Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread - Page 233

post #2321 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumdace View Post

Whats so wrong with a placebo effect? Obviously if the person listening thinks it sounds better, they get more enjoyment out of it. Isnt that why people spend so much on stuff (whether video cards or audio gear), for their enjoyment of their hobby?
I mean its obviously different for video cards because you have hard data to prove, but its just a whole different game when it comes to audio.
And when I say cheap cables, i mean cheeeeap. I had dollar store RCA cables going to my Littledot MK3 and when I ordered some premium RCA from monoprice (still pretty cheap, like 10 bucks) I did notice a night and day difference in sound quality. Obviously Im not gonna throw $100 into an RCA cable, but you cant honestly say dollar store cables compare to a good $10-20 pair of cables.

You're framing a scenario that supports the statement you want to make.

Anyways, I can sell you some acoustic pebbles for your audiophile setup, lemme know. thumb.gif


http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina17.htm



http://audiojunkies.com/forum/blog/4391-will-gullible-audiophiles-buy-absolutely-anything.html
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2322 of 38701
"Monster" Cables are the biggest scam in a/v equipment. They have been caught numerous times with unscrupulous business practices and it is proven their cable quality is par or sub par compared to other cheaper brands.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/23/monster-hdmi-difference-scam-still-kickin-in-frys-electronic/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/26/monster-cable-at-it-again-sues-mini-golf-company/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

Now back to finding a way to unlock the voltage regulator on this 7970 card! tongue.gif
Liquid Blue
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600k @ 4.7ghz Gigabyte P67A-UD4_B5 Msi 1080 ti Founder's Edition 16gb Corsair Vengence 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Crucial M5 512 GB CPU: XSPC Raystorm h2o GPU: XSPC Razor 1080 ti Full block Windows 10 x64 
MonitorPowerCase
LG 34UC98 Mushkin Enhanced Joule 1000 NZXT Switch 810 Full Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid Blue
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600k @ 4.7ghz Gigabyte P67A-UD4_B5 Msi 1080 ti Founder's Edition 16gb Corsair Vengence 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Crucial M5 512 GB CPU: XSPC Raystorm h2o GPU: XSPC Razor 1080 ti Full block Windows 10 x64 
MonitorPowerCase
LG 34UC98 Mushkin Enhanced Joule 1000 NZXT Switch 810 Full Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2323 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTON View Post

It all depends on what you're going for. My case, mobo, ram, tubing, are all black, so I wen't with acetal. Throw in some shiny fittings, and a nickel-plated cpu block and it's a quiet, sleek, look.

My next build, which this card is going into, I will have to accommodate the looks of this block to fit the rest.
I hope I get it nice looking, and that people think it's a cool setup smile.gif

I might use both 480 rads I have laying in it biggrin.gif

I have the case, but I'm yet to dremel it etc. I'm waiting for some fans from the GT group buy, and at the same time I can wait for the next Intel cpu thumb.gif

But I have some work ahead now, since I have to drain this system and all the rest to add this card with the block.

Many are saying that they won't buy a waterblock for this card. If you have never watercooled, you don't know how fun it is. I even have to warn people there is a risk of being addicted to it biggrin.gif (I'm not the only one that thinks that tongue.gif)

And the silence, wonderful!

I don't buy a gfx card each year though, so it makes up for a better investment then for me.

I can understand those that buy the newest gpu each year are hesitant getting a full sized block, and don't want to get into water cooling just because of this card. But cpu blocks are pretty much universal, even at times new sockets may require you to buy a new mounting plate. But they are usually not so expensive. There are also universal gpu blocks, but that wasn't necessary the case now? Or can you buy a bracket for those now for these card?
post #2324 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfc89 View Post

This may be true but I feel a little bit better running expensive cable from my marantz receiver then lamp cord. Call it whatever you wan't lol. Now we are mainly basing this discussion on video cable not audio. Do you still think a quality component or dp/hdmi cable makes no difference in the quality of the video signal reaching your tv/monitor?

