Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [FZ] Nvidia partners concerned about AMD's 28nm lead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[FZ] Nvidia partners concerned about AMD's 28nm lead - Page 6

post #51 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

NVIDIA is absolutely killing AMD in the very high-margin and growing GPGPU world though.
GCN is a great attempt by AMD to address this.... but they lack software support!

Duckie that may be true. Nvidia has the overwhelming lead in the HPC market. However, he was also talking about the AIB's livelihood. I do not think all of Nvidia's AIB profit from HPC.
post #52 of 116
Unless Nvidia can prove huge improvements of kelper over the 7970/7990, most enthusiasts wont wait until Q3 for a Nvidia card. Most of the hardcore enthusiasts (And there buying $500+ cards, so its pretty much all of them) will choose not to wait and just upgrade strait to the 7970.

Unless Nvidia can show something worth waiting for, this could be a problem in market share for them this generation. I'm also concerned about them being late in future generations as well.
post #53 of 116
damnit, i wanted an nvidia card this round of upgrading (already got an x79 platform in the mail). i guess i'll go amd because nvidia is hecka late to the game -- again.
Green Lantern
(18 items)
 
 
The Router 3.0
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 3.8GHz 1.25v HT Asus P6T XFX 5870 XFX 5780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX Intel X25-M 80GB G2 10Tb iSCSI Lite-On 1635S 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Asus PA246 Logitech G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 1000HX Lian Li v1000+ Logitech G5 v1 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
Other
Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5335 Intel Xeon L5335 Intel 5000P ATI ES1000 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
Elpida ECC WD20NPVT SmartOS HP 350W + Hot Spare 
Case
HP Proliant 380 G5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ nForce 3 250 2 GB 512MB CF To IDE 
OSCaseOtherOther
pfSense 2.0.1 x64 Shuttle XPC Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server A... Verizon FiOS 75/35Mbit 
  hide details  
Reply
Green Lantern
(18 items)
 
 
The Router 3.0
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 3.8GHz 1.25v HT Asus P6T XFX 5870 XFX 5780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX Intel X25-M 80GB G2 10Tb iSCSI Lite-On 1635S 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Asus PA246 Logitech G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 1000HX Lian Li v1000+ Logitech G5 v1 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
Other
Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5335 Intel Xeon L5335 Intel 5000P ATI ES1000 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
Elpida ECC WD20NPVT SmartOS HP 350W + Hot Spare 
Case
HP Proliant 380 G5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ nForce 3 250 2 GB 512MB CF To IDE 
OSCaseOtherOther
pfSense 2.0.1 x64 Shuttle XPC Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server A... Verizon FiOS 75/35Mbit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post

Many of you forget the uses of these cards outside of gaming and such. People who go with Nvidia typically go with them because of their performance and support, especially when it comes with dev questions.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20110513155252_John_Carmack_Modern_Graphics_Cards_from_AMD_or_Nvidia_are_Insanely_Powerful.html

We remember this article right? Right?
Code:
Even though Mr. Carmack does not give any recommendations for buyers, he claims that the hardware from a vendor that better supports game designers can potentially offer better solutions to end users.

Now, the next paragraph is the best, at least I think so.
Code:
When you have got the dev-relation team that is deeply intertwined with the development studio, that tends to make your hardware, in some cases, come out better than what it truly is, because it’s got more 
of the software side behind it

I'm sure this reflects on the fact that Nvidia has a bigger market share in this area. They've been doing it longer than ATi and definitely doing the discrete graphics longer than AMD. Not to mention they have a much better workstation line than AMD has, or ever will have. They work on Windows, OSX, and Linux, to give a developer a full range of solutions.

I can build a CAD workstation in linux, almost no software cost and so I have a nice hardware budget. Who would I get? It's obvious, no matter what you say for a clean simple experience Nvidia is my solution. I've got a OSX workstation and need an upgrade, the only thing outside of an apple branded part is re-flashing a Nvidia branded one. Oh look, that works out real nice.

That's 2 of the 3 main operating systems, and unlike the consumer/enthusiast world those markets aren't dominated by one solution so it's open. Not to mention audio and video are probably going to be closely related in media production, so your more likely to use a non-MS based product giving you one of the only options: Nvidia. That's based purely off their OGL support, which I don't know a person who understands this who would say AMD has better OGL than Nvidia right now.

