Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition* - Page 223

Poll Results: Was this guide helpful?

Poll expired: Oct 17, 2012  
  • 80% (237)
    Yes (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 15% (45)
    Yes (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 2% (7)
    No (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 2% (7)
    No (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard).
296 Total Votes  
post #2221 of 9565
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootercomputer View Post

If you can play the games when your settings are at default, then the fact that you are getting crashes while playing games with your system OCed indicates that your system is not stable. I cannot tell from your post how long you are running prime.

I will double check that the game doesn't crash at stock settings and get back to you.
post #2222 of 9565
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootercomputer View Post

If you can play the games when your settings are at default, then the fact that you are getting crashes while playing games with your system OCed indicates that your system is not stable. I cannot tell from your post how long you are running prime.

The game is stable when running at stock settings. The fact that my game crashes when I go back to my 4.7 settings suggests that the OC is unstable which, according to the guide, I should increase my turbo boost or adjust my CPU PLL. I guess my questions are this... If I continue increasing my turbo boost, at what point is it too much? And what are some common desirable PLL changes?
Edited by tkoreaper - 12/23/12 at 9:25pm
post #2223 of 9565
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoreaper View Post

The game is stable when running at stock settings. The fact that my game crashes when I go back to my 4.7 settings suggests that the OC is unstable which, according to the guide, I should increase my turbo boost or adjust my CPU PLL. I guess my questions are this... If I continue increasing my turbo boost, at what point is it too much? And what are some common desirable PLL changes?

First, where do I locate your system specs? I never did learn that on this forum. I always just put mine in my sig. I know there's another way to post your specs.

What happens if you step down to say 4.6GHz, just lower your mult, leave everything else as it, can you play the games without crashing? Do you need to go to 4.5, 4.4, whatever? Whenever I've overclocked, I always look for what my chip and mobo will give me easily. In my z68 system as listed in my sig, I got it to 4.5GHz very quickly, and no matter what i did, it would BSOD or crash or freeze or whatever if I went up to 4.6. Personally, I was ecstatic that I got to 4.5GHz, and I wanted a stable system, so I stopped there. Plus, under full load running Prime95, I rarely reached or exceeded core temps of 70. And that's on air. So I'm content with 4.5 Also, I simply do not have the time to try every imaginable tweak to bump it up a bit.

Which brings me to one other question, how long do you run prime?

Good luck.

marty
post #2224 of 9565
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootercomputer View Post

First, where do I locate your system specs? I never did learn that on this forum. I always just put mine in my sig. I know there's another way to post your specs.
What happens if you step down to say 4.6GHz, just lower your mult, leave everything else as it, can you play the games without crashing? Do you need to go to 4.5, 4.4, whatever? Whenever I've overclocked, I always look for what my chip and mobo will give me easily. In my z68 system as listed in my sig, I got it to 4.5GHz very quickly, and no matter what i did, it would BSOD or crash or freeze or whatever if I went up to 4.6. Personally, I was ecstatic that I got to 4.5GHz, and I wanted a stable system, so I stopped there. Plus, under full load running Prime95, I rarely reached or exceeded core temps of 70. And that's on air. So I'm content with 4.5 Also, I simply do not have the time to try every imaginable tweak to bump it up a bit.
Which brings me to one other question, how long do you run prime?
Good luck.
marty

The issues I was having were rather strange. I started over and went with trying to get 4.5 stable. The odd thing is that I'd bump up my turbo boost voltage until my system would boot which was around .59v and a 5 minute prime test would pass, however some programs still refused to run such as my catalyst control panel. So I bumped it even further to .70v and everything is working now.

When I was at 4.7 I had the same issues and my turbo was set to .90v... I didn't try adjusting it any higher because I don't know how much is too much so I thought I'd ask first. I'm confident that I have 4.5 stable and would like to push beyond that. I am bottle necked by the CPU in my game and would like to try to push it a little further to relieve some of that if possible, that's why I was at 4.7 to start with.