In digital transmission cables, if a 1 is recognized as 1, and 0 for 0, and at the correct timing, it doesn't matter even if you were to use a watertub for Dp/Hdmi cables biggrin.gif
Edited by NorxMAL - 1/27/12 at 9:25am
post #2325 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You're framing a scenario that supports the statement you want to make.
Anyways, I can sell you some acoustic pebbles for your audiophile setup, lemme know. thumb.gif
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina17.htm
http://audiojunkies.com/forum/blog/4391-will-gullible-audiophiles-buy-absolutely-anything.html

And you are framing a scenario to support the statement you want to make, which is that audiophiles are gullible.

I am far from gullible.

And the scenario wasnt framed, its a legitimate scenario. Some people buy the cheapest stuff they can find, and then wonder why some people prefer to spend a little more money.

I could tell you that I had less problems with my 97 Dodge Stratus that I bought 6 years ago that had 210K km on it than I have so far with my 2012 Ford Focus. And thats true. However, I get more enjoyment out of my Ford because of all the advantages it has over my old stratus.

We can keep developing scenarios left and right, and using metaphors all day long. What it all comes down to is that people will do whatever they wish to get the most out of their hobby. What gives anyone the right to say that what they are doing is wrong?
Edited by Tumdace - 1/27/12 at 9:33am
post #2326 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfc89 View Post

Just want to ask all those who are overclocking reference cards. Was it worth it for the minimal gains 10-15 fps? Seems like it causes nothing but problems. Crashing, over heating, loud fan speeds, driver problems, artifacts in games. What a mess if you ask me. Hell some people are getting rid of their cards from oc frustration. Is a stable smooth running stock clocked card not enough? This thread alone has convinced me to wait for a decent oc'd non reference card and leave it the hell alone. I understand the challenge aspect of pushing the card but what a headache.

What? Overclocking is why we are here. Having some crashes, BSOD's, freezes or whatever comes to US is better than running stock and letting a card capable of 1200/1700 run at 925/1375 for no reason other than ease. Non-reference has it's own problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyatom View Post

my card OC poorly. I am only able to reach 1150mhz core clock with 1174v. I can't even reach 1170mhz core with 1300v max frown.gif
I ran OCCT to test stability and 1150mhz is good enough?

What are your temps with 1300mv and what are you using to test?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque View Post

New score with Quad-Fire 4X 7970 and EK waterblocks.
Energy savings LOL! biggrin.gif

Wow man... That is one insane setup. Congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim-187 View Post

^
Nice going to the Extreme..... Do u even game bro ? lol
Gorgeous RIG, but why dont you use 8x AA in Heaven? I believe you should thumb.gif
Also i noticed its 1680 x 1050 ?
Can we have a maxxed out version pls? ty

Because the defaults are what everyone runs the program at so it's an equal playing field. If he maxes it out, it'll drop his score to say 3000 when really his score should be 5200. It's like everyone writing the same test so nobody gets an easier/harder version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezerteagle323 View Post

I've finally reached the 1200/1600 plateau on my card on air ... had to up the voltage to 1.237 (it would crash before on those same clocks at 1.117 - 1.2v) ... played 6 hours of BF3 ultra and everything was smooth butter ... max temp 66C with AB fan profile
I have a 1.112v class card (78.3% asic)

That is very similar to my card. I haven't found my "max" yet but right now running 1200/1600. I'm running 1260mv. with max temps around 70 C. Same ASIC quality too lol.
Main Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7970 1200/1600 8GB GSKILL SNIPER 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 LG 24X SATA Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell 22/24/22 LCDs 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Toughpower 1000watt 108A Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QCK+ XFI XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.8ghz Asus P8P67 Deluxe Sapphire 7970 1200/1600 8GB GSKILL SNIPER 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex 4 LG 24X SATA Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell 22/24/22 LCDs 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Toughpower 1000watt 108A Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QCK+ XFI XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2327 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumdace View Post

And you are framing a scenario to support the statement you want to make, which is that audiophiles are gullible.
I am far from gullible.
And the scenario wasnt framed, its a legitimate scenario. Some people buy the cheapest stuff they can find, and then wonder why some people prefer to spend a little more money.
I could tell you that I had less problems with my 97 Dodge Stratus that I bought 6 years ago that had 210K km on it than I have so far with my 2012 Ford Focus. And thats true. However, I get more enjoyment out of my Ford because of all the advantages it has over my old stratus.
We can keep developing scenarios left and right, and using metaphors all day long. What it all comes down to is that people will do whatever they wish to get the most out of their hobby. What gives anyone the right to say that what they are doing is wrong?

