Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread - Page 1006

post #10051 of 38704
So,

Since I'm back and active on these forums after several months. What have I missed regarding these cards? I'm waiting for my computer to get here once my dad tears my computer apart to ship it to me. Wha have we learned about these cards since I've been back?

I know one of my cards couldn't get to 1125 no matter what voltage I pumped through it nor if I kept the fan at 100% to keep it cool. The other however hit 1200mhz with very very small voltage bump.

Any hopes or a way I could reach 1200mhz on both cards by chance? That was my ultimate goal before I shipped. Also, how are the new drivers on these? I know they were terrible in crossfire for skyrim. Stuttering all over the place. I also know I had random crashes in heavy games like BF3.

Waiting for my computer and getting one of those Korean 27'' IPS panels as well.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600K Asus Maximus IV Extreme AMD Radeon 7970 AMD Radeon 7970 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16gb Gskill 1866mhz Vertex 3 240gb. 1TB Seagate 7200. 160gb WD 7200. LG 24x DVD XSPC Raystorm, MCP655, Frozen-Q Tvirus, RS360mm... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 24'' 1080p by Asus Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair 1000watt HX Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Razer Mamba Razer Ironclad Razer Megalodon's  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 2600K Asus Maximus IV Extreme AMD Radeon 7970 AMD Radeon 7970 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16gb Gskill 1866mhz Vertex 3 240gb. 1TB Seagate 7200. 160gb WD 7200. LG 24x DVD XSPC Raystorm, MCP655, Frozen-Q Tvirus, RS360mm... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 24'' 1080p by Asus Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair 1000watt HX Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 800D Razer Mamba Razer Ironclad Razer Megalodon's  
  hide details  
Reply
post #10052 of 38704
@Manooloo
Np, glad i can help.
Cheers.
Edited by sena - 4/29/12 at 12:46pm
Green Hell
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 6950X @ 4.3 GHz 1.35V Asus Rampage V Extreme Edition 10  GTX 1080 @ 2.1 GHz GTX 1080 @ 2.1 GHz 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair LPX 128 GB 3200 MHz Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Fully custom watercooling system Windows 10 Pro Acer Predator XB321HK Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2013 Edition 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AXi 1500W Corsair 900D Razer Mamba Asus ROG Strix Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
Green Hell
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 6950X @ 4.3 GHz 1.35V Asus Rampage V Extreme Edition 10  GTX 1080 @ 2.1 GHz GTX 1080 @ 2.1 GHz 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair LPX 128 GB 3200 MHz Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Fully custom watercooling system Windows 10 Pro Acer Predator XB321HK Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2013 Edition 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AXi 1500W Corsair 900D Razer Mamba Asus ROG Strix Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10053 of 38704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsagna View Post

So,
Since I'm back and active on these forums after several months. What have I missed regarding these cards? I'm waiting for my computer to get here once my dad tears my computer apart to ship it to me. Wha have we learned about these cards since I've been back?
I know one of my cards couldn't get to 1125 no matter what voltage I pumped through it nor if I kept the fan at 100% to keep it cool. The other however hit 1200mhz with very very small voltage bump.
Any hopes or a way I could reach 1200mhz on both cards by chance? That was my ultimate goal before I shipped. Also, how are the new drivers on these? I know they were terrible in crossfire for skyrim. Stuttering all over the place. I also know I had random crashes in heavy games like BF3.
Waiting for my computer and getting one of those Korean 27'' IPS panels as well.

The new Sapphire Trixx/Mod for VRAM voltage seems to work the best as it is allowing up to 1.384v target on stock bios. No hassle with previous ASUS bios which allowed 1.4v target, however had worse performance. However the cards will be different/a hassle sometimes as even my setup has problems from time to time, and I'm only running 1 gpu.

Don't know if running that kind of voltage will help, but it might. For me it only causes problems, but I have seen on in this thread people actually maintaining it, at least for a bench or two. For drivers the best seem to be: Dual GPU, RC11, 7870 release driver, or 14.7 beta. Single Gpu; Most are working but, 7870 release, and both 12.4 betas are featuring MLAA 2.0 which is vastly improving AA quality/performance IMO.

Hope this helps. Side note finally fixed my artifacts for my 7970, lowering Power level to +10% instead of +20% did the trick.
ATIntel
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5-2500K Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Msi 7970 Ref. HIS R9 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB G. Skill Intel 330 SSD Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Go Flex USB 3.0 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony CD Noctua D-14 Windows 8 Samsung 24" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Mushkin Enhanced 1000W Lian Li Dragonlord Logitiech Wireless 
Audio
Asus D1 
  hide details  
Reply
ATIntel
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5-2500K Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Msi 7970 Ref. HIS R9 280x 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB G. Skill Intel 330 SSD Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Go Flex USB 3.0 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony CD Noctua D-14 Windows 8 Samsung 24" 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Mushkin Enhanced 1000W Lian Li Dragonlord Logitiech Wireless 
Audio
Asus D1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10054 of 38704
'lo there folks.

I recently upgraded to X79, and found out that one of my 7970s was causing me all the issues (I had thought it was drivers / motherboard, turns out it was my second 7970, being bad the whole time). Now... I seem to be having some new issues. I recently realized that my second GPU was doing nothing... And I mean nothing. It works, but then when I go to game, it dies out. 0MHz core, and 0 MHz Memory, and my whole computer freezes and crashes (Without a blue screen no less).
All Event Viewer says is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Everything is back to full stock. I also tried switching my cards in the Sabertooth, and found that no matter what, it's always the second card doing it. Could I have a bad Motherboard?