My specs are:
Corsair HX750W PSU
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo
Intel i5-3570k CPU
16 GB of DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance RAM
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
All in a HAF X Case
post #2225 of 9565
tkoreaper, a five minute prime test is pretty short. Now I'm not one to rune prime for 24 hours like some advocate here, but I'll run it for up to 3 hours. I have found that prime95, or OCT, will fail well after 5 minutes. Plus, I should add that the first benchmark test I run is always memtest to ensure that my memory is stable at default speeds.

When you say: "I am bottle necked (italics added) by the CPU in my game and would like to try to push it a little further to relieve some of that if possible, that's why I was at 4.7 to start with".

Are you an on-line gamer? Cause I know that every last tweak matters in on-line gaming, even though I've never partaken. In any case, if you are looking for every possible speed tweak, then perhaps make sure you are stable on prime for at least an hour or two at 4.5 and then try 4.6, get stable, then keep going. Perhaps you might want to look at what they call the 5.0 OC club or something like that here at OC.net, folks that report reaching 5.0GHz or above and verify it I think with a cpu-z screen shot. Anyway, those are the folks that have tweaked this or that and attained those high speeds. You could check out how they did it. But it still depends on individual chips and various mobo idiosyncrasies. I know I probably could get my system running faster than 4.5GHz, but I have no compelling reason to push it there other than the satisfaction of knowing I can do so.

I still have a Gigabyte DS3 with a c2d e6600. At one point, I had it OCed to 3.35GHz, but my voltages were all high, and even with a Tuniq tower as my HSF, I had somewhat higher temps. Plus, it was never 100% stable. But when I dropped it to 3.2GHz (8 X 400), the system was rock solid stable, minimal bumps in voltages and the like, and it's been stable like that for four years now. For any OC, I always look for that "sweet spot" of speed + stability.

Good luck and happy holidays.

Also, one other thought, you have 16G of ram. Is that 4 X 4, or 8 X 2? If the former, what happens if you just run 4 X 2?

marty
post #2226 of 9565
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootercomputer View Post

tkoreaper, a five minute prime test is pretty short. Now I'm not one to rune prime for 24 hours like some advocate here, but I'll run it for up to 3 hours. I have found that prime95, or OCT, will fail well after 5 minutes. Plus, I should add that the first benchmark test I run is always memtest to ensure that my memory is stable at default speeds.
When you say: "I am bottle necked (italics added) by the CPU in my game and would like to try to push it a little further to relieve some of that if possible, that's why I was at 4.7 to start with".
Are you an on-line gamer? Cause I know that every last tweak matters in on-line gaming, even though I've never partaken. In any case, if you are looking for every possible speed tweak, then perhaps make sure you are stable on prime for at least an hour or two at 4.5 and then try 4.6, get stable, then keep going. Perhaps you might want to look at what they call the 5.0 OC club or something like that here at OC.net, folks that report reaching 5.0GHz or above and verify it I think with a cpu-z screen shot. Anyway, those are the folks that have tweaked this or that and attained those high speeds. You could check out how they did it. But it still depends on individual chips and various mobo idiosyncrasies. I know I probably could get my system running faster than 4.5GHz, but I have no compelling reason to push it there other than the satisfaction of knowing I can do so.
I still have a Gigabyte DS3 with a c2d e6600. At one point, I had it OCed to 3.35GHz, but my voltages were all high, and even with a Tuniq tower as my HSF, I had somewhat higher temps. Plus, it was never 100% stable. But when I dropped it to 3.2GHz (8 X 400), the system was rock solid stable, minimal bumps in voltages and the like, and it's been stable like that for four years now. For any OC, I always look for that "sweet spot" of speed + stability.
Good luck and happy holidays.
Also, one other thought, you have 16G of ram. Is that 4 X 4, or 8 X 2? If the former, what happens if you just run 4 X 2?
marty
It is an online game, Planetside 2 in fact. As far as RAM is concerned, I use 2x8.
post #2227 of 9565
Changing the Offset isn't mentioned in a guide yet I'm seeing people talk about raising it, when should I raise this? And, again, how much is too much turbo voltage???
post #2228 of 9565
@tkoreaper

