Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 7950 and PCIe 3.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7950 and PCIe 3.0

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
so i was planning to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram this holiday. i7-2600k seemed like a good upgrade, and then in march i was planning to get the 7970 CF. the issue i see here is the PCIe. the 7xxx series is suppose to use PCIe 3.0, but the i7-2600k only support pcie 2.0. would it cause any performance loss if i were to run 7970 CF on pcie 2.0(@ x16,x8)?

and yes, i do plan to overclock everything to its limits.
i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k Sabertooth Z77 MSI 290X lightning 24gb ddr 1866 8-8-8-24 Crucial Ballistix elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Intel 330 SSD WD black caviar 500gb Seagate barrcuda Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46inch Samsung lcd Razer lycosa Antec Truepower quattro 1000 NZXT Phantom (White) 
MouseAudio
Razer deathadder Samsung 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k Sabertooth Z77 MSI 290X lightning 24gb ddr 1866 8-8-8-24 Crucial Ballistix elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Intel 330 SSD WD black caviar 500gb Seagate barrcuda Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46inch Samsung lcd Razer lycosa Antec Truepower quattro 1000 NZXT Phantom (White) 
MouseAudio
Razer deathadder Samsung 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 13
At the moment, we aren't even close to saturating PCI-e 2.1. So i would say that you would have little to no performance decrease.
A long time before graphics cards utilize PCI-e 3.
Ruby
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7 2700k HT - 5.0ghz; 1.42v [ASRock] Fatal1ity z68 Proffesional Gen3 [Sapphire] HD 7970's CrossfireX @ 1200/1700mhz ... [G.Skill] RipjawsX CL9D 2x4GB; XMP 2133mhz; 9-1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[OCZ] Vertex 3 + [WD] VelociRaptor 600gb Gen3 +... [SONY] Optiarc DVD+RW Combo [EK] Res/Rad/Pump + [Koolance] CPU-360 block + ... [Microsoft] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Samsung] 120hz 3D 27" LED 2ms -S27A950D- [Logitech] G19 [Antec] Quattro 1200w OC Edition [Antec] Dark Fleet 85 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
[Logitech] G500 [Razor] Vespula [Asus] Xonar HDAV 7.1 THX DTS [Logitech] Z-5500 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Ruby
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7 2700k HT - 5.0ghz; 1.42v [ASRock] Fatal1ity z68 Proffesional Gen3 [Sapphire] HD 7970's CrossfireX @ 1200/1700mhz ... [G.Skill] RipjawsX CL9D 2x4GB; XMP 2133mhz; 9-1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[OCZ] Vertex 3 + [WD] VelociRaptor 600gb Gen3 +... [SONY] Optiarc DVD+RW Combo [EK] Res/Rad/Pump + [Koolance] CPU-360 block + ... [Microsoft] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Samsung] 120hz 3D 27" LED 2ms -S27A950D- [Logitech] G19 [Antec] Quattro 1200w OC Edition [Antec] Dark Fleet 85 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
[Logitech] G500 [Razor] Vespula [Asus] Xonar HDAV 7.1 THX DTS [Logitech] Z-5500 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
Current high end cards show very little difference between 8X and 16X on PCIe 2 so I really doubt that the next generation cards will need PCIe 3.0. We will only really know when somebody tests it however I would be shocked if it made a significant difference.
 
HTPC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930k MSI X79MA-GD45 Powercolor 7950 G Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 Swiftech Apogee XT Rev. 1 EK-FC HWLabs Black Ice GTX 240 and a Koolance HX-CU72... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
MCP 35X and a MCP 350 Koolance 401x2 Opensuse 12.1 Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky OCN with cherry blues Antec True Power New 650W Cooler Master CM690 II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-750 Gigabyte p55-ud2 GTX 430 G Skill 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Samsung HD204UI Fedora 15 Corsair CX-430 Silverstone GC04 
  hide details  
Reply
 
