Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Bioshock Infinite PC Information & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Bioshock Infinite PC Information & Discussion Thread - Page 46

post #451 of 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWRoguE View Post

Anyone else not able to play this game at all? It freezes after I select the difficulty of the game. I'm able to run the benchmark though. I did the verify the integrity of the game and Steam downloaded 8mb but it didn't fix it.
got an overclock on your CPU and what drivers are you on GPU wise.?
post #452 of 889
Yes 4.5 GHz, and 314.22
post #453 of 889
I take it your stable on the overclock, no crashes, ran Prime and all that to test.?
I ask this because I crashed on me too and all I had to do is raise the voltage to my CPU overclock 0.010v.
but I could run AIDA 64 Ext and Prime with no issues.
post #454 of 889
Ok i finished the game. Let me just say ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whitey Bulger
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz AsRock p67 Extreme 4 Sapphire 7950 @ 1100/1550 with 1.181 volts 8GBG.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 3 120gb Hitachi 1TB HDD LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA gelid icy vision-A 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Phanteks  Windows 7 ultimate 27" 1440p Achieva Shimian SteelSeries Merc 
PowerCaseMouse
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W Corsair 600t SE white Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Whitey Bulger
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz AsRock p67 Extreme 4 Sapphire 7950 @ 1100/1550 with 1.181 volts 8GBG.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force GT 3 120gb Hitachi 1TB HDD LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA gelid icy vision-A 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Phanteks  Windows 7 ultimate 27" 1440p Achieva Shimian SteelSeries Merc 
PowerCaseMouse
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W Corsair 600t SE white Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #455 of 889
I'd like to start out by saying that I have not played Bioshock 1 or 2. I actually own the original Bioshock, but didn't get around to playing it.
I know that it was foolish of me not to play it. Part of it was a fear of being scared (fear of fear?). I don't like horror games and when I played the Bioshock demo, the atmosphere really got to me. I know I'm a coward. Guilty as charged.

Luckily for me though, the story of Bioshock Infinite is (somewhat) independent of the original games so when I got the game through the AMD Never Settle Reloaded bundle (wonder how much money they're making off that), I decided to play this one.

We're lucky that Elizabeth can't die, 'cause she will at times carelessly run into a group of enemies. Although the developers did an admirable job making her follow you around in an open world and interact with it, the AI does sometimes slip up.
Most of the time she'll follow right behind you or maybe explore the room you're in, sometimes even helping you find items (it seems like that at least, I don't know if it is intentional) and during combat, she'll take cover behind a nearby wall.
Occasionally, however, she'd completely disappear. Never in a way that impacts your progression, she will simply teleport back when you need her, but it does sort of break immersion when your character tells her something and she's nowhere to be found...
While we're at talking, voice acting in the game is top notch. It seems natural and gets you emotionally invested in the story.

The gameplay is alright. I wouldn't say it's perfect, because I definitely feel that the RPG elements are underused. Weapons and vigors can be upgraded, but if you want both weapon and vigor upgrades, you'll be able to afford neither.
During the game you get potions that upgrade health, shield and vigor, but the potions are hidden most of the time and when I finished the game, I noticed that I had only found roughly 1/3 of the upgrades.
They obviously aren't vital to beating the game, rather they are a bonus for the exploring players, but doesn't it just feel a bit tacked on if it has no major impact?
You also pick up items which you can equip to gain special bonuses, but I never found myself experimenting with various setups and it honestly wouldn't have mattered to me if the items weren't there.
It is somewhat annoying to have to check every single thing you pass for money, health, salt and ammo.
I feel that it would've been better to maybe just make specific "treasure chests" so as to still encourage exploration of the city, but not slow down the game by forcing players to loot after every fight.
While playing, I was reluctant to use money on weapon upgrades out of fear that I'd soon get a new weapon that made the first obsolete or that the starter weapons would disappear.
The devs obviously considered that and all weapons spawn every once in a while throughout the game, but you're probably still better off not purchasing upgrades for the starter pistol.
You are also often forced to scavenge for other weapons when you run out of ammo (and you will do that a lot) which means that you can't focus on one or two weapons and be safe.
You could focus one weapon and then keep that permanently, not exchanging it when it runs out of ammo, but many of the fights require more ammo than you can contain in one weapon so you'll be at a disadvantage when carrying an empty weapon.

Shooting mechanics are decent. When shooting from the hip, the bullets are well centered at first, but spread more and more with continous fire. Weapons allow you to aim down sight to increase accuracy, but in reality it turned out to be counterproductive for anything but long range sniping.
It is simply so much easier to track your targets when firing from the hip that the accuracy loss is a small tradeoff. Recoil upgrades help a lot, but I can't help but think that bullet spread should be increased for hip fire and recoil reduced when aiming down sight to encourage use of the sights.
Of course, the current mechanics much better allow a run 'n' gun play style which suits the game and particularly the high speed chases on the "skylines" which I'll explain in a minute.
I found that there were some Vigors I used a lot and some I never used. I often lacked an incentive to use new vigors, particularly because I would have to pour money into them to upgrade them.
The devs did make sure that all of the vigors had a weakness (one or more enemies they can't hurt) which forces you to switch once in a while unless you can simply gun down your enemy without any vigors.
The skylines are immense fun to use.

