Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 580s and X79
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GTX 580s and X79 - Page 2

post #11 of 52
have you checked your temperatures? install HWMonitor and make sure everything is staying in spec.

Also, if you have a multimeter, test the voltage on the 12v rail(s) of your power supply.
post #12 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post

have you checked your temperatures? install HWMonitor and make sure everything is staying in spec.
Also, if you have a multimeter, test the voltage on the 12v rail(s) of your power supply.

I've checked temps every now and then and everything seems to be within range. Currently have both side panels off with the case sitting on a desk. I'll double check with HWMonitor though.

I do have a multimeter. I'll check the 12v rail when I get home to make sure it's putting out 12v. Although when I checked voltage in the BIOS, it was just above 12v.
post #13 of 52
onboard readings mean nothing. The motherboard's sensors in the little blue project in my sig say the 12v rail is at 8.83v at all times, but it is a solid 12.01v when measured with a multimeter.
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post

onboard readings mean nothing. The motherboard's sensors in the little blue project in my sig say the 12v rail is at 8.83v at all times, but it is a solid 12.01v when measured with a multimeter.

If you see an obvious, wildly wrong measure like 8V on your 12V rail, then it's safe to assume that the monitoring software you're using isn't reading the sensor correctly. However, if it does read around 12V, there's a real good chance that the sensor reading is correct ... maybe not to within the 100ths of V or anything, but it's 'good enough for government work', as they say.

Worrying about adequate power though w/an AX1200? When the issue is the drivers crashing? It doesn't really 'follow' as a logical concern, IMHO.

The idea that it's a system memory problem is also a bit of a stretch, as driver crashing is not how that would normally manifest. Usually memory issues would cause BSOD's, or failure to boot outright.

Hopefully that new BIOS does the trick, as to me the most suspicious component is the brand new mobo/chipset technology involved here (and/or the Forceware having issues with the chipset). The single card/multi slot tests that the OP has done so far almost entirely rule out most other common diagnosis like a bad card or PCI Ex slot or SLI bridge.

OP, have you tried running the system w/the mobo removed from the case? It might be worth a shot at this point. Oh ... and you are installing the mobo/chipset drivers as well, right? Likely not a problem if you didn't, but it's good practice to install them. Maybe check Asus site and see if there's any updates to those drivers as well.
Edited by brettjv - 12/14/11 at 10:14am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post

onboard readings mean nothing. The motherboard's sensors in the little blue project in my sig say the 12v rail is at 8.83v at all times, but it is a solid 12.01v when measured with a multimeter.

Oh I know that it can be different. Other then that, I did check out the voltages for CPU and RAM and both appear to be in a resonable range to work fine. Temps also are good too, hovering around 40c for gpus and 35c for CPU. I didn't get a chance to check the voltage through a multimeter during my lunch break. I'll check when I get home later. I also added extra power connections via 6pin PCIE and Floppy to the mobo just for added insurance. Updated drivers to latest WQHL 285.xx so I'll see if it crashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

If you see an obvious, wildly wrong measure like 8V on your 12V rail, then it's safe to assume that the monitoring software you're using isn't reading the sensor correctly. However, if it does read around 12V, there's a real good chance that the sensor reading is correct ... maybe not to within the 100ths of V or anything, but it's 'good enough for government work', as they say.
Worrying about adequate power though w/an AX1200? When the issue is the drivers crashing? It doesn't really 'follow' as a logical concern, IMHO.
The idea that it's a system memory problem is also a bit of a stretch, as driver crashing is not how that would normally manifest. Usually memory issues would cause BSOD's, or failure to boot outright.
Hopefully that new BIOS does the trick, as to me the most suspicious component is the brand new mobo/chipset technology involved here (and/or the Forceware having issues with the chipset). The single card/multi slot tests that the OP has done so far almost entirely rule out most other common diagnosis like a bad card or PCI Ex slot or SLI bridge.
OP, have you tried running the system w/the mobo removed from the case? It might be worth a shot at this point. Oh ... and you are installing the mobo/chipset drivers as well, right? Likely not a problem if you didn't, but it's good practice to install them. Maybe check Asus site and see if there's any updates to those drivers as well.

