Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › ordering my first build tomorrow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ordering my first build tomorrow - Page 2

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoey112 View Post

no the the same twin frozer

Good they run great on air.
post #12 of 22
The Asrock board is a top-level board. It is on the same rung of the ladder as the Sabertooth, in fact, from memory I believe the Asrock has a better VRM setup, and I'm not sure if the Sabertooth supports Tri-fire, but I'll get to that in a minute.

OP - that board is a great choice. One question though: Why the P67 board? You should be looking for the newer platform, Z68. If you get a Gen3 Z68 motherboard then you are supposedly ready for Ivy Bridge (probably with a bios update)

The Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Gen3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

However

you have stated that you want to tri-fire 6950's. awesome, firstly, that will be a killer setup.

Above was suggested the MSI Twin Frozr II 6950. Well ... I suggest the Twin Frozr III PE/OC, because it has a better VRM setup and comes with a guaranteed overclock out of the box, plus they come with Dual-Bios switches in case you wish to attempt to unlock the shaders, and they apparently have a fairly high success rate.

That said, 3 of these cards will push a lot of hot air into a pc case - I see you have a test bench, which will be fine, but know that you probably wouldn't be wise to have 3 of these sat next to each other without very good case cooling. Even on a test bench you might be wise to have an extra fan blowing cool air at the cards. They are very good at cooling, don't get me wrong, but 3 together will create a decent amount of heat. If you are in a case and tri-firing, I suggest a card that exhausts hot air out the back, like the Sapphire Toxic cards.

Also, for tri-fire you want a motherboard that will have at least x8 on all three PCIe slots. Both of the Asrock's have x16/x16/4 or x8/x8/x4. That last card in x4 will likely affect speeds. Not too much, but potentially.

If you are going all out with tri-fire, then perhaps it's wise to look at this board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

Just something to think about.
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
 
PortaPuter
(6 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3210m 2gb Radeon HD7670m DDR3 @ 780mhz/1095mhz 6gb DDR3 1600mhz 500gb HDD 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 64bit 14" Brightview LED (1366x768) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj View Post

The Asrock board is a top-level board. It is on the same rung of the ladder as the Sabertooth, in fact, from memory I believe the Asrock has a better VRM setup, and I'm not sure if the Sabertooth supports Tri-fire, but I'll get to that in a minute.
OP - that board is a great choice. One question though: Why the P67 board? You should be looking for the newer platform, Z68. If you get a Gen3 Z68 motherboard then you are supposedly ready for Ivy Bridge (probably with a bios update)
The Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Gen3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263
However
you have stated that you want to tri-fire 6950's. awesome, firstly, that will be a killer setup.
Above was suggested the MSI Twin Frozr II 6950. Well ... I suggest the Twin Frozr III PE/OC, because it has a better VRM setup and comes with a guaranteed overclock out of the box, plus they come with Dual-Bios switches in case you wish to attempt to unlock the shaders, and they apparently have a fairly high success rate.
That said, 3 of these cards will push a lot of hot air into a pc case - I see you have a test bench, which will be fine, but know that you probably wouldn't be wise to have 3 of these sat next to each other without very good case cooling. Even on a test bench you might be wise to have an extra fan blowing cool air at the cards. They are very good at cooling, don't get me wrong, but 3 together will create a decent amount of heat. If you are in a case and tri-firing, I suggest a card that exhausts hot air out the back, like the Sapphire Toxic cards.
Also, for tri-fire you want a motherboard that will have at least x8 on all three PCIe slots. Both of the Asrock's have x16/x16/4 or x8/x8/x4. That last card in x4 will likely affect speeds. Not too much, but potentially.
If you are going all out with tri-fire, then perhaps it's wise to look at this board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760
Just something to think about.

I am getting this board to tri-fire on ASUS P8P67 WS because it has more space and its a lot cheaper.
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj View Post

The Asrock board is a top-level board. It is on the same rung of the ladder as the Sabertooth, in fact, from memory I believe the Asrock has a better VRM setup, and I'm not sure if the Sabertooth supports Tri-fire, but I'll get to that in a minute.
OP - that board is a great choice. One question though: Why the P67 board? You should be looking for the newer platform, Z68. If you get a Gen3 Z68 motherboard then you are supposedly ready for Ivy Bridge (probably with a bios update)
The Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Gen3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263
However
you have stated that you want to tri-fire 6950's. awesome, firstly, that will be a killer setup.
Above was suggested the MSI Twin Frozr II 6950. Well ... I suggest the Twin Frozr III PE/OC, because it has a better VRM setup and comes with a guaranteed overclock out of the box, plus they come with Dual-Bios switches in case you wish to attempt to unlock the shaders, and they apparently have a fairly high success rate.
That said, 3 of these cards will push a lot of hot air into a pc case - I see you have a test bench, which will be fine, but know that you probably wouldn't be wise to have 3 of these sat next to each other without very good case cooling. Even on a test bench you might be wise to have an extra fan blowing cool air at the cards. They are very good at cooling, don't get me wrong, but 3 together will create a decent amount of heat. If you are in a case and tri-firing, I suggest a card that exhausts hot air out the back, like the Sapphire Toxic cards.
Also, for tri-fire you want a motherboard that will have at least x8 on all three PCIe slots. Both of the Asrock's have x16/x16/4 or x8/x8/x4. That last card in x4 will likely affect speeds. Not too much, but potentially.
If you are going all out with tri-fire, then perhaps it's wise to look at this board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760
Just something to think about.

