Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › AMD Zosma 960T/1600T/1605T CPU Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Zosma 960T/1600T/1605T CPU Club - Page 237

post #2361 of 2790
Hi guys, I am the owner of 960T and I managed to unlock the two extra cores using the Asus Crosshair 3 Formula a few months ago and now using the Gigabyte970A-D3 http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4306#ov
I haven't had any stability problems and I want to overclock the CPU changing the multiplier. My CPU fan is the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX http://www.legitreviews.com/article/409/1/ and the idle temp of the CPU cores is 32 Celsius.
Is it safe to overclock using the six-cores or should I go back to 4 cores and do the unlocking afterwards?
post #2362 of 2790
first unlock the cores, then overclock
unlocking cores after overclocking would reset overclock i think
Warlord
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G Corsair Venegeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB WD Caviar Green 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ G2420HDB 24" A4TECH X7 G800V Corsair RM650i Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered 
MouseAudio
A4TECH Bloody V8M HyperX Cloud 
  hide details  
Reply
Warlord
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G Corsair Venegeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB WD Caviar Green 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ G2420HDB 24" A4TECH X7 G800V Corsair RM650i Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered 
MouseAudio
A4TECH Bloody V8M HyperX Cloud 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2363 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelnov600 View Post

Hi guys, I am the owner of 960T and I managed to unlock the two extra cores using the Asus Crosshair 3 Formula a few months ago and now using the Gigabyte970A-D3 http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4306#ov
I haven't had any stability problems and I want to overclock the CPU changing the multiplier. My CPU fan is the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX http://www.legitreviews.com/article/409/1/ and the idle temp of the CPU cores is 32 Celsius.
Is it safe to overclock using the six-cores or should I go back to 4 cores and do the unlocking afterwards?

i was only able to run Prime with the extra cores unlocked when the cpu temp idled at 30C or below. this was at 4GHz. so, for anything higher than 30C or 4GHz unlocked , my chip will surely hit 55C at load and that's when instability happens. if your cpu cooler can maintain 55C or lower at load, then go ahead oc. as it stands now, you are already sitting at 32. you may have to change your thermal paste, reseat the cpu, check case airflow, and lower your ambient temp. i use mx-2.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2364 of 2790
lol mine idles at about 40-45c depending on ambient temps, (20-25c) I believe its because i did a useless job of applying thermal paste, also the clip holding the cooler in place is ever so slightly loose. Are these temps a problem? even under load as a x6 3.8ghz it never goes above 55c so i always assumed that high idle temp must be alright?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX 8320 Asus M5A99X EVO Evga GTX570 Evga GTX570 
RAMCoolingCoolingOS
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB 1600mhz Aero Cool touch 2000 Fan Controller (3 fans) H80i Windows 8 
MonitorPowerCase
50in Panasonic plasma+ 24in HP monitor 750w Enermax tomahawk2 PSU Antec DF10 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX 8320 Asus M5A99X EVO Evga GTX570 Evga GTX570 
RAMCoolingCoolingOS
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB 1600mhz Aero Cool touch 2000 Fan Controller (3 fans) H80i Windows 8 
MonitorPowerCase
50in Panasonic plasma+ 24in HP monitor 750w Enermax tomahawk2 PSU Antec DF10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2365 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoinTheRealms View Post

lol mine idles at about 40-45c depending on ambient temps, (20-25c) I believe its because i did a useless job of applying thermal paste, also the clip holding the cooler in place is ever so slightly loose. Are these temps a problem? even under load as a x6 3.8ghz it never goes above 55c so i always assumed that high idle temp must be alright?
Sounds like you have smart fan enabled in bios or whatever ASUS's equivalent is. Fans won't spin up till it gets to a certain temp.
I have an asrock board that the lowest smart fan target is 40 C which annoys me
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2366 of 2790
Quote:
you may have to change your thermal paste, reseat the cpu, check case airflow, and lower your ambient temp. i use mx-2.

It's been a week since I've built my new rig. My case is a Coolermaster HAF 922 so I guess the airflow is pretty good.
The thermal grease I've used is the Zalman ST-G1. I have applied it to the CPU only (their website suggests that we apply the thermal paste to the heatsink as well but I haven't done so).
Anyway, I'll run Prime95 to check load temps. Just one question: In the "Run a Torture Test" window, which option should I go for? The Small FFTs, the In-place large FFTs, Blend, or custom?
post #2367 of 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelnov600 View Post

It's been a week since I've built my new rig. My case is a Coolermaster HAF 922 so I guess the airflow is pretty good.
The thermal grease I've used is the Zalman ST-G1. I have applied it to the CPU only (their website suggests that we apply the thermal paste to the heatsink as well but I haven't done so).
Anyway, I'll run Prime95 to check load temps. Just one question: In the "Run a Torture Test" window, which option should I go for? The Small FFTs, the In-place large FFTs, Blend, or custom?

use Blend AND keep an eye on your cpu temp (socket). Observed it closely the first 15 - 20 minutes. i use HW Monitor. if and when that temp reaches 60C - stop the test. the other temp you should keep an eye on is the mainboard temp (it could be labeled temp 0, 1, or 2 not sure).
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 290 (2) 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 360/240 10 64 28 2160 
PowerCase
850 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2368 of 2790
I use HW Monitor as well.
Thanks for the tips rdr09
post #2369 of 2790
I got the test running for 20mins and TMPIN1 reached 50C.
The 6 CPU Cores temp didn't go beyond 32F
post #2370 of 2790
If you are getting good temps with HWMonitor and Prime Blend.....
Try using IBT (IntelBurnTest) and set it to Maximum stress, at least 2mb ram, and 7-10 cycles.
As always watch your temps.....
Successful test means your golden.

I use IBT more so than Prime, a) its quicker and b) it test's a little harder (well IMO)
Intel Rig, :D
(12 items)
 
AMD Rig
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H HD 4870 Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
250GB Sata III 500GB Sata II Sony Optiarc 7280s Cooler Mastre Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Cibox 22" OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Casecom K5-9388 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 960T (3.5ghz OC) Gigabyte 970A-UD3 Sapphire HD 7750 1GB Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB 1333mhz DDR3) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB Sata III 64mb AMD Stock Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Cibox 22' 1680x1050 
PowerCase
XFX ProSeries 550w Core Edition Casecom 5788 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Rig, :D
(12 items)
 
AMD Rig
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H HD 4870 Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
250GB Sata III 500GB Sata II Sony Optiarc 7280s Cooler Mastre Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Cibox 22" OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Casecom K5-9388 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 960T (3.5ghz OC) Gigabyte 970A-UD3 Sapphire HD 7750 1GB Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB 1333mhz DDR3) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB Sata III 64mb AMD Stock Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Cibox 22' 1680x1050 
PowerCase
XFX ProSeries 550w Core Edition Casecom 5788 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › AMD Zosma 960T/1600T/1605T CPU Club