Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread - Page 347

post #3461 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by frick View Post

Using a program like HW Info, you can get a readout of the actual core voltage of a 7970. For me (1.05V stock voltage and 83% ASIC quality), regardless of whether I set the voltage in Afterburner to 1.175 or 1.3, it looks like the core voltage peaks around 1.18 (this is running loops of Crysis 2, which typically takes the GPU up to 98-99% usage). Additionally, at a core clock of 1200, I've noticed that setting the voltage to 1.175 is actually more stable (i.e., I never get a "black screen crash") than setting it to 1.2 or 1.225. Not sure if this is some sort of overcurrent protection built into the card (or whether it can be bypassed with a BIOS flash), but it seems like people with stock VIDs of 1.175 have fewer problems overvolting past 1.2V and thus are able to attain core clocks of 1250+ more easily.

I have the same situation, stock VID 1.05V ASIC 82,9%. Setting voltage higher than 1.174V doesnt help in overclocking.
I do extensive testing for two weeks now (bought card 20th january) and my favourite and fastest way for testing stability is Crysis2 upgraded to DX11 and High resolution textures.
At settings that was stable for OCCT for 30min, Crysis 2 crashes after 5 minutes

At 3Dmark, Heaven and different weak tests the card was stable even at 1220MHz. At Crysis 2 I cannot get higher than 1140MHz ,crashes after severeal runs of Timedemo. (Times Square)

Found sweet spot - 1125MHz at 1.149V
Edited by lothar - 2/7/12 at 12:45am
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte HD 7970OC 4x4GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2x1TB Seagate, 2x3TB Seagate LG Bluray ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 140 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 PL HP ZR2740w Logitech Illuminated Corsair AX650 
CaseAudio
Thermaltake Xaser VI (Black-Red) SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte HD 7970OC 4x4GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2x1TB Seagate, 2x3TB Seagate LG Bluray ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 140 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 PL HP ZR2740w Logitech Illuminated Corsair AX650 
CaseAudio
Thermaltake Xaser VI (Black-Red) SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3462 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post

I have the same situation, stock VID 1.05V ASIC 82,9%. Setting voltage higher than 1.174V doesnt help in overclocking.
I do extensive testing for two weeks now (bought card 20th january) and my favourite and fastest way for testing stability is Crysis2 upgraded to DX11 and High resolution textures.
At settings that was stable for OCCT for 30min, Crysis 2 crashes after 5 minutes
At 3Dmark, Heaven and different weak tests the card was stable even at 1220MHz. At Crysis 2 I cannot get higher than 1140MHz ,crashes after severeal runs of Timedemo. (Times Square)
Found sweet spot - 1125MHz at 1.149V

So how do I find core voltage?

Afterburner and trixx say 1.174, but gpu-z shows 1.050v when I run heavy games with stock speed.

I'm now testing 1150/1375 and stock volts, now gpu-z shows 1.08-1.1v
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 5820k Stock clocks Gigabyte X99 UD4 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FE SLI  Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengean... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 530 M.2 SSD 180GB OS + Samsung 850 EVO st... Mugen 4 push pull Win 7 64bit home prem Acer 27" XG270HU 144hz TN + LG Oled 4k TV 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA T2 1600W Fractal XL R2 CM Xornet Steelseries Qck+ 45cm black 
Audio
Sennheiser RS185 wireless headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 5820k Stock clocks Gigabyte X99 UD4 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FE SLI  Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengean... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 530 M.2 SSD 180GB OS + Samsung 850 EVO st... Mugen 4 push pull Win 7 64bit home prem Acer 27" XG270HU 144hz TN + LG Oled 4k TV 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA T2 1600W Fractal XL R2 CM Xornet Steelseries Qck+ 45cm black 
Audio
Sennheiser RS185 wireless headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3463 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

So how do I find core voltage?
Afterburner and trixx say 1.174, but gpu-z shows 1.050v when I run heavy games with stock speed.
I'm now testing 1150/1375 and stock volts, now gpu-z shows 1.08-1.1v

Only GPU-Z shows real voltages. Of course it depends on GPU core load.
At extreme load it drops even below 1.02 (at 1.174V setting)
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte HD 7970OC 4x4GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2x1TB Seagate, 2x3TB Seagate LG Bluray ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 140 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 PL HP ZR2740w Logitech Illuminated Corsair AX650 
CaseAudio
Thermaltake Xaser VI (Black-Red) SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte HD 7970OC 4x4GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2x1TB Seagate, 2x3TB Seagate LG Bluray ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 140 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 PL HP ZR2740w Logitech Illuminated Corsair AX650 
CaseAudio
Thermaltake Xaser VI (Black-Red) SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3464 of 38701
How's everyone doing with their 7970s?

