Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › DGL-4500 - How do I turn it into a wifi repeater?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DGL-4500 - How do I turn it into a wifi repeater? - Page 2

post #11 of 29
I see now.

The reason I asked was because there are a few solutions to the "Modem in basement of 2 story place" problem, and I was in a similar situation at my parents house, and again at a different apartment, but I took different approaches at each.

Plan A is that you just move the modem to the middle floor. In your case, we can't do that.

Plan B you run a cable from the router/WAP to the second floor via the wall, or other pass though, and then hook that to a WAP. This is the approach I took. Your devices then connect to this WAP that has a stronger signal.

Plan C you turn an intermediary WAP into a wireless repeater on the 3rd floor or second depending upon how good the signal is. If you do have some signal on the top floor for laptops, then put the repeater up there; if the signal is so poor that laptops cannot even see it, then you should put the repeater on the 1st floor, and also double check your configs and environment. An apartment I lived at had no internet, and was dependent upon an open network run by the landlord at their house ~100 feet away, so I turned a Linksys WRT-54GL into a repeater, and it worked quite well.

If you can get DD-WRT on the router, then this is the general guide on how to setup a wireless repeater.

Just keep in mind that ipads and smarthphones have significantly worse antenna's then laptops, so even if a laptop has 50% signal, the smartphone might not even be able to see the network at all!
Edited by trueg50 - 12/28/11 at 8:54am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post

I see now.
The reason I asked was because there are a few solutions to the "Modem in basement of 2 story place" problem, and I was in a similar situation at my parents house, and again at a different apartment, but I took different approaches at each.
Plan A is that you just move the modem to the middle floor. In your case, we can't do that.
Plan B you run a cable from the router/WAP to the second floor via the wall, or other pass though, and then hook that to a WAP. This is the approach I took. Your devices then connect to this WAP that has a stronger signal.
Plan C you turn an intermediary WAP into a wireless repeater on the 3rd floor or second depending upon how good the signal is. If you do have some signal on the top floor for laptops, then put the repeater up there; if the signal is so poor that laptops cannot even see it, then you should put the repeater on the 1st floor, and also double check your configs and environment. An apartment I lived at had no internet, and was dependent upon an open network run by the landlord at their house ~100 feet away, so I turned a Linksys WRT-54GL into a repeater, and it worked quite well.
If you can get DD-WRT on the router, then this is the general guide on how to setup a wireless repeater.
Just keep in mind that ipads and smarthphones have significantly worse antenna's then laptops, so even if a laptop has 50% signal, the smartphone might not even be able to see the network at all!

I've looked up the DD-WRT and so far, it's not compatible with the DGL-4500 or even the Dir-655. (Bummer on both counts). But if there was a way to glitch it onto the DGL-4500, then perhaps I could easily setup the repeater (Want to do). I've been trying to get dd-wrt onto it for awhile now, but I have yet to ever see any update for the DD-WRT team to put it on either of the 2 routers... And the DGL-4500 has 2.4 and 5ghz, which i'd most likely set up the repeater on the 2.4 (equal to the dir-655) and continue it, especially from the main / 2nd floor. Then i'd be set/they'd be set.

If there's any sneaky way to put the dd-wrt or any other variant on the DGL-4500... i'm more then happy to test it. As of right now, it's technically not being used, so I can go ahead and "test" anything on it.

- Le_Loup
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 29
Test = brick in this case lol smile.gif
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5000+ BE 3.4G @1.447v DFI 790FX-M2RS Sapphire 3850 8G Corsair XMS2 DHX 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate Win7 Ultimate 64bit Antec TPQ-850 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5000+ BE 3.4G @1.447v DFI 790FX-M2RS Sapphire 3850 8G Corsair XMS2 DHX 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate Win7 Ultimate 64bit Antec TPQ-850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post

Test = brick in this case lol smile.gif

How so? I expect that any other variant of ddwrt would do so, but is there another group online with custom firm? (Have tried the google)

