Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Dailytech: RFID Embedded Discs to Stop Piracy for Good Says Ritek
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dailytech: RFID Embedded Discs to Stop Piracy for Good Says Ritek - Page 2

post #11 of 38
Kind of off-topic...

Microsoft paid hackers to hack into Vista to find exploits.. and apparently it took them ~15 minutes. If the hacker is smart, he/she won't tell MS about the exploits and he/she will post a hacked version of Vista all over the net.

The point is, no matter how big and tough security is, there will always be a way around it.
MSI Wind
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom 1.6Ghz Intel® 945GSE+ICH7M UMA 1GB DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorCase
80GB N/A 10" 1024x600 MSI Wind 
  hide details  
Reply
MSI Wind
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom 1.6Ghz Intel® 945GSE+ICH7M UMA 1GB DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorCase
80GB N/A 10" 1024x600 MSI Wind 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 38
Quote:
According to reports, DVDs, CDs, Blu-ray discs and HD DVD discs may soon have RFID chips embedded into them to prevent illegal copying of movies and music.

So I am guessing that it doesn't prevent LEGAL copying of movies and CDs then? Wonder how it make that determination

By taking away the rights of the law abiding customers, they merely create more pirates....and those that do not step to piracy to re-secure their rights stolen by the big companies will simply stop or cut back on purchases as well.

As has been said, just because there is a chip on the disc does not make it secure.....anything that can be locked can be unlocked.......
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
So I am guessing that it doesn't prevent LEGAL copying of movies and CDs then? Wonder how it make that determination

By taking away the rights of the law abiding customers, they merely create more pirates....and those that do not step to piracy to re-secure their rights stolen by the big companies will simply stop or cut back on purchases as well.

As has been said, just because there is a chip on the disc does not make it secure.....anything that can be locked can be unlocked.......
Hey... good point Thumper... totally missed that.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8400 DFI LP DK P45-T2RS eVGA GTX 650 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.8TB Total LG Super DVD Burner SATA VII Enterprise x64 Gateway FHD2401 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VX550W NZXT Source 210 White Logitech G400 Razer Kabuto 
Audio
Creative Audigy 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8400 DFI LP DK P45-T2RS eVGA GTX 650 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.8TB Total LG Super DVD Burner SATA VII Enterprise x64 Gateway FHD2401 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VX550W NZXT Source 210 White Logitech G400 Razer Kabuto 
Audio
Creative Audigy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
So I am guessing that it doesn't prevent LEGAL copying of movies and CDs then? Wonder how it make that determination

By taking away the rights of the law abiding customers, they merely create more pirates....and those that do not step to piracy to re-secure their rights stolen by the big companies will simply stop or cut back on purchases as well.

As has been said, just because there is a chip on the disc does not make it secure.....anything that can be locked can be unlocked.......

Quote:
Unfortunately, this also means that users will be unable to make home backups of discs and store away originals for safe keeping.

actually yes it does prevent legal copyings.. no back ups.. means your likly to damage your disc and be forced to buy a new one.. maybe this is all a part of a major marketing plan to screw the user into having to spend more money overall and pass it off as a we are protecting ourself from people that copy our stuff.. blah blah blah.. its all BS..
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2600k Asus p8p67-Deluxe Zotac GTX780 6GB OC G-skill Ripjaws 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 Samsung EVO 120 Western Digital 1TB Black Lite On 20x DVD RW 
CoolingOSOSOS
XSPC RayStorm + 360Extreme Rad Arch Linux Windows 8.1 x64 WindowsRE 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PB278Q ThermalTake Meka G1 Evga SuperNova 1000 P2 Xigmatek Elysium 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitec G500 Gaming Mouse Ultra Pad Fiio E-17 + ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 2600k Asus p8p67-Deluxe Zotac GTX780 6GB OC G-skill Ripjaws 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250 Samsung EVO 120 Western Digital 1TB Black Lite On 20x DVD RW 
CoolingOSOSOS
XSPC RayStorm + 360Extreme Rad Arch Linux Windows 8.1 x64 WindowsRE 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PB278Q ThermalTake Meka G1 Evga SuperNova 1000 P2 Xigmatek Elysium 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitec G500 Gaming Mouse Ultra Pad Fiio E-17 + ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 38
That reminds of my troubles with iTune.^^^^
Lost all the ones I payed for, and didn't back any up. My bad, I know. But when you go onto the music store to get the song you already bought it'll tell you that you already bought, but to get it back you'll have to pay for it again. *%*%*&$%*% I already bought the stinking thing though, great way to screw over the customer IMO, its genuis really. Only about 30% people backup their data and only about 50% of them back it up often. virus, malware, etc can corrupt the drive, causing you to loose the data, and the end result being you giving them another $100 to get all those lovely songs back.

Just for the record, when that happened to me, I only lost 5 songs.
BlackMesa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 Gigabyte XFX RF460 16gb G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex2 Sata II Coorsair Force GS Sata III Debian (testing) Shimian 27" 
KeyboardMouse
Filco w/ blue cherries Who needs a mouse? 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackMesa
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x6 Gigabyte XFX RF460 16gb G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex2 Sata II Coorsair Force GS Sata III Debian (testing) Shimian 27" 
KeyboardMouse
Filco w/ blue cherries Who needs a mouse? 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 38
This is why we store data on seperate hard drives, and for the most part, dont use winblows
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi
I will never purchase a disc drive or disc that supports this type of DRM.
Join the club Paul, I haven't bought a music CD in about 6 years and I watch the movies at the theater but never buy the DVD. Lately 95% of movies are horrible movies that I know I am not going to see at the theater. Last movie I went to see? Superman, and it sucked.

I spend my time listening to Howard Stern on SIRIUS, because music nowadays suck.