So really, how bad is this for Nvidia? This is pittens, that's what.


Lol^

You = Everyone?



U need a dose of reality bro. Who cares about linux and video cards? Honestly.. I caanot name 5 people who run a linux box (I run 2), so no matter how obscure and crafty u are, you comments don't mirror the population. Therefore are insignificant.
post #55 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldExclusive View Post

You're on the right track.
5870 wasn't a threat to Nvidia, Nv was it's own enemy with the PR gaffe and 6 month delay. With another possible six month delay, one or some AIB partners may do what happened in early 2010.
BFG and XFX were suffocating from the six month delay of Fermi, while ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte were enjoying nice profits from the 4000/5000 series.
XFX decided to make ATI cards full time after their 4000 series test, and Nvidia frowned upon that and cut them off. The were also rumors of BFG going ATI, but they stuck with Nvidia.
I guess the rumors of BFG going ATI were enough to cut them off also, but this was after BFG stated they were getting Fermi, which never happened and they went out of business.
After that, Nvidia threatened to make their own branded video cards, but this was more a sign of force to EVGA, Galaxy, PNY, Palit and any other AIB partner not to defect in the future.
Which brings us to today, if Nvidia doesn't have working Kelper card ready to ship by March, you could see one of those AIB partners above go AMD or go out of business.
Why Asus, Gigiabyte and MSI didn't suffer the same fate? They make motherboards etc. that's essential to the PC business and helps Nvidia with other tech i.e. NF200 and SLI compatibilty.
XFX stopped making motherboards so they were expendable.

Look some one agrees w/ me. You know why its true. I agree with the above, again its true. That still does NOT make us fans bois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkatral View Post

Regardless if what kind of nvidia loyalist you are, you absolutely must recognize that AMD did in fact get the upper hand, the 7970 has people drooling, and this DOES look bad for them. Did I say it would kill them? No. They will, however, feel it in the morning.


How can a product that is not yet released have the upper hand?its rhetorical. It cant and does not. Not for 3 more days. Look who is calling the kettle black.
AMD will have 3 months the 5870, 150 days. Fermi launched in March. When will Kepler launch (Me Guessing) end of March, PAX e same as fermi.
It's the same time lines!
MyCleanPC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS MAXIMUS VI EVGA master blaster Corsair Vengence  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ SSD raid0 samsung Win 7 Samsung 
PowerCase
Enermax rev 1050 Stacker 832 
  hide details  
Reply
MyCleanPC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASUS MAXIMUS VI EVGA master blaster Corsair Vengence  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ SSD raid0 samsung Win 7 Samsung 
PowerCase
Enermax rev 1050 Stacker 832 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by noak View Post

Unless Nvidia can prove huge improvements of kelper over the 7970/7990, most enthusiasts wont wait until Q3 for a Nvidia card. Most of the hardcore enthusiasts (And there buying $500+ cards, so its pretty much all of them) will choose not to wait and just upgrade strait to the 7970.

Unless Nvidia can show something worth waiting for, this could be a problem in market share for them this generation. I'm also concerned about them being late in future generations as well.
And if they are true hardware enthusiasts, they will then sell 7970s and buy nvidia (if it is stronger), when they come out rolleyes.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8120, and a bunch more AM3/AM2+ Crosshair V, Crosshair IV Lots of green Dominator GT 
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
Dominator GT Perfect Storm M4 64Gb Dihydrogen monoxide, Carbon dioxide, Liquid Nit... 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
OCN Marksman pot k|ngp|n F1 Dark pot Stripped Xp Antec 1200W HCP 
Case
Dimastech Hard 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8120, and a bunch more AM3/AM2+ Crosshair V, Crosshair IV Lots of green Dominator GT 
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
Dominator GT Perfect Storm M4 64Gb Dihydrogen monoxide, Carbon dioxide, Liquid Nit... 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
OCN Marksman pot k|ngp|n F1 Dark pot Stripped Xp Antec 1200W HCP 
Case
Dimastech Hard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by noak View Post

Unless Nvidia can prove huge improvements of kelper over the 7970/7990, most enthusiasts wont wait until Q3 for a Nvidia card. Most of the hardcore enthusiasts (And there buying $500+ cards, so its pretty much all of them) will choose not to wait and just upgrade strait to the 7970.
Unless Nvidia can show something worth waiting for, this could be a problem in market share for them this generation. I'm also concerned about them being late in future generations as well.

