Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Re-Build Log] "Tubig" - TH10, RIVE, 4960X, 780x3, LSI 9260-8i, 1.5TB SSDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Re-Build Log] "Tubig" - TH10, RIVE, 4960X, 780x3, LSI 9260-8i, 1.5TB SSDs - Page 3

post #21 of 143
Thread Starter 
So, I did some test fitting of the fans + rad + case.

I have some concerns and I am looking for some advise.

The supplied screws from the Triebwerk fans are M3 threaded and are 2.5" long. The wholes in the XSPC radiators are 6/32 UNC.

The do "screw" in, but I wouldnt say its a secure fit. They barely catch on and when compared to the supplied XSPC 6/32 UNC screws, you can tell the difference.

I have tried to source locally 6-32x2-1/2" UNC machine screws, but the longest I could find was 2". I can order online, but would like to avoid that.

What are your thoughts on perhaps using some teflon tape on the screws prior to threading into the rad?

I am sure others have gone through this....ideas boys and girls?
post #22 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by YP5 Toronto View Post

So, I did some test fitting of the fans + rad + case.
I have some concerns and I am looking for some advise.
The supplied screws from the Triebwerk fans are M3 threaded and are 2.5" long. The wholes in the XSPC radiators are 6/32 UNC.
The do "screw" in, but I wouldnt say its a secure fit. They barely catch on and when compared to the supplied XSPC 6/32 UNC screws, you can tell the difference.
I have tried to source locally 6-32x2-1/2" UNC machine screws, but the longest I could find was 2". I can order online, but would like to avoid that.
What are your thoughts on perhaps using some teflon tape on the screws prior to threading into the rad?
I am sure others have gone through this....ideas boys and girls?

Teflon sounds fine.
2nd Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] 2500k [4.5ghz] [1.3 volts] [AsRock] P67 Extreme 6 [Sapphire] 6950 Toxic (@ Stock) [Samsung] Low voltage memory [@1866 mHz 9-9-9-24] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[Corsair] 120gb Force GT Some Lite-On thing [Coolermaster] V8 Winders 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Gateway] FDH2402 [CM Storm] QuickFire TK [XFX] Core Edition PRO850W [In Win] Dragon Rider 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
[CM Storm] Sentinel Advance II [AUDIOTRAK] Prodigy HD2 ADVANCE DE [Polk Audio] PSW 505 and Monitor 40's Denon AVR-791 
Audio
Infinity P153's 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] 2500k [4.5ghz] [1.3 volts] [AsRock] P67 Extreme 6 [Sapphire] 6950 Toxic (@ Stock) [Samsung] Low voltage memory [@1866 mHz 9-9-9-24] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[Corsair] 120gb Force GT Some Lite-On thing [Coolermaster] V8 Winders 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Gateway] FDH2402 [CM Storm] QuickFire TK [XFX] Core Edition PRO850W [In Win] Dragon Rider 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
[CM Storm] Sentinel Advance II [AUDIOTRAK] Prodigy HD2 ADVANCE DE [Polk Audio] PSW 505 and Monitor 40's Denon AVR-791 
Audio
Infinity P153's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by YP5 Toronto View Post

Stouffville! I just moved up from Markham. I am at 10th and Hoover.
Shipping and handling $156.00 USD!!!!
You will also get dinged for Broker Fees and Canadian Taxes, they use UPS. If they used US Postal Service, it would be a bit cheaper as they don't charge broker fees.

I'm at 9th and Hoover redface.gif

Damn, thats alot of cash for shipping and handling. I refuse to have anything shipped by UPS after I got raped on their ridiculous fees for an order a few years ago. If a vendor only ships by UPS I won't buy anthything from them. But in the grand scheme of blowing so much money on parts $156 doesn't seem like much.

For your 6-32 screw issue you could try Brofasco. They sell all sorts of fastners there and would most likely have the length you need. I seem to remember Home depot having smaller 6-32 lengths all the way up to 2.5".
Edited by Homewrecker - 1/17/12 at 6:53pm
post #24 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewrecker View Post

I'm at 9th and Hoover redface.gif
Damn, thats alot of cash for shipping and handling. I refuse to have anything shipped by UPS after I got raped on their ridiculous fees for an order a few years ago. If a vendor only ships by UPS I won't buy anthything from them. But in the grand scheme of blowing so much money on parts $156 doesn't seem like much.
For your 6-32 screw issue you could try Brofasco. They sell all sorts of fastners there and would most likely have the length you need. I seem to remember Home depot having smaller 6-32 lengths all the way up to 2.5".

Checked already... 6-32 x 2" is as long as they get at home depot/rona/lowes. Once you go to larger threads they go to 3-1/2" and even 4".

Going to pass by the Brafasco in Markham.
Edited by YP5 Toronto - 1/17/12 at 7:48pm
post #25 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by YP5 Toronto View Post

Checked already... 6-32 x 2" is as long as they get at home depot/rona/lowes. Once you go to larger threads they go to 3-1/2" and even 4".
Going to pass by the Brafasco in Markham.