I know it sounds different to rule a hardware problem when its mostly likey a software problem, but I just like to make sure. smile.gif

Newest BIOS version ( I believe is 9xx) I'll try when I get home also. Currently tried the stock (6xx) and 803 with no luck. The 9xx BIOS isn't on the actual driver download site from ASUS but I did see some mods posting it on the ROG forums.
Edited by Jayyde - 12/14/11 at 10:18am
post #16 of 52

While you are at it and have a DMM at hand, there's nothing wrong to check the PSU other voltages to rule out it's the PSU. The +5v, +3.3v other than +12v can create choas too. 

ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

Great contribution, you have solved the OP's issue thumb.gif

I don't know if you are trolling or not, but just to clarify:

I'm testing my own R4E and 4x 580s.
Only connected one EPS power (the full 8), and did not connect the 6 pin PCIE power.

The CPU is currently clocked at 4.8ghz and the GPUs are at 850mhz.

Everything is working spot on.
I'm rebuilding everything over the next weekend and than will put everything under water.

The EZ_PLUG in the user guide, are not actually any type of a EZ_PLUG. There is no such thing. Its just a name.

The first, 4 pins, (see page 2-34 in the guide) is an old HDD plug (4 pin one you stick to a 1.44 drive), which is there to deliver extra power to the memory
The second, 6 pin, is a PCIE connector, and is there to deliver extra power to the PCIE lanes, in order to reduce the load from the main board power (75w per lane from motherboard to the cards).

On the R3E there was an extra power connector on each side for a 150w extra power (or 450w extra power if you also add the Xpander power inputs).
The UD9 has the same as the R3E, extra 150w.


There is no need to use the two extra power plugs, especially under stock. The motherboard is good enough to handle those things easily.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayyde View Post


Newest BIOS version ( I believe is 9xx) I'll try when I get home also. Currently tried the stock (6xx) and 803 with no luck. The 9xx BIOS isn't on the actual driver download site from ASUS but I did see some mods posting it on the ROG forums.

You can fine bios here.

I'm currently using the 0901 bios.
Its more stable than the 0804 I updated at the store from the asus official bios list.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 52
Can you try another PSU? Do you have a spare one at home, or another one in another computer?

My AX1200 failed me 2 weeks ago with my 3930K and Rampage IV system, and I got crazy finding the cause of all my problems. And it was the PSU failing.

I'm now running 4X 6970 Quad-Fire and I'm rock-stable with a brand new Antec HCP-1200.

There is also a new BIOS 9.01 for the rampage IV.

Try disabling HPET (High Precision Timer) in the BIOS, and also switch PCIe speed from Gen3 to Gen2, and see if it's making a difference.
    
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-5930k @ 4.9  i7-3930k @ 5.1 (2nd rig) Asus Rampage V (X99) + Asus Rampage IV (2nd rig) 2X Nvidia 1080 Ti SLI watercooled 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2X Nvidia 980 Ti SLI watercooled (2nd rig)  4X8GB=32GB G.Skill DDR4-2700 4X4GB=16GB Ripjaws DDR3 2400 CL9 (2nd rig) 3X Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 250GB 3XSeagate 3TB LG Blu-ray writer 2X Quad-120 MCR420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2X Triple-120 MCR320 + 1X Triple-120 Feser 2X Dual-120 XSPC RX240 32 Gentle Typhoon fans (mix of 3000 and 1850rpm) Reservoir 2X Koolance RP-452x2 with 4X MCP655 p... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2X EK Supreme HF CPU waterblock Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU IPS G-Sync 2440p (main rig) 3X 30'... CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S MX blue switch, C... 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCP1200 + AX850 dual PSU main rig, AX120... Mountain Mods Extended Ascension + Pedestal 24 ... Logitech G502 x 2 PSB speakers 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-5930k @ 4.9  i7-3930k @ 5.1 (2nd rig) Asus Rampage V (X99) + Asus Rampage IV (2nd rig) 2X Nvidia 1080 Ti SLI watercooled 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2X Nvidia 980 Ti SLI watercooled (2nd rig)  4X8GB=32GB G.Skill DDR4-2700 4X4GB=16GB Ripjaws DDR3 2400 CL9 (2nd rig) 3X Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 250GB 3XSeagate 3TB LG Blu-ray writer 2X Quad-120 MCR420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2X Triple-120 MCR320 + 1X Triple-120 Feser 2X Dual-120 XSPC RX240 32 Gentle Typhoon fans (mix of 3000 and 1850rpm) Reservoir 2X Koolance RP-452x2 with 4X MCP655 p... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2X EK Supreme HF CPU waterblock Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU IPS G-Sync 2440p (main rig) 3X 30'... CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S MX blue switch, C... 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCP1200 + AX850 dual PSU main rig, AX120... Mountain Mods Extended Ascension + Pedestal 24 ... Logitech G502 x 2 PSB speakers 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 52
Thread Starter 
Lots of quotes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

