Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › [Official] Samsung SSD750/830/840/850 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Samsung SSD750/830/840/850 Owners Club - Page 227

post #2261 of 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by megahmad View Post

I don't understand why the 4K (which is the most important) results are not always the same (when doing 2 consecutive benchmarks), for example you get much higher Sequential write speeds than me but yet my 4K is much higher, also if I was to run the benchmark again on my SSD I would get 40MB/s instead of 110 MB on 4K speed, so not always the same for me.

Can someone explain this to me? or is it just that the AS SSD is not so much reliable software for benchmarking SSDs?

Here's my AS SSD results:

First, he is using two 128GB 840 Pro's in RAID 0, so you can't compare the sequential speeds with a single SSD. Second, he clearly does not have Write Caching enabled, which is not enabled by default.

You may be right about the 840 Pro's 4K write scores in AS SSD, they do seem to be erratic at times. I don't get more than ~20MB/s difference, but I don't test one after another. If you are getting a 4K write speed as low as ~40MB/s, usually the question would be what else was happening on the PC that might cause that, as in another program writing to the SSD while the test was running. It's also possible that your SSD was using the same space that was just written to by the previous test, which has not had a chance to be TRIM'd yet, so must first reset it before writing to it.

AS SSD writes over 2GB to a SSD every time you run it, so constantly running it is not the best for its life span.

How much free space do you have on that SSD? Your offset of 117760000 is unusual, do you have multiple partitions on that drive, or is that a cloned OS copy on it?

Also, your comment about the compressible and incompressible data used in ATTO and AS SSD is true with SSDs using SandForce controllers, and should not affect Samsung SSDs.
post #2262 of 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post

First, he is using two 128GB 840 Pro's in RAID 0, so you can't compare the sequential speeds with a single SSD. Second, he clearly does not have Write Caching enabled, which is not enabled by default.

You may be right about the 840 Pro's 4K write scores in AS SSD, they do seem to be erratic at times. I don't get more than ~20MB/s difference, but I don't test one after another. If you are getting a 4K write speed as low as ~40MB/s, usually the question would be what else was happening on the PC that might cause that, as in another program writing to the SSD while the test was running. It's also possible that your SSD was using the same space that was just written to by the previous test, which has not had a chance to be TRIM'd yet, so must first reset it before writing to it.

AS SSD writes over 2GB to a SSD every time you run it, so constantly running it is not the best for its life span.

How much free space do you have on that SSD? Your offset of 117760000 is unusual, do you have multiple partitions on that drive, or is that a cloned OS copy on it?

Also, your comment about the compressible and incompressible data used in ATTO and AS SSD is true with SSDs using SandForce controllers, and should not affect Samsung SSDs.

Thanks for clearing it up for me, and yes that is another D:\ for "Games" partition, my main partition is C: drive which has the OS.
Canismajor
(20 items)
 
HP g4-2040TX
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3612QM 2.8GHz (Max) HP HM76 AMD HD 7670m 8GB Kingston 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 SSD 120GB HP DVD Burner Stock Windows 7 HP SP1 
MonitorPower
14' 1366x768 AC Adapter 65w 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
486SX 33 MHz idk but compatible with 486 lol 512 KB 4MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250 mb quantum sony 2x cd drive None win 3.1 for minesweeper and DOS for all other w... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Goldstar 14' Some very very old stuff 150w generic Heavy old stuff with lock 
Mouse
a4 tech 1994 edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Canismajor
(20 items)
 
HP g4-2040TX
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3612QM 2.8GHz (Max) HP HM76 AMD HD 7670m 8GB Kingston 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 SSD 120GB HP DVD Burner Stock Windows 7 HP SP1 
MonitorPower
14' 1366x768 AC Adapter 65w 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
486SX 33 MHz idk but compatible with 486 lol 512 KB 4MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250 mb quantum sony 2x cd drive None win 3.1 for minesweeper and DOS for all other w... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Goldstar 14' Some very very old stuff 150w generic Heavy old stuff with lock 
Mouse
a4 tech 1994 edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2263 of 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Actually it's the limit of the media he's using to install from. If he images the discs onto his HDD's it will install at a much faster speed, which is what I do. I put all of my games on my HDD as ISO's then use them to install, simply because HDD's are much faster than optical media. Copying to my SSD is at about 100MB/s (840 has a low write spead) whereas copying from a DVD is at no more than 30.
Oh, I thought he was talking about load times. Didn't read the post correctly.
post #2264 of 5733
I went to Microcenter today and picked up a 120gb 840. Im only on SATA 2 so I know Ill be missing out on some performance, but does this look alright? I was getting 280 mb/s when I very first tested it. I started updating drivers and stuff and it dropped. (fixed) I know this drives max write speed is 130, so Im right on that. Im also maxing out the SATA2 transfer rate on the read. The only thing I dont really have a clue about is the 4k speed benchmark.



Edited by RX7-2nr - 4/19/13 at 11:04pm
post #2265 of 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7-2nr View Post

I went to Microcenter today and picked up a 120gb 840. Im only on SATA 2 so I know Ill be missing out on some performance, but does this look alright? I was getting 280 mb/s when I very first tested it. I started updating drivers and stuff and it dropped. (fixed) I know this drives max write speed is 130, so Im right on that. Im also maxing out the SATA2 transfer rate on the read. The only thing I dont really have a clue about is the 4k speed benchmark.



My 4k writes are higher but I don't know whether that's due to the MSAHCI drivers or your SATA2 limit. Have you tried Intel drivers?
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2266 of 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

My 4k writes are higher but I don't know whether that's due to the MSAHCI drivers or your SATA2 limit. Have you tried Intel drivers?

I havnt done much of anything other than installing the drivers on ASUS's site for my MB. If there is a better driver Ill check it out. Ive seen people mentioning the Intel Rapid Storage driver, but when I look at it on Intel's site its talking about it being a RAID driver so I didnt know if it would do anything for me.
post #2267 of 5733
It is AHCI driver too,its definitely something that you need.
post #2268 of 5733
The MS drivers are basic only, you should see them as no different than the drivers Windows installs for your video card, they may have basic functionality but they're not useful for games as they miss a lot of drivers and functions.

I can't test Intel drivers as I don't have an Intel board but I can say that I found a massive difference between the MS and the AMD ones. The SSD just feels smoother and programs as well as Windows start faster and respond better, there is considerable lag (when I initiate a program and when it's loaded) between when I use the MSAHCI drivers, lag that doesn't exist with the AMD AHCI ones. I highly recommend you try the Intel drivers, you might not only achieve higher benchmark numbers (something I only ran to ensure the drive was working properly) but Windows might actually respond better.
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2269 of 5733
Yes right,MSAHCI driver is from 2006,nobody cant say drivers didnt go further in performance and stability from 2006.
Edited by Unit Igor - 4/20/13 at 4:11am
post #2270 of 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit Igor View Post

It is AHCI driver too,its definitely something that you need.

Omg, thank you for this. I didn't install Intel rapid storage because I thought it was only for RAID. But after this random read went from 71000 iops to 83000 iops with 120gb Samsung 840.
Rig
(13 items)
 
  
Reply
Rig
(13 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › [Official] Samsung SSD750/830/840/850 Owners Club