Just wanted to pop back in here after going through all the rigorous overclock and benchies, and finally enjoying some BF3 gaming out of these suckers. Seems like the hardest I can push these two in CF is 1175/1575, and anything after will crash. With my first single card, I was able to get it to 1250/1600, I guess my second one is more of a dud, but that's alright. I didn't try my second one by itself to see how far it'll go. Not that it matters now, but my first card is a 86% quality and second card 87%, so that's cool that they're that close.

For gaming wise, since I'm only on a 1920x1080 Dell U2311h, I leave it at a mere 1025/1475 clock at stock 1.05 stock voltage. Gotta keep the heat and mainly, fan noise down. I have my fan profile set to 37% max fan speed and it never passes 85c on a long session of BF3 on the top card. I know, that's a bit hot, but 40% fan is too loud for me. redface.gif

So yeah, is everyone who bought these when it first came out still trying to bench and push them or are you guys finally just sitting back and enjoying these monsters.
post #3465 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post

Only GPU-Z shows real voltages. Of course it depends on GPU core load.
At extreme load it drops even below 1.02 (at 1.174V setting)

I have also Powercolor, do you have powertune 20% when the vcore is 1.02v?

I played HL2 on eyefinity ~100% core load, the game did not feel smooth at 1150/1375, I might go back down to 1075/1375.
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 5820k Stock clocks Gigabyte X99 UD4 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FE SLI  Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengean... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 530 M.2 SSD 180GB OS + Samsung 850 EVO st... Mugen 4 push pull Win 7 64bit home prem Acer 27" XG270HU 144hz TN + LG Oled 4k TV 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA T2 1600W Fractal XL R2 CM Xornet Steelseries Qck+ 45cm black 
Audio
Sennheiser RS185 wireless headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 5820k Stock clocks Gigabyte X99 UD4 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FE SLI  Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengean... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 530 M.2 SSD 180GB OS + Samsung 850 EVO st... Mugen 4 push pull Win 7 64bit home prem Acer 27" XG270HU 144hz TN + LG Oled 4k TV 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA T2 1600W Fractal XL R2 CM Xornet Steelseries Qck+ 45cm black 
Audio
Sennheiser RS185 wireless headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3466 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

I have also Powercolor, do you have powertune 20% when the vcore is 1.02v?
I played HL2 on eyefinity ~100% core load, the game did not feel smooth at 1150/1375, I might go back down to 1075/1375.

Yes I have Powertune set to +20%. (In both CCC and new AB 2.2.0 beta 12)
But Powertune doesn't touch voltages - only throttles GPU core clock during high loads (amperage)
Try 1125 MHz biggrin.gif
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte HD 7970OC 4x4GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2x1TB Seagate, 2x3TB Seagate LG Bluray ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 140 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 PL HP ZR2740w Logitech Illuminated Corsair AX650 
CaseAudio
Thermaltake Xaser VI (Black-Red) SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz ASUS P8Z77-V Gigabyte HD 7970OC 4x4GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2x1TB Seagate, 2x3TB Seagate LG Bluray ThermalRight TRUE Spirit 140 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 PL HP ZR2740w Logitech Illuminated Corsair AX650 
CaseAudio
Thermaltake Xaser VI (Black-Red) SB X-Fi Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3467 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiL11o6 View Post

How's everyone doing with their 7970s?
Just wanted to pop back in here after going through all the rigorous overclock and benchies, and finally enjoying some BF3 gaming out of these suckers. Seems like the hardest I can push these two in CF is 1175/1575, and anything after will crash. With my first single card, I was able to get it to 1250/1600, I guess my second one is more of a dud, but that's alright. I didn't try my second one by itself to see how far it'll go. Not that it matters now, but my first card is a 86% quality and second card 87%, so that's cool that they're that close.
For gaming wise, since I'm only on a 1920x1080 Dell U2311h, I leave it at a mere 1025/1475 clock at stock 1.05 stock voltage. Gotta keep the heat and mainly, fan noise down. I have my fan profile set to 37% max fan speed and it never passes 85c on a long session of BF3 on the top card. I know, that's a bit hot, but 40% fan is too loud for me. redface.gif
So yeah, is everyone who bought these when it first came out still trying to bench and push them or are you guys finally just sitting back and enjoying these monsters.

I really only set mine to about 975/1375, and have been using mine for the purpose I bought it for: gaming.

Ive always just bought my buddy's old video cards after he upgraded, the last real brand new video card I purchased was an 8800GT, so its nice to finally be able to push some games to the max.

Actually thinking of getting a 2nd so I can just max everything and not have to worry.
post #3468 of 38701
ALL 7970s are locked to VID +0.125v MAX. If you use a higher voltage then this, it won't help you OC more. Even if you can raise your voltage over that limit, it's not doing anything... even if you think it is... wink.gif

We are waiting for utilities (if they ever do it, since RBE seems to be DOA...) to ''unlock'' that limit...
    