HTPC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930k MSI X79MA-GD45 Powercolor 7950 G Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 Swiftech Apogee XT Rev. 1 EK-FC HWLabs Black Ice GTX 240 and a Koolance HX-CU72... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
MCP 35X and a MCP 350 Koolance 401x2 Opensuse 12.1 Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky OCN with cherry blues Antec True Power New 650W Cooler Master CM690 II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-750 Gigabyte p55-ud2 GTX 430 G Skill 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Samsung HD204UI Fedora 15 Corsair CX-430 Silverstone GC04 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
If it is a Z68 board with pci-e gen 3 (msi z68 gd65a g3) , it will probebly support Ivy Bridge which is due to release next year and will most likely support pci-e gen 3. So your actually looking at 2 Cpu upgrades in the course of 1 year. And i personally think there will be a performance decrease because each time a new pci generation comes out, the speed doubles so in theory if the 7970 is pci-E gen 3 it will run at half the performance
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOySIE777 View Post

If it is a Z68 board with pci-e gen 3 (msi z68 gd65a g3) , it will probebly support Ivy Bridge which is due to release next year and will most likely support pci-e gen 3. So your actually looking at 2 Cpu upgrades in the course of 1 year. And i personally think there will be a performance decrease because each time a new pci generation comes out, the speed doubles so in theory if the 7970 is pci-E gen 3 it will run at half the performance

Dis-information, very bad to make opinion fact when the op is looking for accurate information.
The bandwidth doubles, not the performance. Which most likely will not be used entirely.
So your pretty much telling the OP that if you dnt have a pci-e 3 capable cpu, your 7970 will run at half the performance... ? :3


Sent from my iPhone4s using the Tapatalk forum app
Ruby
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7 2700k HT - 5.0ghz; 1.42v [ASRock] Fatal1ity z68 Proffesional Gen3 [Sapphire] HD 7970's CrossfireX @ 1200/1700mhz ... [G.Skill] RipjawsX CL9D 2x4GB; XMP 2133mhz; 9-1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[OCZ] Vertex 3 + [WD] VelociRaptor 600gb Gen3 +... [SONY] Optiarc DVD+RW Combo [EK] Res/Rad/Pump + [Koolance] CPU-360 block + ... [Microsoft] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Samsung] 120hz 3D 27" LED 2ms -S27A950D- [Logitech] G19 [Antec] Quattro 1200w OC Edition [Antec] Dark Fleet 85 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
[Logitech] G500 [Razor] Vespula [Asus] Xonar HDAV 7.1 THX DTS [Logitech] Z-5500 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Ruby
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7 2700k HT - 5.0ghz; 1.42v [ASRock] Fatal1ity z68 Proffesional Gen3 [Sapphire] HD 7970's CrossfireX @ 1200/1700mhz ... [G.Skill] RipjawsX CL9D 2x4GB; XMP 2133mhz; 9-1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[OCZ] Vertex 3 + [WD] VelociRaptor 600gb Gen3 +... [SONY] Optiarc DVD+RW Combo [EK] Res/Rad/Pump + [Koolance] CPU-360 block + ... [Microsoft] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Samsung] 120hz 3D 27" LED 2ms -S27A950D- [Logitech] G19 [Antec] Quattro 1200w OC Edition [Antec] Dark Fleet 85 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
[Logitech] G500 [Razor] Vespula [Asus] Xonar HDAV 7.1 THX DTS [Logitech] Z-5500 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim-187 View Post

Dis-information, very bad to make opinion fact when the op is looking for accurate information.
The bandwidth doubles, not the performance. Which most likely will not be used entirely.
So your pretty much telling the OP that if you dnt have a pci-e 3 capable cpu, your 7970 will run at half the performance... ? :3
Sent from my iPhone4s using the Tapatalk forum app

sorry if i was wrong. but i habe a 560 ti in a pci-e gen 1 and my performance is even les than half. and my memory clocks are at half to. it should be 4200 but its at 2100 confused.gif
and i did say the bandwidth doubles
Bandwidth=speed in my last post. sry
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOySIE777 View Post

sorry if i was wrong. but i habe a 560 ti in a pci-e gen 1 and my performance is even les than half. and my memory clocks are at half to. it should be 4200 but its at 2100 confused.gif
and i did say the bandwidth doubles
Bandwidth=speed in my last post. sry

