Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Official] Radeon 7970 Reviews Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Radeon 7970 Reviews Thread - Page 11  

post #101 of 1708
I think that this card does what AMD needed it to do. Beat the 580 and come in at a price that people would rather buy this over a 580.

I was hoping for more performance out of the gate, but with super early drivers and what looks like a OC champ waiting to happen, I think that this card is what it needed to be.

Still hoping for nvidia to surprise us all with Kepler XD
6950X
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 6950X @ 4.3 (100x43) ASUS Rampage V Extreme Geforce 1080Ti Founders Edition Geforce 1080Ti Founders Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
64GB DDR4 3200MHz 14-14-14-34-1T 1.2TB Intel 750 PCIe 512GB Samsing 950 Pro M.2 Corsair H115i GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Acer Predator 27" 1440p 144Hz x2 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Cube Razer DeathAdder Chroma 2015 Soundblaster X7 Limited Edition External DAC 
  hide details  
6950X
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 6950X @ 4.3 (100x43) ASUS Rampage V Extreme Geforce 1080Ti Founders Edition Geforce 1080Ti Founders Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
64GB DDR4 3200MHz 14-14-14-34-1T 1.2TB Intel 750 PCIe 512GB Samsing 950 Pro M.2 Corsair H115i GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Acer Predator 27" 1440p 144Hz x2 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair AX1500i 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Cube Razer DeathAdder Chroma 2015 Soundblaster X7 Limited Edition External DAC 
  hide details  
post #102 of 1708
I think this cards true strength is OC potential. With OC it can match HD 6990.
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
post #103 of 1708
Just read a few reviews. Powerful cards, but I believe we are approaching the era of innovative GPU designs. It's only about 25-30% faster than a GTX 580... after all this time? Also, the price is very un-AMD like. I guess they finally decided they need to make some money on their cards.

Congrats AMD on pulling ahead, but I have a feeling that Kepler will retake the crown.
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
post #104 of 1708
Alright, well here's how I see things at stock:

Gaming performance is pretty disappointing. Was expecting better.

Compute performance: AMD has won the throne from Nvidia. I'm simply blown away by the improvements there.

Features: 7k is bring a lot of cool stuff that I will never ever use. I think that's neat and all, but I just won't have a use for it right now.

Power: the ZeroCore thing is pretty much amazing. Obviously that won't run very often if at all on my rig, but it's a cool feature that I see having a lot of potential in the mobile market. Idle's pretty much fantastic. Load power was disappointing however, IMO, given that it's on the 28nm process and using HKMG.

Noise: like Anandtech pointed out, they really went overboard with cooling. They don't need to run the fan so aggressively. This doesn't matter to me so much, as custom fan profiles + twin frozr III will pretty much make the noise problem irrelevant.

Crossfire scaling: Pretty damn solid, especially for something running on such immature drivers.

Now, it does what it needs to do at stock clocks for $550. But when you throw overclocking into the mix?

I'm absolutely astounded that they released a card at these clocks when it is so, so much more capable. I think this may hint at AMD offering a refresh later or a higher clocked card to compete with whatever Nvidia answers with. They can tackle the ultra-high end GPU market with these cards, there's no reason why they shouldn't.

1.2 GHz at stock voltage is absolutely incredible. I would like to see a bit more proof of that seeing as CCC doesn't allow the clocks to go that high, but the possibility of a ~30% increase in frequency before you even need to add voltage is just mind boggling.

So, while this may be disappointing for people running at stock, we're overclock.net, not hellokittyhardware.com. I want to see these things clock at 1400 MHz under water... that'd be incredible. I think that's an insanely lofty expectation, but that'd be an overclock of over 50%.

Even at 1.2GHz, these things very, very well would be knocking on the GTX 590 and 6990's doors like rumored. Obviously those cards can overclock as well, but this card has such amazing potential just waiting to be unlocked. I really want to see an overclocked 580 vs an overclocked 7970. That would be the real test of performance.

Anandtech said that AMD is going to be a bit more aggressive with improving their drivers, so it looks like 2012 will be a great year for AMD, even if Nvidia crushes them with Kepler. I'm really interested in seeing the rest of the 7k lineup. Can't wait for more benches!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9750 (stock) MSI MS-7548 (Aspen) HD 6950 @ 971/1387 1.25v 8GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB Windows 7 64-bit ASUS VH238H 1920x1080 Seasonic X-650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Smart One Razer Naga Razer Scarab 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9750 (stock) MSI MS-7548 (Aspen) HD 6950 @ 971/1387 1.25v 8GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB Windows 7 64-bit ASUS VH238H 1920x1080 Seasonic X-650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Smart One Razer Naga Razer Scarab 
  hide details  
post #105 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

Just read a few reviews. Powerful cards, but I believe we are approaching the era of innovative GPU designs. It's only about 25-30% faster than a GTX 580... after all this time?

You look like you know a lot about video cards. Why don't you go and help them design one that is not 25% but 250% faster?

I mean, it's so easy.
post #106 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post

Alright, well here's how I see things at stock:

Gaming performance is pretty disappointing. Was expecting better.

Compute performance: AMD has won the throne from Nvidia. I'm simply blown away by the improvements there.