What is the core voltage according to CPU-Z while running at load. Also, P95 runs tests in 5 min intervals (if you have it set up as the OP describes). The even intervals (2nd,4th,6th etc) run hotter than the odd intervals. I'd recommend running at least 10 min and preferrably 20 min to get a better indication of stability and temperatures.

Your doing things right for the most part. I don't remember what you said your LLC was set at but I have my best luck running it at setting 2. 1 tends to put too much voltage at load to the cpu. If you're leaving it on auto or 5 then that's probably why you're needing to set your turbo voltage so high. I have my 2700k running at 4.8 24/7 with 1.33 volts (some run lower some run higher) with my offset at around -.030 and turbo at +.012 and LLC of 2. It doesn't matter so much what you set your turbo/offset at as much as what your load voltage is (cpu-z reading). That's what you want to go off of and adjust the turbo/offset accordingly. A negative offset gives you lower than stock idle voltages.

I'm still learning myself, and am getting more and more experience daily. I have a hard time settling on a overclock, always think I can get more or do better!
Spidey81
(19 items)
 
MINI-REAKTOR
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2700k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HD 6950 HD 6950 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Sniper  OCZ Vertex 3 Sony Optiarc DVD-RW XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK FC-6970 x2 XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir (black vinyl version) XSPC RX360 XSPC RX240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom PWM Fan Controller Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Samsung SyncMaster 2433BW Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850W NZXT Switch 810 (black) Microsoft Sidewinder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k Asrock Z77E-ITX Powercolor HD 7950 2 x 4GB Samsung low profile 1600Mhz 1.35V DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
256GB Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD Custom CPU/GPU water loop Windows 7/8 64 bit Silverston SFX 450 watt modular gold rated 
Case
Compact Splash by She Loved E and Dwood 
  hide details  
Reply
Spidey81
(19 items)
 
MINI-REAKTOR
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2700k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HD 6950 HD 6950 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Sniper  OCZ Vertex 3 Sony Optiarc DVD-RW XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK FC-6970 x2 XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir (black vinyl version) XSPC RX360 XSPC RX240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom PWM Fan Controller Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Samsung SyncMaster 2433BW Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850W NZXT Switch 810 (black) Microsoft Sidewinder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k Asrock Z77E-ITX Powercolor HD 7950 2 x 4GB Samsung low profile 1600Mhz 1.35V DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
256GB Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD Custom CPU/GPU water loop Windows 7/8 64 bit Silverston SFX 450 watt modular gold rated 
Case
Compact Splash by She Loved E and Dwood 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2229 of 9565
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey81 View Post

@tkoreaper
What is the core voltage according to CPU-Z while running at load. Also, P95 runs tests in 5 min intervals (if you have it set up as the OP describes). The even intervals (2nd,4th,6th etc) run hotter than the odd intervals. I'd recommend running at least 10 min and preferrably 20 min to get a better indication of stability and temperatures.
Your doing things right for the most part. I don't remember what you said your LLC was set at but I have my best luck running it at setting 2. 1 tends to put too much voltage at load to the cpu. If you're leaving it on auto or 5 then that's probably why you're needing to set your turbo voltage so high. I have my 2700k running at 4.8 24/7 with 1.33 volts (some run lower some run higher) with my offset at around -.030 and turbo at +.012 and LLC of 2. It doesn't matter so much what you set your turbo/offset at as much as what your load voltage is (cpu-z reading). That's what you want to go off of and adjust the turbo/offset accordingly. A negative offset gives you lower than stock idle voltages.
I'm still learning myself, and am getting more and more experience daily. I have a hard time settling on a overclock, always think I can get more or do better!