You really need to start a new thread and ask for some guidance. Your memory speed isn't halved and your card's performance isn't halved, either. I'd get into it here, but I don't want to derail OP's thread. Anyways, OP's plan to upgrade to 7950 crossfire will be fine on 2.0. If I weren't so anti dual card setups, it's probably what I'd go for.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post

You really need to start a new thread and ask for some guidance. Your memory speed isn't halved and your card's performance isn't halved, either. I'd get into it here, but I don't want to derail OP's thread. Anyways, OP's plan to upgrade to 7950 crossfire will be fine on 2.0. If I weren't so anti dual card setups, it's probably what I'd go for.

Sorry man. And thanx ill check in to it when i do the rest of my upgrades. sorry OP for wasting a page in your thread
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOySIE777 View Post

Sorry man. And thanx ill check in to it when i do the rest of my upgrades. sorry OP for wasting a page in your thread

You were trying to help and you were speaking from experience (sort of). So let me be first to +REP for you smile.gif

... back to topic !
Ruby
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7 2700k HT - 5.0ghz; 1.42v [ASRock] Fatal1ity z68 Proffesional Gen3 [Sapphire] HD 7970's CrossfireX @ 1200/1700mhz ... [G.Skill] RipjawsX CL9D 2x4GB; XMP 2133mhz; 9-1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[OCZ] Vertex 3 + [WD] VelociRaptor 600gb Gen3 +... [SONY] Optiarc DVD+RW Combo [EK] Res/Rad/Pump + [Koolance] CPU-360 block + ... [Microsoft] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Samsung] 120hz 3D 27" LED 2ms -S27A950D- [Logitech] G19 [Antec] Quattro 1200w OC Edition [Antec] Dark Fleet 85 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
[Logitech] G500 [Razor] Vespula [Asus] Xonar HDAV 7.1 THX DTS [Logitech] Z-5500 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Ruby
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7 2700k HT - 5.0ghz; 1.42v [ASRock] Fatal1ity z68 Proffesional Gen3 [Sapphire] HD 7970's CrossfireX @ 1200/1700mhz ... [G.Skill] RipjawsX CL9D 2x4GB; XMP 2133mhz; 9-1... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[OCZ] Vertex 3 + [WD] VelociRaptor 600gb Gen3 +... [SONY] Optiarc DVD+RW Combo [EK] Res/Rad/Pump + [Koolance] CPU-360 block + ... [Microsoft] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Samsung] 120hz 3D 27" LED 2ms -S27A950D- [Logitech] G19 [Antec] Quattro 1200w OC Edition [Antec] Dark Fleet 85 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
[Logitech] G500 [Razor] Vespula [Asus] Xonar HDAV 7.1 THX DTS [Logitech] Z-5500 speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 13

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaid View Post

so i was planning to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram this holiday. i7-2600k seemed like a good upgrade, and then in march i was planning to get the 7970 CF. the issue i see here is the PCIe. the 7xxx series is suppose to use PCIe 3.0, but the i7-2600k only support pcie 2.0. would it cause any performance loss if i were to run 7970 CF on pcie 2.0(@ x16,x8)?

and yes, i do plan to overclock everything to its limits.


PCIe 2.0, 2.1 & 3.0 are all backward and forward compatible. Performance wise there shouldn't be effected, if any. Maybe it will, if the performance of a 7970 = 2x 6990s (4 GPUs).

 

Look at this way, a 6990 is actually 2x 6970 GPU core in one PCB. If you put the 6990 in PCIe2.0 x16, run a benchmark then compared it to the result of 2x 6970 sit in 2x PCIe2.0 x16/x16. Clock per clock the difference is neglibile, is any.

 

The above is not a good example but it's basically it. PCIe 3.0 will improve efficiency and minimize latency. By how much? Not seing any real test so far, only theoretical numbers.

 

 

Capture.JPG

ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 7950 and PCIe 3.0