I got a photo of it with my GPU-Zs up:
450

Anyone else experiencing these issues? Any help would be much appreciated! smile.gif Or could this simply be GPU-Z not liking to read second GPUs?

[EDIT] Forgot to mention- I'm on RC11 drivers
Edited by Diber - 4/29/12 at 2:56pm
post #10055 of 38704
nvm.
It's alive!
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-7700k Asus ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO Z270 bios: 0906 Gigabyte 7950 3GB @1050/1550MHz G.Skill "Trident Z RGB" F4-3866C18D-16GTZR 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB OS 830 256GB  2xWD Caviar Black 640GB 64MB WD Caviar Green 1TB 64MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Intel 600p 256GB LG DVD drive CPU: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: Accelero Xtreme 7970 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 64bit ASUS 27" LED VE278Q  BenQ 22" Logitech 710+ MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850W NZXT Switch 810 White Logitech G500 Steelseries 9HD 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus Logitech Z523 2.1 Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω Samson C01U mic 
Other
Asus RT-N66U 'Dark Knight' Router 
  hide details  
Reply
It's alive!
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-7700k Asus ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO Z270 bios: 0906 Gigabyte 7950 3GB @1050/1550MHz G.Skill "Trident Z RGB" F4-3866C18D-16GTZR 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB OS 830 256GB  2xWD Caviar Black 640GB 64MB WD Caviar Green 1TB 64MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Intel 600p 256GB LG DVD drive CPU: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: Accelero Xtreme 7970 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 64bit ASUS 27" LED VE278Q  BenQ 22" Logitech 710+ MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850W NZXT Switch 810 White Logitech G500 Steelseries 9HD 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus Logitech Z523 2.1 Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω Samson C01U mic 
Other
Asus RT-N66U 'Dark Knight' Router 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10056 of 38704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Not a bad run for stock voltage...
169
Run using the settings from the Official Metro Benchmark thread in the benchmarking section. Beats Tri-SLI 580's again with stock voltage! These 7970's aren't too shabby! thumb.gif

Still benching and showing your e-penis are you? wink.gif
I thought you were sick of these cards and going 680 ?
I bet your e-penis will be alot smaller if you moved over tongue.gif
My Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4,5GHz, 1.33v Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Sapphire HD7950 OC Edition @ 1130 / 1550, 1.150v 8GB Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 @ DDR3-1600, 9-9-9... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 830 Series Desktop Upgrade Kit Sony Optiarc 24x DVDRW AD-7280S Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B 2x Front intake fans 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
1x Large intake side fan 1x Back exhaust fan Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 Samsung SyncMaster 2494hm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Media Keyboard 600 Corsair Enthusiast TX850M Corsair Carbide 500R Black Logitech G5 Laser Mouse 
AudioAudio
Realtek High Definition Audio AMD High Definition Audio Device 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4,5GHz, 1.33v Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Sapphire HD7950 OC Edition @ 1130 / 1550, 1.150v 8GB Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 @ DDR3-1600, 9-9-9... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
1x Samsung 830 Series Desktop Upgrade Kit Sony Optiarc 24x DVDRW AD-7280S Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B 2x Front intake fans 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
1x Large intake side fan 1x Back exhaust fan Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 Samsung SyncMaster 2494hm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Media Keyboard 600 Corsair Enthusiast TX850M Corsair Carbide 500R Black Logitech G5 Laser Mouse 
AudioAudio
Realtek High Definition Audio AMD High Definition Audio Device 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10057 of 38704
Not sick of the cards at all, just the hassle of overvolting...
post #10058 of 38704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diber View Post

'lo there folks.

I recently upgraded to X79, and found out that one of my 7970s was causing me all the issues (I had thought it was drivers / motherboard, turns out it was my second 7970, being bad the whole time). Now... I seem to be having some new issues. I recently realized that my second GPU was doing nothing... And I mean nothing. It works, but then when I go to game, it dies out. 0MHz core, and 0 MHz Memory, and my whole computer freezes and crashes (Without a blue screen no less).
All Event Viewer says is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Everything is back to full stock. I also tried switching my cards in the Sabertooth, and found that no matter what, it's always the second card doing it. Could I have a bad Motherboard?

I got a photo of it with my GPU-Zs up:
450

Anyone else experiencing these issues? Any help would be much appreciated! smile.gif Or could this simply be GPU-Z not liking to read second GPUs?

[EDIT] Forgot to mention- I'm on RC11 drivers

The card dropping to zero is actually working properly on the desktop. ULPS shuts off un-used cards. Now when you are in games, the card is supposed to power up. At this point it comes down to how or if you are overclocking and with what app. How are you overclocking if at all? You should also use afterburner and setup the OSD to monitor gpu stats to see if that bad card truly is bad. If you're overclocking with AB, you need to shutoff ULPS, so the fact that the card is shutdown, leads me to think you are not using AB in typical UOM mode.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10059 of 38704
I've been tempted to buy a Sapphire Dual X 7970, but have read Newegg reviews where people comment on coil whine.

Can anybody here on the forums confirm whether or not they've experienced any coil whine with this particular model of 7970?
 
Alienware 14
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4700mq Alienware Nvidia GTX765m 8GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 500GB DVD Windows 8 14" 1080P IPS 
Power
150W 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Alienware 14
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4700mq Alienware Nvidia GTX765m 8GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 500GB DVD Windows 8 14" 1080P IPS 
Power
150W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10060 of 38704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffie82 View Post

Still benching and showing your e-penis are you? wink.gif
I thought you were sick of these cards and going 680 ?
I bet your e-penis will be alot smaller if you moved over tongue.gif

..."e-penis?"

that just sounds soooo filthy and wrong...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread