I have a new Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 from about a week ago. I have had no problems running it in 2D mode. However when playing games, I often get a hard lockup (meaning sound loop, no input response, forced reset). After this I did some further testing to try to narrow down exactly what the problem is. The problem seems to occur in various games. I am a game developer and have 2 monitors on the system in question. I do NOT disable my second monitor when gaming as I use it to run debug consoles and adjust other in game settings on the fly for the products I'm working on. However as a test I did disable the 2nd monitor before testing for lockups in a game. This made the problem go away. 10 hours plus and no problem. So it seems I am having these lockups when I have my main monitor in 3D mode and the 2nd monitor in 2D mode. Although it occurs no matter what I'm doing in 2D mode on the other monitor, I can get it to occur usually within 5 minutes if I'm watching a video or doing any sort of video work on the 2nd monitor at the time.
Below are the things I have tried, without success, to eliminate the problem:
- I have used several drivers: the ones that came with the card, 8.921.2 RC11 AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 driver, and the AMD Catalyst™ 12.2 Pre-Certified Driver
- I have run registry cleaners, driver cleaners, and disabled / uninstalled any sort of other GPU software
- I have not overclocked the card whatsoever and have disabled AMD overdrive
- I have tried disabling ULPS in the registry without luck
- I have used GPU-Z to monitor the card just before lockups and noticed nothing unusual
My system has been in use for 1.5 years without problems before this with another video card. It's specs are:
Asus Rampage III Gene
Intel 980x Processor
Corsair 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit
I'm hoping that someone else with 2 monitors can attempt to reproduce this problem (game on one monitor, video playback / other 2D stuff on 2nd monitor) and see if they get these lockups. I'm trying to figure out if this is a driver issue or a hardware issue. I have contacted Sapphire and AMD but they are busy running me through very mundane tests I've already done.