Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Can you drag files from SSD to mechanical and vice versa?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you drag files from SSD to mechanical and vice versa? - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAlbertoxX View Post

Ah, I'm a prepharm student. I build computers, overclock and other things, but my weaknesses lie with hard drives and programming. Not too knowledgeable in that area.

Funny that, my strengths are those things, so ask away! smile.gif
Ol' Sandy
(28 items)
 
"Zeus"
(12 items)
 
Elite Preview
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK MSI Gaming GTX 980 Kingston 32GB (4x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor PX-256M5S 256GB Samsung EVO 1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 Hitachi HUA722010CLA330 WDC WD10EARS-00Z5B1 TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-TC14PE with TY-140's Lamptron FCv5 (x2) Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell U2412M Dell U2212HM Dell U2713HM Topre Realforce 87UB | Ducky DK9087 G2 Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX-750 Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G700 XTRAC Ripper XXL 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250ohm Schiit Bifrost DAC Schiit Asgard 2 HiVi Swan M50W 2.1 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 Super Micro X9SRL-F-B 128GB 1333MHz LSI 9271-8i 
OSPowerCase
VMware ESXi 5.5 SeaSonic SS-400FL2 Fractal Define R3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3437U HP EliteBook Folio 9470m  Intel HD Graphics 4000  16GB DDR3 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOS
256GB SSD Windows 10 Insider Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol' Sandy
(28 items)
 
"Zeus"
(12 items)
 
Elite Preview
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK MSI Gaming GTX 980 Kingston 32GB (4x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor PX-256M5S 256GB Samsung EVO 1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 Hitachi HUA722010CLA330 WDC WD10EARS-00Z5B1 TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-TC14PE with TY-140's Lamptron FCv5 (x2) Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell U2412M Dell U2212HM Dell U2713HM Topre Realforce 87UB | Ducky DK9087 G2 Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX-750 Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G700 XTRAC Ripper XXL 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250ohm Schiit Bifrost DAC Schiit Asgard 2 HiVi Swan M50W 2.1 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 Super Micro X9SRL-F-B 128GB 1333MHz LSI 9271-8i 
OSPowerCase
VMware ESXi 5.5 SeaSonic SS-400FL2 Fractal Define R3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3437U HP EliteBook Folio 9470m  Intel HD Graphics 4000  16GB DDR3 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOS
256GB SSD Windows 10 Insider Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompsonn View Post

Funny that, my strengths are those things, so ask away! smile.gif

Lol. You've already been much help and I really appreciate it. I also repped you dont know if you noticed, just to let you know I appreciate the help
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAlbertoxX View Post

Lol. You've already been much help and I really appreciate it. I also repped you dont know if you noticed, just to let you know I appreciate the help

I do notice, but its not something I got hunting for wink.gif

But you're welcome!
Ol' Sandy
(28 items)
 
"Zeus"
(12 items)
 
Elite Preview
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK MSI Gaming GTX 980 Kingston 32GB (4x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor PX-256M5S 256GB Samsung EVO 1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 Hitachi HUA722010CLA330 WDC WD10EARS-00Z5B1 TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-TC14PE with TY-140's Lamptron FCv5 (x2) Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell U2412M Dell U2212HM Dell U2713HM Topre Realforce 87UB | Ducky DK9087 G2 Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX-750 Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G700 XTRAC Ripper XXL 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250ohm Schiit Bifrost DAC Schiit Asgard 2 HiVi Swan M50W 2.1 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 Super Micro X9SRL-F-B 128GB 1333MHz LSI 9271-8i 
OSPowerCase
VMware ESXi 5.5 SeaSonic SS-400FL2 Fractal Define R3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3437U HP EliteBook Folio 9470m  Intel HD Graphics 4000  16GB DDR3 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOS
256GB SSD Windows 10 Insider Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol' Sandy
(28 items)
 
"Zeus"
(12 items)
 
Elite Preview
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK MSI Gaming GTX 980 Kingston 32GB (4x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor PX-256M5S 256GB Samsung EVO 1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 Hitachi HUA722010CLA330 WDC WD10EARS-00Z5B1 TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-TC14PE with TY-140's Lamptron FCv5 (x2) Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell U2412M Dell U2212HM Dell U2713HM Topre Realforce 87UB | Ducky DK9087 G2 Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX-750 Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G700 XTRAC Ripper XXL 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250ohm Schiit Bifrost DAC Schiit Asgard 2 HiVi Swan M50W 2.1 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 Super Micro X9SRL-F-B 128GB 1333MHz LSI 9271-8i 
OSPowerCase
VMware ESXi 5.5 SeaSonic SS-400FL2 Fractal Define R3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3437U HP EliteBook Folio 9470m  Intel HD Graphics 4000  16GB DDR3 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOS
256GB SSD Windows 10 Insider Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
I'm going to respond to this, because I don't actually think the solutions here are what the OP was after. I want Steam itself installed on my SSD. So what I'm doing is using the backup feature in Steam to backup my game files so I don't have to re-download them all. Right-click on one of the games you want to backup, choose the backup option. It will ask you if you want to add any other of your currently installed games to the backup file.

From there you can choose the file size, for instance, if you wanted to burn the files to a CD. I simply made one large file and stored it on a storage drive. When I perform my windows install and setup on my SSD, I will download and install Steam as I normally would, but then choose to restore my backup as opposed to re-downloading the files.