So bring more DRM, it's not affecting me one single bit.

On the other hand: If you guys would own copyrighted material and IF were to be distributed all over the internet for free, I bet you guys wouldn't be talking jack schit about DRM. It's all a matter of which side of the fence you are.

For me? I hate MTV crib because they show these idiots showing off what I don't have and if that's where my money would end up? I rather give it to Howard Stern so that he can continue giving the middle finger at the FCC. That's how it's done.
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul
Join the club Paul, I haven't bought a music CD in about 6 years and I watch the movies at the theater but never buy the DVD. Lately 95% of movies are horrible movies that I know I am not going to see at the theater. Last movie I went to see? Superman, and it sucked.

Why even go tot he theater? 95% of the movies I watch I rent.......most films aren't worth the cost, and certainly don't want to reward the hollywood idiots with my cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul

On the other hand: If you guys would own copyrighted material and IF were to be distributed all over the internet for free, I bet you guys wouldn't be talking jack schit about DRM. It's all a matter of which side of the fence you are.

Actually, I do own legal, copyrighted material, a whole bunch of it.......boxes full even.......and DRM is still something I am very much against. I am currently assembling a system with a 1TB+ RAID array that I plan to dump as many DVDs and CDs into it as I can fit (leaving room for TV recording)........I like the idea of not having to get up to select a movie in my collection.......perfectly legal for me to do that, and something this garbage will remove my right to do. if they wanted to sell their DRM affected garbage cheaper, reflecting the limited useage rights, that would be fine. I would pay more to have the right to use what I bought, instead of buying a hacked up rental right POS......
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Why even go to the theater? 95% of the movies I watch I rent.......most films aren't worth the cost, and certainly don't want to reward the hollywood idiots with my cash.
I like to get out of the house once in a while and seeing it in a big screen it's just much better, even though I have a hometheater at home. Also it's not that much that I go to the movies, maybe 4-5 times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Actually, I do own legal, copyrighted material, a whole bunch of it.......boxes full even.......and DRM is still something I am very much against.
I think you didn't understand my point. What I'm saying is that if you were an artist/singer/actor(whatever) and your income is based on your work and that work/art you copyright it and then someone buys it and distributes it all over the net........guess what? Is people going to buy your product and they'll go and get it for free? If they get it for free, then you're out of work.

DRM is being pushed by hollywood not the government but why does the government has to be so involved? Because if hollywood were to go brankrupt tomorrow, that's a hell of a tax revenues that government won't be cashing in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
I am currently assembling a system with a 1TB+ RAID array that I plan to dump as many DVDs and CDs into it as I can fit (leaving room for TV recording)........I like the idea of not having to get up to select a movie in my collection.......perfectly legal for me to do that, and something this garbage will remove my right to do.
Ever heard of a 300+1 disc DVD/CD player? I own one and no where near I was able to fill up all 300+1 slots.

Why bother with the risk of getting caught and go to jail and be mandingo's biatch over a stupid DVD movie? Beats me but I think it's just best to play it safe and not F with the federal government, you know how it goes.

BTW, Why build a $800+ computer when you can get one or two of these for the same price: Sony DVP-CX985V 400 Disc Progressive DVD / SACD Player. Also these things only use 20W of power, compared to that of a PC's 350W+, which one is cheaper to use in the long run? Anyone wanna take a guess?


I say it's best to play it safe and not do something that can be illegal. Do you guys want to end up like Richard Hatch. I don't know about you guys but I don't plan in going to jail ever. Ain't nobody ever gonna try to toss the salad here, no sir. Do what's right and your anus will forver thank you.
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul
I think you didn't understand my point. What I'm saying is that if you were an artist/singer/actor(whatever) and your income is based on your work and that work/art you copyright it and then someone buys it and distributes it all over the net........guess what? Is people going to buy your product and they'll go and get it for free? If they get it for free, then you're out of work.
Ah, yes, I did mis-understand what you were syaing. Regardless, the MPAA and RIAA have been whining about pirates for years.....yet I don't see many movie and music celebs in the unemployment line......none that can be directly linked to internet piracy......and there are some who should be there just from lack of talent. Hollywood is not going bankrupt, and if they are, it's not piracy, it's the steady decline of quality.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul
Why bother with the risk of getting caught and go to jail and be mandingo's biatch over a stupid DVD movie? Beats me but I think it's just best to play it safe and not F with the federal government, you know how it goes.
It's not illegal to make a backup copy of something you own. I am in no danger of going to jail for placing movies I legally purchased in retail packaging into my home theater computer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul
BTW, Why build a $800+ computer when you can get one or two of these for the same price: Sony DVP-CX985V 400 Disc Progressive DVD / SACD Player. Also these things only use 20W of power, compared to that of a PC's 350W+, which one is cheaper to use in the long run? Anyone wanna take a guess?
A couple reasons. #1, I like to build computers, it's fun. #2, my computer (will be more like $1600+) can do a lot more than that DVD jukebox. My home theater system will be recording TV, with the same features as a TiVo unit without the subscription, and with a LOT more recording space, it will be folding for the cure, it will on occasion, be playing games on my 42" LCD HDTV, it will also be a lot cooler looking and unique than just another DVD jukebox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul
I say it's best to play it safe and not do something that can be illegal. Do you guys want to end up like Richard Hatch. I don't know about you guys but I don't plan in going to jail ever. Ain't nobody ever gonna try to toss the salad here, no sir. Do what's right and your anus will forver thank you.
LOL, Richard Hatch was and is a complete moron. And again, making backup copies of your legally purchased media is not illegal. Also, I doubt they put tax evaders and internet pirates in San Quinton......unless they have a real bad lawyer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › Dailytech: RFID Embedded Discs to Stop Piracy for Good Says Ritek