I guess that i and few other that know some more information about next gen cards FROM Nvidia, will wait for their new cards. Even if i didnt know it, i would wait.

You say that enthusiasts wont wait because of AMD now stepping in with new cards and Nvidia holding off. This would be fair and right to say if both companies just produced Graphic cards that have same funtion and same technoogy, and both companies would be fighting for the best made card.

But the reality is different. The reason why its all different is because in fact people like me have to wait for Nvdia cards, because they have no other choice. Please, on the other hand, dont view us as a group of rebels that have their green master that bound them to them because of XX and that we are in a so said slavery of any form. Its actually the right opposite.

People like me got 3D monitors. 3D Televisions You know, its also about peoples standards. All i can say for those that cant decide if they should go for AMD or Nvidia, wait. Wait a bit more and you will be surprised. I wish i could say more, but i simply cant.

However, if you dont "truly" rely on Nvidia cards lets say, theres actually nothing stopping you from going RED, is it.
MSI GT780DXR-099
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Sandy Bridge i7-2760QM 3,5Ghz Intel® HM67 Express Chipset Nvidia GeForce GTX 570M 1.5GB GDDR5 16GB DDR3, 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Scorpio Black 750Gb, 7200rpm RAID 0 WD Scorpio Black 750Gb, 7200rpm RAID 0 IC Diamond Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
17,3 1920x1080 Matte Roccat Isku 9-Cell 7800 mAh Aluminium + Solid Plastic 
MouseMouse PadOtherOther
Roccat KONE+ Roccat SENSE blue Roccat Valo CoolerMaster CF-19 Laptop Cooler 
OtherOtherOther
Belkin Cush top Case Laptop Keyboard by Steelseries Laptop Sound by DYNAudio 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X3440 @3,8 Ghz MSI Big Bang-Fuzion GIGABYTE GTX570 Geil Value+ 2x2GB DDR3, 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500 Gb Samsung F1 TB WD External 500 Gb Coolermaster 212+ 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Gigabyte Stock cooler Noctua Fans Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit Acer GD245HQbid + 3D Vision Kit + 3D Glasses 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Roccat Isku SEASONIC X-750W (80Plus Gold) CM Elite 430 - Black Ed.(cheap crap) Roccat KONE+ 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Sense Realtek Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
MSI GT780DXR-099
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Sandy Bridge i7-2760QM 3,5Ghz Intel® HM67 Express Chipset Nvidia GeForce GTX 570M 1.5GB GDDR5 16GB DDR3, 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Scorpio Black 750Gb, 7200rpm RAID 0 WD Scorpio Black 750Gb, 7200rpm RAID 0 IC Diamond Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
17,3 1920x1080 Matte Roccat Isku 9-Cell 7800 mAh Aluminium + Solid Plastic 
MouseMouse PadOtherOther
Roccat KONE+ Roccat SENSE blue Roccat Valo CoolerMaster CF-19 Laptop Cooler 
OtherOtherOther
Belkin Cush top Case Laptop Keyboard by Steelseries Laptop Sound by DYNAudio 2.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X3440 @3,8 Ghz MSI Big Bang-Fuzion GIGABYTE GTX570 Geil Value+ 2x2GB DDR3, 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung F3 500 Gb Samsung F1 TB WD External 500 Gb Coolermaster 212+ 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Gigabyte Stock cooler Noctua Fans Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit Acer GD245HQbid + 3D Vision Kit + 3D Glasses 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Roccat Isku SEASONIC X-750W (80Plus Gold) CM Elite 430 - Black Ed.(cheap crap) Roccat KONE+ 
Mouse PadAudio
Roccat Sense Realtek Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 116
Knowing nvidia, kepler at release will not have all the shaders that were originally specified, it will run very hot, and be a power hog.
post #59 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowness View Post

I guess that i and few other that know some more information about next gen cards FROM Nvidia, will wait for their new cards. Even if i didnt know it, i would wait.
You say that enthusiasts wont wait because of AMD now stepping in with new cards and Nvidia holding off. This would be fair and right to say if both companies just produced Graphic cards that have same funtion and same technoogy, and both companies would be fighting for the best made card.
But the reality is different. The reason why its all different is because in fact people like me have to wait for Nvdia cards, because they have no other choice. Please, on the other hand, dont view us as a group of rebels that have their green master that bound them to them because of XX and that we are in a so said slavery of any form. Its actually the right opposite.
People like me got 3D monitors. 3D Televisions You know, its also about peoples standards. All i can say for those that cant decide if they should go for AMD or Nvidia, wait. Wait a bit more and you will be surprised. I wish i could say more, but i simply cant.
However, if you dont "truly" rely on Nvidia cards lets say, theres actually nothing stopping you from going RED, is it.

