 
Mouse
Logitech G502 w/ stupid LEDs 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[Intel] 2500k [4.5ghz] [1.3 volts] [AsRock] P67 Extreme 6 [Sapphire] 6950 Toxic [Unlocked to 6970 spec] Powercolor reference 6950 [Unlocked to 6970 spec] 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
[Samsung] Low voltage memory [@1866 mHz 9-10-9-28] [GSkill] Sniper 1866 9-10-9-28 1.5V [Corsair] 120gb Force GT WD 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x Seagate Crapstellation ES 2TB [Raid 1] [Coolermaster] V8 Windows 7 [Gateway] FDH2402 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Dell] S2316M [CM Storm] QuickFire TK [XFX] Core Edition PRO850W [In Win] Dragon Rider 
Mouse
Logitech G502 w/ stupid LEDs 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 22
Leave the power supply off but plugged in, this will, if your house is wired properly, ground you straight to earth.
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Oh besides the other questions I asked you Invena:

Do you also know if the PC tool kits generally come with ESD screwdrivers and such? Logically I would assume so but its not good to assume.

And I think I'm going to order that modmat XXXL tonight but I stilldon't get how he was explaining the "second" method of attaching the alligator clip from the mat to the "grouding plug that you manufactured"

I found the grounding plugs on amazon and whatever, but none of them have that green wire like the one he had in the video and he said stuff I didn't understand , like attach to a "NON-good ground" but then he says make sure the "LED is green because that means it's a GOOD ground"

sigh....
post #16 of 22
like i said, you totally have to be ocd to do any of this, most people dont bother at all and never have issues.

The second method does not come with the mat, the mat comes with the alligator clip, and he attached the alligator clip to a grounding plug.

Instead of grounding the wire to the case (eg attaching the alligator clip to the case), he attached it to a grounding plug for extra protection. That green wire is just a copper wire. its essentially the equivalent of leaving the psu in but turned off. As far as the tools go, im not exactly sure.

And latex is a death trap. Nitrile is safe and is used in electrical component manufacturing, but still not 100% resistant. I believe esd nylon gloves are more resistant, however, they tend to give off little lints that piss me right off biggrin.gif

And the amazon link i posted is essentially what he made on his own, wristband directly to wall.
By the way dont buy that amazon link, its the greatest ripoff in the world. It was a quick example. You can find grounding plugs for 3$.
Here is a summary of all the methods i hope it helps you understand:

The mat method:
wristband->mat->to wall no psu needed
The PSU method:
wristband->case>psu->wall (needs to be plugged in)
Touch the PSU method:
you touching the psu->psu->wall (as soon as you are not touching the plugged-in-psu you are no longer grounded, but since static electricity has to be built up, if you keep touching periodically you should be safe)

or you can just do nothing like most people, and probably never have any issues.
Edited by invena - 12/10/11 at 11:26pm
XForma
(5 items)
 
  
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
K-Type  XForma G303 QCK Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
XForma
(5 items)
 
  
KeyboardCaseMouseMouse Pad
K-Type  XForma G303 QCK Heavy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by invena View Post

like i said, you totally have to be ocd to do any of this, most people dont bother at all and never have issues.
The second method does not come with the mat, the mat comes with the alligator clip, and he attached the alligator clip to a grounding plug.
Instead of grounding the wire to the case (eg attaching the alligator clip to the case), he attached it to a grounding plug for extra protection. That green wire is just a copper wire. its essentially the equivalent of leaving the psu in but turned off. As far as the tools go, im not exactly sure.
And latex is a death trap. Nitrile is safe and is used in electrical component manufacturing, but still not 100% resistant. I believe esd nylon gloves are more resistant, however, they tend to give off little lints that piss me right off biggrin.gif
And the amazon link i posted is essentially what he made on his own, wristband directly to wall.
By the way dont buy that amazon link, its the greatest ripoff in the world. It was a quick example. You can find grounding plugs for 3$.
Here is a summary of all the methods i hope it helps you understand:
The mat method:
wristband->mat->to wall no psu needed
The PSU method:
wristband->case>psu->wall (needs to be plugged in)
Touch the PSU method:
you touching the psu->psu->wall (as soon as you are not touching the plugged-in-psu you are no longer grounded, but since static electricity has to be built up, if you keep touching periodically you should be safe)
or you can just do nothing like most people, and probably never have any issues.

OK that summarized it pretty good.

I ended up ordering that Mat XXXL though.

But hey, I think you left out 1 more method, because in the video he said for method #1 you could attach the mat> case and then the wrist strap>case and I didn't see any PSU stuff.

Method #2 was using the mat to >wall outlet and strap to case.

BTW, I'm just been attaching my antistatic band to my metal case for the LONGEST time without having the PSU plugged in to the wall outlet - did I do it wrong?