Keep in mind, this won't backup save games, so the advice in this thread about the "steamapps" folder would still apply. But this prevents the need for junctions and all that jazz, and would emulate a clean install more closely.
Cavi's Cube
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 PowerColor R9 390 G.Skill Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB Samsung SpinPoint 1TB Silverstone TD02-E Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U2412M EVGA Supernova P2 650W Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
Cavi's Cube
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 PowerColor R9 390 G.Skill Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB Samsung SpinPoint 1TB Silverstone TD02-E Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U2412M EVGA Supernova P2 650W Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi View Post

I'm going to respond to this, because I don't actually think the solutions here are what the OP was after. I want Steam itself installed on my SSD. So what I'm doing is using the backup feature in Steam to backup my game files so I don't have to re-download them all. Right-click on one of the games you want to backup, choose the backup option. It will ask you if you want to add any other of your currently installed games to the backup file.

From there you can choose the file size, for instance, if you wanted to burn the files to a CD. I simply made one large file and stored it on a storage drive. When I perform my windows install and setup on my SSD, I will download and install Steam as I normally would, but then choose to restore my backup as opposed to re-downloading the files.

Keep in mind, this won't backup save games, so the advice in this thread about the "steamapps" folder would still apply. But this prevents the need for junctions and all that jazz, and would emulate a clean install more closely.

You can keep the steam.exe and the steamapps folder alone and drag to whatever part of the PC you want and it will be fine.

Now I have an easy way to have steam on the SSD and the content on any drive.

How to have steam on the SSD while having the games on either the SSD or HDD:
  1. Delete everything in the Steam folder except for the "steam.exe" and the "steamapps" folder
  2. Have the "steam.exe" to a folder made on the C:\ drive (C:\Users\Sean\Steam)
  3. Have the "steamapps" folder on the HDD you want to store your games (D:\User\Program Files\Steam\steamapps)
  4. Make a junction from the "steamapps" folder to the SSD folder with the "steam.exe" in it
  5. Open the "steam.exe" and it will reconfigure steam
  6. Logged in and BAM! All your games are recognized and steam is on the SSD and the games on the other drive.
  7. Now, you can put what ever games you want on the SSD with Steam Mover (or junctions)
  8. Create another folder on the C:\ drive and name it (C:\Users\Sean\Steam Games)
  9. Run Steam Mover and have it move the game to that location and you are done!
  10. Now go play the games you want!
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

You can keep the steam.exe and the steamapps folder alone and drag to whatever part of the PC you want and it will be fine.
Now I have an easy way to have steam on the SSD and the content on any drive.
How to have steam on the SSD while having the games on either the SSD or HDD:
  1. Delete everything in the Steam folder except for the "steam.exe" and the "steamapps" folder
  2. Have the "steam.exe" to a folder made on the C:\ drive (C:\Users\Sean\Steam)
  3. Have the "steamapps" folder on the HDD you want to store your games (D:\User\Program Files\Steam\steamapps)
  4. Make a junction from the "steamapps" folder to the SSD folder with the "steam.exe" in it
  5. Open the "steam.exe" and it will reconfigure steam
  6. Logged in and BAM! All your games are recognized and steam is on the SSD and the games on the other drive.
  7. Now, you can put what ever games you want on the SSD with Steam Mover (or junctions)
  8. Create another folder on the C:\ drive and name it (C:\Users\Sean\Steam Games)
  9. Run Steam Mover and have it move the game to that location and you are done!
  10. Now go play the games you want!

That seems a bit tumultuous though, why separate everything to begin with if you're just going to move things back? Why not just start with things together, and then move with steam mover when needed? Much quicker, and easier to work out initially until you figure out what you can live with on the storage drive.
Cavi's Cube
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 PowerColor R9 390 G.Skill Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB Samsung SpinPoint 1TB Silverstone TD02-E Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U2412M EVGA Supernova P2 650W Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
Cavi's Cube
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 PowerColor R9 390 G.Skill Ripjaws V  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB Samsung SpinPoint 1TB Silverstone TD02-E Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U2412M EVGA Supernova P2 650W Fractal Design Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

You can keep the steam.exe and the steamapps folder alone and drag to whatever part of the PC you want and it will be fine.
Now I have an easy way to have steam on the SSD and the content on any drive.
How to have steam on the SSD while having the games on either the SSD or HDD:
  1. Delete everything in the Steam folder except for the "steam.exe" and the "steamapps" folder
  2. Have the "steam.exe" to a folder made on the C:\ drive (C:\Users\Sean\Steam)
  3. Have the "steamapps" folder on the HDD you want to store your games (D:\User\Program Files\Steam\steamapps)
  4. Make a junction from the "steamapps" folder to the SSD folder with the "steam.exe" in it
  5. Open the "steam.exe" and it will reconfigure steam
  6. Logged in and BAM! All your games are recognized and steam is on the SSD and the games on the other drive.
  7. Now, you can put what ever games you want on the SSD with Steam Mover (or junctions)
  8. Create another folder on the C:\ drive and name it (C:\Users\Sean\Steam Games)
  9. Run Steam Mover and have it move the game to that location and you are done!
  10. Now go play the games you want!

That seems a bit tumultuous though, why separate everything to begin with if you're just going to move things back? Why not just start with things together, and then move with steam mover when needed? Much quicker, and easier to work out initially until you figure out what you can live with on the storage drive.

B/c then you don't need to reinstall or back up anything! Steam can be on the SSD and the games start off on the HDD. I have a huge steam folder and it doesn't fit on my SSD so I would have to do what you said and install/redirect. This way I just need to make two folders and link them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Can you drag files from SSD to mechanical and vice versa?