- Le_Loup
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 29
hi
i just bought a new d link dir 855 router for my home to be able to xtend my signal throughtout my flat so i can receive signal where ever as this router is a dual band i wanted to know if anyone could help me on how to use both bands or the 5.0ghz because at the moment when i search to connect wireless i can only seem to find the 2.4ghz and not the higher frequency, so if possible could anyone guide me on ho to either expand my connectivity further and help me tweak my router through the management settings so i may be able to experience the routers full performance please thumb.gif i am open for suggestions and as you can see from this post i am not an expert in this field and require someones assistance who is higher than me to guide me through thanks guys:D
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer2023 View Post

hi
i just bought a new d link dir 855 router for my home to be able to xtend my signal throughtout my flat so i can receive signal where ever as this router is a dual band i wanted to know if anyone could help me on how to use both bands or the 5.0ghz because at the moment when i search to connect wireless i can only seem to find the 2.4ghz and not the higher frequency, so if possible could anyone guide me on ho to either expand my connectivity further and help me tweak my router through the management settings so i may be able to experience the routers full performance please thumb.gif i am open for suggestions and as you can see from this post i am not an expert in this field and require someones assistance who is higher than me to guide me through thanks guys:D

Well to start off making a new topic instead of new post might help tongue.gif
But thats besides the point.
The one thing about dual band is that you have to have a wireless adapter that can support it. (basically a Dual Band Wireless Adapter). As for range basically place it up high since it increases the signal and also the antennas can be pointed to the range where all your devices are.
ESXi Home Box
(6 items)
 
The Workstation.
(16 items)
 
 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Dual L5630 72GB DDR3 RECC 120GB VERTEX 4 + 6TB RAID5 ESXi 6.0 U2 
Other
Dell PowedgeR710  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2.4GHZ Intel Iris Pro 16GB DDR3 256GB PCI-e x2 
OSKeyboardMouse
OSX 10.11 + Win 10 Apple Wireless Keyboard Apple Magic Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
ESXi Home Box
(6 items)
 
The Workstation.
(16 items)
 
 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Dual L5630 72GB DDR3 RECC 120GB VERTEX 4 + 6TB RAID5 ESXi 6.0 U2 
Other
Dell PowedgeR710  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2.4GHZ Intel Iris Pro 16GB DDR3 256GB PCI-e x2 
OSKeyboardMouse
OSX 10.11 + Win 10 Apple Wireless Keyboard Apple Magic Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Loup View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post

Test = brick in this case lol smile.gif

How so? I expect that any other variant of ddwrt would do so, but is there another group online with custom firm? (Have tried the google)

- Le_Loup

Oh, just saying. More of a joke than not smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer2023 View Post

hi
i just bought a new d link dir 855 router for my home to be able to xtend my signal throughtout my flat so i can receive signal where ever as this router is a dual band i wanted to know if anyone could help me on how to use both bands or the 5.0ghz because at the moment when i search to connect wireless i can only seem to find the 2.4ghz and not the higher frequency, so if possible could anyone guide me on ho to either expand my connectivity further and help me tweak my router through the management settings so i may be able to experience the routers full performance please thumb.gif i am open for suggestions and as you can see from this post i am not an expert in this field and require someones assistance who is higher than me to guide me through thanks guys:D

You cannot connect to 2 bands at one time. The 2.4Ghz is for Wireless 'G' and 5.0 is for 'N' and if your computer cant do 'N' then you will not be able to connect.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5000+ BE 3.4G @1.447v DFI 790FX-M2RS Sapphire 3850 8G Corsair XMS2 DHX 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate Win7 Ultimate 64bit Antec TPQ-850 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5000+ BE 3.4G @1.447v DFI 790FX-M2RS Sapphire 3850 8G Corsair XMS2 DHX 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate Win7 Ultimate 64bit Antec TPQ-850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post

Oh, just saying. More of a joke than not smile.gif
You cannot connect to 2 bands at one time. The 2.4Ghz is for Wireless 'G' and 5.0 is for 'N' and if your computer cant do 'N' then you will not be able to connect.

I've done N on 2.4, isn't N typically both? My laptop is N, my work laptop is N, both can do N on 2.4, but only my work (newer by 2yrs) can do N on 5.0. Odd? Dunno...

Still seeking unknown firmware patch software thinger that'll make my dgl-4500 epically unique as a repeater, wap extender, whichever. More then willing to test various attempts at it.

- Le_Loup
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 29
Umm.. i could be wrong. Probably am.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5000+ BE 3.4G @1.447v DFI 790FX-M2RS Sapphire 3850 8G Corsair XMS2 DHX 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate Win7 Ultimate 64bit Antec TPQ-850 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5000+ BE 3.4G @1.447v DFI 790FX-M2RS Sapphire 3850 8G Corsair XMS2 DHX 
Hard DriveOSPower
Seagate Win7 Ultimate 64bit Antec TPQ-850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
No idea's of people beta testing potentially good firmware?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › DGL-4500 - How do I turn it into a wifi repeater?