Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Switching Between Mice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Switching Between Mice

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I currently have a wireless Logitech M510, but because I am getting into PC gaming I want to buy a good wired gaming mouse like a Deathadder or G500. I share a computer with my mom who is an architect who does almost all of her work on the computer using drawing programs. She really doesn't want a wired mouse because she said the drag the cord causes makes her hand sore after a few hours of use.

All that aside, my main question is what is the best way to switch between mice so that when I want to game I can use a wired mouse, and when she wants to work she can use a wireless mouse. Can I have both mice plugged in but just turn off the one I don't want to use? Because my computer is under a desk it is a pain to have to go to the back and plug in wires so I would like to not have to do this. Any help is appreciated.
post #2 of 13
i am pretty sure you can just leave them both plugged and use them one at a time.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
You barley feel the cord on a wired mouse. The added weight of the battery on her wireless mouse probably would put more strain on her hand than a wire.

I have a G500 and it is a fairly comfortable mouse. I would recommend a Xai though as mine gives me far better control due to its shape and sensor placement. The Xai also has far better build quality than a G500 or DeathAdder. For any laser mouse I would also recommend a good hard pad such as a 4HD. The Steelseries Sensei is also worth checking out.

To answer your question about the mice, you can plug in as many mice as you have usb ports. It doesn't make a difference.
Edited by james_ant - 1/8/12 at 11:24am
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by microman View Post

i am pretty sure you can just leave them both plugged and use them one at a time.

Ok, do most wired mouses have an actual on-off switch so there is no way it can accidentally move the cursor?
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleB123 View Post

Ok, do most wired mouses have an actual on-off switch so there is no way it can accidentally move the cursor?

No they don't.
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ant View Post

You barley feel the cord on a wired mouse. The added weight of the battery on her wireless mouse probably would put more strain on her hand than a wire.
I have a G500 and it is a fairly comfortable mouse. I would recommend a Xai though as mine gives me far better control due to its shape and sensor placement. The Xai also has far better build quality than a G500 or DeathAdder. For any laser mouse I would also recommend a good hard pad such as a 4HD. The Steelseries Sensei is also worth checking out.
To answer your question about the mice, you can plug in as many mice as you have usb ports. It doesn't make a difference.

Ok, thanks. I said the same thing about the cord, but she said when she had a wired mouse she could notice it. I think it is partly because my computer is below the mouse so you have to pull the weight of the cord up if that makes sense.
post #7 of 13
I hate using corded mice after having used my Mamba for a year now. Sometimes I have to cord it when it runs out of batteries, and I can really feel the tension. Plus, my desktop isn't clean, and it's really bothersome when the cord catches on things.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ant View Post

You barley feel the cord on a wired mouse. The added weight of the battery on her wireless mouse probably would put more strain on her hand than a wire.


This.

The cord doesn't matter unless your cords are super tangled or something stupid that is fixed just by untangling it.

The easiest solution is just plug both in, and if u have to take out the batteries of the wireless if it bothers her cuz she bats it around or w/e. The main thing is how crazy/OCD your mom is which Im sure you know. If your mom is gonna flip out just try to find some solution where she thinks she won so you don't lose access or create problems. If she is reasonable explain to her how the cord doesn't matter and how to set up a bungee. I'm not trying to be a jerk but when I hear something like "a mouse cord hurts my hand" it says the problem isnt with the mouse. I had to deal with all sorts of craziness like this growing up and your best bet is to just go with it until you can get your own PC and try to satisfy w/e whims your mom wants even if it sound stupid or makes no sense, for your own sake.

I could be completely misreading this too but thats my perspective lol.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleB123 View Post

Ok, thanks. I said the same thing about the cord, but she said when she had a wired mouse she could notice it. I think it is partly because my computer is below the mouse so you have to pull the weight of the cord up if that makes sense.

I CAN feel a corded mouse when using it. I can tell the difference on my g700 when it's charging with the usb cable. Most mice have a slight resistance and tug when connected and I always felt I had to pick the mouse up and pull like a fishing pole to get some slack. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradus View Post

I hate using corded mice after having used my Mamba for a year now. Sometimes I have to cord it when it runs out of batteries, and I can really feel the tension. Plus, my desktop isn't clean, and it's really bothersome when the cord catches on things.

Same here. That's the reason I got the R.A.T. 9 because I can't stand the cord on the g700 while charging it.

BTW: I have both mice connected and both work fine when in use.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Biz View Post

I CAN feel a corded mouse when using it. I can tell the difference on my g700 when it's charging with the usb cable. Most mice have a slight resistance and tug when connected and I always felt I had to pick the mouse up and pull like a fishing pole to get some slack. .
Same here. That's the reason I got the R.A.T. 9 because I can't stand the cord on the g700 while charging it.
BTW: I have both mice connected and both work fine when in use.

All you gotta do is make sure you have that slack at all times by either keeping the cord above the desk using anything or wrapping it around a monitor. I use a Razer Abyssus which is one of the lightest mice around so any cord tug feels huge and annoying and makes me rage. That or make a bungee, but seriously the cord doesnt feel like anything when its above my desk and I use swipes full arm swipes for FPS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Switching Between Mice