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-5930k @ 4.9  i7-3930k @ 5.1 (2nd rig) Asus Rampage V (X99) + Asus Rampage IV (2nd rig) 2X Nvidia 1080 Ti SLI watercooled 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2X Nvidia 980 Ti SLI watercooled (2nd rig)  4X8GB=32GB G.Skill DDR4-2700 4X4GB=16GB Ripjaws DDR3 2400 CL9 (2nd rig) 3X Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 250GB 3XSeagate 3TB LG Blu-ray writer 2X Quad-120 MCR420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2X Triple-120 MCR320 + 1X Triple-120 Feser 2X Dual-120 XSPC RX240 32 Gentle Typhoon fans (mix of 3000 and 1850rpm) Reservoir 2X Koolance RP-452x2 with 4X MCP655 p... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2X EK Supreme HF CPU waterblock Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU IPS G-Sync 2440p (main rig) 3X 30'... CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S MX blue switch, C... 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCP1200 + AX850 dual PSU main rig, AX120... Mountain Mods Extended Ascension + Pedestal 24 ... Logitech G502 x 2 PSB speakers 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-5930k @ 4.9  i7-3930k @ 5.1 (2nd rig) Asus Rampage V (X99) + Asus Rampage IV (2nd rig) 2X Nvidia 1080 Ti SLI watercooled 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2X Nvidia 980 Ti SLI watercooled (2nd rig)  4X8GB=32GB G.Skill DDR4-2700 4X4GB=16GB Ripjaws DDR3 2400 CL9 (2nd rig) 3X Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 250GB 3XSeagate 3TB LG Blu-ray writer 2X Quad-120 MCR420 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2X Triple-120 MCR320 + 1X Triple-120 Feser 2X Dual-120 XSPC RX240 32 Gentle Typhoon fans (mix of 3000 and 1850rpm) Reservoir 2X Koolance RP-452x2 with 4X MCP655 p... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2X EK Supreme HF CPU waterblock Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU IPS G-Sync 2440p (main rig) 3X 30'... CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S MX blue switch, C... 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCP1200 + AX850 dual PSU main rig, AX120... Mountain Mods Extended Ascension + Pedestal 24 ... Logitech G502 x 2 PSB speakers 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3469 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque View Post

ALL 7970s are locked to VID +0.125v MAX. If you use a higher voltage then this, it won't help you OC more. Even if you can raise your voltage over that limit, it's not doing anything... even if you think it is... wink.gif
We are waiting for utilities (if they ever do it, since RBE seems to be DOA...) to ''unlock'' that limit...

As a total newbie, this seems to be the issue I am having. I have a 1.025v chip and it seems the "lowest" amount of OC voltage I can apply through GPU Tweak or Trixx is 1.170... I think that is why I can't get more than 1075 core. I'd like to be able to apply a small voltage increment as I think that is all the card needs to go higher. Something like 1.05v, but I can't seem to find a way to do that. Am I missing something?
Edited by mpiscitello - 2/7/12 at 6:49am
post #3470 of 38701
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiL11o6 View Post

How's everyone doing with their 7970s?
Just wanted to pop back in here after going through all the rigorous overclock and benchies, and finally enjoying some BF3 gaming out of these suckers. Seems like the hardest I can push these two in CF is 1175/1575, and anything after will crash. With my first single card, I was able to get it to 1250/1600, I guess my second one is more of a dud, but that's alright. I didn't try my second one by itself to see how far it'll go. Not that it matters now, but my first card is a 86% quality and second card 87%, so that's cool that they're that close.
For gaming wise, since I'm only on a 1920x1080 Dell U2311h, I leave it at a mere 1025/1475 clock at stock 1.05 stock voltage. Gotta keep the heat and mainly, fan noise down. I have my fan profile set to 37% max fan speed and it never passes 85c on a long session of BF3 on the top card. I know, that's a bit hot, but 40% fan is too loud for me. redface.gif
So yeah, is everyone who bought these when it first came out still trying to bench and push them or are you guys finally just sitting back and enjoying these monsters.


Definitely enjoying the beast! I'm done messing around with benches and oc, I was able to get mine to 1250/1600 at 1.237v (stock vid 1.1125) on air and love the the way BF3 plays 75fps smoothly on ultra with 4xmsaa ... much better than my 2 previous cfx 6950's before it
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
The RED SectoR
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VI Hero Zotac Geforce GTX 780 Ti  8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 830 256GB LG MODISC Blu-ray Corsair H100i Win7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
X-Star 2710 110Hz Saitek Eclipse Black/Red Illuminated NZXT HALE82-850w CM 690 III 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder 2013 SS QcK Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC360 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD Radeon HD 7950/7970/7990 Owners Thread