Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Running 3+ monitors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Running 3+ monitors

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I have 580 in SLI currently, and game on one 120hz monitor.

I would like to use 3 or more monitors while i'm surfing the net or playing movies, but also keep the SLI capability when I'm gaming.

What are my options here? Get another graphics card?

Thanks!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 and GTX 580 G.Skill Ripjaws 12gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Dell U3011 + BenQ XL2720T Corsair TX850 V2 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide 540 Air Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 and GTX 580 G.Skill Ripjaws 12gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Dell U3011 + BenQ XL2720T Corsair TX850 V2 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide 540 Air Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
Your options are to buy 3 identical monitors and run in Nvidia surround, or keep them out of surround and only game on one monitor leaving the others for other use, which IMO defeats the purpose of a 3 monitor setup (which would be high resolution surround gaming).
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

Your options are to buy 3 identical monitors and run in Nvidia surround, or keep them out of surround and only game on one monitor leaving the others for other use, which IMO defeats the purpose of a 3 monitor setup (which would be high resolution surround gaming).

Pretty much this.

You will have to buy a 3rd cheap card to run 3 monitors with SLI. 2 off of the 580's and a 3rd of off the other card.
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgofborg View Post

Pretty much this.
You will have to buy a 3rd cheap card to run 3 monitors with SLI. 2 off of the 580's and a 3rd of off the other card.

you would not need a 3rd gpu to run 3 monitors. 3 monitors can be run with 2 gpus. you can also choose to game on all 3 monitors or just 1 depending on the game, otherwise you can use 2 of the screens for other stuff and play on one of the screens.

if you have the 1.5 GB 580's you will have a hard time playing in surround because you wont have enough VRAM to handle the resolutions. If you have the 3GB models, then you should be good to go.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Gigabyte P67A-UD7 Evga GTX 580 Hydrocopper 2 Corsair Vengeance 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Custom Water Cooling windows 7 pro 64-bit Acer G235HabD X3 Corsair HX850 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Gigabyte P67A-UD7 Evga GTX 580 Hydrocopper 2 Corsair Vengeance 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Custom Water Cooling windows 7 pro 64-bit Acer G235HabD X3 Corsair HX850 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaxx19 View Post

you would not need a 3rd gpu to run 3 monitors. 3 monitors can be run with 2 gpus. you can also choose to game on all 3 monitors or just 1 depending on the game, otherwise you can use 2 of the screens for other stuff and play on one of the screens.
if you have the 1.5 GB 580's you will have a hard time playing in surround because you wont have enough VRAM to handle the resolutions. If you have the 3GB models, then you should be good to go.

No, trust me, you can't run 3 monitors with 2 gtx 580's and have SLI running on just one display. I had SLI 580's and I've tried.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
i dont want to go surround. was thinking of 24" IPS, 23" 120hz, and 23-24" in portrait mode for reading.

guess ill have to buy a cheap graphics card...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 and GTX 580 G.Skill Ripjaws 12gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Dell U3011 + BenQ XL2720T Corsair TX850 V2 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide 540 Air Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 GTX 780 and GTX 580 G.Skill Ripjaws 12gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Dell U3011 + BenQ XL2720T Corsair TX850 V2 
CaseMouse
Corsair Carbide 540 Air Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Here
It says 2 way SLi needed for surround. 2 monitors on one card one monitor on the other.
Quote:
No, trust me, you can't run 3 monitors with 2 gtx 580's and have SLI running on just one display. I had SLI 580's and I've tried.

I have seen GTX 580's X2 in 3 monitors. I don't know what happened to your setup, maybe a driver problem.

Here is proof for 3 monitors on two GTX 580s.
Edited by Atham - 12/14/11 at 1:41pm
Navy Beast
(14 items)
 
Brother's PC
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[INTEL] Core i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz w/ 1.225V [ASUS] P8Z77-V [GIGABYTE] GTX 670 Windforce Edition [CORSAIR] Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Intel] 520 120GB [WD] Green 1TB SATA II [SAMSUNG] SH-222BB [NOCTUA] NH-U12P-SE2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[MICROSOFT] Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit [ASUS] VH242 24" 1920 x 1080 [BENQ] A800  [CORSAIR] AX750 
CaseMouse
[NZXT] Switch 810 Microsoft Windows Optical Mouse 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[AMD] Athlon II x2 240 @ 3.0GHz [MSi] 785GM-E51 [MSi] AMD Integrated HD 4200 Kingston 2 x 2GB DDR3 Dual Channel @ 1064MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA 2 BENQ DVD DD DW1640 ATA Device IDE Windows Ultimate 64 Bit ASUS VH242 24" 1920 x 1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft USB Digital Media Keyboard (IntelliType) Eurocase 400 watt Eurocase Middle Tower 5425 (no case fans) Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical (IntelliPoint) 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
Navy Beast
(14 items)
 
Brother's PC
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[INTEL] Core i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz w/ 1.225V [ASUS] P8Z77-V [GIGABYTE] GTX 670 Windforce Edition [CORSAIR] Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Intel] 520 120GB [WD] Green 1TB SATA II [SAMSUNG] SH-222BB [NOCTUA] NH-U12P-SE2 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
[MICROSOFT] Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit [ASUS] VH242 24" 1920 x 1080 [BENQ] A800  [CORSAIR] AX750 
CaseMouse
[NZXT] Switch 810 Microsoft Windows Optical Mouse 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[AMD] Athlon II x2 240 @ 3.0GHz [MSi] 785GM-E51 [MSi] AMD Integrated HD 4200 Kingston 2 x 2GB DDR3 Dual Channel @ 1064MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA 2 BENQ DVD DD DW1640 ATA Device IDE Windows Ultimate 64 Bit ASUS VH242 24" 1920 x 1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft USB Digital Media Keyboard (IntelliType) Eurocase 400 watt Eurocase Middle Tower 5425 (no case fans) Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical (IntelliPoint) 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atham View Post

Here
It says 2 way SLi needed for surround. 2 monitors on one card one monitor on the other.
Quote:
No, trust me, you can't run 3 monitors with 2 gtx 580's and have SLI running on just one display. I had SLI 580's and I've tried.
I have seen GTX 580's X2 in 3 monitors. I don't know what happened to your setup, maybe a driver problem.
Here is proof for 3 monitors on two GTX 580s.

I don't think you are getting what morgofborg is saying, and what the OP, paceee, wants. Yes, you are correct, you can run Surround through the use of SLI with two GPU's and three monitors - no one is doubting that. However, you cannot run SLI (no Surround) on only *ONE* of those monitors. For that to work, the OP would have to disconnect the other monitors and re-enable SLI which is a huge pain in the neck.

Add to the fact that the OP is looking to mix and match monitors of various types, so it lends to the fact that he is not looking to do Surround anyway. wink.gif

paceee, your best bet is to get a cheap third GPU to run the side monitors and leave your gaming monitor plugged into one of the GTX 580's. I was able to run a 4th monitor even when I had Surround off of a spare 8800GT, and it worked. thumb.gif
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Running 3+ monitors