Overclock.net › Groups › IT Professionals › Discussions › General

General

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
A sub-forum to discuss general IT related things. Introduce yourself - tell us about your job, certifications, aspirations, etc....
post #2 of 16
Hmm, figured I may get an answer here. When wanting to deal with software generally, not so much hardware (specifically speaking removal of malware / infections in general), what certs do you need?
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hmmm, I would probably start with something like compTIA security+ along with something from Microsoft that shows you have a certain level of competency with their products because in the real world that's going to be the majority of what you work with anyway. Microsoft offers a Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Security Fundamentals cert. These are just starting points and depending on your current level of skills and where you would like to work they may or may not be what you are looking for. A less traditional route would be to focus on penetration testing or pentesting for short. I've heard good things about BackTrack's pentesting courses and exams from people on the www.insecure.net boards but I'm not sure how serious prospective employers will consider it. I have my own test network set up on virtual machines that I conduct pen-testing on and the knowledge and skills I gain are invaluable to not just network security but software security as well. Once you know how certain attacks work you know how to protect yourself from them whether it be on the physical, network, or application layer. CE Council offers a more industry recognized Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) cert. along with a few other certs. Computer forensics is pretty interesting.

If you would like to do what you described in your post in workplace environment such as the IT's security department be prepared to shift your focus away from software and focus more on networking. As they say, prevention is better than the cure and this holds true for computer security and mostly takes place on the network layer. In this case you would want to consider something like the Cisco Certified Network Associate Security (CCNA Security)

Here's a pretty good list of almost all the computer certs out there, look through it and see what interests you.
http://www.mcmcse.com/othercerts.shtml

Here's an interesting article about the most demanded security certs for 2011
http://nanospeck.hubpages.com/hub/IT-Security-Certifications-Courses-2010

I hope that helps smile.gif
Edited by thx1138 - 12/11/11 at 2:03pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post

If you would like to do what you described in your post in workplace environment such as the IT's security department be prepared to shift your focus away from software and focus more on networking. As they say, prevention is better than the cure and this holds true for computer security and mostly takes place on the network layer. In this case you would want to consider something like the Cisco Certified Network Associate Security (CCNA Security)
Here's a pretty good list of almost all the computer certs out there, look through it and see what interests you.
http://www.mcmcse.com/othercerts.shtml
Here's an interesting article about the most demanded security certs for 2011
http://nanospeck.hubpages.com/hub/IT-Security-Certifications-Courses-2010
I hope that helps smile.gif

Perfect, just what I was looking to research. Thank you very much!
post #5 of 16
Thanks for inviting me THX.

I started out doing IT work for the Tech Director at my high-school, Liberty. This school is very small so he was also one of the 2 math teachers for the high-school and as such didn't have much time to do IT while he was teaching (hence why i did it)

I know about network Topology, protocols, ect. a little bit of Active Directory experience. most of my experience there was building/repairing and setting up the machines around the school. I even memorized the VLK Windows XP key that they were using.

Currently i work at wal-mart since most IT jobs require schooling and/or proper recorded experience. While i do have experience it was all basically volunteer work. Soon i plan on going to school at Spokane Community College to get an AA in Networking and Administration, then perhaps go on to a 4 year degree at some later point if i choose/need to
post #6 of 16
I have been an IT professional for almost 20 years. I first cut my teeth so to speak on Novell Netware4.0 and 4.1 and Groupwise 4.0 and 4.1 as well. Have worked for the court system, US Army, State Auditor's office, 3 colleges and Universities and to many contract positions.

Have pretty much held every position in IT and project management up to and including IT manager and project manager.

OS: Solaris, HP-UX, Redhat, SUSE. FreeBSD, Netware, OES, Windows and others.
Email: GroupWise, Exchange and some minor ones.
Coding: Perl, HTML, Cobal, Fortram, Pascal, Basic, Assembler, scripting, smattering of "C", and can read most others.
Systems: IBM 3090, AS400, X86 based servers, Sun Systems, MAC Systems

Have 1/2 dozen certifications

Masters: Public Administration, Finance emphasis
BA: General Studies - Business, Education, MIS, Military Science

Unemployed at the moment. Suspect over qualified.

Dream Job: Want to work for Blizzard or High Tech Industry in Israel or Government of Israel
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X RAMPAGE V EXTREME ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 980TI Overclocked 6 GB D... ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 980TI Overclocked 6 GB D... 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 980TI Overclocked 6 GB D... Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 64GB DDR4 DRA... SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical ... ADATA XPG SX930 2.5" 480GB SATA III MLC Interna... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 2.5" 240GB SATA III... XSPC RayStorm Extreme Universal CPU Watercoolin... Windows 10 Pro Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (344... 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (344... Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (344... Razer BlackWidow Chroma  Corsair AXi Series AX1500i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Obsidian 900D Razer Naga Epic Chroma  Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5960X RAMPAGE V EXTREME ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 980TI Overclocked 6 GB D... ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 980TI Overclocked 6 GB D... 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 980TI Overclocked 6 GB D... Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 64GB DDR4 DRA... SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical ... ADATA XPG SX930 2.5" 480GB SATA III MLC Interna... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 2.5" 240GB SATA III... XSPC RayStorm Extreme Universal CPU Watercoolin... Windows 10 Pro Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (344... 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (344... Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD (344... Razer BlackWidow Chroma  Corsair AXi Series AX1500i 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Obsidian 900D Razer Naga Epic Chroma  Razer Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

Perfect, just what I was looking to research. Thank you very much!
Always glad to help. Keep us updated if you decide to go for one of those certs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis158 View Post