You also have 3d vision club, green machine club, and gtx 500 club in your sig, I guess thats kinda cute.

Well I guess thats a sign that you're completely honest and absolutely a trustworthy source. And completely objective. Yeahhh.
post #60 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

we need a ban on fudzilla.

Heh I've been saying this for years. Either way I'll never move from Nvidia. My last ATI - now obviously AMD card was my super old X600XT AIW card. Those All-In-Wonder cards were pretty awesome back in the day, before digital TV and QAM came into the picture.

Either way, since AMD bought ATI, their drivers have sucked hard core. Nvidia has nothing to worry about and is in a far better position than AMD in the graphic card department when it comes to revenue between their consumer desktop and their workstation and Tesla cards.
Gemini
(26 items)
 
 
Computer/Office
(4 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe PNY Nvidia GeForce GTX 680  CORSAIR XMS3 1333Mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3R - RAID 1 (1 TB) Western Digital Green EARS (1 TB) Western Digital Green EARS (1.5 TB)  Western Digital My Passport Elite USB 2.0 (640GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital My Book Essential USB 3.0 (2 TB) LG GBC-H20L Blu-ray Asus DRW-1814BLT CORSAIR H80 Push/Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Dual 200mm Fans / Dual 120mm Fans Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Dell UltraSharp U2412M (24") - Primary Dell UltraSharp U2412M (24") - Secondary 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 CORSAIR 650D Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
XTRAC Ripper  Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatality Champion Series Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones  Logitech Z-2300 THX Cert 2.1 System 
OtherOther
Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 Cyber Power CP1500AVRT 900Watt UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz Intel HM77 NVIDIA Geforce GTX 675M & Intel HD 4000 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x HGST 1TB 7200 RPM HD's RAID 0 MATSHITA BD-RE 6X Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit with Media Center 17.3" 1920x1080 Matte  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries  180 Watt A/C and 9 Cell Battery Allant Black Carrying Case for 17.3" Notebook M... Razer Orochi 2013 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Razer - Kabuto DynAudio speakers and sub with Realtek HD ALC ... Asus Xonar U3 USB DAP/Sound Card w/ Sony XBA-4 ... Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 
  hide details  
Reply
Gemini
(26 items)
 
 
Computer/Office
(4 photos)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe PNY Nvidia GeForce GTX 680  CORSAIR XMS3 1333Mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3R - RAID 1 (1 TB) Western Digital Green EARS (1 TB) Western Digital Green EARS (1.5 TB)  Western Digital My Passport Elite USB 2.0 (640GB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital My Book Essential USB 3.0 (2 TB) LG GBC-H20L Blu-ray Asus DRW-1814BLT CORSAIR H80 Push/Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Dual 200mm Fans / Dual 120mm Fans Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Dell UltraSharp U2412M (24") - Primary Dell UltraSharp U2412M (24") - Secondary 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 CORSAIR 650D Logitech G500 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
XTRAC Ripper  Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatality Champion Series Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones  Logitech Z-2300 THX Cert 2.1 System 
OtherOther
Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 Cyber Power CP1500AVRT 900Watt UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz Intel HM77 NVIDIA Geforce GTX 675M & Intel HD 4000 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x HGST 1TB 7200 RPM HD's RAID 0 MATSHITA BD-RE 6X Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit with Media Center 17.3" 1920x1080 Matte  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries  180 Watt A/C and 9 Cell Battery Allant Black Carrying Case for 17.3" Notebook M... Razer Orochi 2013 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Razer - Kabuto DynAudio speakers and sub with Realtek HD ALC ... Asus Xonar U3 USB DAP/Sound Card w/ Sony XBA-4 ... Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [FZ] Nvidia partners concerned about AMD's 28nm lead