Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Multiprocessor Computers F@H discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multiprocessor Computers F@H discussion - Page 24

post #231 of 581
Buckwheets "Budget" 4P-AMD System

Mobo: Supermicro H8QGi+-F $711.79 Shipped
CPUs:4x 8 Core Opteron 6128 $410 Shipped
CPU overclock: None
Ram: 16x - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 9-9-9-24 - $128 Shipped(I have shop runner)
Coolers: 4x Cooler Master 212+ $88.80 Shipped(either free super saver or Prime)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair Profession Gold - $189 shipped(Shop runner)*
Hard drive:500gb left over on hand
Watts: ~400W(Will get better readings soon.)

Total: $1,527.59

WU:6903
TPF:24:27
PPD:~218k(Check my stat link in my sig for real time updates)

* - This power supply is my standard go to build supply when I build higher end machines. I was able to use THIS supply without any issues at all. I was able to get this supply from Microcenter on sale for $99 with an additional $20 rebate. This brought the entire build down under $1500.

Thoughts:

This build was far from complex as for the most part it was plug and play. I am running it with out a case. The hardest part was installing the OS. I don't know why I had such a hard time, but Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.10 would not pick up the hard drive during the install phase while Windows would. I resorted to using V7 of the software off a USB stick during the fold-a-thon. Once that was completed using the suggestion of server 10.04 and putting a GUI on it, the install was finally able to see the hard drive. Your mileage may vary. I was using a Western Digital RE4 hard drive left over from a previous build.

I wanted to get in and out as cheap as possible just to see what the performance would be for these "lower" end processors and still be eligible for the -bigadv changes coming. I am pretty pleased overall with the build.

I could have gone with the 12 cores at ~$400 each but the cost would have been an extra $1200 just in processors. Which means I could almost build a complete second machine for that price and only pay more in power consumption. While that is a big consideration, dropping $100 a month just for parts, in my opinion, is a reasonable amount for a hobby. So for the next year or so I can upgrade the processors at my leisure while the rig folds and I won't have to answer to the wife about a silly $2700 build for folding.

I believe at under $1500 that is roughly the price of a nice gaming rig and is very affordable over the long haul.

Let me know if you have any questions or if something was not made very clear. Good luck building your 2p/4p systems.
Edited by Buckwheet - 1/1/12 at 10:51am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 760 P55A-UD3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Patriot Memory  
RAMRAMRAMOS
Patriot Memory  Patriot Memory  Patriot Memory  Windows 7 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 760 P55A-UD3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Patriot Memory  
RAMRAMRAMOS
Patriot Memory  Patriot Memory  Patriot Memory  Windows 7 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #232 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheet View Post

Buckwheets "Budget" 4P-AMD System
Mobo: Supermicro H8QGi+-F $711.79 Shipped
CPUs:4x 8 Core Opteron 6128 $410 Shipped
CPU overclock: None
Ram: 16x - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 9-9-9-24 - $128 Shipped(I have shop runner)
Coolers: 4x Cooler Master 212+ $88.80 Shipped(either free super saver or Prime)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair Profession Gold - $189 shipped(Shop runner)*
Hard drive:500gb left over on hand
Watts: ~400W(Will get better readings soon.)
Total: $1,527.59
WU:6903
TPF:24:27
PPD:~218k(Check my stat link in my sig for real time updates)
* - This power supply is my standard go to build supply when I build higher end machines. I was able to use THIS supply without any issues at all. I was able to get this supply from Microcenter on sale for $99 with an additional $20 rebate. This brought the entire build down under $1500.
Thoughts:
This build was far from complex as for the most part it was plug and play. I am running it with out a case. The hardest part was installing the OS. I don't know why I had such a hard time, but Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.10 would not pick up the hard drive during the install phase while Windows would. I resorted to using V7 of the software off a USB stick during the fold-a-thon. Once that was completed using the suggestion of server 10.04 and putting a GUI on it, the install was finally able to see the hard drive. Your mileage may vary. I was using a Western Digital RE4 hard drive left over from a previous build.
I wanted to get in and out as cheap as possible just to see what the performance would be for these "lower" end processors and still be eligible for the -bigadv changes coming. I am pretty pleased overall with the build.

how do setups like this fair against the 2p sr-2 builds with ocing' etc? I've seen some hexcores on ebay for 3xx.xx per recently. the way it looks to me is the 4p setups would be easier on electric bills compared to the sr-2 setups.. I keep thinking the sr-2s are bigger on the GPU folding ordeal rather than shining with the 2 cpus they have.

just noticed you have an sr-2 in your stats page? side by side comparison.. which is better?
Edited by INFAMYBLADE - 1/1/12 at 10:54am
post #233 of 581
You really need to get Linux on that 4P.
Not only will you see an increase from that. But also using the Kraken will net you more.
post #234 of 581
Thanks for the number Buck, 4x6128 seems like a really cost effective option that doesn't use much power (heck, my X6 pulls 300W from the wall, though it's only got a 400W Bronze PSU, and gives at best 24k).

Is your CPUs on the SR-2 still running stock clocks? You got a power figure for that? IIRC highly OCd hex on those boards does around 200k, but use over 500W of power.
Frigg d.y.
(23 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K@4600MHz 1.288V ASUS P8Z68-V EVGA Geforce GTX780Ti@1293MHz 2x4GB G.Skill TrindentX 2400 CL10@2133 CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Force F60 2.5" SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" SSD EK-Supremacy CSQ Full Nickel EK-FC Titan Nickel CSQ 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool VPP655 w/ EK D5 X-Top Rev.2 EK-Coolstream Rad XTX 360 & XSPC RS240 Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir 3xScythe GT AP-15@7V, 2xNexus Real Silent 120mm... 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 16 64-bit Windows 7 64-bit Qix Qx2710LED Evolution II 2560x1440 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Keycool 84 w/ Cherry MX Clear  Enermax Platimax 1500W NZXT H630 Func MS3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Qpad Sweclockers Edition BRIK DAC & AMP Ducky DK9008G2 Pro w/ Cherry MX Clear  
  hide details  
Reply
Frigg d.y.
(23 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K@4600MHz 1.288V ASUS P8Z68-V EVGA Geforce GTX780Ti@1293MHz 2x4GB G.Skill TrindentX 2400 CL10@2133 CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Force F60 2.5" SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" SSD EK-Supremacy CSQ Full Nickel EK-FC Titan Nickel CSQ 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool VPP655 w/ EK D5 X-Top Rev.2 EK-Coolstream Rad XTX 360 & XSPC RS240 Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir 3xScythe GT AP-15@7V, 2xNexus Real Silent 120mm... 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Linux Mint 16 64-bit Windows 7 64-bit Qix Qx2710LED Evolution II 2560x1440 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Keycool 84 w/ Cherry MX Clear  Enermax Platimax 1500W NZXT H630 Func MS3 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Qpad Sweclockers Edition BRIK DAC & AMP Ducky DK9008G2 Pro w/ Cherry MX Clear  
  hide details  
Reply
post #235 of 581
Thread Starter 
An overclocked (meaning you need better cooling) sr-2 with hex cores @ 3.8 will get you about 200k. The 4 x 6128 will get you 255k. If you get an SM board, you may get some of the guys at [H]ard to help you overclock it (you will probably have to wait until they put up a guide as you will be folding for OCN not [H] I take it) and you will get 285k. The 4p is better due to the numbers, but it also has an upgrade path to 4 x 12 cores netting you 500-600k PPD. I have a new SM board for less if you are planning on getting one, you can save there and also buying used parts. The psu is a bit expensive (although very nice) in buck's post. Any 650 or great Watt psu will do. Gold standard is recommended as it will be running 24/7 and you want to keep the wattage at the wall down. I had an SR-2 build, and now have 4 x 6128, 4 x 6134 and 4 x 6174 rigs, so if you have more questions feel free. (Sorry for the wall of text, but the enter key on my laptop doesn't work)
Edited by hoth17 - 1/1/12 at 12:19pm
post #236 of 581
What, do they not have any information about the 4p overclocking at all?
post #237 of 581
Thread Starter 
Well, you are not supposed to be able to overlcock on the g34 chipset. Tear, a [H] member wrote a custom bios mod to allow for a 12.5% overclock. Right now, in order to install it on a board, they have to take you step by step through the process which takes a very long time. So, they are only currently helping [H] members because of the time and the risk factor. However, there is talk of them writing a guide as to allow the mod to go more widepread.
post #238 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoth17 View Post