Overall, I found the difficulty to range quite a lot depending on the encounter. When I could fly around on a skyline and pick off enemies from the air, I was practically invincible, but on the ground I relatively often died, especially when fighting a lot of different types of enemies at once.
I found myself rarely using cover though so perhaps that's why I died. I've seen a lot of talk about the game being too easy, but did not get that impression personally. In general it seemed just right with me occasionally dying but never getting frustrated.
For me, the goal of a story-driven game like this is not to be a huge challenge, but rather to tell the story. Even if it were easy to beat I wouldn't fault the game for it.

Summary:
Great story and enjoyable gameplay. Great voice acting and atmosphere. Great story as well. Good shooting mechanics and thrilling skyline chases. Really great story.
Underused RPG elements, occasionally weak AI, game length padded by unnecessary looting.
Edited by B!0HaZard - 3/31/13 at 5:38pm
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #456 of 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by welly321 View Post

See this is why I'd never pay $60 bucks for this game. I played it and almost beat it and absolutely love it. Probably one of the better story driven FPS i've ever played. But the most I'll get from it is 25 hours or so with two playthroughs. Thats not worth $60 bucks to me. Now something like skyrim or BF3, I have no problem paying 60 bucks for. And before you ask, no I did not pirate it. Came with video card I got for my birthday.

I used to justify my purchases on how much time I spend playing them but for singleplayer only titles it's not a good idea. For multiplayer it can be, if you spend 100's of hours on an online title it's probably good fun and doesn't get boring quickly but for singleplayer you're limited by the length of the story. Obviously certain singleplayer games avoid that by having side missions that can be repeated forever, or they have a full sandbox environment for the game world where you can pretty much do as you please. My issue is if the developers start stretching the game out, the story and gameplay can suffer dramatically and you'll end up having less fun but for a longer time, which in my opinion would make the game worse value for money. I tend to come back to games every 6 months or so, so I'll usually get a ton of playtime out of a title regardless of its length. However I wouldn't keep playing a game that I didn't enjoy so I prefer it that a game is a decent length but really good rather than an average one that lasts ages. For that reason I don't have a problem with spending a lot of money on a singleplayer game if I really enjoy it. I can understand your argument though, it does feel like a lot of money for not much entertainment at times, but if it is quality entertainment then it's worth supporting the developers.

Edit:

@ B!0HaZard

Just to pick up on a few points in your post.

Agreed on the points about Elizabeth - I had her occasionally teleport to be in the right position but most of the time it wasn't an issue. I liked the fact that they had her act somewhat natural while sticking with you.

I was able to upgrade both my weapons fully along with both vigors fully and still had $1000's left afterwards, I did loot everything though. I tried a few different setups for the outfit stuff - stuck with the ones that gave me the most damage output with headshots as I was using low ROF high damage weapons. I was able to stick with those guns throughout though, never had any ammo issues until the final fight, even then wasn't bad though. I only used the hand cannon and the sniper rifle, before I had those I mainly just used the piston and melee. I agree with the fact that a bit more hip spread would be nice - I always used the sights but that was mainly because I had a damage boost for doing so. The vigors were interesting although I didn't use them much except for emergencies - for that reason I used charge and bucking bronco. I cant help feeling the bucking bronco one is a little overpowered though as I could make every enemy chase me, make them levitate and then just shoot them all in the head, or I could use melee to save ammo.

The skylines were good fun, it was nice to use them to flank people or get to a new spot where I could pick them off no trouble, even combat while using them was fun and added a new dimension for sure.

What difficulty did you play on? I played medium and the only time I died throughout the whole game was when I jumped off to try and kill myself. The first thing I upgraded fully was the shield, followed by salts, had 4 points in health by the end too I think. Every time the shield went I waited for it to recharge in cover, so maybe I was just being careful. Fully agree with you on enjoying a game regardless of the difficulty, I find with story driven games if it frustrates me I never get immersed in the story.
Edited by Fusion Racing - 3/31/13 at 5:54pm
Wingman Fuzzi
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.6GHz 1.37v Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Zotac GTX 680 @ 1215/3005MHz (347.09) 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB + 850 1TB + Intel 520 240GB Samsung F3 1TB Thermalright Venomous X w/ FM122 Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM 1920x1080 @ 60Hz Ducky Shine II (Blues w/ White Backlight) Corsair HX 620W Fractal Design XL (Black Pearl) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
MX518 Steelseries QcK+ Creative X-FI Xtreme Music Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
Wingman Fuzzi
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.6GHz 1.37v Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Zotac GTX 680 @ 1215/3005MHz (347.09) 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB + 850 1TB + Intel 520 240GB Samsung F3 1TB Thermalright Venomous X w/ FM122 Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM 1920x1080 @ 60Hz Ducky Shine II (Blues w/ White Backlight) Corsair HX 620W Fractal Design XL (Black Pearl) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
MX518 Steelseries QcK+ Creative X-FI Xtreme Music Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #457 of 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion Racing View Post