OP, have you tried running the system w/the mobo removed from the case? It might be worth a shot at this point. Oh ... and you are installing the mobo/chipset drivers as well, right? Likely not a problem if you didn't, but it's good practice to install them. Maybe check Asus site and see if there's any updates to those drivers as well.

I have not, no. That was something I was thinking of doing. I'd take it it'll be fine if I place it on the plastic case it came in to run, or should I get an anti-static bag? Yes, chipset drivers was the first thing I've done when I got to the desktop right after install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

While you are at it and have a DMM at hand, there's nothing wrong to check the PSU other voltages to rule out it's the PSU. The +5v, +3.3v other than +12v can create choas too. 

I do plan on checking those too. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

I don't know if you are trolling or not, but just to clarify:
I'm testing my own R4E and 4x 580s.
Only connected one EPS power (the full 8), and did not connect the 6 pin PCIE power.
The CPU is currently clocked at 4.8ghz and the GPUs are at 850mhz.
Everything is working spot on.
I'm rebuilding everything over the next weekend and than will put everything under water.
The EZ_PLUG in the user guide, are not actually any type of a EZ_PLUG. There is no such thing. Its just a name.
The first, 4 pins, (see page 2-34 in the guide) is an old HDD plug (4 pin one you stick to a 1.44 drive), which is there to deliver extra power to the memory
The second, 6 pin, is a PCIE connector, and is there to deliver extra power to the PCIE lanes, in order to reduce the load from the main board power (75w per lane from motherboard to the cards).
On the R3E there was an extra power connector on each side for a 150w extra power (or 450w extra power if you also add the Xpander power inputs).
The UD9 has the same as the R3E, extra 150w.
There is no need to use the two extra power plugs, especially under stock. The motherboard is good enough to handle those things easily.

I have the 8pin EPS and 4pin EPS connected since the start. Since you're running 4 cards fine, I don't see a use for the 4pin on my build. I'll take that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

You can fine bios here.
I'm currently using the 0901 bios.
Its more stable than the 0804 I updated at the store from the asus official bios list.

Thanks for the link! thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque View Post

Can you try another PSU? Do you have a spare one at home, or another one in another computer?
My AX1200 failed me 2 weeks ago with my 3930K and Rampage IV system, and I got crazy finding the cause of all my problems. And it was the PSU failing.
I'm now running 4X 6970 Quad-Fire and I'm rock-stable with a brand new Antec HCP-1200.
There is also a new BIOS 9.01 for the rampage IV.
Try disabling HPET (High Precision Timer) in the BIOS, and also switch PCIe speed from Gen3 to Gen2, and see if it's making a difference.

I do have an extra HX620 (believe it's that one) that I can use. Don't know if it'll run both GPUs, but it should run one GPU just fine. I'll also try the Gen 3 to Gen 2. I'd take it thats the PCI Express 3/2/1? Would make sense since these are 2.0 cards, but 3.0 should be backwords compatible, no? Also, what's the HPET for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 580s and X79