P67 because its the cheapest that gets the job done. Also i wont be upgrading the cpu on it for at least 5 years that why i am getting a 2500k I was also looking at the sabertooth and thats only 2 way crossfire. I also probably wont go Xfire until mid or late 2012 also i got this PSU is this fine for 2 way cross i no it most likely wont be for crossfire X http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Fully-Modular-80PLUS-Performance-compatible/dp/B005SCYFRE
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoey112 View Post

P67 because its the cheapest that gets the job done. Also i wont be upgrading the cpu on it for at least 5 years that why i am getting a 2500k I was also looking at the sabertooth and thats only 2 way crossfire. I also probably wont go Xfire until mid or late 2012 also i got this PSU is this fine for 2 way cross i no it most likely wont be for crossfire X http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Fully-Modular-80PLUS-Performance-compatible/dp/B005SCYFRE

If you EVER want to tri-fire i would just get the Rosewill Lightning 1000W (which I bought) even if your not going to in 2 years its always good to not buy extra stuff.
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
well that psu was a chirstmas gift so i cant say nothing lol but will it be good for 2 way crossfire
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoey112 View Post

well that psu was a chirstmas gift so i cant say nothing lol but will it be good for 2 way crossfire

It would be amazing for dual-crossfire i mean its 1000W and 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED(good).
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHoboLord View Post

It would be amazing for dual-crossfire i mean its 1000W and 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFIED(good).

No i mean this PSU http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Fully-Modular-80PLUS-Performance-compatible/dp/B005SCYFRE
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Server
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 2500k MSI mpower Z77 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB Kingston HyperX  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd green tb  LG Sata sunbeam twister Windows 7 
MonitorPowerCase
HP 2009m+ 40inch HD tv ozt zt 750watt open bench  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD phenom 9650 Stock HP Motherboard Geforce 9100 8 GIGs ddr 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung WD WHS 2011 HP 2009m ( 1600x 900 ) 
PowerCase
350 watt psu HP case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 22
Quote:

its a good PSU, that i know and 750W shoild be ok for crossfire but i do like the Roswell better rated at 1000W should be perfect for dual crossfire and some headroom too but is it worth the extra $80 bucks, i think so thumb.gif
Going to be chaep
(16 items)
 
Wife's Rig
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH MSI GTX460 G.Skill TridentX 2400 2 x 4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M5p 128GB 2 x WD 500GB Blues LG Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Arctic F12 CO PWM x 2 Push/Pull Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate LG IPS235V Corsair AX850 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced (Asia version) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Inno3D Ichill GTX660 8GB G.Skill RipjawsX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB WD black 500GB Liteon Coolermaster Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 ultimate Samsung Syncmaster 932gwe+ OCZ ZT series 550W Coolermaster 410 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
1.67Ghz Atom stock 1GB DDR2 2 x 500GB Western Digital Cavier Blacks [RAID 1] 
CoolingOSPowerCase
stock DSM3.2 [built on linux] stock stock 
OtherOther
Synology DX510 Expansion unit 5 x 1TB WD Cavier Blacks in a RAID 6 
  hide details  
Reply
Going to be chaep
(16 items)
 
Wife's Rig
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH MSI GTX460 G.Skill TridentX 2400 2 x 4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M5p 128GB 2 x WD 500GB Blues LG Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Arctic F12 CO PWM x 2 Push/Pull Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate LG IPS235V Corsair AX850 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced (Asia version) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Inno3D Ichill GTX660 8GB G.Skill RipjawsX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB WD black 500GB Liteon Coolermaster Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 ultimate Samsung Syncmaster 932gwe+ OCZ ZT series 550W Coolermaster 410 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
1.67Ghz Atom stock 1GB DDR2 2 x 500GB Western Digital Cavier Blacks [RAID 1] 
CoolingOSPowerCase
stock DSM3.2 [built on linux] stock stock 
OtherOther
Synology DX510 Expansion unit 5 x 1TB WD Cavier Blacks in a RAID 6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 22
Quote:

That PSU should be fine. There is no need for 3 way crossfire, and when the time comes when it may be needed, there will be single cards that are far more efficient
T420
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2410m Lenovo Intel HD 3000 8GB GSkill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX Windows 7 Ubuntu 14" 1600x900 
Case
Thinkpad 
  hide details  
Reply
T420
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2410m Lenovo Intel HD 3000 8GB GSkill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX Windows 7 Ubuntu 14" 1600x900 
Case
Thinkpad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › ordering my first build tomorrow