I used to justify my purchases on how much time I spend playing them but for singleplayer only titles it's not a good idea. For multiplayer it can be, if you spend 100's of hours on an online title it's probably good fun and doesn't get boring quickly but for singleplayer you're limited by the length of the story. Obviously certain singleplayer games avoid that by having side missions that can be repeated forever, or they have a full sandbox environment for the game world where you can pretty much do as you please. My issue is if the developers start stretching the game out, the story and gameplay can suffer dramatically and you'll end up having less fun but for a longer time, which in my opinion would make the game worse value for money. I tend to come back to games every 6 months or so, so I'll usually get a ton of playtime out of a title regardless of its length. However I wouldn't keep playing a game that I didn't enjoy so I prefer it that a game is a decent length but really good rather than an average one that lasts ages. For that reason I don't have a problem with spending a lot of money on a singleplayer game if I really enjoy it. I can understand your argument though, it does feel like a lot of money for not much entertainment at times, but if it is quality entertainment then it's worth supporting the developers.

Good post. I feel the same way. It's a fantastic , memorable game. I'm happy to spend $60 to support a developer who produces such a high quality, polished, and entertaining game.
New Build 2016
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 - 6700k ASUS Z170 Deluxe MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 32 GB Gskill TridentZ DDR4 3400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SSD EVO 850 1TB Enermax CPU Cooler Windows 10 Acer 1440p Gsync 144HZ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair 1000W Gold Enthoos Luxe R.A.T. 7 
Audio
Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
New Build 2016
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 - 6700k ASUS Z170 Deluxe MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 32 GB Gskill TridentZ DDR4 3400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SSD EVO 850 1TB Enermax CPU Cooler Windows 10 Acer 1440p Gsync 144HZ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G710+ Corsair 1000W Gold Enthoos Luxe R.A.T. 7 
Audio
Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
post #458 of 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion Racing View Post

@ B!0HaZard

Just to pick up on a few points in your post.

Agreed on the points about Elizabeth - I had her occasionally teleport to be in the right position but most of the time it wasn't an issue. I liked the fact that they had her act somewhat natural while sticking with you.

I was able to upgrade both my weapons fully along with both vigors fully and still had $1000's left afterwards, I did loot everything though. I tried a few different setups for the outfit stuff - stuck with the ones that gave me the most damage output with headshots as I was using low ROF high damage weapons. I was able to stick with those guns throughout though, never had any ammo issues until the final fight, even then wasn't bad though. I only used the hand cannon and the sniper rifle, before I had those I mainly just used the piston and melee. I agree with the fact that a bit more hip spread would be nice - I always used the sights but that was mainly because I had a damage boost for doing so. The vigors were interesting although I didn't use them much except for emergencies - for that reason I used charge and bucking bronco. I cant help feeling the bucking bronco one is a little overpowered though as I could make every enemy chase me, make them levitate and then just shoot them all in the head, or I could use melee to save ammo.

The skylines were good fun, it was nice to use them to flank people or get to a new spot where I could pick them off no trouble, even combat while using them was fun and added a new dimension for sure.

What difficulty did you play on? I played medium and the only time I died throughout the whole game was when I jumped off to try and kill myself. The first thing I upgraded fully was the shield, followed by salts, had 4 points in health by the end too I think. Every time the shield went I waited for it to recharge in cover, so maybe I was just being careful. Fully agree with you on enjoying a game regardless of the difficulty, I find with story driven games if it frustrates me I never get immersed in the story.

I used Bucking Bronco as well, mainly because I thought it was hilarious to see the enemies drift helplessly through the air.

I don't know which difficulty I played on honestly. I assume it was hard though, I usually play on hard. Going to replay on 1999 mode.

As I said, I only got a few of the Infusions. Had 3 points in health, ~5 in shields and 2-3 in Vigors.
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
M1XN
(18 items)
 
Study Zenbook
(5 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K @ 4.2 GHz ASUS Maximus VI Impact MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 2400 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 64 GB Crucial M4 128 GB SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T 2 TB LiteOn DL-8ATSH 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-C14 Windows 10 64-bit ViewSonic VP2770 Vortex Pok3r 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 V2.5 Logitech G502 SteelSeries QcK+ 
AudioOther
HiFiMan HE-400 Logitech C920 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3317 GT 620M 2 GB soldered + 8 GB Corsair OCZ Vertex 3 120 
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #459 of 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by welly321 View Post

Hate to break it to you but that 240hz TV is useless as far as gaming is concerned. The 240hz isnt an actual refresh rate. It just adds in extra frames to simulate 240hz. When you game on it, its still at 60hz. A 120hz computer monitor is actual 120hz refresh rate but TV's dont work like that. atleast not yet.

Pish posh. Either way it was a noticeably better gaming experience. I plan on building a second computer for my office and keeping my gaming rig in front of the tele.thumb.gif
post #460 of 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descadent View Post

All it does is add input lag in games.

Saw zero input lag, my friend. Ran silky smooth compared to my aging 2407 Dell monitor.

Edit: I am running it in 'game mode'.
Edited by Xymox007 - 3/31/13 at 7:13pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Official] Bioshock Infinite PC Information & Discussion Thread