Thanks for the reply. I'm at 4.7 at the moment and ran a quick 5 minute test. My temps were reaching 90-100 which is high, I'd like them to be at 90 or lower. My LLC is set to 3 I believe, but I will try 2. My offset is still set to the .005v and the highest my voltage got during the tests was 1.456. My turbo boost is set to +.203v... I'm not sure if that is considered high or not.

EDIT: I switched to LLC 2 and it seems to be more stable, but it's running hotter and my voltage is getting pretty high. Nothing else was changed. My temps peaked at 105 with core 0 reaching a max of 95. My voltage would go between 1.42 and 1.48, but it did peak at 1.496 at one point which is close to the 1.5 limit in the guide. I'm going to lower my turbo now since i changed my LLC and see what happens.
Edited by tkoreaper - 12/24/12 at 2:43pm
post #2230 of 9565
If you're seeing 90-100 within 5 min then you've got trouble. You're voltage/clocks are too high for your cooling capacity. Not to mention that 1.45 is really high for your clocks. I've seen quite a few oc's on these forums and not many chips are so bad as to need 1.45 to hit 4.7. That is most likely the source of your high temps.

try backing off your turbo to about .120 with level 2 LLC. That should give you a stable clock and reduce your voltage and therefore temps drastically. Also, make sure and run P95 at LEAST 10 min if temps are good in the first part of the test. The temps you're seeing within 5 min will increase 5 to 10 C from where they are. I know the guide says a quick 5 minute test to see if the oc is somewhat stable. However, that's just a quick check and won't guarantee complete stability under load in real life scenarios.

Personally, I try to stay away from voltages from 1.45 to 1.5 cause I'm a bit paranoid about degradation of the CPU. When I tried voltages over 1.4 my temps went nuts, even with the custom loop I have. Some chips just behave differently with different volts. My sweet spot seems to be right around 4.8. I can get that with decent voltage and pretty good temps. It just takes some time/patience/experimentation to zero in on the best clock/voltage for your CPU.

You may also try reseating your heatsink to make sure that you've got good contact. The pea/grain of rice method seem to be the best when applying thermal paste. I recently did that myself and got it running a couple degrees cooler. Here's a good video showing why it's better than spreading the paste over the CPU. By the way, what cooler are you running? Don't remember what you said you had.
Spidey81
(19 items)
 
MINI-REAKTOR
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2700k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HD 6950 HD 6950 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Sniper  OCZ Vertex 3 Sony Optiarc DVD-RW XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK FC-6970 x2 XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir (black vinyl version) XSPC RX360 XSPC RX240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom PWM Fan Controller Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Samsung SyncMaster 2433BW Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850W NZXT Switch 810 (black) Microsoft Sidewinder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k Asrock Z77E-ITX Powercolor HD 7950 2 x 4GB Samsung low profile 1600Mhz 1.35V DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
256GB Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD Custom CPU/GPU water loop Windows 7/8 64 bit Silverston SFX 450 watt modular gold rated 
Case
Compact Splash by She Loved E and Dwood 
  hide details  
Reply
Spidey81
(19 items)
 
MINI-REAKTOR
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2700k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HD 6950 HD 6950 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Sniper  OCZ Vertex 3 Sony Optiarc DVD-RW XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK FC-6970 x2 XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir (black vinyl version) XSPC RX360 XSPC RX240 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom PWM Fan Controller Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Samsung SyncMaster 2433BW Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 850W NZXT Switch 810 (black) Microsoft Sidewinder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k Asrock Z77E-ITX Powercolor HD 7950 2 x 4GB Samsung low profile 1600Mhz 1.35V DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
256GB Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD Custom CPU/GPU water loop Windows 7/8 64 bit Silverston SFX 450 watt modular gold rated 
Case
Compact Splash by She Loved E and Dwood 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*