Thanks for inviting me THX.
I started out doing IT work for the Tech Director at my high-school, Liberty. This school is very small so he was also one of the 2 math teachers for the high-school and as such didn't have much time to do IT while he was teaching (hence why i did it)
I know about network Topology, protocols, ect. a little bit of Active Directory experience. most of my experience there was building/repairing and setting up the machines around the school. I even memorized the VLK Windows XP key that they were using.
Currently i work at wal-mart since most IT jobs require schooling and/or proper recorded experience. While i do have experience it was all basically volunteer work. Soon i plan on going to school at Spokane Community College to get an AA in Networking and Administration, then perhaps go on to a 4 year degree at some later point if i choose/need to
Well thanks for joining. Volunteer or not you can always put that on your resume, even better if you can get a hold of the tech director and use him as a reference. You memorized the VLK? lol should've set up a KMS and never look back. The offer still stands, you're more than welcome to borrow my net+ book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker150 View Post

I have been an IT professional for almost 20 years. I first cut my teeth so to speak on Novell Netware4.0 and 4.1 and Groupwise 4.0 and 4.1 as well. Have worked for the court system, US Army, State Auditor's office, 3 colleges and Universities and to many contract positions.
Have pretty much held every position in IT and project management up to and including IT manager and project manager.
OS: Solaris, HP-UX, Redhat, SUSE. FreeBSD, Netware, OES, Windows and others.
Email: GroupWise, Exchange and some minor ones.
Coding: Perl, HTML, Cobal, Fortram, Pascal, Basic, Assembler, scripting, smattering of "C", and can read most others.
Systems: IBM 3090, AS400, X86 based servers, Sun Systems, MAC Systems
Have 1/2 dozen certifications
Masters: Public Administration, Finance emphasis
BA: General Studies - Business, Education, MIS, Military Science
Unemployed at the moment. Suspect over qualified.
Dream Job: Want to work for Blizzard or High Tech Industry in Israel or Government of Israel
Impressive, welcome to the group. A few questions I always like to ask people who've been in the business for a while are:

Between certs and traditional schooling what do you think gave you the better edge and why?
Which certs did you start with and why?
Based on the different positions you've held which was your favorite and why?

Good luck finding a job.

A little about me: I have an associates in IT. The degree was backwards so I already have all tech classes out of the way. I started off selling computers at office depot which really got me into tech. After that I worked at the college's help desk while going to school. I worked an internship at my local city hall in their IT dept. and from there I moved on to working a temp job with a local government contracting firm where I was second in command of the IT dept. Supported 100 onsite users and 20 offsite. I also helped managed 5 servers(windows) helped with the migration from analog to IP phones, moved the physical servers to virtual systems and a lot of other administrative tasks. Currently unemployed but I had an interview at a bank whose headquarters is in my town and they're looking for a tier 1 help desk technician starting at 14.50/hour. I'll know sometime this week whether I got it or not so I'll keep you guys posted. If I don't get it I'll be going back to college on the 5th of January to focus on a CCNA program that they have. I'm currently studying for net+ and security+ and I plan to get my net+ sometime in January no matter what happens with school or work. I figure I would start off basic and work my way up. Oh and for now my dream job would be network admin but I would also like to get into infosec and work for the government.
Edited by thx1138 - 12/11/11 at 11:27pm
post #8 of 16
Hi, thanks for the invite.

I got an A+ in high school in 2004 but had not really done anything with it until I desperately needed a job and worked for a local computer shop a couple of years ago for some angry Chinese people.

Since then found a job at a local company providing support for managed services, with an emphasis on Cisco Call Manager. After that have just been accruing network experience.

Certs: A+, Project+, Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, JNCIA-Junos, JNCIS-ENT

Aspirations: Not sure, have been studying a bit for the CCNP but not sure if it will help out in my current role. Could always get it and take it somewhere else, though. Also hope to complete my masters by the end of 2012, preferably before the 'world ends' wink.gif (IT Security).
Quote:
Between certs and traditional schooling what do you think gave you the better edge and why?
Which certs did you start with and why?
Based on the different positions you've held which was your favorite and why?
1) Probably certs as you have a more specific focus and can study more quickly, but traditionally I have found that a proper course will teach you more in detail about underlying technologies, which ultimately presents a better skill set when learning about additional things that build on top of foundational knowledge.

2) A+ 2004, then went cert crazy this year and got all of the above ones (including another A+, heh, was credit for a degree program). Back then I was more desktop performance oriented and hung around the Futuremark forums. Building my first PC (1.2 Ghz Athlon T-bird, 256 MB RAM, Geforce 2 MX) really piqued my interest.

3) Network admin as you no longer have situations where people think it's a critical priority 1 situation when Grandma PEBKACs and cannot check her email.
Edited by beers - 12/18/11 at 6:46am
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Having a CCNA definitely helped with the JNCIA test.

The reverse seems to be true for the JNCIS. The majority of that test overlaps with the criteria listed in the CCNP Route test (as well as an element from the CCNA switching portion).

The thing that helped me the most with CCNA was having a hardware lab (couple cheap 2600's and 3500XL's). Once you actually do hands on with what you are learning, at least personally, the material seems to stick a lot better and/or becomes more relevant. I've also heard that taking the CCNA in two portions (the ICND tests) is a little more bearable than the single test.
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting on X399
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II B57 @ X4 3.9 Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Sapphire Radeon 290 8 GB G.Skill 2133 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
250 GB 840 EVO Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Logitech K350 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic x750 Corsair 600T Logitech G100s Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Plantronics Gamecom 788 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
So I finally paid for a Net+ voucher and made a test date at my local testing center for 4/27. Can't wait, it'll be my first cert so I'm pretty nervous and excited.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IT Professionals
Overclock.net › Groups › IT Professionals › Discussions › General