If you can't find the exact length you need you could take the next size up, thread a nut or two down on it and then using a Dremel carefully cut to the length you need. After your done thread the nut(s) off the screw. The nut will help "straighten" or "recut" any of the burrs on the end of the thread. The use a file to get rid of any sharp edges that may catch the Rad threads.

This method has gotten me out of a few jams - not PC but Automotive related.
post #26 of 143
frozencpu.com has the exact screws you're looking for and they're located in NY state so the shipping shouldn't be too bad; also you can choose to ship by USPS from them if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g55/c525/s1412/list/p1/Screws-Screws_by_Length-2_12_Long_6-32_thrd-Page1.html

There are the screws you're looking for. (can't help but say that and think of Star Wars)
Big Beauty
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro XFX R9 290x XFX R9 290x 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Custom Water Loop. 1 x 360mm and 1 x 240mm. Bot... Windows 7 Pro x64 Overlord 1440p 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition Cooler Master 1000w HAF 932 Razer Naga 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad Steelseries Siberia V2 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Beauty
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro XFX R9 290x XFX R9 290x 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Custom Water Loop. 1 x 360mm and 1 x 240mm. Bot... Windows 7 Pro x64 Overlord 1440p 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition Cooler Master 1000w HAF 932 Razer Naga 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad Steelseries Siberia V2 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewrecker View Post

If you can't find the exact length you need you could take the next size up, thread a nut or two down on it and then using a Dremel carefully cut to the length you need. After your done thread the nut(s) off the screw. The nut will help "straighten" or "recut" any of the burrs on the end of the thread. The use a file to get rid of any sharp edges that may catch the Rad threads.
This method has gotten me out of a few jams - not PC but Automotive related.

Thanks! none of the retail hardward places in the GTA carry longer then 2" in that thread size. I am headed to Brafasco at lunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfej View Post

frozencpu.com has the exact screws you're looking for and they're located in NY state so the shipping shouldn't be too bad; also you can choose to ship by USPS from them if I'm not mistaken.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g55/c525/s1412/list/p1/Screws-Screws_by_Length-2_12_Long_6-32_thrd-Page1.html
There are the screws you're looking for. (can't help but say that and think of Star Wars)

Awesome! Can't believe I missed that. Its a bit steep for 4 screws, but I will go that route if all else fails. I have to order a few more things from Frozen to complete the build, so thank you,
Edited by YP5 Toronto - 1/18/12 at 1:37pm
post #28 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by YP5 Toronto View Post

Awesome! Can't believe I missed that. Its a bit steep for 4 screws, but I will go that route if all else fails. I have to order a few more things from Frozen to complete the build, so thank you,

How did you make out at Brafasco?

By the time you add shipping, duties and tax for those screws it probably wont be worth the trouble.

Edit: I just just checked Brafasco's catalog and they only list a length up to 2 inches.

Edit again: I checked one of our Aviation Fastener Suppliers that we use and they do carry that size. They have them in black oxide as well along with socket heads (Allen), Pan Heads, etc. The only catch I believe is that you have to buy a certain amount. The company is called Fastenal and their url is http://www.fastenal.com. Not sure if you want to consider that as an option but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
Edited by Homewrecker - 1/18/12 at 6:15pm
post #29 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewrecker View Post

How did you make out at Brafasco?
By the time you add shipping, duties and tax for those screws it probably wont be worth the trouble.
Edit: I just just checked Brafasco's catalog and they only list a length up to 2 inches.
Edit again: I checked one of our Aviation Fastener Suppliers that we use and they do carry that size. They have them in black oxide as well along with socket heads (Allen), Pan Heads, etc. The only catch I believe is that you have to buy a certain amount. The company is called Fastenal and their url is http://www.fastenal.com. Not sure if you want to consider that as an option but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Found some..but 3" long. Bought them anyways, going to have to break out the dremel to cut them down to the size I need.

Fastenal was way too expensive for the qty i needed and the shipping. Thanks for the heads up though.
post #30 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by YP5 Toronto View Post

Awesome! Can't believe I missed that. Its a bit steep for 4 screws, but I will go that route if all else fails. I have to order a few more things from Frozen to complete the build, so thank you,

No problem, I had to buy some screws from them and remember seeing that size on their website. thumb.gif
Big Beauty
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro XFX R9 290x XFX R9 290x 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Custom Water Loop. 1 x 360mm and 1 x 240mm. Bot... Windows 7 Pro x64 Overlord 1440p 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition Cooler Master 1000w HAF 932 Razer Naga 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad Steelseries Siberia V2 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Beauty
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro XFX R9 290x XFX R9 290x 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro Custom Water Loop. 1 x 360mm and 1 x 240mm. Bot... Windows 7 Pro x64 Overlord 1440p 120hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition Cooler Master 1000w HAF 932 Razer Naga 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad Steelseries Siberia V2 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Re-Build Log] "Tubig" - TH10, RIVE, 4960X, 780x3, LSI 9260-8i, 1.5TB SSDs