Features: 7k is bring a lot of cool stuff that I will never ever use. I think that's neat and all, but I just won't have a use for it right now.

Power: the ZeroCore thing is pretty much amazing. Obviously that won't run very often if at all on my rig, but it's a cool feature that I see having a lot of potential in the mobile market. Idle's pretty much fantastic. Load power was disappointing however, IMO, given that it's on the 28nm process and using HKMG.

Noise: like Anandtech pointed out, they really went overboard with cooling. They don't need to run the fan so aggressively. This doesn't matter to me so much, as custom fan profiles + twin frozr III will pretty much make the noise problem irrelevant.

Crossfire scaling: Pretty damn solid, especially for something running on such immature drivers.

Now, it does what it needs to do at stock clocks for $550. But when you throw overclocking into the mix?

I'm absolutely astounded that they released a card at these clocks when it is so, so much more capable. I think this may hint at AMD offering a refresh later or a higher clocked card to compete with whatever Nvidia answers with. They can tackle the ultra-high end GPU market with these cards, there's no reason why they shouldn't.

1.2 GHz at stock voltage is absolutely incredible. I would like to see a bit more proof of that seeing as CCC doesn't allow the clocks to go that high, but the possibility of a ~30% increase in frequency before you even need to add voltage is just mind boggling.

So, while this may be disappointing for people running at stock, we're overclock.net, not hellokittyhardware.com. I want to see these things clock at 1400 MHz under water... that'd be incredible. I think that's an insanely lofty expectation, but that'd be an overclock of over 50%.

Even at 1.2GHz, these things very, very well would be knocking on the GTX 590 and 6990's doors like rumored. Obviously those cards can overclock as well, but this card has such amazing potential just waiting to be unlocked. I really want to see an overclocked 580 vs an overclocked 7970. That would be the real test of performance.

Anandtech said that AMD is going to be a bit more aggressive with improving their drivers, so it looks like 2012 will be a great year for AMD, even if Nvidia crushes them with Kepler. I'm really interested in seeing the rest of the 7k lineup. Can't wait for more benches!

Very good summary. +1

I also think we might be in for a refresh considering how low the stock clocks are right now. Or maybe the 7XXX series is more of a "pipe cleaner" and we get a quick turn around to the 8XXX series (a la Fermi). Either way, after OC this is a beast of a card. Under water this thing may even put the dual GPUs to shame...
post #107 of 1708
So it doesnt beat a 6990 like they were claiming? I wanted to replace my 6990 with this I guess I will wait for the 7990
The BEAST
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k @ 4.5 ghz GB Z97M-D3H EVGA 980TI CLASSIFIED Corsair 1600mhz XMS Kit 4x2gb DDR3 8-9-8-19 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Western digital Blue Edition Pioneer Dvr-112d Windows 10 64bit Dell u2715h 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G810 Antec 1000w Truepower quattro 80 plus Antec 902 v3 Logitech performance MX 
  hide details  
The BEAST
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k @ 4.5 ghz GB Z97M-D3H EVGA 980TI CLASSIFIED Corsair 1600mhz XMS Kit 4x2gb DDR3 8-9-8-19 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Western digital Blue Edition Pioneer Dvr-112d Windows 10 64bit Dell u2715h 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G810 Antec 1000w Truepower quattro 80 plus Antec 902 v3 Logitech performance MX 
  hide details  
post #108 of 1708
http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2472/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review
http://www.ixbt.com/video3/tahiti-part2.shtml
http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/
http://www.hardwaresecrets
.com/article/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-Video-Card-Review/1458
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/33031-amd-radeon-hd-7970-3gb/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/12/21/amd_radeon_hd_7970_video_card_review
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1362/pg1/amd-radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-performance-review-introduction.html
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/amd%E2%80%99s_radeon_hd_7970_43_billion_transistors_pure_performance
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1361/pg10/amd-radeon-hd-7970-graphics-card-review-batman-arkham-city.html
http://www.overclockers.com/amd-radeon-hd-7970-graphics-card-review/
http://icrontic.com/article/amd-radeon-7970
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-28nm-Tahiti-GPU-Review/
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-3GB-Graphics-Card-Review-Tahiti-28nm/
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-tahiti-gcn,3104.html
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/graphics-cards/1289251/amd-radeon-hd-7970
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1805/1/
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-hd7970-graphics-card-review/
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/AMD_HD_7970/
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/carte-graphique/generic-amd-radeon-hd-7970-3-go-p12460/test.html
http://widescreengamingforum.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review-benchmarking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoGzSbaFVuI
post #109 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1NE View Post

So it doesnt beat a 6990 like they were claiming?

Once OC'ed to max, it will most likely match or possibly even best a max OC'ed 6990, especially after driver improvements(It will very very close if it doesn't). These are the first drivers, probably beta or even alpha. Given the OC potential, I'd say these are going to be very nice in the long run. The price is a surprise though, I was honestly expecting quite a bit less. Though they are going uncontested for what appears to be a long time, so it makes sense.
Edited by Strat79 - 12/21/11 at 11:54pm
post #110 of 1708
wasn't that just a rumor that it was going to beat the 6990?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Official] Radeon 7970 Reviews Thread