An overclocked (meaning you need better cooling) sr-2 with hex cores @ 3.8 will get you about 200k. The 4 x 6128 will get you 255k. If you get an SM board, you may get some of the guys at [H]ard to help you overclock it (you will probably have to wait until they put up a guide as you will be folding for OCN not [H] I take it) and you will get 285k. The 4p is better due to the numbers, but it also has an upgrade path to 4 x 12 cores netting you 500-600k PPD. I have a new SM board for less if you are planning on getting one, you can save there and also buying used parts. The psu is a bit expensive (although very nice) in buck's post. Any 650 or great Watt psu will do. Gold standard is recommended as it will be running 24/7 and you want to keep the wattage at the wall down. I had an SR-2 build, and now have 4 x 6128, 4 x 6134 and 4 x 6174 rigs, so if you have more questions feel free. (Sorry for the wall of text, but the enter key on my laptop doesn't work)

pm me more info on the board you have extra, appreciate the post smile.gif
post #239 of 581
Quote:
Any 650 or great Watt psu will do.
Hoth, I would recommend high quality 750 and greater. I don't doubt that a good quality 650 Watt unit would suffice, but IMO, you need more headroom. Keep in mind, when a 4P goes into a case with the necessary case fans for both CPU cooling board components cooling, you'll be drawing more power than running nekkid on the bench. That may seem obvious, but here's an example: my G34 4X6136 draws just under 600W under Folding. That's without an overclock (not yet, at least biggrin.gif) and only one hard drive.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 6172 (4P), Opteron 6174 (4P), Opteron 6... Supermicro H8QGL-iF, (2X) Supermicro H8QGi+-F, ... GTX 670 (main computer), onboard Matrox 200 (4P... Main, 16GB DDR3 2133 (Socket 1150); 4P Folders,... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
different for each comuter - SSD and multiple S... I really don't think people care, do they? Main, Megahalems (I7 4970 K, "Devil's Canyon");... Folders, Ubuntu 12.04; main rig, Windows 8.1 (... 
MonitorPowerCase
main rig, dual 24", 1920X1200 (no letter box fo... 750W-1000W Enermax, Seasonic, Corsairs (4P comp... CM Stacker 830, CM HAF 932, CM HAF X,Rocketfish... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 6172 (4P), Opteron 6174 (4P), Opteron 6... Supermicro H8QGL-iF, (2X) Supermicro H8QGi+-F, ... GTX 670 (main computer), onboard Matrox 200 (4P... Main, 16GB DDR3 2133 (Socket 1150); 4P Folders,... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
different for each comuter - SSD and multiple S... I really don't think people care, do they? Main, Megahalems (I7 4970 K, "Devil's Canyon");... Folders, Ubuntu 12.04; main rig, Windows 8.1 (... 
MonitorPowerCase
main rig, dual 24", 1920X1200 (no letter box fo... 750W-1000W Enermax, Seasonic, Corsairs (4P comp... CM Stacker 830, CM HAF 932, CM HAF X,Rocketfish... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #240 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvidab View Post

Thanks for the number Buck, 4x6128 seems like a really cost effective option that doesn't use much power (heck, my X6 pulls 300W from the wall, though it's only got a 400W Bronze PSU, and gives at best 24k).
Is your CPUs on the SR-2 still running stock clocks? You got a power figure for that? IIRC highly OCd hex on those boards does around 200k, but use over 500W of power.

My SR-2 is running stock clock L5640s. I am still tweaking it which is why I did not post any numbers for it yet, I don't consider it completed. It is running on a partial RAM delivery doing bidadv with not sufficient cooling for a high OC yet. I am just plagued by slow delivery of my stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMYBLADE View Post

how do setups like this fair against the 2p sr-2 builds with ocing' etc? I've seen some hexcores on ebay for 3xx.xx per recently. the way it looks to me is the 4p setups would be easier on electric bills compared to the sr-2 setups.. I keep thinking the sr-2s are bigger on the GPU folding ordeal rather than shining with the 2 cpus they have.
just noticed you have an sr-2 in your stats page? side by side comparison.. which is better?

The cost of my SR-2 package is going to be $450 for the board, $600 for the processors and $44 in heat sinks. For a true comparison if you put in the same supply and RAM you would have $96 in RAM costs and the same $189 for the supply. This would give you a total of ~$1375 which for the cost is just barely below my 4P rig.

I think the 4P at that price point is a better investment for pure folding, but I will get you some better numbers sometime next week. If you want to spend sub $1200 the SR-2 is the way to go because you can do more with it as a part time gaming rig/folder than the 4p.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden View Post

You really need to get Linux on that 4P.
Not only will you see an increase from that. But also using the Kraken will net you more.

The 4P is running Ubuntu server 10.04 with The Krakken already installed. The points have increased quite a bit from when I posted originally. 23:18 TPF right now for 234k per day.
Edited by Buckwheet - 1/1/12 at 2:10pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 760 P55A-UD3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Patriot Memory  
RAMRAMRAMOS
Patriot Memory  Patriot Memory  Patriot Memory  Windows 7 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 760 P55A-UD3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Patriot Memory  
RAMRAMRAMOS
Patriot Memory  Patriot Memory  Patriot Memory  Windows 7 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Multiprocessor Computers F@H discussion