Either way, I ordered that kit so I'm happy.
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAlbertoxX View Post

OK that summarized it pretty good.
I ended up ordering that Mat XXXL though.
But hey, I think you left out 1 more method, because in the video he said for method #1 you could attach the mat> case and then the wrist strap>case and I didn't see any PSU stuff.
Method #2 was using the mat to >wall outlet and strap to case.
BTW, I'm just been attaching my antistatic band to my metal case for the LONGEST time without having the PSU plugged in to the wall outlet - did I do it wrong?
Either way, I ordered that kit so I'm happy.

If you ground your wristband to the mat, case to the mat, and mat to the wall (power outlet) you will never have anything to worry about. biggrin.gif
2nd Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[Intel] 2500k [4.5ghz] [1.3 volts] [AsRock] P67 Extreme 6 [Sapphire] 6950 Toxic [Unlocked to 6970 spec] Powercolor reference 6950 [Unlocked to 6970 spec] 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
[Samsung] Low voltage memory [@1866 mHz 9-10-9-28] [GSkill] Sniper 1866 9-10-9-28 1.5V [Corsair] 120gb Force GT WD 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x Seagate Crapstellation ES 2TB [Raid 1] [Coolermaster] V8 Windows 7 [Gateway] FDH2402 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Dell] S2316M [CM Storm] QuickFire TK [XFX] Core Edition PRO850W [In Win] Dragon Rider 
Mouse
Logitech G502 w/ stupid LEDs 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[Intel] 2500k [4.5ghz] [1.3 volts] [AsRock] P67 Extreme 6 [Sapphire] 6950 Toxic [Unlocked to 6970 spec] Powercolor reference 6950 [Unlocked to 6970 spec] 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
[Samsung] Low voltage memory [@1866 mHz 9-10-9-28] [GSkill] Sniper 1866 9-10-9-28 1.5V [Corsair] 120gb Force GT WD 500GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x Seagate Crapstellation ES 2TB [Raid 1] [Coolermaster] V8 Windows 7 [Gateway] FDH2402 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Dell] S2316M [CM Storm] QuickFire TK [XFX] Core Edition PRO850W [In Win] Dragon Rider 
Mouse
Logitech G502 w/ stupid LEDs 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 22
uhh just checked - anyway to get something like this in the EU ?
Corsair Air 240
(16 items)
 
Oldie
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K 3,5 GHz (Skylake) Sockel 11... ASUS Maximus VIII GENE, Intel Z170 Mainboard - ... XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Black Edition, 8192 MB G... Corsair Vengeance LED Series, red LED, DDR4-300... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung SM951-NVMe SSD, PCIe M.2 Typ 2280-D3-M ... Crucial MX200 2,5 Zoll SSD, SATA 6G - 500 GB Toshiba SATA 6G, DT01ACA300, 3,5 Zoll - 3 TB Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i V2 
CoolingPowerCaseOther
Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet Edition Twin Pack Corsair HX750i High Performance Corsair Carbide Air 240 Micro-ATX - white CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi, TX/CX/CS-M & RM Cab... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 SABERTOOTH 990FX ATI Radeon HD 5770 Corsair  
RAMRAMRAM
Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
  hide details  
Reply
Corsair Air 240
(16 items)
 
Oldie
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K 3,5 GHz (Skylake) Sockel 11... ASUS Maximus VIII GENE, Intel Z170 Mainboard - ... XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Black Edition, 8192 MB G... Corsair Vengeance LED Series, red LED, DDR4-300... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung SM951-NVMe SSD, PCIe M.2 Typ 2280-D3-M ... Crucial MX200 2,5 Zoll SSD, SATA 6G - 500 GB Toshiba SATA 6G, DT01ACA300, 3,5 Zoll - 3 TB Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i V2 
CoolingPowerCaseOther
Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet Edition Twin Pack Corsair HX750i High Performance Corsair Carbide Air 240 Micro-ATX - white CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi, TX/CX/CS-M & RM Cab... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 SABERTOOTH 990FX ATI Radeon HD 5770 Corsair  
RAMRAMRAM
Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

I wouldn't worry about static electricity. I've messed with my computer with it on, almost always forget to ground my self when working on it, and when I was replacing my motherboard, left my pc parts on the couch while waiting for the new motherboard to arrive. Nothing has ever died from static electricity. thumb.gif

Yet.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930K Haswell-e Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler Win 7 Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Scratch built. Currently under construction at ... Logitech M525 El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASUS P9X79 WS MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB... Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDR... 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Inter... COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Slee... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 3 x Asus VG248QE Vizio VO320E 32" TV Logitech G510s 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750W Antec Two Hundred v2 Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
AudioOtherOtherOther
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-... LSI 9211-8i HBA card HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in... StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Ho... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › ESD? Electrostatic discharge?