It's more like unnecessary?

Lamp cord look like poo, but good looking cables makes everything seem much better. Especially for people that have the same interest in high end hifi or people that don't know that fact.
post #2328 of 38701
Why does my memory clock always increase to 1375 after a while (if stock speeds) when there is no need to?

I have to load profile 1 in AB (which is stock speeds) to bring it down to dormant again. I don't want unnecessary heat.
post #2329 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumdace View Post

And you are framing a scenario to support the statement you want to make, which is that audiophiles are gullible.
I am far from gullible.
And the scenario wasnt framed, its a legitimate scenario. Some people buy the cheapest stuff they can find, and then wonder why some people prefer to spend a little more money.
I could tell you that I had less problems with my 97 Dodge Stratus that I bought 6 years ago that had 210K km on it than I have so far with my 2012 Ford Focus. And thats true. However, I get more enjoyment out of my Ford because of all the advantages it has over my old stratus.
We can keep developing scenarios left and right, and using metaphors all day long. What it all comes down to is that people will do whatever they wish to get the most out of their hobby. What gives anyone the right to say that what they are doing is wrong?

You're using anecdotal evidence as fact. What we're doing is educating people who don't know. I'm not really sure what your argument is except to be a contrarian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorxMAL View Post

It's more like unnecessary?
Lamp cord look like poo, but good looking cables makes everything seem much better. Especially for people that have the same interest in high end hifi or people that don't know that fact.

Unnecessary is a good way of putting it, though I'd lean towards wasteful.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2330 of 38701

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You 7970 guys (me too and I have) should head over to TPU and put a word in the RBE request thread. C'mon put two and two together so Bagz will add 7970 support to RBE sooner than later.
>>>>http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57157

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

I don't think it will be any easier for 79xx series. Looks like will need "green light" to be able to pass the multi-lock.......... Remember how we are not able to edit clocks in 6xxx series as in 5xxx or previous series.


You actually can edit clocks, it just won't apply to successive cards in a cfx set. But that isn't even the purpose, it's to give us the ability to set voltage!!! You can override Overdrive limits via the registry as racerx showed us.


1. There's no problem to have higher clock limits of 2000/2500 MHz for core and memory in CCC. This is the tool from AMD; AMD Radeon HD 7970 (reference) Xtreme OC BIOS: http://91.121.148.119/downloads/VGAB...Dec20_2011.exe

 

2. There's OVP (Over Voltage Protection) of fixed +125mV over various types of ASIC. AMD is not going to let average users altering this for simple reason; RMA is killing the business.

 

3. For non average users with extreme cooling (LN2, DICE, Phase, Chiller), can overcome this BIOS locked with simple modding. They know what they are doing and can tap into motherboad (X79) BIOS to alter the 7970 voltage. Here's how to do it; http://www.mediafire.com/?mu5rldjxxapt9w1

 

4. There seem to be ASIC VID mismatched from the 4 identified in Tweak Apps such as Afterburner, Asus Tweak, Trixx (have seen few cases here with very high quality ASICs but bad overclocker). They will come out with fixes without the need of RBE.

 

5. We can now use Afterburner, Trixx, Asus Tweak along with Power Tune +20%.

 

I could be wrong, but couldn't think of a reason for RBE to by pass multi-lock at BIOS-Driver level. There's nothing left for average users to modify in BIOS.

 

2cents.gif


Edited by Ken1649 - 2/4/12 at 11:25pm
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread